Salvaging

I'm trying to take this thing apart, it's fucked, to salvage what I can for a gaming computer. Here's the problem: I have no goddamned clue WHAT I'm looking at. Can someone tell me what is okay to keep and how to take it apart?

Pic related, current state of the wreck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCSy7VGPa8Np8PNjV7Mz-xZg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gg putting the RAM on the carpet, faggot. it's been shocked and ruined already

the power supply has touched the ground, it is now been ground faulted and will explode

also watch your feet there is a knife on the floor

You failed to mention that the computer is also sitting on its side. OP's pretty much fucked. I also pray for those who's computers you try to "fix"

Surely you are not this retarded. How old are you?

Here's my suggestion: Put it back together, go on youtube and search for "how to build a pc", open it up again when you know what the parts are called and what they do.

Go on Newegg
RMA everything while keking
???
PROFIT!!!

yeah thats not how it works

are those ide cables

what the fuck is that heatsink

prebuilts are weird inside

I'm sure this Pentium 4 era trash will run pong majestically

nigger throw it out

So let's see what you have...
It's a BTX motherboard, so that means it's a Pentium D at best. That heatsink means it's a lower end CPU. Single slot passively cooled video card of that era means that is useless for anything but a backup for when all your others have failed. RAM is DDR2 so it's useless for modern systems. Power supply was sketchy when it was new. Other than that you have what looks like a TV tuner card, a modem, and probably a firewire card. You can get the fan out of the heatsink assembly and maybe use it for something.

To get the expansion cards out, I think there's a tab near the center of the black thing. Push it toward the floor, then it should swing downwards away from the case.

That looks like an old Dell running P4 or Core2Duo. The motherboard will be a weird proprietary size. I can't be bothered to count pins but the RAM is probably DDR2. It's going to be hot, slow and minimally upgradeable.

This

Also this

BTX is a factor still in use. That heatsink doesnt mean shit either. The actual giveaway is the floppy and S-Video output.

5/10 - You tried.

Keep the DVD drive, HDD and SATA cables as spare/emergency parts, thrash everything else.

A disk drive is always useful for installing a new OS without a flash drive, the HDD is sata and can be reused in a new build, if that PSU is over 400w and has a 24 pin, 8 pin and some molex/sata connections it can be reused (so long as it works)

Ram can be tricky because not all formats work with everything.

If you are new to building computers, go to logical increments and find something in your price range, check out compatability on pcpartpicker, find items with good reviews, etc, etc

Google each of the needed components and learn about them

you must be fun at parties

>letting your electrical cuckponents roll around on the carpet like your wifes black lover

i took the b8

If ram was ruined by being on the carpet than I would be down so many sticks of ram.

Avoid doing it though. Especially if you are supersticious.

>wifes black lover
>not recognising the hairclip
>Not realising OP is a grill, probably a little kid with a screwdriver.

Welp.

BTX is dead. Find me any relatively modern one.

Dell used at least two types of heatsinks with that case. Check out the top of the duct; there are holes meant for heat pipes in the tower type heatsinks which were used for the faster, hotter CPUs.

You know it.

Keep the cd drive and hard drives, and all the wires. That's what I did when I find a pc in the trash, the cd and lots of the wires and cable went into my new pc build. Saved me maybe 50 dollars.

>Gaming computer
>Those components
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahahah
You're just baiting, right? RIGHT?

What the FUCK are you even doing

oh fuck I have the same PC in my basement for some causal gaming shit - nothing too serious. Mine had a GeForce GT 9800 which is ok. Milage may very, but if you replace the thermal paste on the cooler, it actually runs pretty quiet and works pretty decent. Considering converting it to a server for my kazakhstani moon toons

Look up a faggot on youtube tech by matt he wastes his time on prebuilts and shit to make poorfag gaming computers.

youtube.com/channel/UCSy7VGPa8Np8PNjV7Mz-xZg

Save the hard drive and the wifi card. Also any SATA cables