/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread:

Old one is past bump limit.

Other urls found in this thread:

easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/restore-system.html
easeus.com/support/todo-backup/create-emergency-disk.html
github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/releases/download/1.3.1/ClementineSetup-1.3.1.exe
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA22F3X09341
faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=85548
debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s04.html.en
howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/
forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/What-size-drive-does-the-T420s-ThinkPad-require/ta-p/693457
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A few friends of mine convinced me to try Linux, I didn't like it so now I'm switching back to Windows. I made a backup of my hard drive before switching, but I have no idea how to actually use it and get Windows back on. It's a pbd file, and it's close to 400 GB. Any ideas?

What program did you use to make the backup?

Are there any good reader programs that can read various ebook formats such as pdf, epub, djvu, mobi, AZW, etc., or do you have multiple programs for these types of things?
In either case, which programs do you use?

foxit reader is goat for pdf

It's was called EaseUS Todo, the free version. I only used it because one of those same friends told me too, but I'm no longer in contact with him so I can't ask him how to use it.

What is the chepeast hosting for a website? 1 Year and in the USA preferred

Don't care about botnet

You need to make a recovery disk that you can boot your computer to. It will help you load your system back from that file.

easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/restore-system.html

The bootable cd, is that the back up file? Or the Windows disk?

I'm guessing this is redundant, but you might not want to let friends convince you to uproot your system if you have no idea how to fix it.

The bootable cd is either a literal CD/DVD, or a small series of files written to a flashdrive. Either way it should only be a few hundred megabytes. The idea is that you load up a temporary operating system from that CD/DVD/USB and that little OS contains a version of EaseUS that lets you copy the 400GB backup file back on to your HDD/SDD so that it's like none of this mess ever happened.

It was fine at the time, but the friend who knew how to do all this is no longer a friend, so I can't really help that.

The OS, where do I get that from? Like an actual copy of Windows? Because the article doesn't say anything, and I can't imagine an OS that already has Ease on it.

So my phone is pretty much destroyed software wise. Can't browse any site besides Sup Forums without a million popups. Music player likes to close randomly. Heats up for no discernable reason at random times throughout the day...

I don't know anything about smartphones. That old lady who keeps getting toolbars on internet explorer? That's me with cell phones.

So I guess what I'm asking is how do I undo whatever it is I am done here and where can I learn more about this "smartphone phenomenon", because they seem to have a big future, unlike my familiar beige boxes.

Pic related my phone.

easeus.com/support/todo-backup/create-emergency-disk.html

No, I still don't think you're getting it. When you have EaseUS, or most any other backup program installed on your computer, the program gives you the option to create a rescue disk (CD/DVD/flashdrive) that you can boot your system to if something goes wrong. Most people (ideally) make that disk before they start tinkering with their system. You may need to find a windows computer and install EaseUS on it in order to make that disk now.

Alright, got it. Last question, where does the backup file fit into all this? Do I need to put it on the disk while making it, or will it prompt me for that during the boot up?

Is there a WebGL tutorial that teaches me entirely correct information?

Last time I prepared a WebGL program I had to mix and match to get something that worked, and I can't be bothered doing it again.

Reposting:
Why is the screw on the left side of the cpu cooler mount not tightening?
When tightening the screw from below the lower nut should move up but it moves down instead

So you're asking me if you need to put a 400GB file onto a 4GB DVD? If your pbd file is on an external drive, just make sure that's connected before you begin. If it's on an internal drive besides the one you're about to restore to, then there's no special steps. When you've loaded up the emergency disk you will be able to locate and select your backup file from among the drives that are part of/attached to your system.

Yes, it's on an external. Thanks a lot user, I think I've got it now.

stripped threads maybe?

My idiotic self bought a heatsink that's so large it blocks the PCIe 3.0 x16 lane.

I've installed my video card in the second PCIe x16 (running at 8x) lane because everything I read said that, at the time, nothing was close to saturating even the 8x lane on PCIe 3.

Is this still true for modern high end cards like the 480 and 1080? And how quickly will this become a problem?

if the threads are stripped (how could I check this) and where could I get new screws?
thanks

Can you run a linux software on windows?
I'm using clementine on linux and I kinda wanna go back to windows however I've grown attached to clementine. Mostly because I have my playcounts on songs lol

how do i fix screen tearing on youtube (and all other web videos) on chromium ubuntu 16.04

github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/releases/download/1.3.1/ClementineSetup-1.3.1.exe

holy shit brah thanks

Best torrenting software?
I see this question a lot but I never really cared for it.
I use qbit but I don't like how it says error everytime I move the file after it's finished downloading

whats a good way to broadcast video from my home PC out to only a few people on the internet?

I wanna stream some movies for my friends.

vlc

What no other alternative?

Hey guys, I was hoping to sell a bunch of old reddit accounts from like 5-7 years ago when I used the site, but since I'm not going to be completely anonymous when I give this people my info so they can pay me, I want to make sure I didn't have any sketchy posts I deleted. Do any of you know if there's any way to view deleted posts? I tried Uneddit, but it just seems to load indefinitely and never shows the deleted comments like it's supposed to. Any ideas?

well that's one option

I'm gonna install Ubuntu Server on an old laptop. Then I'm gonna install Unity and some torrent client that I will keep running 24/7.

Can you install Unity on Ubuntu Server? Is this what they call a seedbox or is there something more?

Alright thanks but i dont wanna use vlc

I'm going to partition my harddrive and install windows 8. Can I view the folders on ubuntu when I'm on windows? I'd rather drag and drop all the files rather than move them to my hdd then move it back. Takes about an hour and I hate using my hdd for that long desu

Is there any way to install linux fonts on win7? If not, are there any windows ports of linux fonts?

I have a samsung s5 and after the last software update I hate it. The camera no longer tries very hard to focus and the quality of the pictures went to shit. I used to damn near be able to macro with it, but now it's just like, fuck off. Also, it seems like the reception is worse but I'm not sure. I recently moved. I know, blah blah blah the s6 and the s7 are better, I don't care I just paid this one off and I swear they partially bricked it to get me to upgrade. Anyway, should I root it since it has unlocked status now? (got a message from t-shitmobile saying it's unlocked now that I own it) I still have insurance on it so will I be fucked if I send it in after rooting it? Supposedly on the s5 there is a way to tell if it's been rooted even after a factory reset.
TL;DR S5 - root or not? Will insurance be borked?

Where can I find windows themes? I want a different look on windows. I always see people with it

The last time I update my nvidia drivers it fucked up my performance so I rolled back. Is the most recent one worth the risk?

D E V I A N T A R T

Root it to try out custom ROMs.

It shouldn't effect insurance because you can always unroot it.

And just to clarify, a phone doesn't need to be unlocked to be rooted. What they mean by unlock is that you can now take that phone to another carrier. It doesn't effect whether it can be rooted.

No one?

Will this fit in a T420s
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA22F3X09341

I just started my CS class and I'm trying to write a program in C++ that stores player stats to a file, read the states from the file, and also update the file with new stats as well. I've got the updating the stats, I just need help with reading the stats and storing them so I can access them again within the program.

Anyone have a example I could look at to maybe get an idea?

What's the best way to remotely use a smart tv as the monitor of a computer? Or at least wirelessly, without using extra hardware.

does the smart tv support streaming video?
you could possibly stream your desktop as video, there'll be some latency, but that doesn't matter for things like playing movies

Living on-campus for a year, how easy is it to get a student help desk job for the university? I have an A+ certificate, and a fair amount of practice on my own with hardware, but nothing formal.

What should I be putting on my resume, or going about getting the positions?

use delimiters , space tab eol etc... to organize your data , so when you read it there is a clear pattern to things

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK IS THE KEYBIND TO DETACH IN VIRTUALBOX
I WENT TO INPUT AND IT FUCKING SET IT IN THE OPTIONS
BUT IT ALWAYS FUCKING CAPTURES THE GOD DAMN KEYBOARD NO MATTER WHAT THE FUCK I BIND ANY FUCKING THING TO

I had I thought what I wanted was a simple goal

Make movable files linked in Emacs so I can easy move between then in a non-liner manner.

I got this to work if the files NEVER move, but if I move anything the whole system breaks, even if all the files stay together in the same folder. I know this is because the first part of the link [driveA/userZ/folder1/folderG] =/= [driveB/userX/folder2/folderG] is not correct once moved. And I am not just dropping everything into the local root file every time, that is just bad practice.

I need a way to just have [*/folderG] = [*/folderG] or some simple search system that auto compensates for movement with a directory or tags or something.

How do I get this to work?

It is an error if it cant find the file???

Why is 6600k so much better than 6600 besides oc?

HOw long does is take to mount an iso?
I'm stuck at /sources/install.esd
I don't think it took this long last time? Maybe?
CUrrently at 18min

I was playing a video game and my screen froze and a horrible sound played until I did a hard reboot. No bluescreen or anything. I just built the PC recently. Drivers are up to date. Is it an overheating issue?

A normal mount takes a few seconds, ~15s for me.

However if the system is rebuilding some kind of index (often when first connecting to different file system or OS), then it can take awhile. It is effected by the connection speed (USB 1.0, is an ~eternity), size of drive and number of files. Lots of tiny file can slow it down. Thankfully once the index is built and saved it don't take as long next time, although it may still take time opening thing but not mounting the drive.

Do you see a progress bar or a changing name line to show it is actually working, and not just hung?

It was actually moving, just at a very slow pace. Run time says 35min an it's kind of close to the end. Kinda weird because I mounted ubuntu and w7 before and I don't think it took this long.

Would I lose all my data if I decrypt my bit locked partition? Not sure how I could copy it since it shows as an encrypted bit locked drive format.

How is this drive connected and used, what kind of data?

Do you have a lot of files in one folder, or in the main directory?
I know I had been just throwing interesting images into one folder and when ever I tried opening it took longer and longer to open. Breaking it into a few folders made each one open faster.

I did some reading and think designating a fixed mount point would speed it up next time as designated ones have fixed path they can reuse every time. But never bothered as I my small drive takes a few seconds to index what little I use and it is highly mobile, and my master archive takes ~40minutes but I connect it every few months and don't want to mess with drive paths as if I mess it up I would have to fix it.

Laptop shuts down the minute I unplug the power supply even though the battery is full and when I press the power button, it boots up with everything still intact and the battery starts losing charge from 100 to zero in a minute. What do? Should I replace battery?

Does sound like the battery is dead, how old is it?

installed minGW on windows 10. Every time I call gcc I get
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/5.3.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lpthread
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Eventhough the .c file i try to compile isn't even importing anything. Its just main returning 3.

its 200mhz faster stock, but mostly the OC since you can generally hit 4.2-4.5

Is your CPU overclocked?

Couple of years

Did you check the temperatures? There is enogh free(as in free of charge) software that can read it out for you. Read it while playing the game that fucked it up last time.

Zotac Firestorm question. Can I lower the target gpu temp without lowering the power target without affecting stability? Stock configuration is at 83c/100% and I don't really like 83c target

I sent in my 290x for an RMA today. What are the chances that Gigabyte will send me back a 390x if they can't fix my gpu?

Max power % or overclock %?

tree fiddy

I don't plan to overclock just yet, I just want to tweak the temperatures. Pic related is the stock configuration.

I tried changing the slider to 65c but the power also lowers and got a popup for unstability. I can however unlock that and just change the temp to 65 without changing the power% but I haven't clicked applied yet. Will that affect stability?

Not sure how the temp target works in zotac's software, I've only used msi afterburner

The power limit being at max and having a lower temp shouldn't really be bad for stability afaik, I've only used it with a 970 and you can max out the power limit and stay below 70c easy

I don't really think this is a stupid question but here goes.
Is there a way to download all the links at once in an archive like pic related? You dl each one by right-click save as, i've tried to do this to the parent directory to save them all at once but it only downloads a link to the archive.

wget
curl
downlthemall

Why is Virtualbox failing on my Win10 machine? I have tried at least 5 different previous builds and no matter what .iso I feed it, it simply won't start.

Can you recommend me a (preferably free as in freedom) alternative which is similarly easy to use?

I use netcat to receive data but it all comes jumbled without line breaks.
I want to line break every certain character but i'm not sure how.
basically if it was a text file with all data it would just be
cat file | sed 's/

How can I confirm if my HDD is broken or fixable?

If you have to ask that question its probably fucked

use WMware workstation, it's free now

If gpu is AMD 200/300 series and gpu memory brand is elpida, you're fucked.

It most likely is, but I'm not sure since it's acting a bit weird. Showing up during a startup, still beeing shown but unwritable for as long as the pc is goign and is simply not showing up during a restart until I've done a complete shutdown.

awesome, thanks

As someone who knows next to nothing about linux is there any site or link to info that can get a newfag like me up to date?

Is there a way to tell sellers from amazon to ship a screen a safe way? I bought a screen to replace a broken one on my laptop and they just sent it covered in bubble wrap and it was broken by the time I got it in the mail. I tried looking for a place that sells screens in my town but I don't think anyone does, or at least without high markup

read the fucking board sticky and get your ass to friendly linux thread

nope

1070 with Gskill

I'll try that next time

Will someone please search the drone registration database and see if this shows up?
FA3PNKM99X
I would myself but I can't right now.
Thanks.
>faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=85548

literally just go install ubuntu and start fucking around with the command line. within a week you'll be more knowledgeable than most of Sup Forums

If I want to learn to program(for the sake of learning to hack websites and computers themselves) what programming language should I start off with? I know just a little bit HTML. Would python be a good programming language to start off with? Or should I learn javascript first?

Yep hat the way to do it.

I got an old computer so I could reformat when I screwed up to bad. Then started copying people stuff I found on-line, biased on my goals and what I wanted to get done.

While I don't have a broad a scope as someone who formally studied it, I do have enough to get a handle and do what I want.

Now I have a boot able USB with all my OS and programs that I can use on any 64bit Intel system (although not all modules work on everything, it loads and lets me do stuff). I don't have a cloud, I got my home made USB master key, and that is more then enough for the common person to think I am some E1l+e Hacker.

It was me literally just messing around with basic gaols in mind.
If I want more I'll need to learn a proper language, rather then the cobble junk like I do now, but cobble junk works for just about everything I want and does way more then any normal user can dream of.

Theoretically, could someone make a open source project that had some kind of harmful secret code? Something that would be added when compiling the official binary.

how do i install my drivers for my realtek Ethernet drivers to work on my Debian install.
Any Debian bros there?
So far i have all the non free setup in my sources now do i just download my drivers put them on a USB then install them with grep?

How do i use X in virtualbox?
Guest addons installed
Tried nouveau, no luck
Tried nvidia, no luck.
What am i missing?

It would be pretty easy to slip some malicious code in, people very rarely actually audit open source software.

yes, unity is in the default ubuntu sources and can be installed and reinstalled whenever. I think it's called ubuntu-desktop

Wow, dealing with that hell a few weeks ago. May as well share the secret of the universe. Note I think I found every way to fix it, expect the one I needed (never mess with unsupported Mac hardware running modified firmware).

First give me some more details.
What do you got and what are you trying to do.

If it is just a standard Ethernet driver and you are willing to reinstall. You should be able to follow
debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s04.html.en
download the stuff you need, put the files on a USB under /firmware and plug it in before turning it on to install. Installer should grab the needed files off of the USB as it installs everything else.

If not then we take this to the next level.

There are ext4 filesystem readers for windows, I use ext2fsd

howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/

I have a Note 4 and it has been losing signal randomly as well as rebooting to the same tune of frequency. this is also happening to a friend who also has the same phone (same ROM & version) in another country. What are the odds that this is purely coincidental? Any other Note 4 users experience the same thing?

This is actually not uncommon for the 300 series cards. RMA

He has Nvidia though, a 1070 with gskill in it.
I have a 380x and it does that, checked the memory and yep it was elpida, fucking rebrands. Hynix doesn't have this problem. Gonna get an rx 480.

have a look into MacType, it provides some mac style fonts for windows. I think the official website has shut down though, search the archive rbt.asia/g for an installer link

google 'windows theme patcher'

forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/What-size-drive-does-the-T420s-ThinkPad-require/ta-p/693457

The ThinkPad T420s uses / requires a 2.5", 7mm high drive. The PSREF sheet specs for both SSD and conventional rotating media drives:

Some: Solid State Drive (SSD) / SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high
Some: Hard Disk Drive / SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high, Active Protection Systemâ„¢

Note that the standard T420 model accepts 7mm or 9.5mm thick drives.

What wattage PSU do you have?

I think you could just copy and paste the contents of the drive to get them in a unencrypted form

650W 80 plus Gold EVGA

My PC reboots randomly (Windows).

It's a new build, but I'm not sure what's wrong exactly. Using a Z170A, 6700k, and TP 850 Gold.

The event log records kernel-power-failure (with no additional details due to the very abrupt and premature termination of power).

I figured it may be the power supply unit, or the motherboard (e.g. providing wrong voltage).

Or it may be the UPS unit that the PC is connected to, which is shit and smaller than the PSU's capacity (~600W vs 850W).

The PC doesn't have a GPU/or other peripherals. It's just a CPU+fan+SSD, like ~150W at most.

I can't reproduce the problem. Where do I start?