BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread, privsep edition
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD...

Hit up the IRC: #baot on irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org

Ask questions, get answers, report off-topic arguments and tripfags.

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/lyrics.html#60f
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160901090415
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OpenBSD 6.0 comes out in a few hours.

I think it's actually up on some mirrors right now.

Daily reminder that BSD lacks any sort of drivers or packages of a modern Operating System!

Also, it boots and performs overall slower than Linux.

>VAX support removed

dropped

but the only user of the VAX port was theo

I know you're joking but there was really no need to continue supporting the VAX. If there is anyone still using a VAX I doubt they're using it on the public internet. The remaining machines can just continue to use OpenBSD 5.9 separated from the internet by an air gap.

POOP
O
O
P

BSD has no softwares
>muh ports
Ports have no security audits
>mitigations
Enjoy your software crashes

Switch to Linux already

Quit shitposting.

Refute

Shitposts don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Thought so, you can't argue back - because can't really deny it

>Ports have no security audits
Unaudited ≠ nonexistent. Also, there is software without ports.
>Enjoy your software crashes
Never even had it happen once. It's a good thing if it does happen though.
>Switch to Linux already
Blatant shitpost by some Linux scriptkiddie that can't stand the fact that something else exists.

>Unaudited ≠ nonexistent
So ports exist and they are unaudited? Thanks for agreeing.
>It's a good thing if it does happen though.
It happens and it hampers user experience

reeBSD is where I started with UNIX back in 1995 and it is an elegant OS. I have worked with SunOS (the original BSD variant), HP-UX, Digital UNIX, Ultrix, SCO, AIX, and multiple Solaris revs. and of course many Linux distributions. I now run Linux at home, but I still have a fondness for BSD.

But man, Linux is really far ahead in terms of usability

>So ports exist and they are unaudited? Thanks for agreeing
Why would I disagree with facts? I'm not a shitposter (unlike you)
>It happens and it hampers user experience
Like I said, never had it happen, been using OpenBSD for years. Why should I care about something that has potential to hamper user experience but never actually does?

Free*

The great (clear, complete, comprehensive) documentation, nice software interfaces (opensmtpd, pf, etc), and overall simplicity of *BSD are a big deal for usability.

I might agree with you when it comes to desktop discoverability/usability for GUI types (although you can get nearly that, OpenBSD's gnome setup is like three lines).

>The great (clear, complete, comprehensive) documentation, nice software interfaces (opensmtpd, pf, etc), and overall simplicity of *BSD are a big deal for usability
This

6.0, last release on CD. Future releases digital only?
openbsd.org/lyrics.html#60f

Fuck, I was going to start buying CD releases too

Only thing Linux has over BSD is the better hardware compatibility, which Linus managed to achieve by signing many ND contracts and including a lot of binary blobs and executables within the kernel. Most of BSD's hardware drivers are either written from scratch or produced by reverse engineering the hardware, which is why it takes longer for BSD to include support for hardware. BSD's support isn't completely terrible though, it has added drivers for the nvme controller which is used for the fastest SSD's out right now, and with them dropping old and obsolete architectures like VAX and so on, they'll be able to focus more development assets on porting hardware support. Things are overall getting better on the BSD side of things, but it's a very slow process.

and battery life, performance (particularly speed), btrfs, docker, kvm, the list goes on.

I like BSDs. Don't get me wrong. To say that the only advantage Linux enjoys over them is hardware is a gross understatement though. Compared to BSD, the Linux kernel is incredibly popular. A lot of advantages come with that, including the ones I mentioned above. If hardware was really the only thing holding BSD back, I would be using it right now instead of Gentoo. It isn't, so I'm not.

>they'll be able to focus more development assets on porting hardware support
really? their "development assets" were locked in supporting a dead architecture that had no change in 20 years? wew, you sure know what the fuck you're talking about.

There is no audits for ports trees because it's unofficial software numbnuts. It's like expecting an audit of everything in AUR, they're maintained by someone who volunteered to maintain it.

i honestly think CDs were undermining openbsd more than helping it

>and battery life, performance

According to who exactly? There are benchmarks out there showing that BSDs are faster at running certain Linux software faster than Linux.

>btrfs, docker,

Oh, btrfs, which is a cheap buggy knockoff of ZFS by Red Hat and docker which is a less feature rich version of FreeBSD's jails? Okay.

>kvm, the list goes on.
BSD's have their own alternatives.

Yes, they used it to primarily bug test for things which wouldn't be apparent on other architectures. They also did it because some of the developers used it, but now they're trying to drop support in favour of more modern architectures.

i just want arm packages

Sure, maybe benchmarks from a decade ago.

btrfs is faster and now both more stable and feature-rich than zfs. It's been that way for a couple of years now. Who cares if something came out of Red Hat? Docker is better than jails now, sorry. That's what happens when enough people care about something and throw resources at it.

bhyve is pretty terrible compared to kvm right now. That's because it's pretty new, but don't expect the gap to close any time soon with fewer people working on it.

I could also mention things like anemic MAC implementation and tools, no address space layout randomization in most BSDs, and other considerations, but I feel like I'm wasting my breath at this point. You can't fix a problem if you deny that one exists. I guess it's pretty easy not to see any if you aren't actively working on any of the tools that you use though.

I'm not even going to bother, this post is just filled with so much misinformation that you're not even trying anymore. Come back when you know what you're even talking about.

yeah, you're gonna have to be careful about quoting old benchmarks. those ones are years old and i can totally believe things have changed.

the most recent benchmarks i've seen show dragonfly on par or slightly faster than linux, but the other BSDs are somewhat slower. i think they're worth it despite that small loss. but i wouldn't assume it doesn't exist.

>btrfs, which is a cheap buggy knockoff of ZFS by Red Hat
It's actually a cheap buggy knockoff of ZFS by Oracle. They designed it and then they went and bought Sun and took over ZFS. Linux kernel devs couldn't use ZFS due to licensing concerns so they settled on btrfs.

>Living under a rock
BSDBabby stories #93

I think that is through a kernel module though, the kernel itself still doesn't have native support for ZFS. I'm not even sure if it will ever be merged into the kernel either. I think they're going to have to stay clear of it until Oracle sues one of the downstream distros and (hopefully) loses and sets a precedent for it.

Do remember ZFS on Linux is a part of the OpenZFS project which is supported by FreeBSD, illumos, OSX devs in addition to Linux devs.

OpenBSD 6.0 has been released.
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160901090415

Apparently this will be the last release with officially pressed CDs, everything going forward will be distributed over the internet

I decided to give OpenBSD 6.0 a try and I'm trying to change the keyboard layout. I read the FAQ and it tells me to use wsconsctl to change keyboard.encoding and I did that but the keys are still all messed up.

The instructions in the man page work for me.

Check what keyboard mappings are available with kbd -l
shift+page up/down to view the entire list
Set the desired mapping with wsconstl.encoding=(.option.option)

>wsconstl
oops wsconsctl*

>decide to try openbsd 6
>install goes smoothly
>decide to check out web browsing
>install chrome
>check out for a webm to play
>audio works
>video and audio are choppy as fuck

In the trash it goes.

works on my machine™
try enabling/disabling hw acceleration.