In all seriousness, what do you use your pc for that an i3 6100/i5 2500 can't handle?

In all seriousness, what do you use your pc for that an i3 6100/i5 2500 can't handle?

I get the feeling a lot of people here buy more powerful components than they need because marketing or simply because they can.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xJXGLD
m.ebay.com/itm/HP-Workstation-Z220-Core-i7-QC-3770-3-4GHz-16GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-Windows-7-Pro-/282148081988?hash=item41b1561144:g:nEMAAOSw9NdXvZCt&_trkparms=pageci%3Ae640c7b4-6ffe-11e6-b00e-74dbd180df63%7Cparentrq%3Ae410dce91560a2a405c6a349fff94a18%7Ciid%3A1
youtube.com/watch?v=s42gvVS77dU
pcpartpicker.com/list/wqzgbj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>what do you use your pc for that an i3 6100/i5 2500 can't handle?
CAD.

-Editing in 4K with Premiere Pro and After Effects
-Recording/Producing music
-Streaming gameplay

Honestly, I ran an i3 for a while but then I happened to get a free 5820K. I don't think I'd go back now.

10-bit video encoding

I get like 20FPS on my i7 6700K encoding 1080p video which is still dogshit slow especially since I encode tv shows.

compiling projects larger than your fizzmeme without wanting to wait 30 minutes between compiles.

"Amazon EC2"
"Microsoft Azure"
"Google Cloud Platform"
"VPS"

wut...

are you retarded? What a waste of money.

Oh, you're talking about botnet cloud computing that costs more in the long run than using your own computer? Yeah, fuck that shit.

I play to upgrade as soon as Zen is out. Hopefully get that 16-core Zen for under $1,000.

Why not just buy a better computer with that money instead?

Kinda a noob, never done encoding, but why can't you do it on a gpu instead? Aren't they much more powerful for these things?

>Kinda a noob, never done encoding, but why can't you do it on a gpu instead?
Because hardware video encoding results dogshit quality or insanely huge filesizes. It's pretty much the ultrafast preset on software encoding.

>Aren't they much more powerful for these things?
They are but for complex reasons you will never get good compression ratio video files from hardware video encoding.

What I do is encode video with the medium preset and a whatever CRF fits the best (file size or quality).

Fair enough.

Thanks for explaining that

Because you will get much more value out of cloud platforms simply due to the economy of scale.

>Because you will get much more value out of cloud platforms simply due to the economy of scale.
What makes them better than say hooking up a few desktops with i5s and connecting them all with a server OS?

Because Amazon has hundreds of thousands of servers, all manufactured cheaply in bulk, all under significant usage at any particular point in time.

>Because Amazon has hundreds of thousands of servers, all manufactured cheaply in bulk, all under significant usage at any particular point in time.
Still not convinced it's better than hooking up a bunch of desktops together. You can pretty much build 4 i5 desktops for about $2,000 and only pay like $10 a month for electricity if the CPU was stressed at 100% most of the time 24/7

Nothing, which is why I'm still using a Core2 Duo.

Why not just buy cheap prebuilts? Pretty sure an i7 2600 or 3770 should be a little faster than an i5 6400 or 6500 despite costing much less

How u get for free

And are you going to be encoding videos 24/7?

>Why not just buy cheap prebuilts?
Because they cost more and might have cheaper components.

>Pretty sure an i7 2600 or 3770 should be a little faster than an i5 6400 or 6500 despite costing much less
Barely.

Anyway here is the ~$500 i5 desktop build I was referring to:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xJXGLD

I won't, I was just referring to the most my electricity bill would come as if I stressed the i5 CPUs most of the time throughout the day for a month.

In reality the electricity bill would probably come to like $5 a month on average.

So you spend $2000 on a bunch of PCs that will be idle 95% of the time? You seriously think that that is a good investment?

Video games.

Nvidia has had network streaming for a while.

Terrible for multiplayer.

Price to performance ratios and buying only what you need are pussy cop outs. Everyone knows what's really important is looking cool in guts/speccy/desktop/battlestation threads.

>not playing bf4, cs:go, call of booty all in one setting, with fizzbuzz compiling, with Adobe premiere 4k 60fps rendering, CAD prototyping.

Gtfo pleb. I got core i69 696969X edition.

m.ebay.com/itm/HP-Workstation-Z220-Core-i7-QC-3770-3-4GHz-16GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-Windows-7-Pro-/282148081988?hash=item41b1561144:g:nEMAAOSw9NdXvZCt&_trkparms=pageci%3Ae640c7b4-6ffe-11e6-b00e-74dbd180df63%7Cparentrq%3Ae410dce91560a2a405c6a349fff94a18%7Ciid%3A1

The prebuilt will destroy your pc for much less, only issue is 250gb hdd, lol

Nice. Haswell-E here as well. Running a 5930k which I use for CFD as well SolidWorks and playing my vidya

Keep the goalposts where they are, please.

Not so much the processor specifically, but I want to be able to do very intensive things on the occasions that I want to, even when I dont need it most of the time.
I dont even mean I get some feeling from knowing I can, I just prefer not to have to get bent when I sometimes want to.

>60FPS rendering off adobe bullshit
>CAD
>60FPS

10000000 chrome (iron) tabs, most of which are running some sort of spammy javascript/flash bullshit that makes an i3 hot and causes the fans to spin up and make noise

My father buys "gayming rigs" for his company where they only use MS-Office, Outlook and a few "special" programs. Also he wants his PCs silent, like no noise at all.

I told him he doesn't need a dedicated GPU and an i7 cause all he needs is like a 300€ PC but "I need the fastest and best machines cause I don't like to wait..."

Did I mention that it was a long process getting him to use Windows 7 instead of XP?

multiple virtual machines running at the same time. 4 cores with hyperthreading and 16Gb of ram is kinda weak for some of my needs.

They all play stupid moviegame crap. That's why people get expensive as fuck PCs.

If a game can't play on a recent or semi-recent $300 PC full tilt (max res, minimum 60fps) it's not worth playing.

i5's are now officially crap for gaming

youtube.com/watch?v=s42gvVS77dU

You don't even need that much.

pcpartpicker.com/list/wqzgbj

Even that a8 might be overkill, my mom uses an a4 7300 for web browsing and office and shit and it works fine