iPhones and iPads from 2012 are running the latest OS along with security fixes

> iPhones and iPads from 2012 are running the latest OS along with security fixes
> flagship Android phones from two years ago won't be receiving Nougat

When did Android become the textbook definition of planned obsolescence?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/why-isnt-your-old-phone-getting-nougat-theres-blame-enough-to-go-around/
youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg
9to5mac.com/2011/10/21/jobs-original-vision-for-the-iphone-no-third-party-native-apps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But, don't they run like shit though? (the iOS devices)

Apple just kind of plans obsolescence by adding bloat until the user can't take it anymore.

when it was cheap, i.e. forever

you get what you pay for

>not building your own rom

Android OS upgrades make phones faster.

iOS upgrades make phones slower.

/thread

my iPad 2 still runs fine and it's on the latest ios.

I'm actually surprised this thing isn't dead yet. even the battery still last a long time on this thing.

1 GHz Cortex-A9 w/ 512MB RAM.

1024x768 resolution.

Well, it's got decent specs and not that many pixels to push, so I'm not really surprised.

Not him, but his point is, it still works well with the latest sw update. Take the Moto G 1st gen, it's stuck on Android 5.0.

news flash: the updates dont do anything of importance

I'd be more worried about Apple cucking your phone over time to get you to buy the new one

Ah, there was actually an article on ars that discussed this topic. [1]

The tl;dr is that the manufacturers and SoC vendor, and carrier have to agree to put in the work to provide updates. For Apple's case, they control the entire stack (bar the vendor, but who doesn't want iPhone on their carrier), so it's ultimately up to them to decide to provide the support and do the work.

--
[1] - arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/why-isnt-your-old-phone-getting-nougat-theres-blame-enough-to-go-around/

> iPhones and iPads from 2012 are running

nice joke

>the updates dont do anything of importance

It patches security holes, which is the reason why half the people here run Linux.

I'm anti Apple, but this guy makes a point.
Developers have totally ruined Android.
Concept of Linux is minimalism, and they turned it into a bloated piece of shit.
They don't optimize software, they just cram more hardware in it. If your device doesn't have newest hardware you're fucked.
The magic of Linux is running it on ancient machines, I don't like where Android's headed.

It's a shame we keep rehashing this subject but I guess in a way there is a point to it.

Apple gains nothing by supporting 4 or 5 year old devices with the latest firmware/os upgrade, nothing is gained but good publicity, which they don't even need.

Google loses consumer sympathy by allowing the sale of phones on the market today with ICS, KitKat or Lollipop. Phones with those versions shouldn't even be on the market considering they're obsolete before they're even sold.

Problem is, Google doesn't give a shit, because none of their money comes from device sales but from sales of software and content from the Play Store.

So this is in fact of problem of most, if not all, Android devices, they are truly obsolete every year, which begs the question why spend the amount of money one would on a "premium" phone if it will be obsolete within a year.

The problem is that android was not designed with today's complex apps in mind, it was only supposed to be a simple smartphone OS. And with smartphone, I mean things like pic related.
Also watch this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg

You don't buy an Android phone for the best in class hardware or for the brilliantly engineered software. If you want those things, you go with an Apple product and you likely enjoy it very much.

If you're an Android fan, you're likely in this camp for one of three reasons:
1. You hate Apple
2. You're into free software and the Linux scene in general
3. You love Google's intelligent services and appreciate what they're doing for convenience and automation.

I fall into the third camp, like many others. Google's cloud services are about unbeatable and they know it. They don't need the latest version of their software running on every device. And while it would be awesome for them to spend some time fixing that issue, I can't blame them for pushing their huge advantage over Apple in the cloud and intelligence markets instead.

You'd have to define obsolete. Obviously new hardware will come out yearly. That by itself makes phones obsolete.

Were you talking about software?

But yeah not every device gets the latest because of how the ecosystem works. Android is platform too and they've managed to be on so many different devices than just 3 or 4. To reach that scale, you need to offload responsibility.

Is anyone truly a android fan? the only people I can think of who "love" android would be developers, developers, developers. Most people buy android phones for the very simple reason that they're cheap and they do the job. Most of everything you would need is available for both IOS and Android, and most everything other than games, will work on most devices.

Except that ever since Lollipop came along, Android is very much noticeably slower than KitKat devices, and has remained slower since, plus the material design makes the UI take much more space than it would otherwise be necessary.

Well, I would say that I'm more of a Google fan than an Android fan, true. I'm typing this from a Chromebook Pixel LS, and I'll say that if Android functioned more like Chrome OS does, at least in most ways, there would be many fewer issues to discuss.

Yeah, I'm an android fan for pretty much all of those reasons.

I've just never liked Apple and never understood the hype. I've been a Linux fan since I was in high school and love Google's services.

>Were you talking about software?
Yeah mostly so, and this really brings back that point thats been hammered for so long about fragmentation. I think by now that most people understand that if they want their devices to remain updated they should buy a Nexus phone. Except normies don't have that knowledge because Samsung took up the role of being the front man for Android, so most people who have bought an Android device have never even experienced stock Android, that should have never been allowed by google, and the fact that it didn't kill the platform says a lot about how big the market was to explore at the time and the play store has always been the unifying factor with Android devices.

I get the impression that tablet manufacturers have just gave up on making a good Android tablet, they either can't compete with Amazon or Apple or something else is going on there, never used a stock android tablet, so i cant speak to that.

Yeah, you say that but iOS didn't even have any way to extend it beyond the default applications

>Chromebook Pixel LS

Nice, can we get a screenshot and picture of your laptop?

What are you running in it?

All hail Sailfish OS

There was a reason for that
9to5mac.com/2011/10/21/jobs-original-vision-for-the-iphone-no-third-party-native-apps/

I'm actually running it totally stock with stable Chrome OS. This is a photo from when I first got it around October of last year. I'm still using just about the same setup now.

I mainly work with web tools, and even coming from a MacBook Air, the "limitations" of the machine never impacted me at all. It's the best device I've ever owned.

Is there even any reason to upgrade?
I'm using a 3 year old galaxy s4 with kitkat and it works pretty well
Only problem is the battery's kinda dying as it barely lasts 3 hours when gaming
Apart from that it's pretty great

If you're happy with your device that's all that it matters.

However, you answered your own question, batteries that aren't manufactured anymore at the point when you'd need to replace it, which make replaceable batteries useless. And I guess people like upgrading.

Do Android apps work regardless of what version of android you're running? I forget how that works.

In a very real way, he was right, it has to be impossible to police the Apple App Store or the Play store, not to mention dealing with costumers and policing that, there's more to it than just making a platform and let the apps pour in, its 24/7 management.

Still, iOS wasn't designed "with today's complex apps in mind, it was only supposed to be a simple smartphone OS", and it's even worse because Jobs was actively against apps, as you say

The base for more complex applications was always there, e.g. using objective-c instead of java

But most android phones allow you to build the latest version of the OS for yourself with whatever tweaks you may feel like. That way to don't have to be a cuck to some mega-corporation until they decide your shit isn't worth their time any more.

I can buy a replacement battery at the local supermarket for 20/30€, I saw them last time I went there
I dunno if I should bother but it's not much
And some apps require 5.0 and up but most work
Especially because of what the OP said, so since there are a ton of smartphones that can't upgrade, apps need to be compatible with older versions of android
And the most intensive stuff I use on it is gaming, and it can run ppsspp so I'm good with it for now
I could upgrade but I don't see why
This was my first smartphone and not only do I still kind of have an attachment to it but I really don't see enough of a reason to get a new one
Is there even a reason?
I dunno if it's just me but tech has been really kind of stagnating in the last few years

>flagship Android phones from two years ago won't be receiving Nougat

They'll likely be receiving Cyanogenmod 14, which is Nougat.

Well I guess I have to ask what are you calling a complex app.

At the time that it was launched iphone couldn't even do MMS, a feature that had been available at the time for almost a decade, couldn't do it.

The most complex app I use is probably Angry Birds with Friends, complex as in, resource intensive. Most used app is a podcast client. Other than that I don't use apps, and mostly they all seem to just be fronts for webpages anyway.

I don't know, ask what he defines as a complex app

>Windows desktops and laptops from 2006 are running the latest Windows and Linux OS along with security fixes
When did people forget that smartbabbie phones are always planned obsolescence devices?

>I can buy a replacement battery at the local supermarket for 20/30€, I saw them last time I went there
>I dunno if I should bother but it's not much

Oh I know you CAN buy them, but are they new or were they manufactured at the same time your phone was?

Lithium batteries have shelf life, they lose their capacity as time goes on, and after two years they're pretty much paper weights. So even if you can buy said battery, if it was made three years ago or even a year ago, you won't get as much use out of it as you would with a "new" battery.

>I dunno if it's just me but tech has been really kind of stagnating in the last few years

It's not just you, it has and at the same time it seems that the web bloat is making it impossible to browse pages on a older phone such as yours, I guess thats about the other reason why one would update.

I thought batteries lost capacity with recharges not by lack of use
And my phone can handle the internet pretty well
And is there a reason why tech has been stagnating this much?
I remember the upgrades from the galaxy S1 to the S4 were huge, but soon afterwards it all kind of stopped
What happened?

>he thinks updates are necessary
Shit the first thing I do on a phone is disable updates.

>Running the latest OS
>along with crippling lag
>still can't run third party/your own code because then apple can't profit from dev license sales and app store distribution
>laptops from the early 2000s can run windows 10 or the latest loonix kernel

Lol smartphones

>What happened?
Market saturation.

>I thought batteries lost capacity with recharges not by lack of use
I don't know enough about it but what I do know is lithium batteries after two years of manufacture are, supposedly, worthless.

Chip makers started caring about cheating benchmarks instead of making actual performance increases in general purpose computing speed.
Analysis of the latest Exynos on the Galaxy and Note 7 shown 10% of the die space was used for SHA1 fixed function unit to cheat Geekbench 3 scores, almost as big as the Quad Core CPU itself.

My ipad mini runs like a fucking botched north korean android tablet after installing ios 9. why did stevie have to die.

4. you're an indie app/game developer and don't want apple to jew you out of 100€ per year

That's factually false.

>hurr durr, my ideologically driven opionion is totally valid
My parents still use their 3rd gen iPad every day and it runs like a charm.

>Analysis of the latest Exynos on the Galaxy and Note 7 shown 10% of the die space was used for SHA1 fixed function unit to cheat Geekbench 3 scores, almost as big as the Quad Core CPU itself.

got a citation?

Are recent versions of Android even worth it?

Isn't making lots of improvements and serious upgrades the best way to fight market saturation?
If it's saturated give them a reason to actually upgrade
I always prefer the snapdragon versions, they have a better graphics chip

>or be forced to use a mac

How common is someone getting fucked by security flaws?

You would think that, but they are not selling the number of smartphones they once were.

Ironically Apple took a sign/risk of making the 4" flagship and word is they sell a lot of those. And on android there isn't the "choice" you used to have and the prices are creeping past what it costs to just buy an iPhone outright at $400 and unless you're a fanboy of either a platform, when you cross the $300 it starts making less and less sense to buy android unless you have to have a 5" screen.

I don't understand why the prices are rising
Tech is slowing down, they should drop
Actually I've seen this happen all around for a lot of things, phones, computer components, tvs, even if tech isn't improving that much prices are rising for most things and it makes no sense
Up until around 2011/2012 tech kept improving at a crazy pace and then it all started slowing down with prices rising, almost as a way to scare off consumers

I guess the volume of sales isn't there and they have to increase the price to make up for loss of volume. Just like with anything else if you can sell a thousand bottles of water you may price them at .77 cents if you can't sell a thousand anymore and can only sell half, you're going to raise the price to make up for the loss of income.

Also we had the 2007 financial crash that lead to other problems like the European debt crisis and the loss of demand from the west lead to the commodity demand suddenly drop from a cliff which made prices of raw materials drop which also has a part in why oil is low it's all connected.

>apple
>best in class hardware

But that's because it's not worth it to buy new stuff
Everyone bought a smartphone because it was a new thing and it changed people's lives in a way
You want people to buy your new smartphones? Make it worth it, give me the same pace of improvements of before
In 2013 a galaxy s1 was way beyond obsolete and completely outclassed even in basic usage, in 2016 a galaxy s4, while outmatched by a new flagship, still works really well and gives me no reason to upgrade
Just compare the difference between the s1, s4, and s7
Why would people buy a new smartphone if the new ones cost a lot more and don't even improve that much?
Then don't raise prices, make your products more appealing and bring something new to the table

Actually Android was designed as an OS for photocameras.

That's the thing though with phones, most people just get another one for a massively discounted price (not noticing there's still a giant monthly fee) from their carriers when their contract is done. The phone industry gets a steady income from these people, so why try hard when they're going to get a new phone in 2 years anyway?

I don't know people who do that
It's a ripoff because your stuck with a 2 year contract
Most people I know buy smartphones online to get big discounts because they cut out intermediaries

Depends on what rom you install.
If you replace stock rom with something like cyanogenmod (=no bloat apps and googlel shit).
Also, newer versions of android are more stable than older ones on some devices.

>S4 mini running CM13
>inb4 hurr durr not official
>iCucks

>But, don't they run like shit though? (the iOS devices)
They run worse, absolutely, but it's generally way overstated. My iPhone 5 with the latest version of iOS runs just fine. It's true though that fresh major releases usually have awful performance at first, but with the *.1 release that is usually resolved.

So do Android devices if you don't install custom roms. My moto X from past year runs sluggish as fuck

There are a lot of google shills here so don't expect too many relevant responses OP.

>hear I won't be receiving Nougat
>Didn't want it in the first place
>Didn't even want Marshmallow

Thank God.

>Been rocking a iphone 4s on virgin mobile (usa).
>Don't wanna spend 300+ dollies
>Check out andriod phones
Whelp, looks like I loose either way.

At least I can unlock my bootloader and get Nougat unofficially. I have no problem with what Google has done here. This means that tech illiterate niggers don't get shit because they're not smart enough to understand the things they use.

>loose

my iphone 5 runs smooth as butter on 9.3.3.
broke its screen a couple of days ago though. im thinking of getting s7 edge.

4. You're poor