How good is a SSD compared to something like a WD Blue drive?

How good is a SSD compared to something like a WD Blue drive?

Really taught about getting an SSD a few days ago but I passed, very interested.

About 3.50, repeating of course.

5 times faster at least, will live much longer than any HDD.

significant quality of life improvement.
I honestly cannot believe that in 2016 there are people who didn't move to ssd yet.

1.7% nvidia is finished pork shoulders wood screws

Less space for le speed meme

Are there still people who haven't used ssd's?
Haven't you bought a new computer since 2010 when they became the norm?

did that sound funny in your head? i bet it did

SSD are still expensive to store all my chinese cartoon collection

Is it easy to tell?

SSDs are a meme, don't get them, stay with the tried and true hard drives

bait

Lol

SSD for OS drive is really good. Thats the real benefit. When loading/starting up.

You can also use SSD for dedicated gaming files for those games that require fast loading access.

HDD is still superior for storage due to size/cost.

SSD is the hardware upgrade with best price/performance ratio.

it is like comparing your big family car which maximum speed is at 90 km/h and a sport car which maximum is 400 km/h on a roads where you can't go over 50 without getting speed ticket.

You will be able to tell the difference, but the improvement isn't worth it unless you do Sims3, compiling over 1GB of files in VS, editing videos or working with HUGE files which can't fit into your RAM.

>5 times faster at least, will live much longer than any HDD
In what? Sequential read/write a modern hard disk drive throughput will be near 200MB/s.

I was thinking of using it just as an OS drive, and important things like Chrome, and etc.
I basically never turn off so that is not an issue.

I was expecting better performance like for normal usage, but if there isn't then I am not gonna get one.

My SSD is 2500 MB/s read and 1500 MB/s write though

Access times.
Oh, don't you know that it takes time for a request for data and the MECHANICAL head to move to the right spot?
Access times are actually more like 20 times faster.

wow thanks for telling me man or i would not have known!

>SSD is the hardware upgrade with the worst price/performance ratio.
Fixed

1/100th the storage
For the benefit that Chrome loads a second faster and you don't agonize when you accidentally hit "Edit in GIMP"

It wasn't meant to be a joke.
It was very quickly adopted amongst normal people as they didn't have large digital movie collections and those who did had external storage.
My x220 came with an SSD and that is a 4 year old laptop.

Yea that is M.2 or PCIE

Still at least twice as slow. There will probably be next gen SATA port soon which allows much faster speeds, HDD's will fail to get even 30% of the maximum and SSD's are relatively recent inventions.

Yes

as in both

Point is, mechanical drives are shit. I only have a single one left in use at my house.

true but why do you even need to store that shit when you could just stream it for free on kissanime or something

>In what? Sequential read/write a modern hard disk drive throughput will be near 200MB/s.
Not even close 200, more like 130 and as moving parts wear off they are getting slower and slower.

(you) (you) (you) (you) (you)

WD Blue drive is ass. Compared to most other HDDs, WD Blues suck balls.

Compared to an SSD, it's like a golf cart missing one wheel compared to a Porsche.

I need HDDs for mass storage.

So I should get a SSD then?

>I need HDDs for mass storage.
Why not get several SDDs?

Yes, 256GB should be more than enough, even 128GB is enough unless you want faster loading in gayms.

Price mane, not gonna spend 1000 on a 4TB SSD or more.

Was thinking MX300, that one seems excellent for the price.

The age-old too poor response, it's really the only reason to not get SSDs

It's not being poor faggot. If you need a lot of storage SSDs are not good.

>not gonna spend 1000 on a 4TB SSD or more.

>all people who don't want to waste money like retards are poor

Why is it always the namefags who are huge morons?

If you have 4 TB of data and aren't poor, then a thousand bucks isn't much.

If you have 4 TB of data and are worrying over a measly thousand dollars then you're probably just hoarding anime and are poor.

>tfw mine is faster

Haha

Only makes the case for mechanical even more pathetic

In 2 hours I'll be in some shitty retail store like Best Buy and buying the Samsung 850 evo to store my games, because my OS SSD is filling up too fast with games, and I love my load times.
Tell me why I shouldn't do this.

Neck yourself

This. They should go to Reddit if they wanna be huge faggots.

Install gentoo.
The base system will be less than a tenth of the storage and there is not so many different games which work, so you can stick to a single drive

It was more of a statement, but you're welcome

>Implying Gentoo can run these shitty 2016 AAA games with piss poor optimization
I have a 1TB HDD but that shit is slow. I just feel like this is a better option + the benefit of a separate drive for Sup Forums

The upgrade from having your OS installed on a SSD from a HDD is very noticeable. Everything feels snappier in general. $60 for a 128GB SSD is not much.

How about $60 for a 275GB MX300? Thinking about it.

Seems like a great deal

>Haven't you bought a new computer since 2010
no

is the EVO 750 really that worse than the 850? the price is attractive

>Oh, don't you know that it takes time for a request for data and the MECHANICAL head to move to the right spot?
No shit, who doesn't know that? That's why I asked you to specify. SSDs on SATA 3 are not 5 times faster in sequential operations, maybe 2.5 times.
Stop buying shit hard drives.

It's this one