Phones used to actually look different

Phones used to actually look different

They weren't all just squares with rounded corners and a screen

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F8dm7YdAvHA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hear ya

Luckily they're still not 100% generic glass slates, the ones that actually look different are increasingly less common though

>not rectangle with rounded corners and a screen
>instead, rectangle with corners and a rounded screen

generally any qwerty has its own design

oh wait
there are no qwerties anymore

All a bunch of gimmicks.

If you want to feel like a special snowflake, order a flip phone from aliexpress.

The main thing in a phone is the screen, hence the screen and navigation buttons are the only things that are needed. Everything else is unnecessary and physical bloat.

>there are no qwerties anymore
Sure there are

Blame the ebin smartphone culture among common consumers.

It's as if they were designing the interface as required, both physical and the software. How strange.

Is this shit still ridiculously expensive?

If you count ~$350 as ridiculously expensive then yes

are there any Sup Forums-approved """dumb""" phones?

I just want a device to make calls, produce texts and let me listen to podcasts that I manually input as .mp3 files

>Symbian

I'd rather get raped by a pack of nigs than use that OS for 1 second more

Nokia 515

yes

i live in eu and i can't find used one below $550
this is bullshit

i loved this one.

I don't disagree with you but man do I miss the variation and experimentation from Nokia.

On launch it was more expensive than Nexus 6P and Note 5.

Nokia 3650, the first phone I bought myself in high school. Awkward as fuck but was a much better option than using a hand-me-down brick that my dad gave me.

I miss my milestone

Irrelevant. He asked if they were still ridiculously expensive, not if they ever were.

fuck yeah I had one of those

every nerd wanted to have n-gage when n-gage was still a thing
i wasn't using this god forsaken board back then, but i bet it was """Sup Forums-approved""" at its times

qwerty was absolutely terrible here. i still loved it though, dat build quality, design

I remember when a friend got one and I was blown away by how fucking huge the screen was
>3.7"

Nah, literally every person hated this.

I remember it was a running joke on X-Play before it even came out.

i friend of mine had one. The back is not as good as it looks. The black model is a plastic piece of shit prone to a fuckton of scratches

Here it costs ~500$ used, ~750$ new

Huh I thought they all had aluminium bodies

I'm surprised that symbian made it as far as it did.

release: the 1st of never

Got some sauce on that? I won't be getting it anyway, but it is definitely at the top of the list if I ever give in and get an Android BlackBerry

well, nokia was synonym of mobile phone back then. winmo devices were made by random non-mainstream manufacturers, palm was palm, nokia was the only company that actually tried to aim for mainstream consumers.

>if microsoft wouldn't buy out nokia, we would probably still have new symbian devices
>or maybe even ones with those nokia linuxes
>like sailfish but more

The keyboard on the my touch 3G slide felt amazing. Best one I ever had.

things constantly evolve to find their most effective and durable state. we don't have many different phones right now because smartphones with big screens are good enough for now as we don't have as many different monkeys, apes and humans as we did once. stop complaining about shit and try to fit in to survive.

>generic glass slate with a touchscreen as its only method of input
>higher evolved form of keyboard phones
We've gone backwards.

Yeah, i meant the front is gorilla glass with plastic buttons and back is a shitty aluminum prone to scratches.
I mean, i know its a budget feature phone but...jesus fuck

stop with your darwinist bullshit, QWERTY phones were amazing, full touch only suceeded because "OMG TECHNOLOGY" and nobody dares defy the giant black brick standard nowadays.

i played a lot of sonic on that shit

there is no backwards evolution. if something does not work, you get rid of it or replace it with something else. phones with keyboards are not extinct yet, but they are in the process of being extinct since touch screen keyboards are effective enough. girls text faster with touch screen keyboard than anyone could type with a phone's keyboard nowadays.
>darwinist bullshit
may tengri be with you.

>there is no backwards evolution
The fact that virtually every smartphone is a generic glass slate proves you wrong.

meanwhile in reality
>whatever apple shills becomes reality
>whatever apple engineers decide becomes popular
it's not evolution, it's stupidity

girls type faster on swype after many, many qwertyless years of trying to make touchscreen typing anyhow acceptable. and it's still not even remotely as comfortable as writing on physical one, and it will never be. I used to write e-mails from my Q10, now i switched to android glass slab and best i can type is bunch of short facebook messages, i'm getting irritated after that. It's shit.

>whatever apple engineers decide becomes popular
no, it's because they fulfill what is actually needed. most people don't care about theming your ui, launching an app 0.500 ms faster, getting better results on benchmark results. iphones let users make calls, text, take pictures and put them on facebook, instagram and videos on youtube. that's what the majority expects, not booting a linux os with dual boot or writing a script that will let you torrent to your desktop pc or stream it to your phone when you want. what iphone is right now is smart enough to be "fit" and what is fit will survive, not your cheap nameless chink phone.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus with Retina Display

blame the fact that smart phones are actually the all in one amazingly useful pocket computers?

They were much more useful when they had QWERTY keyboards and trackballs/trackpads/dpads

NO NO NO

Please don't tell me they will give it a stupid ~curve~ design?

Why can't we have nice things?

>add trackball/point
Blackberry has that kind of feature

@1:57
youtube.com/watch?v=F8dm7YdAvHA

>muh bloat
Minimalism is soulless cancer. I can't wait for it to die.

>all in one amazingly useful pocket computers?
>unitasking pieces of shit with ad-laden webapps that you can't even enter data on without predictive algorithms holding your hand and fucking up everything you type
pocket computer by technicality only

>They weren't all just squares with rounded corners and a screen
>thats every single phone in the picture

>The phone that should have ended all other phones
tears.PNG

This would be the perfect phone. The superior keyboard and toolbelt from the Classic. I would also make the screen normal instead of curved. And it would have the BB10 still being supported.

BlackBerry should port QNX's hypervisor to BB10OS and just run Android within BB10OS instead of just having a compat layer. That and native Android models for the plebeians.

;-;

I dunno, the rounded corner touchscreen slate is a ubiquitous design that's just simple and timeless. I'm OK with it.

>The main thing in a phone is the screen
No the main thing in a phone are the buttons, because you use them to dial.

>since touch screen keyboards are effective enough
Because people don't get a choice anymore so they have to adapt.
>girls text faster with touch screen keyboard than anyone could type with a phone's keyboard nowadays.
Wrong

Only reason companies don't make keyboards is because there would be an estimated net loss considering that their generic slabs still sell and a qwerty would mean extra expenditures during the production. What they don't consider is that there's a gaping hole in the market for tons of people demanding a qwerty and only coping with touch out of necessity.

If you need to type a lot you don't use a fucking phone anyway.

The marginal advantage of a physical keyboard doesn't justify the downsides.

>nobody uses a phone for texting

Hello Sup Forums I am Chinese man

Here we have these unique phone cost my month salary. Very expensive and premium last of "flip" kind. Only available in my country. I have one best phone I used. Maybe you try to import one too, yes?

The fuck is this

I used to have one of these. Typed out entire papers with it and SSH'ing from that was heavenly. Currently stuck on a Nexus 5X it's shit for anything other than a short text message.

>effective enough
Effective enough for phone manufacturers for whom making a generic glass slab means low development and production costs. The evaluation criterion isn't user's comfort, but manufacturers' net income.

>not booting a linux os with dual boot or writing a script that will let you torrent to your desktop pc or stream it to your phone when you want
kekd

The first three look the same to me. As well as the last two.