/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
[booru].net
[booru].net/post/
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2010223
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Looking for a distro that is light, dont need much complicated things to do on a daily basis. I used mate. I kinda like idea of arch being up to date all the time but i have no clue what graphical environment i should get that would be suitable.

Still looking for help.... I updated my Linux. Now, whenever I run anything, I get segfaults.

Sep 1 13:12:38 forethought kernel: [ 510.922907] chromium-browse[5815]: segfault at 7ffdc394aff8 ip 00007ff95e6a3406 sp 00007ffdc394b000 error 6 in libbase.so[7ff95e559000+196000]
Sep 1 13:13:15 forethought kernel: [ 548.379742] chromium-browse[6020]: segfault at 7ffc5e9a7ff8 ip 00007f26b23ad402 sp 00007ffc5e9a8000 error 6 in libbase.so[7f26b2263000+196000]

WTF do I do now? :(

Up to date is a very subjective term.
Debian unstable is nice.
DEs and WMs are also very subjective, I would suggest you to try a few before deciding.

Is it possible to make a setup like pic related?

I think i should make a lvm and then encrypt it but according to the arch wiki with the "LVM on LUKS method" i can't use multiple disks and with the "LUKS on LVM" method i need a single password for every volume.

install gentoo

I would just like to interject for one moment. The operating system you are suggesting for me to install, and rather commandingly might I add, will in fact, not directly solve my current problem at hand, and will actually cause me to ask further questions about the difficult process involved in installing it. Gentoo is a very nice operating system itself, but I'd rather you directly assist me in my quest to solve my current predicament.

I understand that many computer users run the Gentoo Linux operating system, and I realize they may enjoy it greatly and are not currently experiencing the current problem that I have whilst using my non-Gentoo operating system. Through a peculiar turn of events, I have noticed an enormous amount of users make the "Install Gentoo" suggestion, but many of its users are not aware that this suggestion, in most cases, is actually not an "easy-fix" to every single computer-related error.

There really are reasons for installing Gentoo, and there are people using it, but it is just for the few users who choose to compile their own source code locally according to their chosen configuration. Gentoo is just another operating system: the problems I am experiencing will not undeviatingly be solved if I make the choice to install it. All these so-called "Install Gentoo" suggestions I am noticing should cease immediately.

I like minimalistic aspect od WM but i think DE would be needed to make my work more convinient. I would stay with mint mate but its far from being up to date and everyone glorify arch.

Who the hell glorifies arch?
My usage is most convenient with dwm, but it really depends on your workflow and preferences.

Mint has serious problems.
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

And Arch being lightweight is a meme, it's repo is actually more bloated with source headers and the kernel comes with all modules enabled. I'd suggest a Debian netinstall and upgrade to Sid.

when will there be an openbox equivalent for wayland?

People confuse "simple" with "lightweight", that's all.

Arch is nice, fuck off.

Didn't say it's bad, I just said it isn't lightweight.

>isn't lightweight
I forget that 99% of Sup Forums uses their mommy's hand-me-down 2001 Dell computers until I see shit like this.

Will i be able to use eclipse ide for instance with dwm actually?

Boot in to a new different kernel. You were already told this.
List what you updated.

I've been trying to do a basic wget command to download all images from a booru, with a recursive level of 3. (/posts, /post, /imagedata). Nothing I've tried seems to work. Seriously. Can someone help?

I just want it to be a simple command -- if it can't be a simple command, just tell me that, please.

This has nothing to do with that. People on Sup Forums constantly pretend arch is lightweight when it really isn't. People spouting misinformation are the worst.

DE/WM doesn't care about programs you run. You can basically run a program without and window manager, just by using an X display.

Of course. If you need floating just make that program float by default in config.h or switch to floating mode before opening it.

Do you know why Arch users always have a low package count? It's because development headers, source code and everything is included in one big package.

What command exactly did you try?
You want to learn right? There is no point in just giving you a ready command if you want to learn so please provide more info.

And libraries are Included in packages instead of being packages themselves.

on debian we have -dev packages for that, got a lot of these, current pkg count is about 2k

I've looked at arguments. I've tried over 20 iterations of arguments.

-D[boorudomain] as one, -e robots=off or whatever, -r -l 3 (which is the depth i think i need? though it tries to connect to tumblr sources; i cant figure out how to filter to only a specific subdomain [such as /data/])
i have to use --no-check-certificate, for some reason, but yeah

I mean...
I think -k converts filetypes?
I accidentally left a script going but there's no .png, .jpg, etc. All blank filenames, with this script:

-r -l 3 --no-check-certificate [booru].net

also
wget -H -D[booru].net -e robots=off -r -I /data/ -l 2 -A jpeg,j
pg,bmp,gif,png --no-check-certificate [booru].net/post/

Note: [booru] is replaced with my booru of choice which i will not reveal, but it's probably fairly obvious why

>source code
No, for fuck's sake.

>development headers
What a concept, including the dev headers for a fucking library like the fucking source package installs instead of splitting that shit off and inflating the package count.

Wrong.

Seriously, the hell are you people smoking? Learn2GNU, Debian isn't the fucking be-all, end-all of GNU. apt is a buggy, slow mess and it always has to fuck with upstream just to get it all working.

Never had a bug in aptitude using sid.
I would rather inflate package count than package content.
Of course debian is not perfect, but is sure is not any less perfect than arch.

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

nothing but trouble and massive waste of precious time

>apt is a buggy, slow mess
Memers not welcome. Friendly thread.

March 2019.

How do I get invited into the IRC?

>tfw gtx 950
>tfw debian testing won't load drivers
Why the fuck is this a problem with a year old graphics card?

ignore the irc, that's not us, it's just a link to stupid question thread, op should it remove already

>using Debian with anything but ancient hardware
For what purpose?

>linux commands
>actually gnu programs
wew

install gentoo

>he fell for the Debian meme

I'd like to compile my first program and the chosen one is mpv. Any hints what I need to do?

I already installed git and learned the commands.

fuck off neo Sup Forums

I'm running Jessie Stable with the same card. Must be a Stretch problem.

Welcome to my world.

t. AMD user

>testing
Found your problem.

Ubuntu is a better choice for modern hardware.

>tfw sid is more stable than stretch
lol@you

Posting from ICE weasel on my live version of Debian LXDE.
I've got shit resoultion and have tried to fix this shit racking my brain.
I'm very new to linux but after hours of searching I came to the one place I knew could help me.

Here's my problem
user@debian:~$ xrandr -q
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 61.00*
800x600 61.00
640x480 60.00
user@debian:~$ xrandr --addmode HDMI1 1024x768_61.00
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
xrandr: cannot find output "HDMI1"

Is it just because I'm on a live version?

Hey guys, I'm looking for something like Subgraph OS, but for a 32-bit machine. Any recommendations? Alternatively, settings/packages for a Ubuntu machine to make it better for privacy and anonymity would also work.

Thanks for tolerating my rank novice-ness

>Any hints what I need to do?
Read the README.md
It's all there

>debian
lol at newfags still falling for it

Hello. I got Gentoo running on an old machine, and wanted to install LXDE, I merged the lxde-meta package and put 'exec lxde' into ~/.xinitrc but whenever I use startx it says it can't find LXDE. Did I do something wrong? Xorg works fine without the 'exec lxde' in the file

>newfags getting owned by the Debian meme all day
Gets me every time!

So should I just install gentoo? :^)

Yes.

>gentoo user
>can't even start a desktop environment
shameful

did you read the wiki and/or install from experimental?

RTFM
Debian is not special-ed Linux. Try Ubuntu.

Cunts.

Yes.

Hahahahaha get fuckd freetard.

>Boot in to a new different kernel. You were already told this.
That didn't do shit! Every kernel I booted to from Grub was giving me same errors.

You know what it was? It was a fucking icon theme that I installed.

A FUCKING ICON THEME WAS CAUSING SEGFAULTS OF THE WHOLE OS!

After I removed cursors and fucked around with

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

I was able to restart and start launching gnome apps.

Linux is a fucking joke. It's EXTREMELY BRITTLE. A fucking icon set can cause the whole WM to segfault! Fucking insane.

Anyway, I need to find a better distro or maybe change up and install FreeBSD or something else that doesn't crash over a fucking cursor.

I've had so many issues with Linux, it's not even funny. Susyemd can't even launch reliably a service after every boot! I installed dnscrypt and Systemd manages to launch it maybe once out of every 5 times I boot. I have to manually start it other times. And there's no errors with it whatsoever either. Systemd is just retarded like that.

Ugh.

What a fucking mess and what a time sink :(

assuming you have an xorg config in place, did you try unloading any open source modules or checking if they're running (iirc, it'd called nouveau?)?

i know the questions i'm asking are obvious ones, i'm just making sure

>hating on freedom
What is wrong with you

When did the average age of people in this thread fall below 12 years? Can you fuckhead stop with your distro memes? You just look childisch..

>update-alternatives
>using debian or a debian-based distro
found your problem

blame the arch babies

That's what I mean. How is crap like this useful? Fuck off to 9gag faggot.

it's the same faggot spamming the thread over and over again
you're better off just ignoring or reporting at this point

/fglt/ cycle:
>broken debian post
>people starts shitting on debian
>debian fags shilling and damage control
>newfags fall for the debian meme
>repeat

>found your problem
You guys always shift the blame around. If you're using Ubuntu/Debiant, it's their fault and you should have installed Arch. If you're using Arch, it's Arch's fault you should have installed Gentoo. If there's a problem with Gentoo, you should have installed Slack. If ther'es a problem with Slack, you should have installed Fedora and if there's a problem with Fedora, you should have installed Ubuntu. And the circle continues.

Problem is a lot deeper than that. X11 is just so fucking brittle.

No matter what distro you use, you'll have tons of weird issues that you'll have to waste hours on.

I need a POSIX system so I'm stuck with this shit. Wish I had cash for a Mac. I'm now thinking about Win10 and Ubuntu sublayer but that's a giant piece of shit and not even networking works.

So I guess I'm stuck with this shit for now and won't touch any of the settings or themes because I might lose everything.

arch-schoolboys

I need a recommendation on what distro I should use. I browse the internet a lot, play some light games such as Minecraft, and looking to start getting into Java programming. It should also be easy to dual boot with.

Which distro should I use? I'm currently on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016. I have a bit of experience with GNU/Linux, but haven't ever fully went balls deep to use it. Thanks.

There could be a lot of things, for example wrong permissions on icon files, so Chrome couldn't read'em. To blame whole community of developers from kernel to icon themes because you can't tune it doesn't look smart either, lad.

Mint or Manjaro.

Every distribution will work equally for you.
None of your requirements are related to a distribution's specific attributes.

That applies to 97% of all the posts like yours.

Shite or urine.

>There could be a lot of things, for example wrong permissions on icon files, so Chrome couldn't read'em.
Permissions were correct, 755. And issue was not only Chromium but every Gnome application that I tried.

Aside from systemd not starting services, I've also had weird issues of my network stack just disappearing. My ethernet and wireless just doesn't show up and only loopback adapter is present. No matter what I do, I can't bring those back. Only a reboot fixes it.

Everything is just very brittle and unreliable. :(

I don't know where to ask this.

What's the fastest way to blank a line in vi/vim?
Currently I'm doing "dd" to delete the line and then "o escape" to insert an empty line and go into normal mode. Is there something which would blank the whole line with just one combo? Is there a built in, proper solution or do I have to create a simple function?

D

ps: vimtutor you need it.

Failed to detect gamma for output blah blah.
Tried to add mode same error.
Can never find my output query says screen0 but add mode and new mode are shit all.
Errors galore just trying to setup my resolution.

Look man, this isn't a joke or a meme. Debian is a terrible distro for desktop users.

Please go to BSD so we don't have to listen to your moaning.
I've been using linux for many years and I've never had, or ever heard of, a breakage like you had from an icon set. You did something fucked up to cause that or the icon theme you installed was horrifically incomplete. Brittle? A program goes to find something it relies and and doesn't find it or there is corruption in it, program segfaults. Sounds like common sense to me.

>or ever heard of, a breakage like you had from an icon set. You did something fucked up to cause that or the icon theme you installed was horrifically incomplete.
STFU

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2010223

When a fucking icon breaks the OS, you know it's fucking brittle. Something like that is impossible on Win or OSX.

>Dedbian
LMAO

What are some cool things you can do with Linux Deploy on Android?

I have it all installed, I ssh in and am at a loss what to do now.

Not him, but apt is a piece of shit

>I found another retard with the same problem on ubuntu

>corrupted
Any OS will have problems if there is corruption.
Now fuck off to Win or OSX, please.

It's not corrupted you retard. Issue was with priority. You don't know anything. Stay out of conversations you can't back up with facts.

And I fucking guarantee you that Win/Mac would not segfault every application even if you managed to somehow corrupt the cursor. Cursor is not handled on the app level you stupid dolt.

>Now fuck off to Win or OSX, please.
Make me.

This is the friendly GNU/Linux thread, please be nice :(

That works if my cursor is at the beginning of the line. I was hoping there would be something which can do it from wherever I am on the line.
I guess I'll have to settle with 0D then.

It happened for a reason user, it's not magic. If a program relies on something and that something is broken or corrupt then it won't work, this is common sense. Windows and Mac use a different system regarding shared libraries so it makes little sense to compare, but the principle is the same, if something relied upon is corrupt then it won't work.

>Make me.
Wow, I haven't heard that since I was 11.

>emerge texlive
>now downloading 250MB worth of packages
Fuck everything.

what's a good linux distro if i hate myself and want to die every fucking day

i tried looking on the fglt website, but they didn't have any recommendations for whimpy faggots

>try to install icon theme on windows
>download and run some sketchy .dll file because that's the only way to change them
>am now part of 10 botnets or the operating system breaks

There, that would be the WIndows version of your problem.

You sound perfect for Arch.

thanks, senpai

I did a mini.iso install of Ubuntu where you pick the packages you want installed during installation and only chose MATE desktop.

Is that ultimately the exact same thing as using the full UbuntuMATE distro straight away?

Arch. You'll fill the void in your soul with pointless and endless tinkering.

Debian

See

my gpu is even newer than his is, too

sounds almost perfect between that and arch

thanks, senpais

gentoo