Daily BlackBerry 10 Thread

This is a thread for those who enjoy using BlackBerry smartphones [and other devices] which run the wonderful, QNX-based, BlackBerry 10 OS (like the Passport, Classic, Q10, Q5, Z30 and so on). Let's share the advantages of using a BB10 device, discuss tips, recommend apps, and have a good ol' fashioned circle-jerk. I'll start.

Reasons not to use a BlackBerry 10 Device:
- You use another god tier smartphone like the Ubuntu Phone, Jolla Phone, or the eminently modifiable Nokia N900
- You have reached ascended master status and only rely on a dumbphone / no phone at all
- You're a negro child who needs to play all the latest Android gaymes on his phone
- You love drinking anal leakage from the Google botnet
- You need your hand held by Apple faggetz

Reasons to use a BlackBerry 10 device:
- Secure, stable, fast, responsive, based on the glorious Unix-like QNX operating system.

- Robust. Comes OOTB with a bevy of features / capabilities that on the other mobile OSes you'd only get via a custom ROM or multiple third-party apps. It can do way more than a fresh install of iOS or stock Android can. Also, the BlackBerry Assistant is objectively more functional than Apple's Siri.

- No feature creep. Because BB10 has become a bit of a niche platform, it is maintained rather than "enhanced" with new features every update. Updates mainly focus on improving upon existing features, increasing performance, security patches and so on. This means you can use it to help you get shit done, rather than worrying about changing your workflow. This is the same reason many of us stick with LTS releases of LiGNUx distros. When you actually have to get work done in the real world, it's far better to know your device well, and be able to rely on its stability.

- Compatible with legacy Android apps (4.4 and below). Ships with Amazon AppStore, but you can add F-Droid, APKPure, and others, on the occasions you might need something that's not provided in the OS, or via BlackBerry World.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/56332044
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

last thread here BTW: archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/56332044

~recommended non-stock apps from BlackBerry World that were mentioned there~
Web:
- Browsie Browser: Alternative web browser that's fast and clean like the stock browser, but sports a bunch of extra features, like ad-blocking that actually blocks network connections to ad-servers. Perfect for when you're only on mobile.

Media:
- No Tag Player: An audio player for those times when you put a bunch of untagged music on your phone, and just want to play it by directory and file name. While the stock music player is fucking great in every other respect, that's the one feature it's missing.
- Neutron: Full-featured media player with all the bells and whistles you'd find on a desktop OS.
- WaveRecorder: Does what it says. Records audio in uncompressed .wav format, and does it well.
- Parrot: Useful and polished audio recording utility.
-FastTube: Efficient Youtube interface

Productivity:
- FBReader: While it's another Android port, it's hands down the best eBook reader for BB10.
- Renamed Todo: Task list management application that actually follows the widely used ToDo.txt format / conventions. Can mange todo.txt files both locally, and in the cloud.
- TxtEdit: Handy minimalist text editor that supports syntax highlighting.
- File Diff: A graphical interface to diff. Useful.

System:
- Total Commander: Great secondary file manger ported from Android. Can do things like search within text files and other documents. Also comes with a nifty built-in text editor, media viewer, and audio player.
- Term48: Fantastic terminal emulator.
- Contacts ImEx: Export single contacts, or all of them, to vCard or CSV files.

Social:
- FaceSlim: An Android port for FaceBook that actually respects your privacy and freedom.
- Notification for FaceBook: Similar to above.

Android App stores:
- F-Droid
-APKPure

My phone slows down sometimes. Like when I start typing, assistant will mess up the text in the search field, browser doesn't respond very well after using it for about 45-60 minutes. It's not all the time. Just some times. Slow. The RAM is never full. I always have more than 400mb free I've checked. Any idea why it slows down like that?

check underthe cpu tab of device monitor and close any unnecessary / third-party apps that are currently running. also make sure that there's not a huge datastore/cache for your browser, and in your android folder. that should clear it up.

Oh okay. I've never done any of that. I'll try it. Thanks.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a q10, can i use shh with it.

I'm not OP but I'm a Crackberry Ambassador AMA

Why the fuck does my Q10 constantly shit it self and reboot needlessly. It started happening after I installed a 10.3 update using some instructions on the crackberry forums.

use the official stable release ya fag stop using leaks

It wasnt a leak, it was from other telco. I forgot the entire process, but it involved picking something from a list of telcos. Anyways how do i go about fixing this fuck up.

That happens to you too!? I thought it was happening to me because I've dropped the phone a few times and I thought maybe something broke inside. I'm on official update.

Have had all types of phones pass by, even WebOS.

My previous phone was a BB Classic. Great keyboard, loved the hub, good security and the phone is build as a rock.

But I hated the OS, hated the browser, hated the battery life, the android app compatibility is laughable.

Currently owning an iphone SE and it's a goddamn step up.

Sorry to say, BB10 will be dead sooner or later. In regards of usability, android / ios easily beat BB10. Take note, Blackberry.

Crackberry is almost completely shit these days. Only a few members are good who post actual info. Everyone else is either spamming for post count(Jaydee) or crying about whatsshit stopping in 2017. Then you have the non native speakers who just ask stupid things like when I get google play shit, when is next update, when is next phone.

And the fuck is up with the horrible forum thread title. Was it Z3 or Z30 board where people put stupid title threads like "Happy", "storage". People posting memes and laughing at stupid shit like they do on reddit.

There was this indian faggot who asked a question. A guy answered. The fucking faggot asked the same stupid question again. I told the idiot to fucking read the fucking answer. I got an infraction.

Very comfy with the classic

App permission

Run when minimized eats battery. Does "run in background" eat battery too?

They have. That's why there trying to kill it now.

Why can't the implement the Hub in android like they did in BB10. Is it an android limitation?

>But I hated the OS
Confirmed for utterly, shit taste.

>get this 9800 bold temporarily for whatsapp since my iphone 5 is broken
>whatsapp says fuck you for using blackberry, get a better phone
why is this allowed?

>Why can't the implement the Hub in android like they did in BB10. Is it an android limitation?
You do know the BB Priv runs andriod and BB Hub is available in the google store for free?

if blackberry is so great, why did mr robot shit on it, then?

>That's why Blackberry is switching to Android
keep on bluepilling

That's why we side with Stallman. If whatsapp was Libre we wouldn't be having this issue.

Yeah I know but I've seen it and it seemed different and shitty to me. In BB10 it's smooth and shows everything. In android it shows only some apps and there's a slight delay. It's like it's not part of the system. It's integrated well in BB10 and not so well in android. Do you agree with that?

good one.

Fuck if i know, I have a Q10, I was just pointing out that it was available. Also I only use text/email/phone, I dont bother with social media.

well i just want to know, since everything else tech-related on that show is perceived to be good
but sure go ahead and avoid the criticism. You are no better than ifags.

If BB10 came up at the same time as iOS and Android, would it be more relavent today? I feel that the only reason BB10 is being killed is because less people use it and the chink ceo wants to sell more devices. BB10 is definitely better than Android. It's only the app gap that people complain about. I only use the browser so I don't care that much.

Lol okay. I don't social much either other than bbm.

How is BlackBerry assistant better than Siri? It takes minutes to process shit.

>- Browsie Browser:
Didn't know that, will check out.
Because, besides the
>muh noapps!!11!!!
(lets face it, sometimes an app for something does make your life easier), the fact that I cant block adds in the browser really annoys me.
Can I also do custom element blocking, like in ublock? 80% of all sites are virtually unusable on my Q10, because of that stupid floating menu bar at the top, that takes up a quarter of my screen.

Oh man do I hate those floating shits. I try using reader mode whenever I can to actually be able to read the page.

Yes

Isn't the Hub just an app in Android? It's not integrated into the OS like in BB10OS.

>implying they switched because Android was better

Awesome, thanks for the post OP
Trying out the Browsie now.
Anyone reading this thread, BB Passport is king

I approve of this thread. I upgraded to a Note 3 long ago, but I still have my faithful Q10.