/agt/ Audio General Thread

/agt/
Audio General Thread
Sexy subwoofer Edition
Post your setup, give suggestions, post some pastebin or Quick consumer guide, so that we can upgrade them
Previous Thread Overpriced shit edition

Other urls found in this thread:

harmankardon.com/bluetooth-speakers/ONYX STUDIO 2.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IXQAtYqRj8c
youtube.com/watch?v=UoDmH5CD9r8
amazon.com/gp/product/B001202C44?tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=65b5e64de87e21d2ada5b97b83bd848205512456&rawdata=[r|https://www.google.com/[t|link[p|1499066014[a|B001202C44[au|5716553178370339807[b|lifehacker
chiru.no/dl/notanime/sacd/
philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

got my first pc today and chose creative gigaworks t20 as my speakers
there was nothing really better at the store and i thought these would be better than my previous laptop built in beats speakers but they're kinda not that clear.
What should I do to make them clearer?
How should I put bass and treble?
Do I have to tweak something in Realtek audio manager?
Should I keep windows volume at 100 and change the volume by the speaker only or vice versa(does it matter)?

Windows volume always 100
You don't have to tweak anything, you are using 50$ speakers what did you expect? They are barely louder than tv or monitors inbuilt speakers, but they, from a realistic point of view are absolute total shit. I mean, if your purpose is watching cod4 compilation at 480p on YouTube then they are perfect. But if you wanted to seriously listen to music they are pleb tier, the worst of the worst, it's better to sing the song by yourself. If you want to seriously start to listen to music you should consider at least two way active speakers. Some edifier shit is good for beginners, but those are really everything that is wrong with the world
Also forgot to remove sexy subwoofer edition from description fuck

spend $1000 on room treatment immediately
room treatment is the most important
you don't even need speakers or an amplifier
just treat the room and place the usb with mp3s on your head

it will make the audio come out like magic

hey i just bought a lepai and two JBL 305s for only $400s

the .pdfs say i have the best flat system nao

no one should ever think of purchasing anything else ever again and if they do they are just too fucking stupid to live

I'm moving to a rather small flat in 3 weeks. Can't take my current monitors / stereo / audio gear.

I'm looking for something small to at least let me listen to music for the next 6 months. It's only a cheap temporary system so I was thinking a Topping amp but I have no idea about smaller speakers. Any suggestions for bookshelf's that have a nice rich sound?

Nice that we have an audio thread but not so nice we already have a persistent shitposter ruining it.

you'd better make sure you spend almost nothing on the amplifier since every amplifier with THD < .01 is exactly the same and there is no need for anything even if its cheap piece of crap you'd otherwise throw in the toilet

anyone who has a "superior" amp is just deluding themselves and trying to make other people feel bad since all amps are exactly the same no matter what

harmankardon.com/bluetooth-speakers/ONYX STUDIO 2.html

what i got r8 it

Did all these arguments from past threads hurt your feelings so hard you now have to shitpost? Hey buddy, how about you just fuck off to reddit or headfi. Your subjectivist view is not welcome here.

It's par for the course on Sup Forums. Every actually helpful general has one mentalist, or maybe it's the same guy in each one?

I need a decent 5.1 setup for my computer. I have a 2.1 now but I have a big build almost done and would like something good for it.

Anything good that is kind of compact?

Passive speakers with low wattage are kind of rare

So how bad is SMSL? Looking to buy a dac and amp but I hear they're shit from Sup Forums, though reviews for the product online seem to be favorable.

I have Logitech z906, they are quite good i bought them for 230€ which is basically nothing
For that price there is nothing better. If you want to setup your own with your own passive speakers you should spend at least 1000€

They are ok
Also they make some good stuff over 300$

Yes. Out of the blue the Genelec's smallest models(8010, 8020) with a sub(7040) would be some of the nicest and easiest to put up. They are fairly costly so budget would help.

I rate it poorly. Had a listen and it's really harsh sounding. I've heard better "portable" speakers.

It's cheap Chinese gear with poor quality control. If you order from Amazon you can always return them were there something wrong with your unit.

Hey I recommend watching these videos for some audio reviews

youtube.com/watch?v=IXQAtYqRj8c
youtube.com/watch?v=UoDmH5CD9r8

Interesting shit.

Careful with those memes

Well the TP amps I'm looking at output up to 60w depending on model, which will power something smaller like some Q acoustics or Wharfdales for example

We always talk about audio equipment but Sup Forums, where do you download hi res music?
I download from rutracker flac 16/44.1, the only 24/96 i was able to find were those homemade from vinyl, that were even more noisy than average 16/44.1
Also, where you buy dem flacs?
Inb4 hd tracks

Downloading any loseless from the internet, especially public trackers is a risk. Who knows if they aren't transcodes.

But yeah most of my music is from rutracker, piratebay or nyaa for weebshit. Sometimes just from some dude's blog.

Flac retailers tend to be more genre specific so it depends on what sort of music you're after. Personally Bandcamp, Boomkat, Bleep etc cover most of my needs. Buying direct from labels can be a good idea too.

If I recall right, this guy was a tripfag on Sup Forums.
Why not just link to the written review?

>Who knows if they aren't transcodes.
That can apply even if you buy direct. Transcodes and zero-padding are done are sometimes done at production level.

If I need to download something it's usually from Bandcamp, what, rutracker or artists' own site. I mostly use Spotify.

Yes he has a trip. I mostly see him post to battlestation threads but it has been a while.

>Windows volume always 100%
Just install ASIO and actually have a reason for doing so

>implying 2.1 isn't good
>implying 2.0 isn't god tier

Don't get an amp+passive, that's only for low-end budget jews and extreme high-end connectivity, there's dozens of reasonably priced active stereo monitors

I have a pair of Yamaha hs80m's for making music but they're too big for this room (and to ship them abroad without their boxes, which disappeared 5 or 6 years ago).

Any recommendations for smaller mons?

Some dude is selling ''custom made'' speakers made by his friend locally. Looks pretty well made, and the price isn't high. Can anyone recognize these drivers though?

And I forgot the picture like a dumb fuck

Thanks for the tips
I mostly want to buy classical music, today i saw that Sony had a classical collection of 24bit 88.2khz recording and now i have the burning Desire to own that collection

If you already have them use them, they are one of the best monitors around, no point in buying something worse

Gonna buy a SMSL SA98
For speakers I have 2 options
ELAC Uni-fi UB5
or
Klipsch R-14M

JBL 305
or
Fluance SX6
?

That tweeter placement
Listen friend, you can't do speakers on your own. You gotta have engineers, technicians, you must try them in specific ambients. Also most of nowadays speakers have magnetic shield against interferences and other stuff that that shitty speakers obviously doesn't have
So do yourself a favour and don't waste your money on those

I'd go fluance

How about

amazon.com/gp/product/B001202C44?tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=65b5e64de87e21d2ada5b97b83bd848205512456&rawdata=[r|https://www.google.com/[t|link[p|1499066014[a|B001202C44[au|5716553178370339807[b|lifehacker

I already have a living room set so thats for my office/computer.

That price is about good for a budget or a little higher/lower. Looking for some 5.1 with a compact ish form factor. Already have full sized Klipsch in the living room.

the other shit i'm seeing other than smsl in the price range i'm looking is Topping, are they any good? Not sure which brands to avoid.

It kind of raises a flag when the amazon page for smsl items is all in broken fucking English and none of it makes any sense

>watch a 5.1 movie @ 2.x ch

Good passive speakers for a desktop setup in the $200~ range? Was listening to the Klipsch R-15M which sound great to me but they're fucking gigantic. The R-14M were a better size but sounded off to me, bass was too much.

hahahah Sup Forums summed up

just bought a lapi its good to know that amps dont matter at all and i get the same sound as a mchintosh stack

Receiver/amp
>Yamaha RX-V379 = $~200

Stereo/front
>JBL Loft 40 = $~80

Center
>JBL Loft 20 = $~75

Surround
>JBL Loft 30 = $~60

Sub
>Polk PSW10 = $~100

just buy cds reminder that all those flac files are ripped from a cd anything claiming to be a higher bitrate is probally lieing with some exceptions

for a small room, for the price there's nothing better than the KRK Rokit 5" (G2-G3) right?

I'm finding them for $150 a pair on ebay good condition.

spend 500 on a sub you will thank me later

keep in mind this is for music production mostly, not gaymin

Should I buy a pair of Asus PB258Q or a pair of ELAC Uni-fi UB5 and amp

Currently I have a 24" 1080p monitor a gtx 1070 and some 5.1 logitech speaker system

I know, I can't get

Need advice for a good desktop setup for ~100€

you need to go to hifi stores and audition subs its not just about how low it can go sometimes they sound like farts in the low frequency range sub 30hz with my current one focal sw 1000 and it is just so punchy and clear its amazing but its super experience buy what you like the sound of

save more money and wait buy something good insted of something cheap

Mackie CR4

also expect cheap receavers like that to break they cut corners assembling them too keep costs down

Best set of passive speakers?
Budget 500 usd

anything other than production monitors are memes

>hs8 master race

How much would you recommend saving? I have quite a few things to buy on top of audio.

Never even heard of these before. Are they better than a similarly priced speaker+amp combo?

i can probably ID them if you give me something bigger than a thumbnail.

tweeter looks like a goldwood gt-525 or GRS knockoff. woofer is aluminum cone, so unless he spent more on the crossover parts than he did on drivers, there's probably some nasty resonances right where the ear is most sensitive.

just looks like cookie-cutter design

I missed the poorfag thread. I got a set of logitech speakers that are a decade old and I need to replace them. All I need is stereo sound, so what pair of speakers should I get for music? I'm going to power them with a pawn shop receiver that I will upgrade later. I might add a sub later as well. Price range is around $200.

Not him but I have a RX-V379 and to be fair it's a very decent receiver for the price if don't want fell in the vintage meme amp.

I just download them from chiru.no/dl/notanime/sacd/

im an audiophile so i would say about 1k i got into audio blind and bought a 1.3k 2.0 system and ive been hooked ever since if you buy used you coudl get some really good deals

Guys, what are ur thoughts on the Akai Rpm800?

Not going to be able to afford that. That's two months wage after paying rent for me.
Most I could push for is 150€

Was thinking of Scythe SCBKS-1100 with SMSL SA-50 amp, but really unsure. Especially about the amp.

yeah, it's important to make sure the sub you're interested in is designed correctly.

often companies will cut part costs until the sub technically isn't fully functional; sub plate amps are almost always garbage that clip even at low volumes. ports are usually undersized, so monstrous amounts of port chuffing is the "norm". high-excursion woofers that come with ridiculously high Le, varying the response as the coil heats.

once you're sure a sub is functional, then it's all about output and frequency extension.

remember that the room, and where the sub is located in it, completely dominates how it sounds. completely. an expensive sub that sounds crisp and clean in the store can (and probably will) sound boomy/mushy when you take it home.

the only way to fairly compare two subs is to swap them out in the same location. unless you've got a hardcore salesman willing to push subs around and swap cables for 20 mins, then one sub has an unfair advantage.

any opinions about magnat speakers? Thinking about getting pic related (monitor supreme 102) for 90 euros a pair. I used to have monitor audios bronzes b2, and they felt too boomy for my 12m^2 room, so considering these for the smaller woofers and cheap price. any input appreciated

absolutely not necessary to spend a grand.

those scythes look pretty terrible.

combine your speaker and amp budgets and buy powered monitors instead. JBL LSR305 is still the leader by far.

they're the same bookshelf design that's been around for decades now. i'm sure they sound the same as fluance sx6 or any other similar design.

if you put the magnats in the same locations as the b2s, you'll probably still have boominess. smaller woofers don't reduce boom per se, they reduce ALL bass (including the frequency the boom was happening at).

of course you would get good ones but ive talked to a few people and they have broken ones

>those scythes look pretty terrible
The internet can never seem to agree on anything.

>JBL LSR305
Holy flat response batman. I think you just ended my 2.0 hunt.
Wonder how many weeks before I get noise complaints.

Whoops. Didn't realize the price was double my budget. And yet, I'm still convinced I should just get these and forget buying any kind of audio equipment ever again.

philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Someone please tell me if these are good. I've been asking in the past three threads.

meme speakers

>buying an amp for powered monitors

This

monitors are memes hifi is way better its more musical and enjoyable

>placebo is more musical and enjoyable

can't argue with you there. the placebo effect is a very real phenomenon.

ive done side by side tests 1800$ monitors vs my 1600$ speakers the hifi won every time i think you just think that because you cant afford hifi

that's just the shitposter trying to stir the pot.

you can tell it's him by the way he shoehorns in "flat response" apropos of nothing

they're just Parts Express' BR-1s with a custom crossover.

part quality is great, but they have the same downfalls any other "dome on a box" design has: mismatched directivity at the crossover frequency, possibly resulting in lobing, and narrowing directivity in the treble.

the PE version's crossover has rising on-axis treble to bandaid the laser-beam directivity, to keep them from sounding dark when you're listening from the couch.

the PA version turns them into pure monitors. the new crossover is optimized only for nearfield, on-axis response. sit farther than 2 feet away, or a couple degrees off-axis and they'll sound dull and nasally.

so they'll work fine as monitors, but $210 + shipping on 32lbs of speakers isn't great value. for that much the tweeter should absolutely be waveguided.

For a poorfag a Lepai 2020 and a pair of Micca MB42X sounds good?

What do you suggest instead? Thanks for the answer.

Why do you all hate the lsr305s? Is it just because of the hissing they make?

noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

they seem breddy good according to this review though the guy says their soundstage is lacking and they aren't very exciting to listen to. That puts me off buying a pair. fuck

Sup Forums loved them until Zeos made a video, now they're hot garbage.

You can do speakers on your own. Heck if you have the knowledge you can do some amazing stuff with DSP modules built into the loudspeakers nowadays. I've seen incredibly well performing designs from DIY people using off the shelf parts from brands like Hypex, Icepower, miniDSP, Scanspeak and the like. That said those posted look like ass.

JBL easily. Fluance doesn't look that good at all.

Useless with subs given how you are essentially listening to your room when you take it home. Good design matters but you can't hope to get a sub integrated in a room without measuring the performance on site and applying EQ at the very least. Sub arrays or bass traps aid with more even sound power around a larger area in the room.

They are amazing value and do stuff like on axis linearity and more importantly directivity better than anything else near its price point. I see just the shitposter "hating" on them.

the audio industry is built on the ideas of personal preference and brand loyalty, to cover up that most designs are recycled from the '80s.

so when people see a single product continuously recommended, they think it's shilling or groupthink. that's why the only argument against the 305 is "meme speaker".

i don't recall noaudiophile's review mentioning soundstage at all, but that's one of controlled directivity's strengths. in fact, CD means you can toe-OUT the 305s for an exaggerated soundtage and increased spatiousness/imaging.

not sure where "they aren't very exciting" came from, either. he mentions the lack of "fake detail" from too-loud treble. that's a good thing! if you want fake detail for whatever reason, you're free to use the treble control on the back.

Right at the end he mentions they dont have a very realistically sized/shaped soundstage. I take it that means the soundstage isn't very tall and doesn't image depth?

Also he says they're lacking in the "euphorics" department. I wonder if i'm better off with a more colored speaker just for casual listening idk

yep its all personal prefrence everyone should audition any peice of equipment before they buy it

>Bought Wharfedale Diamond 3s (80s or 90s old speakers) for 40 bux off some old dude
>Pair with Lepai amp
>Fall in love
>Buy Wharfedale Diamond 121s, Dac, Amp
>Still prefer my Lepai Wharfedale Diamond 3 setup over that bassy boomy 121 bullshit.

What the hell... I paid like 800 AUD for that Wharfedale Diamond 121 setup, its nice sometimes but its often too bass and lacks clarity like my Diamond 3s I scored for 50 bux... The mids especially are good on the diamond 3s especially for 50 bux.

What do ya'll think of the Diamond 9s, 10s and 121 series?

>just bought: breeze tpa3116 + Douk DSD1796+XMOS-U8
>found a Q Acustics 3020 used for 140$
what yall think, just go for those or I could get something better?

"euphorics"?

haha, the hell does that even mean? and why didn't he mention it in the body of his review? sounds like a little bit of added BS to make his conclusion sound "balanced".

>I take it that means the soundstage isn't very tall and doesn't image depth?
nope. think about it like this: soundstage mostly comes from the recording itself, not the speaker. if that height/depth information is there (and it usually isn't), it's the speakers job to portray it accurately by providing correct timbre and avoiding early reflections. ...the exact things the 305s are great at.

the clincher is that he says
>"but closer than normal placement to side walls and running with some toe in seems to help with those issues."
which means he's actually describing an imaging problem due to his tiny-ass listening room. skipping the jargon, the best solution is steep toe-in. it's obvious he never tried this, otherwise he'd have figured out the purpose of the HF trim controls.

>I wonder if i'm better off with a more colored speaker just for casual listening idk
uh, you're kinda mashing ideas together here.
controlled directivity means the usable sweet spot is huge, so you can lay upside down on your couch across the room and still get great sound. if do the steep toe-in thing, the stereo image is even stabilized as you walk across the room.

if you mean that a colored speaker would be more fun to listen to, that's definitely not how it works.

Thanks for the answers man i'll probably be getting these speakers soon

Topping is way better than smsl
Yes but stuff like all Mendelssohn quartet by melos quartet in Europe is never avaible under 100€

Buump

What tracks do you use to test your gear?

Headphones: Fiio E10K + ALG K702
Speakers: Indiana Line Mio Kit 2.1
Modest setup but ot has great value. I'm going to get Yamaha HS8 once I move to a bigger and treated room.

Whichever song I know very well

Gekiretsu de Karei Naru Hibi from the Haruhi OST is always the first thing I play.

Gas Gas Gas