/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no/
en-us.sennheiser.com/audiophile-headphones-wireless-digital-over-ear-rs-195
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ULAP4U/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished
chiru.no/play/?anison/Anime lossless OP ED IN collection/Black Lagoon - Red fraction.flac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

chiru.no/

Like a song? request it for others to listen to!

Are there any good around ear bluetooth headphones on the market?

Where can I get a cord/cable?
Got this Japanese JVC's but the cable twisted, looks like I can solder a new one. Will send pics if needed.

Congrats on another shit OP

kys

The Sony MDR-Z1R announced a while back has MSRP set at 2300.

Already mentioned before, Sennheiser has announced the 559/579/599 open backed models and the 569 closed back.

Audeze has launched its first series of in-ear headphones.
>The three new models range in price from just $399 to $2,495. All models include Audeze’s Lightning cable for Apple’s iPhone/iPod/iPad.

What did they mean by this?

The new Audezes are open backed.
>iSine10
>iSine20
>LCDi3

Not very in-the-ear, is it? The driver used is quite large.

They aren't very comfortable for long periods.

Holy shit kys..
At least wait for the bump limit you stupid faggot

>At least wait for the bump limit
Are you stupid or trying to pick a fight? I'm going to guess it is both.

It's just a shitposter, user, ignoring them is more effective.

>Budget
400 usd
>Location
Mootxico
>Source
Fiio E10K
>Preferred type of headphone
Over
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Very comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral o v-shaped
>Past headphones
None

How's the Beyerdynamic DT770? Thinking of buying that one, or should I get something else of similar price and specs/comfort?

Not bad bad if you are looking for a closed-back and v-shapped signature headphone.

>tfw I used to have a pair of modded Senn HD580s (same driver as HD600), a little dot tube amp with matched NOS tubes, and a dedicated DAC with a tube pre-amp capable of 24b/96KhZ, plus a bunch of other cans

Now the best I have is some V-Moda M80s and a Fiio E6

Financial problems suck. And I only got a fraction of what they were worth at a pawn shop

>fml

What's a good dac/amp all-in-one for not much money?

cartel must be doing really great

The DT 770 is good but the biggest problem is the ATH M50X. I know people willl call meme, but just listen to both at a store and thank me later.

Don't make it too hard, HD600 or 650. You will have to chug out HD800 money if you want to hear a difference, and even then most people prefer the HD600 anyway. HD800 sounds too clean.

Thanks

>wireless is frowned upon
But why?

This is an audiophile thread

Due to quantum tunneling bluetooth can't go past 256kbps.

If the bluetooth bandwidth was 10 Ghz only then could FLAC files be played without loss in quality.

How is the ath m50x for jazzy rap (think Nuajbes and Cyne) and punk rock?

What's wrong with 256kbps mp3? I just use mine for exercising and even then they don't sound much worse than my vmoda remotes, but they were a fraction of the cost so I'm pretty sure it's not because it's Bluetooth, lol.

>$10 Bluetooth earphones sounding shockingly close to my 60 dollar vmoda remotes
Just weaker mids on the Bluetooth earphones.

>$40
>US of A
>Laptop/Phone
>Earbuds
>Closed
>Decently comfy
>neutral
>SHP9500s

Fuck you we're elite Audiophiles here and we don't like you're kind around here!
Wireless? Pfft, go and stick your head in a toilet with a speaker on the outside, but not a Bluetooth speaker because that'll sound even worse!

Kill yourself degenerate, audio quality is the only useful metric for comparing headphones and WIRELESS IS SHIT AND YOU'RE SHIT.

This thread is for appreciating the best Audiophile technology!

They're pretty good all-arounders since they are studio monitors, but they're kind of on the bassy side. Not bloated or anything just kind of warm and slow. They would be perfect for jazz or rap, but instrumentals might get a little fuzzy with punk.

Overall great cans though. The Shure SRH-840 sounds very similar but a little more flat, which can be good or bad, depending on how much color you want in the sound.

The problem is that the treble sounds awful and you are not getting full bass frequencies. It will strain your ears more if you have headphones that cost $100 or over. Don't believe me? Download a bunch of FLAC files, listen to them for a week and say that again.

en-us.sennheiser.com/audiophile-headphones-wireless-digital-over-ear-rs-195

>The only acceptable pair of wireless headphones.

I like the way you're trying to be, like, sarcastic or something, but like, nothing you said is wrong, my dude

The arrow just makes it more confusing.

I don't listen to flac though, I listen to 256kbps or 320kbps mp3 because my phone only has 32GB storage and it sounds fine for me. I'm not too fussed over the sound quality, I won't cry when I listen to good sounding music like the retarded audiophiles ITT.

I've tried Flac with my vmoda remotes, and the difference in sound quality isn't worth the file size difference between that and 256kbps mp3.

>Budget
100$ on amazon

>Location
Colorado USA

>Source
PC

Full sized. I already got a pear of earphones for portability

>Open or closed
Prefer closed

>Comfort level
I'm gonna be wearing them for hours at a time so would prefer them to be pretty comfortable

>Past headphones
I'm using some Shure se112s right now and they sound pretty alright to me. I don't know though cause I haven't tried on a pair of actually nice headphones for a while

I listen to a bunch of stuff. Pretty much everything except edm, classical, and country. Mostly rap and British punk rock lately. I'm pretty fond of Nujabes and Kanye

Dude I'm just an average joe who doesn't cry when listening to music but you have to be literally 13 years old if you can't distinguish a FLAC from 256k MP3.

No point in arguing this point because everyone who actually knows stuff about music and sound will be able to trump you day and night. Better just accept the facts and start paying attention to sound quality, unless you want to appear like an ignorant pleb in every thread you go to.

>Budget
$40
>Location
USA
>Source
Laptop/Phone
>Type
Earbuds
>Open or Closed
Closed
>Comfiness Level
Decently comfy
>Dynamics
Neutral
>Previous Headphones
SHP9500

Coming from someone with Shure SE215s you'll be better off getting those instead of $100 headphones which won't sound as nice but take up so much space while providing less sound isolation.

Just saying I wish I had skipped $100 headphones entirely and just gotten those earbuds earlier.

Considering bumping up my budget a little bit for ath-m50x. You think those would work for me?

Absolutely. You'll have to spend HD600 money if you want to go up from there.

God damn that's a lot of money. Thanks for the help dude. One more question, would I be able to hear a difference between flac files and whatever's on spotify?

>Colorado
>mynigga.jpg

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ULAP4U/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

Plus velour pads if you can scrape up another $20 or so. More comfy and keeps your ears warm

Never said I can't distinguish it, I just
>the difference in sound quality isn't worth the file size difference

Don't forget my primary mp3 player is a 32GB phone, also mentioned in that post, so file size is an important factor too.

Yes if you pay attention. But you need to pay attention. Afterwards you can hear the difference if you train your ear.

So pretty much placebo then?

Bunch of poverty tier motherfuckers in this thread.

You can't even spend $200 on a pair of good headphones, or for an amp/dac?

Maybe you should be spending your $50 on getting some nice resumes or something printed or a new dress shirt because you're fucking your life up right now.

That's not what he said at all dipshit.

There is a clear audible difference when playing a .flac file over playing a track on Spotify. IF the recording is well mastered, IF you have decent transducers, and in some cases IF you have an external DAC / amp.

It will only ever sound as good as your very weakest link. Don't expect to A/B test flac vs 256kbps mp3 on a set of Apple earbuds or out of a shitty laptop and notice an amazing improvement.

No. I just said there is a difference. You can hear it afterwards. You can hear more details but if you're not paying attention you might not notice that they are there. But after you've hear them you will notice they are absent from compressed files.

Not him, but no, it's not placebo, but the difference is negligible. Honestly, some well encoded AAC at 320kbps will sound nearly identical as a lossless counterpart. Unless you have super revealing equipment. Even 256kbps sounds decent, if it's encoded properly. It depends on how much time you spend with lossless and what equipment you have. If you're not used to it, you won't hear a difference, but once you go FLAC you never go back.

>Budget
$150
>Location
usa
>Source
pc
over
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
pretty comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
netrual
>Past headphones
earbuds/gayming headsets

>1/10
Made me respond

I don't think anyone has blind A/B distinguished 384kbps AAC from FLAC in a controlled study that I could find. That seems to be the current threshold of transparency.

>audiophiles

I don't think there is a difference, not from what any human ear could hear (trained or untrained). Having an original lossless format just ensures that you aren't missing any points of data. I think most audiophiles just have OCD, and want everything to be there whether they can hear it or not.

I distinguished between chiru.no flac and mp3 and told the difference

DT 990.

Kek

What are you doing in an audiphile thread?

Oh, of course, you had beats STUDIO headphones and YOU can't hear the difference between a compressed and uncompressed file. Good for you buddy, it's not like EVERY SINGLE PERSON who KNOWS shit about music disagrees with you.

That's not the same as AAC and you didn't mention the quality of the MP3

>I think most audiophiles just have OCD, and want everything to be there whether they can hear it or not.
Holy shit this is it. Everything makes so much more sense now

>DT990
>neutral

DT880, but they might be more expensive in US.
AKGs are good and probably cheaper in US, too.

Pretty much, audiophiles are some of the biggest autists out there and are willing to spend lots of money to make their nipples hard when they listen to Beck on vinyl.

Where are you getting this information from? I'm using rock zircons because unlike you stupid audiophiles wasting 10k on your shit dacs and amps, pretending flac sounds SOOOOOOOOO much better, unlike you stupid audiophiles I have a gf and a life :^)

ask her what her favorite audio codec is

So I posted in the previous thread, and I got 2 replies telling me to get Beyerdynamic DT 770, so I'll post once again to get more opinions before buying it.

Budget
300$
>Location
shithole European country
>Source
desktop
full size
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
don't care
>Preferred tonal balance
bass (I mostly listen to dnb)
>Past headphones
Audio Technica AD700

Spoify may not use the same files for reference as your FLAC files. That is, Spotify may receive different audio than what was on the CD or online.

Recognizing sound quality has a limited relation to the gear you own and have used. It is a learned trait.

The difference between lossless PCM audio and lossy coding isn't related to what the audio transducer, the headphone or speaker, does. Lossy audio is built around analyzing audio and making "judicious" approximations using local time-frequency information.
The encoder will strip out based a model of how the brain interprets and discard sound information.

Your speakers are not nearly that smart, those lossy errors of truncation and resampling are very contrary to any understanding of headphone physics. They make a very different series of mistakes.

AAC and MP3 coding lack generality even at the same bitrate.

M4A apparently...

Don't overplay it.

>AAC and MP3 coding lack generality even at the same bitrate.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about or don't understand what "generality" means

Just buy the DT770 already. They check all your requirements, are extremely comfortable and will save you money, since they go for about 130-150€ on Amazon.
The only negative thing about them is the stupid coiled cable, but you can either spend more one the premiums or how they are called or mod them.
Get the 250 Ohm version for Desktop, 80 Ohm is only good for laptops and smartphones because of the less powerful source. Avoid the 16 Ohm version.

You're a cuck m8.

Most phones and things can only handle up to 32ohms. Even if he got the 80ohm, he might want a Fiio E11 or something

ROCK Zircons are breddy gud, especially for the money you pay, i have them, too. Zircons shit on many over-priced IEMs like Bose or Beats.
I honestly see no point in investing 100€ in my IEMs i use for on the go and gym.
At home i have my DT990's.

I think 80 Ohm should be fine, 250 is certainly too much. My S4 can hardly drive my DT990, but it's still not completely shit, so 80 Ohm shouldn't give you any problems.

The implementation of lossy coding is very variable even if they adhere to mp3 and AAC standards. Codecs may undergo significant overhaul over the years so that results in perceptual examination will steadily improve over time. Early 90s mp3 sounds quite different from the latest development by LAME, even at same bitrate.

>can only handle up to 32ohms.
That's a bit backwards. Quite a few devices are unstable into low impedance loads, particularly below 32 ohms. High impedance versions are easier loads for all reasons besides sensitivity.

The word ‘cuck’ gets used a lot lately.

Many people have taken a try at describing the phenomenon, but I think all existing descriptions of ‘cuck’ miss why the point and the power of the word.

They miss why ‘cuck’ is not merely a modern ‘faggot’ or ‘hippy,’ but actually something much stronger. The perfect description for a modern epidemic that is destroying our nations, our societies, and our souls.

The term cuckold itself comes from the cuckoo bird: a bird that is a brood parasite. The cuckoo bird lays its eggs in the nests of other birds. Once the egg hatches, the young cuckoo will swiftly destroy or eat most or all of the nest’s original inhabitants. The parents of these murdered young who come back to a nest with a baby cuckoo in it will ignore the carnage, and dutifully raise the young cuckoo as if it is their own chick. Indeed, because cuckoos are often much larger than the birds whose nests they parasitize, it is possible for cucked parents to literally starve as they struggle to provide for the murderer of their real children.

In this context, it is easy to see just why ‘cuck’ is absolutely appropriate to a certain breed of today’s politicians. A cuck politician is a cuck when he or she takes pleasure in his nation’s people being cheated on. He gains political standing and a sense of moral superiority when he allows poor little cuckoo birds to roost in his nations cities and towns. A cuck politician is also a cuck because he knows that if he were ever to act against the cuckoos in his midst, he would invite disaster. Riots, terrorism, beheadings… And, of course, the approbation of his fellows cucks.

And our nations ARE run by cucks. Let there be no doubt about it. Cucks in both senses of the word: they refuse to recognize their enemy, and they can great pleasure in siding with him against their own countrymen.

Cuckoldry has become an entire mindset. The modern cuck is not a cuck only in one circumstance, but in ALL circumstances.

She's already been fucked by Apple dude, might as well raise your iPod mini, black colored.

>apple
What? She uses an lg g3, lol

yea, I bet she said that. she's listened to more m4as than a jukebox

PSA: DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!

So I bought a pair of Fidelio X2s and I've been loving them.

At one point I noticed the volume is too low and I went out to buy a Fiio E10K instead of ordering one because I didn't want to wait and they didn't have any E10Ks left so I bought an E11K(Kilimanjaro) and surprise surprise I fucked up.

When there aren't any mid level sounds or when there are barely any mid level sounds OR WHEN THERE'S NOTHING PLAYING you can hear a slight buzzing noise in the headphones which drives me fucking CRAZY.

So I did a little bit of googling and apparently I'm not the only person with these issues, if I would've done some research before buying it I wouldn't have a problem now.

I guess I'll save up some money and get a Scarlett Solo.

>Scarlett Solo
Just curious, why no O2?

Does anybody know where I can listen to a good quality song and then compare it to a YouTube video or something? I'd look up one myself, but I wouldn't know where to find the best, BEST quality.

>Audiophile got rekt
Cry more retard, you're only making me laugh harder :^)

chiru.no/play/?anison/Anime lossless OP ED IN collection/Black Lagoon - Red fraction.flac

Thanks, friend.

I have one of these. It's okay as a portable amp. The sound quality is good. The amp is pretty low noise, but there can be some noise while turning the volume wheel.

Also, you might just have created a ground loop somehow. Check on battery power and with the microphone disconnected if applicable.

MDR-Z1R - $2300
desu MDR-1000X is much more interesting.

tfw wireless audio codecs are near 1Mbps

Whatever happened to these? I used to have some XB700s but got rid of them. I wanted to buy another pair and noticed that they're discontinued and any that you can find cost way too much money.

Oh how fucking stupid I feel right now...................words cannot describe it......... do I just delete that post.

discontinued. good luck finding XB700 or XB1000 again for a reasonable price.

I can stream 5000kbit DSD files with my phone connected to any headphones

>5000kbit
>audio
but why

Well I'm not buying either right now because it appears the 11k is just fine, it's just me that's fucking stupid.

The thing I was hearing was a ground loop. pointed it out.

But if I had to buy something new I'd probably still go with the Scarlett because I'd like to plug my XLR mic in it.

Hm. My case's front audio port has constant static when I plug into it, but the rear one is fine. Is it fucked or does it need cleaning or what? My headphones just arrived today.

The human ear can't see more than 24kbps

Where can I get some gucci 3.5mm cables for my headphones? I don't trust the aliexpress chinks