How long until we start seeing zen APUs? This wait is killing me

How long until we start seeing zen APUs? This wait is killing me.

Ddr4 dual channel 4000mhz is only ~5gb/s slower than the vram of an r7 250x. With dx12, would it be good enough for 1080p gaming at medium settings?

Will zen APUs be good value like the current lineup? A8 7600 quad core with r7 240 igpu is only 110 aud right now.

Will they release a monster APU at 125w with on board HBM? Something like the 460 is 75w, if they could throttle that to 65w, that'll leave 60w for the cpu. Should be doable?

Other urls found in this thread:

prc.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/Publications2014/modeling_design_fabrication_and_characterization_of_first_large_2.5d_glass_interposer.pdf).
tezzaron.com/services/silicon-interposer-design-and-manufacturing/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't hold your breath for Zen. I'm going to wait for them to release before upgrading my 8320 but I'm very skeptical of what Zen will actually deliver.

I'm expecting Ivy bridge ipc with ddr4, which shouldn't trail far behind skylake.

But AMD has been known to exaggerate...

i just want a 6 core - 12 threads, or 8 cores -16 threads at 65w for less than 300 bucks

fuck intel's apus.

Arrg AMD won't stop waffling on about DX12. It wasn't relevant 3 years ago and it's not relevant now.

What new games coming out will be exclusively dx11/opengl/glide?

They will gradually move on to DX12 but its dumb to buy a GPU just for its DX12 optimizations at the moment.

Raven Ridge launches mid 2017.
4 Zen cores and 12 CU, tops out at 95w SKU for desktop.
AMD hasn't mentioned anything about the use of HBM for the upcoming product line so its unlikely they'll feature it.
12CU with dual channel 4000mhz DDR4 is a huge uplift from current APUs, but thats still a severe memory bottleneck. It means that clocks above a certain point are virtually doing nothing but wasting power for the IGP.

At the very least a mid range Raven Ridge APU will slaughter top end Godavari and Bristol Ridge chips, though that isn't really saying much. I'd count on the top binned Raven Ridge carrying a price tag around $200 to $250.

The iris pro will look obsolete next to this.

I'm really keen to see the performance, especially for vulkan and dx12.

It's alright to have idiot beliefs, but don't push them onto others.

I don't get the point. Just buy a real GPU.

>With dx12, would it be good enough for 1080p gaming at medium settings?

no. APUs will use partially disabled variants of polaris 11 which is approx 750ti performance give or take a few % depending on the game. with the disabled CUs and lower clock speeds it will be considerably slower.

>Will zen APUs be good value like the current lineup?

current APUs aren't even good value. if you're that poor then you should be trying to find good second hand deals.

>Will they release a monster APU at 125w with on board HBM?

no. the interposer itself is too costly and large for a consumer grade APU.

Interposers themselves aren't expensive, they're a couple bucks for the piece of glass. The added cost is just from the HBM itself. A single HBM module on package for highest end SKUs wouldn't even be that big of a cost increase, its likely more of a supply volume issue.
Say HP, Dell, Acer, Zotac, and other all want to build machines with these APUs in them. Think AMD can provide 5,000,000 APUs per quarter with HBM? Something tells me no.

>Interposers themselves aren't expensive, they're a couple bucks for the piece of glass.

AMD's interposers are big as fuck (>1000mm2, so it wouldn't even fit in the am4 socket without a new design) and the process of just putting the die and memory on it can render normally functional chips unusable. It's nowhere near viable for any consumer products yet even before you factor in the volume issue.

>wot
AMD doesn't make interposers, and there are no set sizes. AMD does not handling packaging of their chips.

How are you this utterly clueless and still feeling the need to try and participate in this conversation?

>AMD doesn't make interposers, and there are no set sizes.

[citation needed]

>AMD does not handling packaging of their chips.

just because they spun test and assembly off doesn't mean they are getting that work done for free. any extra steps in the process contributes to yields and final price of the product.

>utterly clueless

oh, you're just projecting.

750 ti still handles newer games at medium settings just fine. It'll handle doom on high settings too. If new APUs can provide 750 ti performance then consider me sold

>talk out of your ass
>someone calls you out
>HURRRR CITATION

The interposer is provided by the foundry or by the 3rd party handling final assembly. AMD themselves does not produce them. Suggesting even for a second that the interposer used by Fiji was the only one AMD had access to is hilarious. You're a total tech illiterate retard.

Interposers are a couple bucks each. You can get them in any size you want. Stick to Sup Forums where you belong, kid.

Interposers have to be designed and fabricated like any other semiconductor. Do you think they carry signals from the HBM die to the GPU through magic or something?

>Suggesting even for a second that the interposer used by Fiji was the only one AMD had access to is hilarious.

Where did I say that?

>You're a total tech illiterate retard.

kek, keep projecting kiddo, you're raging hard because your beloved AMD isn't putting out some unicorn product that would create thousands of dollars lost per sale.

Exactly as I just said, tech illiterate Sup Forumsirgin kid, interposers are provided by the foundry, or 3rd party who handles final assembly. AMD doesn't make them themselves.
>AMD's interposers are big as fuck (>1000mm2

Right there implying that for some made up reason they'd only have a glass plane the size used by Fiji.
You're just clueless. Tech illiterate retarded kid, incapable of discussing anything but pissant vidya nonsense.
I'm simply stating facts, and you're talking out of your ass. Stick in Sup Forums where you belong.

>interposers are provided by the foundry, or 3rd party who handles final assembly. AMD doesn't make them themselves.

you are delusional or just trying to troll by arguing semantics, AMD designed everything that GloFo gives back to them.

>Right there implying that for some made up reason they'd only have a glass plane the size used by Fiji.

I didn't imply anything.

>glass plane

HBM interposers aren't some magic glass you just slap chips onto, they need wires to carry data back and from the HBM logic dies to the GPU die.

>You're just clueless. Tech illiterate retarded kid, incapable of discussing anything but pissant vidya nonsense.

The things we dislike most in others are the characteristics we like least in ourselves.

>glass interposers meme

AMD and NVIDIA both use silicon interposers. The only people who have used glass interposers so far were some college kids doing research on it's effectiveness (prc.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/Publications2014/modeling_design_fabrication_and_characterization_of_first_large_2.5d_glass_interposer.pdf). You are clearly misinformed.

>zen release
>ever
haha

Oh look, its the autistic NEET yet again caught talking out of his ass.
In saying that AMD only has access to an interproser 1000mm2 or larger that is exactly what you're implying. There is no other meaning to that laughably ignorant statement.
The foundry or the 3rd party who packages the chips provide the interposer. Surprise surprise: companies who package ICs create interposers. They don't just sandwich bullshit together. They create the glass plane for the customer with the pinout and interconnects required.

Interposers whether they're silicon, glass, or organic are all a glass plane. It is a technical term.

>Interposers whether they're silicon, glass, or organic are all a glass plane. It is a technical term.

No it isn't, you are just damage controlling (and there is a huge difference in the feasibility of a glass interposer vs a si interposer). You are making uninformed claims and then trying to back them up with angry insults and appeals to authority.

>The foundry or the 3rd party who packages the chips provide the interposer.

There are plenty of independent companies that provide interposer design & manufacturing services.

tezzaron.com/services/silicon-interposer-design-and-manufacturing/

>I'm still just guessing at shit
TrenchFETs, GAAs, and double gates are all transistors. Imagine that.
Interposers are all glass planes regardless of whether they're made from an organic, silicon, or glass. They're a fine transparent layer on top of the package substrate, and below the die. The glass plane.

Why are you so compelled to talk out of your ass when you have literally no idea what you're saying? Its the same thing every single time. You show up, talk out of your ass, get proven wrong, then waddle away like the autistic NEET you are.

>TrenchFETs, GAAs, and double gates are all transistors. Imagine that.
>Interposers are all glass planes regardless of whether they're made from an organic, silicon, or glass. They're a fine transparent layer on top of the package substrate, and below the die. The glass plane.

pic related

>Why are you so compelled to talk out of your ass when you have literally no idea what you're saying? Its the same thing every single time. You show up, talk out of your ass, get proven wrong, then waddle away like the autistic NEET you are.

more projection, kek. so far every claim you've made has been debunked thoroughly, cite some sources or go google a bit until you learn something son

Didn't AMD say they didn't want to be the value option anymore?

Oh look, the autsitic NEET is just flat out shitposting because hes backed into a corner.
Being a jobless welfare case gives you all that free time and you still can't manage to better yourself with it, NEET.

Su made a statement saying as much, they didn't want AMD to be regarded as the budget alternative.

What AMD wants and what they can be are two different things. AMD only has a few hundred H1B visa'd engineers and has to outsource to a foundry that is robbing them thanks to the WSA. If they had the funding and freedom then they could definitely break free from being a budget brand.

haven't seen an amdrone this buttblasted in the face of facts in a while

>caught talking out of your ass yet again
>deflect
>shitpost
>very poorly try to feign superiority when cornered and too ignorant to keep up with the conversation

The life of a low functioning autistic NEET really is pathetic.

Does anyone know of any leaks of Carrizo on AM4 / Bristol ridge?

I'm starting to think AMD will announce them together with Summit Ridge in December of this year.

AMD detailed it a very long time ago when they made them available to OEMs. HP has been selling Bristol Ridge systems for a while.

>I don't get the point. Just buy a real GPU.
It is for the ultrapoorfags on Sup Forums who wont

The GPU in an APU isn't real?

Good luck with that one champ. 65W takes low clocks. Gaymers will shit all over zen if it doesn't deliver 4000niggahertz.

Shipped Summit Ridge will do 2.8ghz at 65w with all 8 cores, no IGP though.
Totally not going for $300 either.