Rest In Peace Nexus

Rest In Peace Nexus.
New google phones are all going to be part of the pixel line now.
androidpolice.com/2016/09/01/exclusive-googles-new-phones-will-be-called-the-pixel-and-pixel-xl/
(announcement date of oct 4th)

What does Sup Forums think about this? Personally I think it's just a name change, but I don't think it's a good idea. The nexus line was finally getting some more attention from normies and now google has changed it to pixel, which almost no one has heard of.

I wish it was still nexus but they hurt themselves when they started naming the nexus line based on size. So the sixth iteration of nexus six is what?

They should have went with g phone. It sounds good and it's a simple name that would compete with I phone.

I don't think it's that bad of a change
Honestly, google has the capabilities of producing hardware, but they kept outsourcing nexusses because they started the nexus brand as a partnership, and they rotated every gen.

Now, I'm pretty sure the pixel won't be outsourced, but produced by google themselves, and who understands android/ergonomics better than literally the creators of android and the father of botnets?

pretty much all of the leaks have shown that HTC will be manufacturing the new devices, so we pretty much still know that google will not be producing the devices in house.
That being said, I believe there was a different android police article stating that google will advertise these phones as purely google made, and not give a lot of credit to the manufacturer.

Aw shucks
But I wanted the botnet :(

>Google
>Advertise anything

Google has the literal worst marketing team on the planet. People are more likely to identify their phone as a Samsung than an Android. Nobody knows about Duo, that Android finally has a decent Facetime competitor, and the one place they SHOULD advertise these things, the store, is more concerned that I should try some game called "Best Fiends".

Apple has had a glorious unified SMS/IM program in iMessage since 2011, and Google fucked up with gTalk, they fucked up with Messenger, fucked up with Hangouts, they made Messenger good again then started crippling Hangouts, and now they're going to throw another messaging app in the mix, which STILL doesn't have any sort of desktop notification system, though OSX + iPhone has had it for half a decade. Google can't even tell us what we SHOULD be using for Messaging on their own mobile platform.

Remember the Nexus 6 and 9? They announced these via a blog post. No press event, no conference, nothing. Just a quiet, timid blog post. The commercials looked pretty and then aired for like a week and then never again.

I love Android but Google is a terrible parent.

>worst marketing team on the planet

And the the worst customer service.

They could have just gone back to giving them non-numeric names as well.

Should I not buy a NEXUS 5X then?

I was about to.

same here

Afaik the pixel phones will be more expensive than nexus

All I know about pixel is that retarded expensive keyboard they launched. Nexus prices better not turn in to pixel ones.

I didn't even download duo kek

Google really should look at TV ads fact is they still work and that's why apple still does it.

They're still great devices.
Newer Android versions are running out of new must have features anyway.

I honestly don't see any reason to switch from Nexus 5 to a newer one just for Android 7.

ignoring the 2 hours screen on time, this

Google Pixel rolls off the tongue like cat shit. Nexus sounded better, but if they wanted an easy obvious route to have a name that piques normie interest they could stop being autistic and just call it Google Phone.

Either way the phone itself looks interesting to me and I'm waiting to see if it ends up being any good before I replace my M8. Glad I didn't jump on the Note 7 lol.

>Chance to geht the mighty 7
>namechange mothafukka

I want a pixel Tab specifically 8 inch 4:3 aspec ratio.

I honestly just use and want XMPP.

As long as they keep that bridge, they can do their ridiculous shit for plebs

Still using a Nexus 5 as well

Screen time does hurt though, even with a new battery

>pixel line

I don't see the problem? Perfect name for the Android target market which consists of dumb white women and curry niggers.

Screentime is a problem with pretty much every smartphone.

Actually I've been looking at some of those dual screen eink smartphones.

>Google has the literal worst marketing team on the planet

And yet, literally every internet-connected person uses their shit.

do not buy a Nexus 5X, they are badly made. In mine the compas didn't work correctly, then the camera started randomly not working and causing the phone to restart whenever it happened and finally the fingerprint scanner died. All that not counting a dead pixel on the display. LG's built quality/quality assurance is a joke. When it worked I loved it but most of the time my Nexus 5X was just annoying. All these issues that were happening to me are fairly common, google it if you're interested.

G Phone sounds like a Chinese iPhone clone.

>putting phone in the name of the phone

it's not 2007 anymore that meme is dead unless you make fisher price products like Apple

are they going to have micro sd support now? otherwise they can fuck off

As long as it still comes with an unlocked bootloader, let them re-brand all they like.

I think Google wanted to move away from budget oriented phones also, so by renaming the line they could set a higher price point.
I'm not really a fan of this move since I've always really liked the Nexus prices and quality, but it looks like Google is going with more expensive flagship competitors now.