WINE

Is WINE any good yet?

I'm honestly growing tired of Windows (and what MS has planned for Win 10), but I don't want to leave all MUH GAYMZ behind.

Last time I tried WINE, it was sporadic at best in terms of quality.

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Isolating_the_GPU
arseniyshestakov.com/2016/03/31/how-to-pass-gpu-to-vm-and-back-without-x-restart/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some games yes, some games no.

appdb.winehq.org/

PCI Passthrough is your only good choice!

i want to do this for solidworks, but don't have a second gpu, only spare slot is 1x

is it at all possible to use one gpu? knowing only one can use it at a time
i have no problem controlling the machine via ssh on my phone while switching around

Yes, it's called dual booting.

You don't need a second GPU, since GPU is a non-essential piece of hardware. Your windows will use the GPU and be perfectly fine, but Linux won't so anything related to graphics will be slower on it until you disable passthrough.

>slower
It would just crash since there is no display to output that shit.

do you have a source for this? i haven't found anything relating to a single gpu setup

Use iGPU

You use wine for what ?.
I'm working on IT, and we use wine, to migrate a lot of process to linux.
Work pretty well for us.
Not talking about small processes.
We generate OLAP Cubes for Cognos BI.

For us wine is very mature.

>use your second gpu
i have one gpu

Then you are fucked

people still do this?

I use Wine with PlayOnLinux, works pretty well. Most games might need up to 15 minutes of tinkering for me. I also don't generally even check whether something works beforehand, I just buy it on Steam and try it out, only had one game not work so far.

It's also good as a second option for when there's a Linux version. I can't remember what game it was, but it wasn't playing nice with dual monitors, so I changed some settings in the Windows version to have it play in like a VM, can't remember what it's called exactly, and that worked seamlessly.

AYO QUIT CRYIN BITCH NIGGA

This unless you have a -K Intel processor
Virtualisation doesn't work on those

Virtualization works fine if you have devil canyon or after on k parts.

>implying I own a discrete GPU
Fuck you take that back I'm not a memetard.

Depends. 2 (Sandy), 3 (Ivy) and 4th gen (Haswell) -K processors do not have VT-d. Devil's Canyon (4790K for example), Skylake and a few other -K parts do have it. Older generation K parts also have it.

Wine is shit purely because it's trying to integrate windows shit into your OS. Just run a virtual machine, get a second graphics card and hard drive and use PCI passthrough.

Fuck. I had such high hopes too. 2500k master race biting me in my ass

>tfw mobo doesnt support IOMMU

Yeah, this was unfortunately not very popular or well known back when the 2500K was released. I'm sitting with the same problem with my 3570K. Might actually buy a second hand 3770 just for this. A friend of mine is using it and it works absolutely wonderful for him.

I guess Intel has actually given a reason to upgrade to Skylake beyond carefully selected performance numbers and less wattage.

Or just install windows. It's cheaper.

My CPU has no onboard graphics but I have 1070's in 2x SLI. Can I disable SLI on the second card via software before the VM launches so it has access to the (now idle) card, then reenable SLI once the VM is closed? I'd like to use PCI passthrough, but I'm not sure if I can.

Is it possible to do something like this:
stage1:
iGPU ----> Display1 (host)
eGPU ----> Display2 (host)

stage2:
iGPU ----> Display1 (host)
eGPU ----> Display2 (vm)

Also, what if I use 3 displays and I want to pass the middle one? What about screen borders and stuff?
Technically it would look like this
|Display1(host)|Display2(vm)|Display3(host)
Won't host OS go full retard in a configuration like that?

By first question I meant tu use both iGPU and eGPU at host OS, then disable one and pass it trough

>sli
>on lincucks
kek

linux reserves eGPU to VM on boot, so no, it's not possible.

A lot of stuff works in WINE but just because it works doesn't mean it works well. If you want a guarantee that your software will work well you'll have to use a VM or dual boot

Damn, I thought so but wanted to get sure.
Any ideas how about 3 displays and passing middle one ?

Just install windows you fucking idiots. Get off your I was to be free bullshit. It's not worth the trade offs.

You can use PCI Passthrough, however one of the cards will be unavailable throughout the entire endeavor. Basically you blacklist one of them so that one of them isn't used at boot, so you can't just re-activate it after turning the VM off unless you remove the blacklist and reboot again.

It would be easy to make a bash script that comments out the blacklist and re-enable it and reboot. But that does mean a reboot is necessary.

Sort of. In your case: Display 1 will be connected directly to the iGPU without any other connections, while Display 2 will be connected into the iGPU and the discrete GPU at the same time. To switch back and forth on Display 2 you just press the input button on the monitor and switch to it.

If you mean using the discrete GPU inside Linux without rebooting, that's not possible. It needs to boot with the discrete GPU disabled to be able to be passed through. To re-enable it you need to reboot. However yes, you can have Display 2 hooked into the iGPU and the discrete one at the same time so you don't need to fiddle with the hardware or connections behind your computer.

What about getting the GPU driver as a module and literally unloading/reloading it?
Or is reservation of VM done in-kernel?

That could potentially work. I don't have the technicalites, however you need to prevent the NVIDIA drivers from hooking the GPU at boot which is why they are blacklisted from the kernel at boot. If you can unload the drivers somehow, maybe it'll work.

this

Why? I dislike the system for many reasons not just because of "free bullshit".

So you're saying if I remove nvidia from module autoload and move it to something like my startx script, I could work on getting this to work? I could have nvidia's kernel modules loaded in .xinitrc and use env variables to determine whether the card gets blacklisted, then all I need to turn SLI back on is closing X and changing an environment variable? Sure as hell beats rebooting.

I can't say for sure, you can try and see if it works.

According to wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Isolating_the_GPU most GPU drivers hate rebinding and rebinding them will "have consequences" (whatever that might be). So my guess is no, but if you can get that working it would be extremely nice.

arseniyshestakov.com/2016/03/31/how-to-pass-gpu-to-vm-and-back-without-x-restart/

Someone got it working dynamically here. Though that was through the free drivers.

Audio production no. Thank pulse audio for all your troubles

@56389134
Do not give this man a single (You) he craves so much by replying to every single person in the thread.

There are more trade-offs with using Windows though.

JEW-EL BOOT

Appreciate it family. Will bookmark this for when the build is done.

YES u can !!! I use a igp and gpu but some time I realy need use my gpu under linux so yes u can bind again ur gpu to nux ....
I m using optimus/bumblebee for

shity script

#! /bin/sh
echo "0000:01:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind
echo "0000:01:00.1" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind
modprobe nvidia-modeset
/etc/init.d/bumblebee start

I wonder if I could get this working with a nvidia card and AMD card in a similar manner.

Obviously in Linux you can't put one desktop on a nvidia card and then the other on the AMD, but I had an idea.

I could get a VGA switch, start the VM on my main machine with VGA passthrough, and flip the switch. Then I could just exit out, flip the switch again, and go back to business.

Anybody else ever done something like this?

>Obviously in Linux you can't put one desktop on a nvidia card and then the other on the AMD
You can use one for passthrough and one for Linux, even if they are different brands. So yes, using an AMD and NVIDIA card for this will work perfectly fine.

You do not need a KVM switch, although you could use one if you want to. You can connect both cards into the same monitor and switch them using the input button on your monitor and use Synergy to make the mouse work seamlessly between the two operating systems.

You can also use Steam in-home streaming if you want to just start the VM, and have Steam take care of the gaming window using the streaming capabilities. Just some ideas thrown out there.

Well actually, my problem is I'm running a dual monitor setup. My main monitor has multiple ports, but my second monitor doesn't. What I was referring to was using a dual monitor setup split between two cards. I've gotten close, but it's really just not possible to get working properly it seems.

I'm just curious as to how xorg will handle it once you start the passthrough. Is it smart enough to fall back on the AMD card for the second monitor while the nvidia is being passed through?

Honestly, it seems easier for me to just pick up an old nvidia card for like 40 bucks. GTX 260 can be had for that.

>being this much of a dense faggot

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

If the second monitor only has one port, a KVM switch could probably solve all the problems. They're very cheap, though don't expect to find one that drives a 4K display or 144Hz.

>Is it smart enough to fall back on the AMD card for the second monitor while the nvidia is being passed through?
I'm not sure I understood the predicament here. You are trying to use the NVIDIA card in Linux, then pass it through and fall back on the AMD card and vice versa? If so, that's probably not possible at all, and if it is, it would probably hard as fuck.

If you mean having the NVIDIA card reserved for passing through while Linux is only using the AMD card, it should be fine. In that case it will not understand that it should change output immidiately on the display that has one port. You probably need to use the KVM switch's button to switch between the VM and host in that case.

Not an argument.

FUUUUUCCKKK
2500k MASTER RACE MY ASS

Whooo. Too my hate.

I'm not using wine for moral issues. Ror some reason Cognos Transformer process the datasource more faster.

wine is shit. good thing i only play csgo which works even better on linux

If you really want to make people try gpu passthrough you should change the "you need a second gpu" part to make it more clear thst you don't need a two dedicated/external GPUs.

That, of course, if you're not just shitposting.

There's already a wiki entry on it: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough

What?

>do you have a source for this? i haven't found anything relating to a single gpu setup
Dont be a fag and use ESXi instead

>inb4 it doesnt work with Nvidia cards
it does, pic related

forgot my pic

somehow better than back in 2010 but still shit like all regarding loonix. in this day and age one cannot find a fucking dock that actually works in loonix. not to mention nice font rendering and crappy """""smooth""""" scrolling in fuckfox.

loonix is hobby os for neckbeards

You know, the latter might actually be possible. I would just have to switch the AMD card into my primary slot. Yeah, I was talking about the former, and that's just because I'm lazy and didn't want to try switching my GTX 770 into a lower port for this low profile AMD 7750 I have from a long time ago. Should be good for running a dual monitor setup.

I might try it when I go home, cheers user.

This. GPUs are the only interface between your computer and your screen. This has been the case for decades.

Good luck. The setup with the 770 being reserved for the VM and only used by the VM, while the 7750 is being used by Linux should be completely fine. Running a dual monitor setup with it should be great actually.

I know it's possible to do plug-and-play remap of hardware devices. QubesOS is already capable of that, for example.

>what is integrated graphics

>backpedaling this hard

You didn't read what he responded to, did you? The point was passing the iGPU into it and using ssh to start the VM.

>GPU is a non essential piece of hardware

- A linux user 2016

>being this retarded
-windows user, 2016

I run solidworks pro in a vm. It works fairly well, naturally not as well as on native, but its usable. We have three cad designers in our office and only two solidworks licences so we ended up installing those on vms and now you can use those on every machine in our lan.

so all i have to do is install windows to make my linux machine fully functional

hooray

Are you a fucking retard? PC doesnt need a gpu. Most of my rackmounted servers are connected to serial port server.

kek

this.