Are Sony smartphones any good or bad?

Are Sony smartphones any good or bad?

I havent bought a smartphone since Galaxy S3 and it died today so I am looking to buy a new phone and the Xperia XZ Compact caught my eye. It looks a bit similar yet chunky and good to hold kind of thing.

I really have no idea what I'm doing though, is there a buyers guide to smartphones in 2016 somewhere?

Other urls found in this thread:

witrigs.com/oem-back-cover-for-sony-xperia-z3-compact-green
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3-6539.php
amazon.com/Sony-Z3-LTE-D6603-20-7MP/dp/B00ONSC5X0/
extremetech.com/electronics/219729-sony-plans-to-boost-battery-performance-40-percent-by-2020
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have a 2 yr old Z3C, works well but starting to get the Androidâ„¢ lag.
But still does everything I need but I'm looking at getting a Xperia X Performance or XZ early nect year.

Got a Z3.
LCD is fantastic.
Speakers are weak, mic gain is weak.
DAC is great.
Camera is OK.
Front facing camera is ass.
Performance is good.
Looks sexy.

Well that sounds okay I guess, I like the compacts form factor and that it will be relatively cheaper. I guess I'll just do some research, nothing I've seen looks like the compact though, the design is something I really want. Thanks

other than being overpriced, would a xperia z5 compact be a good purchase?
i'm seriously getting sick of my lumia 830

Overpriced

Good but overpriced as fuck, there are always better options at the same or lower prices

It's not the XZ compact, just the Z compact.

What are you looking for? If you just want a phone that werks there's Oneplus and Xiaomi

Crashing screen, unusable

Pretty much, I mean I think oneplus phones are good because I watched a few reviews on them but I dont like the thin and long/flat physical feel of those type of phones. If they had some with the design of this compact phone I would be really interested in that.

can you still play ps4 on this thing?

Its called the X compact

>paying premium prices for SD650

don't play yourself, man.

Try it in the store before buying
For me it was uncomfortable as fuck to hold

Is it still good now? I was looking at either the Z3 or Z3+ since the nexus 5x seems to have a garbage battery

>720p screen
>Snapdragon 650
>6 fucking 50
Fucking Sony. I was so hyped for this shit.
It's trash.

720p screen at that size gives the same PPI as an iphone, though

also isn;t the 801 incompatible with 7.0

Do not get a Z5.

After a couple of months the battery life turns to absolute shit.

You can get an OP3 for the same money with twice as much storage

Dont get anything sony
there is absolutely no root

OP3 isn't compact

>he doesn't have a Redmi Note 3 Pro

>Snapdragon 650
What the fuck? The Z3C has a 801, and it's cheaper than that.

>Snapdragon 650
Kinda strange that Z5C that is same price and still in production costs exactly the same and has better hardware than XC

The 650 is just the 808 respun isn't it? Maybe a different gpu.

I like the XZ but the X Compact is terrible comparing to the Z5 Compact.

Just a Z here.

Best phone ive had. Water proofness has saved it twice from total submersion too. Sounds good, powerful enough. Was exceptionally cheap too (free on 15/m contract or 200 outright)

Get the Galaxy Note 7. They're exploding all over the market right now.

weak

Owned Z1C and currently using Z5C. Absolutely love these phones. They're the flagship of small/compact phones. Wouldn't rather use any other. I just wish they had better optimized software for the camera.

I heard there is a fire sale for them right now.

I have a Z3 and the bootloader is locked :^(

that's 6th sony flagship since 2014 when they released xperia z2, and they still put 1080p screen, 3GB RAM, waterproof ability, sd card, dual speaker on front, and ~3k mAh battery. That's literally the same smartphone that was already sold 5 times, and now is redesigned to be sold once again. wtf sony?
I've been using xperia z5 compact for couple of months. it's shit. it lags (like most android phones), it gets hot while charging with normal charger (yes, it has fast charging but fucking sony doesn't give you proper charger, you have to buy it by yourself), it's slippery and fingerprint sensor almost never works. i have to literally wash my hands with soap, dry it as much as i can, and then meybe it will work (no such need an my current ip6s). but the worst of all, sony is shitlord when it comes to deliver android update. they put ota update do android marshmallow 6 months after i updated my previous moto nexus 6. another month i waited for carrier to bring it to my phone. it's fucking disaster.

Cool story Pajeet.

rofl

Its true tho, sony has become overpriced shit. But people will still buy the x compact, theres no competition

>Using a phablet

No. Snapshit 810 in there, 2gb of ram(same as my S3).

>What is expandable storage

user please help since I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. How sturdy is the glass on the Z/Z3

I'm scared I'll buy it and it'll shatter within a week

It'll only shatter if you are retarded and drop your phone.

I got a TPU case for my z3c, I've dropped a few times, and hasn't shattered yet.

Fuck I might be retarded. I've probably dropped my phone 20 times over the past 3 years

Not hard, just on like carpet or something

I was looking at the regular Z3 since I like the specs and the price new.

Have you had the glass separate from the phone? That's another issue I read about

Bit iffy about the international version though since I can't get a manufacturers warranty since I live in the us. Why the fuck is the t-mobile version not updated

I've had mine for about two years, and no issue with glass separating either.

What the fuck are people doing to these phones then

It's called not being wreckless?

Get a case and a screen protector.
Don't put it in your back pocket like a girl.
Don't throw it around.

It's a piece of electronic, not a tennis ball.

Recommended screen protector? Tempered glass?

I've had my z3c for 1.5 years. no screen protector/case. dropped it a bunch, accidentally thrown it across the room a couple times never had the glass break. the rubber bumper is all scuffed but thats all.

I have had the back glass break but not because of dropping it. company sent me out to a job site and I guess I leaned against a railing or something with it in my pocket which spidered the back. $13 to replace it myself though so I'm not that upset about it.
Have a tempered glass protector on both sides now so it should help?

>$13 to replace it myself though
How hard was that to do though?

hair drier, suction cup and a guitar pick.
because the glass was already smashed you don't have to worry about breaking it so you heat it up to soften the glue then pull with the suction cup and kind of cut/pry the glass out.
5 minute job and it's good as new. Though I'm told you lose the waterproofing afterwards. Haven't had the guts to test it.

How do you adhere the new glass though? Does it come with new adhesive? And where do you buy the backs?

i bought my back from witrigs.com/oem-back-cover-for-sony-xperia-z3-compact-green
adhesive is included.
It seems they have gone out of stock right now.

Been using it for a year, completely agreed

The rear of mine cracked when it was resting on a cool table after the gps heated it up good and hot.

Great form factor, very interesting capacitive screen pattern, terrible phone.

I had nothing but issues with mine, and it began cracking in other spots on the back as well.

But I'm just one guy. I think the waterproof part was cool

Z3C here, had it for a year and a half. Not planning to change phone for at least another year. Phone looks and works great Marshmallow update fucked up stamina mode which was the shit if you had to use your phone for more than 3 days and couldn't charge it. Latest M update got stamina mode back but I haven't tested it yet.
Never getting a phone that isn't water resistant or with a battery that goes for day and half or two with regular use.

Well it's either this or the Redmeme. At least I know the Z3 d6603 will work on t-mobile LTE, where as the RN3P is only 4g/HSPDA+

I don't know, it might be worth the hassle of having to replace the back once in two years if everything else about the phone is okay. How is the marshmallow update?
They fixed stamina mode?

I went back to iOS shortly after getting the oneplus one (amazing phone, but the upgrade to Oxygen OS fucked the battery) and sold it to a mate. I know, I'm a cuck, faggot and the rest.

Before I got rid of it though I remember primarily being constantly disappointed by the screen quality and it was beginning to lag. This was like 18 months ago, and like the bloke above me somewhere mentioned, it doesn't seem to be able to accept the latest android updates.

But I'm not you, and don't know what your looking for in a phone. If I could have any android, I'd probably pick up something from oneplus again, since they impressed me so much with the one. That or a not 7. I'm not a fan of the enormous size, but I had a note 2 for a while and I was always using that pen for shit. Sorry I'm rambling. It's early.

something that doesn't get mentioned is that sony batteries last tonnes of recharge cycles, I live in a hot environment and burn through batteries like butter but my mid range experias have both held up extremely well

As far as I know Z3/c officially got 6.0, maybe this was after you sold it. Plus it has a large ROM community

This is why I buy these phones, almost every other brand has the same hardware for the same price but it doesn't last/

If you bought a case this wouldn't have happened faggot, mine has never had this problem and I've owned it for close to a year.

Z1, Z3 and Z5 Premium here
All are mint, still using Z1 as main until it dies (if it ever dies, it's a fucking tank) but I have the other 2 already set up and ready should one ever die

Remember to use tempered glass screen protectors
Questions welcome

Z5c owner here, it's easily the best phone I've ever used however I never tried the Z3c.
Given the price difference, it might be worth checking that one out over the $550 price tag of a Z5......
Unless you're rich.

Does international d6603 model of Z3 work in US? It looks like it should since it has bands 2 and 4

gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3-6539.php

D6603 compatible with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile, but are not compatible with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint

Absolutely. And spent the extra $20-$30 on something real, the $9 tempered glass from China will just shatter on you.
Speaking from experience.

A good case will go a long way. Personally I'm using the LoveMei "steel" case with my own glass (Chinese shitty glass was shit, just punched it out) but I can understand if that's too big for the average user.

I had that issue until I learned that charging lithium batteries with differing amperage to what it's designed for will royally fuck up its lifespan.
Watch the amperage user.

assuming 1 amp is safe for z5?
i always charge over pc usb anyways to make it as slow as possible and easy on the battery so that the lifespan never decreases

>LoveMei "steel" case
oh god this thing looks fucking ridiculous
And the reviews say it doesn't even work that well

Yeah I'm on T-Mobile user

Just got root access on my Xperia m5. Very good phone. 3GB RAM 2ghz processor 1080p @ a 5' screen. Both cameras are amazing quality for a smartphone camera (at least for a guy who doesn't know shit about photography). The only downside is the 2600 mah battery but if you're not a NEET that sits on his phone all day then that's not a problem. Basically if you aren't retarded enough to gayme then this phone is more than enough . Got it for around 300$ used. Screen protector is a pro tip.
>Homescreen screenshot for attention.

>tumblr

T-Mobile? By all means then go ahead

amazon.com/Sony-Z3-LTE-D6603-20-7MP/dp/B00ONSC5X0/
>Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile as well as with GSM SIM cards (e.g. H20, Straight Talk, and select prepaid carriers).

This page says as well it should work on T-Mobile

Only blogs I follow are art blogs. And most of them are made by Sup Forums posters.

>21mp back camera
>13mp front camera
neat

It's very handy in social situations when you want to dick around, drink beer and talk about recent stuff.

I have the Xperia Z1C. I have nothing to complain about, I pretty much just use it for browsing the Internet while in shower and calling people. No apps, games or anything like that.

Only thing about it that I don't like is that the back is made of polished plastic, it scratches really easily. I hear that Z3 and Z5 have a glass (or was it metal?) back, I wouldn't mind one of those as a replacement.
The new X compact seems kinda shit, though. It does not appear to be waterproof so that's automatically a turd in my book.

Neato. Will definitely consider getting it.

GSM wins again

You shoulda plopped a screen protector on the back to guard the finish/polishing
It's not too late yet either it might still cover up blemishes and they cost nothing on ebay

I don't really care about it, the back just looks fucking disgusting. So I don't think that's the proper material to use there. A very stupid choice in my opinion. I'd prefer something like magnesium or glass.

Well I like my Z5p
Not like I have any other flagship phone from the same time to compare it to anyways

any chemistry fags know if this sounds feasible?

extremetech.com/electronics/219729-sony-plans-to-boost-battery-performance-40-percent-by-2020

Xperia Z3 user here, dropped it like 10 times from various heighs. Once I dropped it while climbing a ladder, the top right cover near the 3.5mm jack was bent. Once I dropped it while walking and the thing slided a few meters. Now half of the back cover is coming loose. It's still working great.
10/10 phone, thank you based Sony. Would buy again.

Z1. Two years. Been through hell. The back is immaculate. Android 4.4.4 works flawlessly, no lag.

Sony telephones are good. I don't like the new X series, Z3 and Z5 however are the best looking right now.

>implying sony will be around in 2020

I would say that battery performance is more than 40% better now than it was in 2012, so it's probably feasible.

>battery performance is more than 40% better now than it was in 2012
No it isn't

This week I switched from my very first smartphone, an iPhone 5S, to an Xperia Z5 Premium.

Sony phones are overpriced, but I'm loving the experience so far. Much nicer screen, more customizable everything, waterproofing, front facing speakers.

I wish Sony would unfuck itself, if they didn't price themselves as a premium brand with no premium features they might be doing OK.

>Facebook
>>>/kys/

I have it. It was absolute shit until the 6.0 update. Now it's beautiful

... Why would a NEET stay at home and sit in his phone? If you are at home wouldn't you use a computer?

I have Z5C right now. Works super smoothly, is pretty sturdy and waterproof, battery lasts entire day no matter what i do (i could probably charge it every two days) - generally, it's reliable.

Camera is shit though. Fitting 24mpx in such a small sensor was stupid idea and now photos are full of extreme noise reduction.

Posting from a Z5C right now. Had it for almost a year without any dramas, always kept tempered glass on the front and back. Dropped it a few times without damage to the phone (replaced screen protector afterwards).

Waterproof is nice. My last Samsung phone died after I rode home through rain, no issues like that anymore. Camera is decent, performance is ok and size factor is good for me. Battery lasts a whole day easily. Small keyboard is annoying sometimes.

It does heat up when charging or intensive apps like pokemon go, but not unbearable. Not for everyone but I'd buy again.

Yeah it does look ridiculous. But it functions exactly how I wanted it too, it's a big fuck-off steel case with an elevation off the screen (so it doesn't touch the ground when face down) and massive rubber edges.

I'm a geo though, so I'm constantly out in the field smashing rocks and falling off things..... I'm not the average user.

Z2 reporting in. They're fucking great.

>people will still buy the x compact
>theres no competition

Why do you have three versions? Are you a Sony fanboy?

Z5 owner here, it's been through the wash and still works perfectly. Being able to take underwater 4k video is fucking amazing.

My G2 from 2013 has better battery life than average current 2016 phone and charges at 2amp.

You taking videos of girls asses In the swimming pool or something?