This is something i've been working on during last two years, hope you like it Sup Forums fellas

This is something i've been working on during last two years, hope you like it Sup Forums fellas

youtu.be/h-QILXYJF7s

Other urls found in this thread:

hackaday.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>Sup Forums

This is not about music. It is a custom PCB system with an ARM cortex M4, NodeMcu WiFi, IMU sensor, MIC/Line input MIDI support and 210 SMD RGB Leds

how come every discovery helmet replica uses the RAM helmet mold?

>beat detection
As in you can sync a midi clock, right?
Is that what the midi is for?

For sculpting the model i created a 3D that combines the best characteristics of the Discovery/RAM era helmets. It´s not just a replica, its a redesigned and improved version of a Daft Punk helmet

No, its not a midi clock sync. It´s a custom Audio library for Teensy3.2 that uses a custom algorythm for detectin the BPM of the music being played and syncs the LED animations to fit that BPM/pattern

>It´s a custom Audio library for Teensy3.2 that uses a custom algorythm for detectin the BPM of the music being played and syncs the LED animations to fit that BPM/pattern
It sounds like you're reinventing the wheel with that decision but I guess it was intended to work with just an audio source rather than a DAW or DJing program.

Yes. The helmet doesn´t need any Daw or Djing BPM info, it just detects in real time any music in the Mic/Line input. This way is more like a "light instrument" with a natural feeling than a simple midi sync device. English is not my native language, but i try to do my best with the explanations.

Nice work senpai

Thanks! Really apreciate the feedback, im having troubles to find people that really apreciates the effort and work behind the result. It's been a total odyssey to finish the project with the quality desired in the model and in the hardware

Could you please post more footage of the helmet in action?
Maybe with different music genres with faster/slower tempos than the usual 120-ish bpm of house music?

Daft Punk sucks.

I think the video is too dark for most parts. Couldn't see anything until 1:20, you'll probably lose viewers by then.

I'm actually making a demo video of the beat detection algorythm. It will show a real time graphic of how the beat detection works and i will include different tempo examples of the helmet reaction and sync. The video will be uploaded around the next week, if you are really interested, i will suggest you to suscribe the youtube account. It will be uploaded within a week

Looks fucking sick mate

Why not make an original helmet?

I don't have an account but I'll make a mental note.
It's iconic and it looks like they're using it to promote their business.
It's technically a shill thread but its interesting and I have no intention of buying/commissioning anything in the first place.

Can you wear it and still see or is it for display only?

As a maker, i like going further than replicas. In my opinion, the original Discovery helmet had some characteristic and curve lines that could be improved for a more clean and stylish/aerodynamic design. As i said, its a redesigned Daft Punk helmet

Can you give me a brief overview of how the algorithm works? detecting peaks within a certain frequency range, focusing on that peaking frequency and then flashing lights according to the amplitude?

Its wereable, an really confortable. It has internal fans for a cool breathing and the visor is shaded like a pair of sunglasses. Around 80% of vision

Cool, that's pretty sick!

That's dope as fuck. I'd love to film an edit in this at the skatepark. I bet I could still backflip in it, and do like, at least 60% of my tricks.

I imagine rotations like 540s would be sketchy because limited peripheral view, but still, fuck it.

That's a pretty kickass helmet man. Couple of questions:

How snuggly does it fit? I know I've had problems in the past (because of glasses and my massive fucking cranium).

How's visibility? Do the LED lights shine in yo face?

How'd you do the perfect curve of the visor? That's always eluded me.

It has two main modes. The first one, modifies a MIDI file stored in the SD that contains a pre-recorded LED animation (custom MIDI library) and modifies the velocities and timming based on the BPM conclusions of the audio algorythm. The second mode, generates a real time LED animation modifiing the colors, brightness, saturation and timming depending on the frequencies/peaks conclusions of the algorythm. It's hard to explain, but you can go deep into the explanation in the hardware/software section of the blog in love-props(dot)com

Believe me, i have a massive cranium too, and it still has some extra space for a bigger one. The scale and inner free space is more than enough for fitting it in the head with the glasses on.

The LEDs does not shine in your face. The face of the user is not visible from the outside when the lights are on. the visibility is around the 80%, like a shaded visor of a motorbike helmet.

The Curve of the visor its been done with a process known as thermoforming, you can read more about it in the "forming the visor" section of the blog at love-props com It was a total odyssey to obtain the final result

What software are you using to 3D design these?

What are the next projects?

Is it possible to buy these helmets in the future, maybe mass-produced?

>bail
>break one of a kind item

The model is actually designed with the IDEAS software, an old-school engenieriing 3D software.

The next project is still being decided, few commisioners contacted with different proposals.I gotta go, tomorrow i will be answering more questions if the thread is still alive. If not, you guys can contact via the youtube account or using the contact form at love-props com

no mass production. It is a hand made helmet, and thats all it will be. I dont like mass produced things. Its all about love

Shame that we can't get the helmet, it's pretty nice in my opinion.

why is cia guy taking the picture of the helmet?

>don't bail
>get the most epic one-of-a-kind shot ever

I've done tougher things for way less.

Back to readit

Yeah I was asking how it selects which frequencies are the most important ones, the algorithm itself. I'll check the blog out though, cheers.

another member of the team:

We had tested, and we will continue testing, various approaches for tempo / beat detection.

Currently we use a variant of the classic Beatroot algorithm, which is a “darwinian selection of tempo hypothesis” type algorithm.

Beatroot ia an algorithm based in musical feature recognition that calculates tempos based on “note onsets”. The version that we use is much cruder and their timming is based on “bursts of energy”

It works well for beat determination in dance music, though this approach can’t analyze the tempo of, say, a score of Mozart.

We tested various configurations of banks of Goertzel filters (4 to 12) or even a 32 bin FFT but for dance music there is no improvement in beat detection reliability and this approach is very expensive in CPU cycles. (We use a Teensy32 processor, that has a 32 bit DSP instruction set but no floating point hardware)

cheers

Thanks mate. Much appreciated and very interesting

Really cool project. I think it's impressive and can tell you spent a great deal of time and money on making it. Which brings up one point... It's a shame you had to shoot the pics and video on your bed sheet outdoors. Couldn't be bothered with studio lights and a proper backdrop?

Are you aiming for someone besides Daft Punk to buy these? Because if they're hand made, your market is rich kids and wannabe artists, which I'm not sure would be able to profit off of wearing something like this due to copyright.
If it were really made for Daft Punk, I would think it would be quicker/cheaper to just use the API for whatever musician program they use and stick a raspberry pi in the thing, instead of making custom everything.

On second thought, I guess simplicity would be paramount for a group that probably switches toolsets as often as Daft Punk would. It's not like they're strapped for cash or time.

kek

Fucking incredible.
I've always wanted to make one of those but my skills are simply not up to par with my standards.

looks really cool OP. i want one!

very nice

OP, please submit this to hackaday.com

Sup Forumsis filled with 12 year olds.

then why are you here?

that's beautiful. don't listen to these fags pretty cool, too bad daft punk is normie music now

holy shit that's fucking nice

Okay, at this point, this is outright shilling.

U should actually post this to reddit/r/videos or reddit/r/music it would get u a ton of publicity

this. OP you would at least get in the tens of thousands for views, your video is top notch quality. do it or one of us will do it for you. you deserve recognition even if its from plebbit normies
>also nice dubs

I've seen a couple of projects like this and they all seem to use a custom pcb controllers, could i make something similar with an embedded board?

Also the firmware that you guys made for this thing looks pretty interesting, did you consider releasing it to the public?

But is it comfortable?

>>>/reddit/