Is it theoretically feasible to make a battery powered wifi repeater that lasts for a year buried in the ground??

Is it theoretically feasible to make a battery powered wifi repeater that lasts for a year buried in the ground??

Other urls found in this thread:

warrenellis.com/?p=6901
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes but you need a bigass battery

just get fiber optical cables faget

How long would a car battery last?

say im downloading 300gig/month

You might want to consider PoE, you ignorant asshole.

What is PoE?

What your describing is not just a crime but a fucking felony.

Why not just get an unlimited high speed data plan from boost?

It's theory. I'm just studying something.

How much is a boost plan will it work n my verzion phone?

$55 a month, it includes legit unlimited high speed data. No it won't work with your shitty verizon phone.

Just get a warp elite from amazon for like $70. It has decent specs and supports lte + spark lte.

Power over Ethernet.

Sprint data sucks though.

GNOME dev here. Can't say I agree with "beats all other GUI efforts in all of computing" - I still think webOS beats us in usability, and if it weren't for how far it fell, I wouldn't mind doing a mobile version of the DE :-D I'm glad people like GNOME, though - it may seem organized on the outside, but internally it plays out more like a fan project or something.

More to the point, however, I feel there's a bit of truth to this post. There's no real reason to use Linux other than "you like it" - sure, there are good aspects to it, but when it comes to OSes, there's no reason to use one over the other. We promote FOSS development because we believe in the philosophies behind it; however, imo it shouldn't be a dealbreaker when talking about software. I got to meet RMS a few years back, and while I appreciate his enthusiasm, I don't agree with him on this point.

HOWEVER, if there is a reason to use Linux, it's the headerbar concept. If you're not familiar with this, its a combined titlebar and menubar that GNOME uses on most of its core apps. It saves space for the actual content of the app to use and forces devs to focus on the core important pieces of their application when designing an interface. It's been copied in so many other OSes, but I feel only Linux users get the true, primal headerbar experience.

There's a user on DeviantArt I follow who does nothing but headerbar concept art, and I can say with certainty it truly shows the power of this amazing technology and its impact on society as a whole. We can do a lot with headerbars, and if we use them correctly, they can do a lot for us. too.

Why, my disabled wife wouldn't be able to use the computer to post her fanart if it wasn't for the simplified design of the GNOME Web browser, Epiphany. She's always found Chrome and Firefox's interfaces to be too unyieldy to use as a onehanded woman.

I hope I've done some good here, and please try GNOME!

Ethernet isn't wireless you nignog
How much s boost paying you?
Agreed GNOME is pretty good.

I'm not the one that suggested PoE but it would likely depending on your situation be for the best. If you're jacking onto a free business or residential line depending on your locale you can just bury a shallow cable. You can use a rod or tool to do this like a spade. I'd likely go with a commercial fire rated cable that has a better plenum. Depending on distance a PoE setup would be easy. Places like Florida or tropics/swampy no one will know.

It used to. WiMax was a fucking train wreck, probably tye biggest fuck up of Sprint ever.

However they abandoned WiMax a while ago and now use LTE bands 25, 26, and 41. You can even manually select them with the MSL code they provide you when you set up a phone.

While they are not verizon fast they still have okay speeds. You can expect 4-8 Mbps where there is only LTE coverage or 20+ Mbps where there is spark LTE coverage.

I pull 40-75Mbit up and down all day everyday on TMO. Latency is good usually 20-25ms.

>How much s boost paying you?
Nothing in fact I don't think they want OP, a huge fucking weeb that torrents hundreds of chinese cartoons he will never watch every day, as a customer.

I just happened to be with boost and wanted to offer OP another way to get internetz without being thrown in federal prison.

Who is downloading chinese cartoons on mobile? Jesus living that life must be horrible.

>I pull 40-75Mbit up and down all day everyday on TMO. Latency is good usually 20-25ms.
How many GB of high speed data? It hasn't even been 2 weeks since I paid my phone bill and I'm already about to hit 30GB of used high speed data.

>torrent shit on your android phone
>move it to your computer when done
wow

FUCK BOOST MOBILE

tmo is worthless outside of cities and suburbs though
if you know you'll be in an urban area, it's good, but you're fucked if you leave it

if verizon wasn't so expensive then i'd shill them, but their costs are ghastly, feel kinda bad for the people who can only get verizon signals where they live

k well enjoy getting cucked by every other carrier I guess

shill

Those batteries are going to be very expensive.

45 seconds

>he doesnt encase his cables in cement and booby traps

Nobody is paying me though. I think boost offers the best deal in the states if you have sprint coverage. Am I wrong?

You can probably find repeaters that use 2 Watts on average, so you need a battery capacity of 2 Watt Years, or 8760 Wh.

Car batteries have about 40 Ah @ 12V ~~ 480 Wh.

You'll need about 18 car batteries.

>What your describing is not just a crime but a fucking felony.
???
Why is it a felony to bury a WiFi repeater with a battery?

>How long would a car battery last?
continuing on
1 car battery would last for about 10 days. Maybe 20 days. Definitely not more.

Are you sure that math is right? If only 2W are used per hour on average then doesn't that mean he will use 35.04 kWh?

He will need about 73 car batteries right?

You're right. I made a mistake.

1 year = 8760 hour
1a = 8760h

2 Wa = 17520 Wh

He will need 36.5 car batteries. (not considering loss and inefficiencies)

I don't use my phone for large transfers just consumption. I pull around 5-10TB a month in data. I use around 5-8GB data on cellular per month on 5 devices out of seven (per device).

What OP really wants is a nuclear battery

Maybe you can find one in a Russian landfill.
Then all you need is Plutonium or Strontium-90

That way you can power your repeater for 80 years or even longer

Being facetious

warrenellis.com/?p=6901

You could also try to loot abandoned Russian nuclear light houses for a battery although they're probably all taken by now

warrenellis.com/?p=6901

TMO is fine outside cities and urban areas mate. I drive around 5k miles a year across the country (1200ish one way). You won't have a problem in most cases in my experience.

Yes.
A specialized device built on CC3200 would probably be best choice.
From spec sheet,
Hibernate:4 μA
Low-Power Deep Sleep (LPDS): 250 μA
RX Traffic(MCU Active): 59 mA @ 54 OFDM
TX Traffic
(MCU Active): 229 mA @ 54 OFDM (Maximum Power)
Idle Connected (MCU in LPDS): 825 μA @ DTIM = 1

Worst case you will need about 2000 Ah worth of 2.1V - 3.6V supply, but 500 Ah of 3.7 lithium batteries should be enough most likely.

Maybe, but it wouldn't be very useful as the signal strength will be cut by half anyway.

Why not just connect a battery to a solar panel?

There should be plenty of batteries that would hold up longer than a day, which would mean solar would be able to recharge it. Maybe not 100% so it might eventually start kicking out after sundown but it could probably hold for a while.

WHY bury a battery powered WiFi repeater in the first place?

What the hell are you doing with your phone? Are you using it instead of your home internet connection or something?
I watch YouTube, listen to music, read news.... All the usual phone activities and barely scratch 5gb a month.

>What the hell are you doing with your phone? Are you using it instead of your home internet connection or something?
Pretty much.