Why the fuck is Discord being used in the general threads now? There is no reason to use discord when IRC+Mumble exists

Why the fuck is Discord being used in the general threads now? There is no reason to use discord when IRC+Mumble exists.

0-work installation/getting started is a reason
omni-platform + web client + perfect sync between everything out of the box is a reason
modern, comfy ui with themes and options like irc vs cozy layout is a reason
desktop/phone ui integration is a reason
not having to bother knowing connection details and shit but just clicking a link to join is a reason

fuck off you autist, go back to your terminal os and fap to the output of htop for a while

go back to Sup Forums you casual

>preferring fast, efficient, variable-less workflows over slow, convoluted, error-prone ones makes you a casual
classic turbo autist here

i bet you've never done any serious piece of work in your life

Why would I need to use two separate programs over one that does both?

>using discord botnet
Shiggy diggy

Discord is good, Sup Forums wouldn't hate it as much if it wasn't advertised for gaymurs.

Is it open sauce?

I wouldn't hate on discord if I could host it myself. I don't like the trend of people moving away from selfhosted services to huge ones like tumblr, twitter, and now discord.

Basically this.

>Why the fuck is Discord being used in the general threads now?

because discord is easy for casuals, just like general threads are easy for casuals

>i like to do redundant work, reinvent every wheel, and offer a service that relies at every level on my own personal shitty gear like home internet, ddns and an old laptop for hosting
agglomeration has its advantages, user. Less control but more stability, certainty, uniformity and quality

>I don't like the trend of people moving away from selfhosted services to huge ones

Yeah, because centralizing services and content is really bad, let's separate everything and everyone, it's way better to have 10 places/programs to the same fucking thing.

Probably no

well considering you have to compile it for arch i think yes? not sure though

non-free software

Discord is not open source.
Although a lot of people would like it to be.

I was impressed by the series of arguments you gave (except for the UI one, which is subjective) but then you sank to his level and acted like a bigot. Which makes you as much as of an idiot as him except from the other extreme: "Hurr durr, it just works so it's good.". As if control, complexity, safety and learning aren't useful things, much more useful than comfort and ease.

And what exactly is Discord?

>Discord is a free proprietary VoIP application designed for gaming communities. Discord runs on Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, Android, iOS, Linux and in a web browser.
>As of July 2016 the software had been used by over 11 million users.

You don't host the IRC networks people use either bud.

I host a mumble server for my friends.

>discord
>hey let's have a sekrit klub without using tripfags so our general can be a total circlejerk with namedropping and our inside memes
generals should be fucking banned

tl;dr version?

It was from wikipedia you lazy fuck.
Holy shit, people can't bother to do a web search for 5s these days?

You mean greedy stallmanists, who can create anything them selves, so they go full on mouth foaming retard mode and shout
"MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODE"

Fucking hypocrites, you dont have ANY ACCESS to the INTERNATIONAL BACKBONES software do you?
Yet you happily and blindly use The Internet freely without any problem.

What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

Really makes you fire your neurons

You can host your own IRC servers and networks, and you can freely choose any of the existing ones. Many people do.

>2^11-32
>not using matrix

>enter irci channel
>nobody's talking

so is this what 90's hip kids call it fun

You can, but most people don't. Most people even on Sup Forums don't, because the Sup Forums channel is just hosted on Rizon along with the majority of other Sup Forums channels.

discord is p good, OP

for instance it's one program instead of 2

also it's easy to use

also it's free

also there's emotes & u can embed media

overall it's quite good

discord is utter shit

even slack is better

Why is it so popular?

And do people on Sup Forums start groups and chat together or something? Don't see why a voice client is so big

>2 programs to do the work of one
Le freetard meme

it's le unix philosophy!