/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
Exclusive: Google's new phones will be called the Pixel and Pixel XL
androidpolice.com/2016/09/01/exclusive-googles-new-phones-will-be-called-the-pixel-and-pixel-xl/

Report says Google will unveil Pixel phones early next month
gsmarena.com/report_says_google_will_unveil_new_pixel_phones_daydream_vr_headset_and_4kcapable_chromecast_next_mo-news-20295.php

It's official: Samsung is recalling the Galaxy Note7 over battery fire hazard, sales halted
gsmarena.com/samsung_recalls_galaxy_note7_over_battery_fire_hazard_sales_halted-news-20299.php

Google's ambitious Project Ara has been canned
gsmarena.com/googles_ambitious_project_ara_has_been_canned-news-20296.php

Sony Xperia XZ and X Compact are up for pre-order in the UK already
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_and_x_compact_are_up_for_preorder_in_the_uk_already-news-20283.php

Google is making it harder to root Android 7.0 Nougat
betanews.com/2016/07/20/android-7-0-nougat-root/

Geekbench 4 now available on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android; also includes GPU compute workloads
geekbench.com/blog/2016/08/geekbench-4/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-5-5-Inch-FHD-3GB-32GB-Smartphone-371104.html
xda-developers.com/with-the-note-7-samsung-still-delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/
youtube.com/watch?v=1ha-JaFO3Eg
en.miui.com/thread-253680-1-1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>No GPS taped on phone

One job

Regarding Google scrapping Project Ara, isn't this just par for the course with Google?

So I have pic related. Kills on battery life, responsive enough hardware with good radios, terrible camera but I have a DSLR for srs bsns so meh. Its EMUI firmware is just. Fucking. Terrible though. I wanna root the shit out of this thing.

I rooted an S3 years ago and broke it, this is still under warranty and I'm worried about bricking it as well. Is rooting as risky as it was say 5 years ago?

That's why its smartest, because it cannot location based botnet you.

Has anyone else had the problem where TWRP refuses to recognize that your phone's data partition is encrypted? On my Moto G2 it would ask me when I boot into recovery for the decryption password. Now on my Honor 5X it goes straight to the menu and the folders in Data come out empty. Forcing it to mount doesn't work either.

Can someone post that phone buying chart, please? I think it was for August.

here, solved my own problem with the Honor 5X. Looks like the build on TWRP's website doesn't play nice with encrypted storage of any kind. I had to use a custom version off the forum for the phone on XDA. It was in the repository of a user called clsA.

I'm surprised the Honor 5X didn't catch on as a memephone, even when it went for $120 on Prime Day.

Anyome have a RN3P with tmobile, what kind of speeds without band 12 support?

Also, where to buy one with international rom?

Reposting here since other thread is autosage

I was interested in the 5x too until I read about the dreadful battery life. Moto X Pure has even worse battery. I was interested in the LG V10 then I found it seems to be bootlooping like th G4 did. Moto G4 allegedly overheats and lags and Huawei Honor 5X is identical. Oneplus Two was shit. Xperia Z3 cracks easily.

I'm left wondering what the fuck I'm supposed to get and I'm pretty much just looking at a redmi or refurb Note 4 at this point (which 20 or so people claim to have issues with post MM, though most are euro model and I live in the US. fucking kill me.)

According to the internet literally every phone I look up has issues and Sup Forums has made it worse. What am I supposed to do

geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-5-5-Inch-FHD-3GB-32GB-Smartphone-371104.html

Purchase a landline

Going to get the OP3 soon, planning on ordering the Otterbox case with it. Is the screen protector on Oneplus's website any good, or is there a better option?

Fuck me, why does Sony have to release such a shit compact phone this year? They'd have no Android competitors for the mini category. If they had improved the specs, or dropped the price by $200, they would be killing it in sales.

>xiaomi note 4

HAVE YOU ORDERED YET LADS?

Hey Sup Forums, I'm looking for something to replace my Nexus 5 since this Qualcomm thing is looking like it will fuck me over in the long run. Need something that has full support for T-Mobile (so Redmi is out according to the links in the OP).

>be yesterday
>get nice new note 7
>spend all night going through settings, setting up apps and shit
>wake up next morning
>recalled because of hand grenade
GOD FUCKING

>Falling for the note meme
xda-developers.com/with-the-note-7-samsung-still-delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

Why would you need over 200$ phone? isn't 100€ enought for browsing web etc?

>Note7 recalled
What phone should I switch to?

Redmeme note 3 pro

The time for non-chink phones is over. Praise our chink overlords

>samsung

youtube.com/watch?v=1ha-JaFO3Eg

awkward

But I'm on tmobile...

You probably couldn't do it because of the locked bootloader

V20

I'm really contemplating on getting a z5c. There are no other "small" phones on the market which absolutely sucks.

except for the iphone SE but that one is far far too expensive.

Sony knows that only a small number of people buy their phones and they buy only Sony phones. So they gouge those people as much as they can.

Wait for the Pixel phones.

The Note 7 doesn't actually have inferior RAM management. It's keeping all those Samsung features in RAM as well.

The Pixel phones sound nice but that whole "Google oriented experience" thing is making me shudder a bit. Are they going to have Google's flavor of Touchjizz on them?

Google's Android skin is no skin.

Any new phones I can atach a strap to?
Most of the recent models don't seem to have one.

Is this it?

>Mediakek

No.

You'll probably have to buy a case and attach a strap to that.

LTE works on T-Mobile, on band 4 I think it was?

What is the best medium price range android? I want a bigger screen and what ever has the best ram and processing power. I'm going to the Verizon store tomorrow, I live in USA

BlackBerry Priv, STV100-1.

I got it direct from the manufacturer with 5.1.1, then updated it to 6.0.1, and it was a fucking dream. Streamed YouTube videos for over an hour straight and it didn't even break a sweat, with the screen at moderate brightness, and it wasn't even warm.

Did a factory reset and entered some Jewgle shit afterwards, and the damn thing may as well be a glorified hand warmer. I could do LITERALLY NOTHING and the phone would still get warm.

It's been less than a week since I've got it, and I'm pretty sure I could get a replacement.

I don't really want to get a refund since I got it on sale for 150 dollars less, but I will if the warmness persists after I fix it.

Can anybody else help me with ?

I was unhappy with my note 7 due to its shit performance. Now that verizion is allowing me to return this shit phone, what do i get now?

I'm a big sucker for phones built extremely well

Who /redmeme/ here?

>OEM skin
B L O A T
L
O
A
T

Sony phones have a lanyard strap thing on them

I got one for my gf. She really likes it coming from an iPhone 4s. She wanted a small size phone and that was the only one on the market that had decent specs.

Nexus 6p

if my nexus 6 ever dies, are there any good alternatives out there? need muh big screen.

redmeme :)

There's this thing called the internet, try going to the verizon webpage and look you dumb tripfag.
Why, you gonna game on your phone?
CDMA is inferior, that's why only the usa still uses it.

Miui is better than most phone OEM skins

Me but CM13.

en.miui.com/thread-253680-1-1.html
This shit doesn't work
How do I unlock the bootloader on my redmeme note 3?

So do I actually need to return this note 7 or am I being meme'd

This really seems like an overreaction 2bh

Return it if there's an actual recall in your area, retardo. Five cases isn't much but you're going to live with this thing for years, might as well be 100% sure its battery isn't going to blow up on you.

I don't know how this recall shit works

I use verizon, so do I give it to them now and they give me something to use in the next week or so, or should I wait until they get the new phones in stock then go and replace it

I'd really like to try an iPhone for a change, i'm not that attached to android as an OS.

don't, I thought to same thing and regretted it after 6 months. Waiting another year and a half to go back to android was painful

Anybody?

Bought a redmi note 3 pro to replace my S5 which I gave to my gf.

So far it's fucking awesome. Miui takes getting used to but it's smooth so far, currently waiting for my unlock code.

Currently 97% battery with 30min screen on time. Battery life alone makes this a killer phone.

Give it a few days

So anyone actually bought one, does it really support band 20 ?
I don't really want to spent 190 bucks to only find out it doesn't support band 20.

According to this , why is the redmi note 3 pro the end result for one of the decisions and in this thread as well when the note 4 is released? (genuine question, not trolling or being stupid)

>He doesn't have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3

I can't believe posts like these. It just seems like shilling.

What version of miui are you running?

Yeah, that's the one, thanks!

note 4 comes with mediakek processor. note 3 has at least official cm support which the 4 won't get because of the mediakek processor.

So since i can replace my note 7, should i just get it in black again or try out blue?

Silver/gold niggers need not apply

I managed to unlock it. It was something stupid, I forgot to enable OEM unlock in the developer options

>Not getting dat goldie

smffhhh

oh, that makes a lot of sense. had no idea what mediakek meant in the reply above, I thought it would be something like waiting for the note 4 pro version to come out or something instead

on a side note does anyone else think this guy's head in this picture literally looks like an asshole/buttcheeks above the baby?

that's the reason thsi pic gets posted all the time user..

I want to see the next nexus phone RIGHT NOW

Believe what you want. If you find it hard to believe that a modern midrange soc and 4000mah battery isn't efficient as fuck then youre a retard.

They are a bit suspect but they'd be more suspect if this was some random chink company and not Xiaomeme. Xiaomi has been well known in my country for quite a while. Basically all the hipsters that didn't want a Moto G here and\or wanted 2 GB ram bought Xiaomi Redmis.

Ah okay, yeah if you don't follow the steps it can be fucky

That's why its posted a lot, like that picture of the dog laying on a blanket with red patches, making it look like its bleeding in the thumbnail

Gold is a shit tier color for phones

I don't know why it's a thing

Most of that was gaming too, not just idling with the screen on.

copyright infringement: two american companies arguing with millions of dollars between 2 $10 things that came from the same chinese factory

>tfw iphone users are going to claim Apple invented a dual rear camera setup on a smartphone

>android system
>android with the original settings icon
you have malware boi

I bought a CAT S60, and I'm beginning to regret it because I can't root it. The phone is great, there's pretty much nothing I'd bother changing, it's just that the things I want to add are impossible. Xposed, TitaniumBackup, Adaway, etc. The usual "fastboot oem unlock" isn't an option, it says it isn't a command, even with OEM unlocking enabled in developer options. I've even tried automated solutions, like Kingroot, Root Genius, and iRoot/Vroot. Is there anything else I can try, or am I just out of luck until someone finds a way around whatever security they have, or edits an official update or something?

Whats the best ROM to install on a Galaxy S5 right now?

Miui stock faggot. Waiting for unlock code.

I also have android OS and android System in my battery stats, clean official cm.

Try contacting CAT see what they say.

Bullshit. Gold is the only true option. Who wants another grey or silver device?

Blue is mainstream, black is for true classy people

Gold is for faggots

Black > Silver > White >>>>> Gold

This

z5 or z5c in black or white?

Why

Doesn't matter, you'll need to cover it in a case anyways so it doesn't Crack if you keep keys in the same pocket or put it on a cool table after you have been using your phone or you look at it wrong

Does the Nokia N900 count as a smartphone? Would you recommend it for the year of our lord 2016? Is it comfy?

Heart Gold is the best game in the series

Planning to buy a Xiaomi Mi5 to replace my moto Sup Forums.

Do you guys think this eBay link is legit?
ebay.co.uk/itm/XiaoMi-Mi5-4G-Smartphone-5-15-MIUI-7-Quad-Core-2-15GHz-64GB-3GB-FHD-Screen-/252491309916
Cheaper than it is on banggood and faster shipping also.

Also, how easy is it to root and install custom ROMs on this? Anything else I should be aware of?

I'm not distrustful of the numbers, it's the frequency of the posts that seem incredulous.

how's the thermal camera? any pics you made with it you can post? i've been looking into that phone too, could be interesting for work.

I bought it without checking the Sup Forums threads and I know my posts sound silly as fuck as soon as I realised how many people are buying this phone.

I regret not buying chink oh new sooner. For the same price you get some shitty 512mb ram phone from samshit that's barely usable.

Needs to be updated without Note 7 fire hazzard.

I'm using the OnePlus X at the moment, and it was fairly cheap when I bought it. It's plenty good

my 5x is in a boot loop am i fucked?

Yep