So what DE do you use, and what do you like about it?

So what DE do you use, and what do you like about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2
richardg867.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/notes-on-red-star-os-3-0/
news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-mate-16-10-will-use-less-ram-than-ubuntu-mate-16-04-lts-here-s-why-505115.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

GNOME 3 on Fedora 25 BETA (+BTRFS +Wayland)

It's modern looking and I like GTK3. Feels solid and professional. Don't need to edit a config file for basic shit.

Xfce, it's fast and responsive

KDE Neon.

Because it just werks.

gnome
scaling works properly

MATE
It works well and follows the classic desktop paradigim. Kinda sad most of it'll be GTK3 soon.

Even so, i like rhythembox.
Linus Torvalds spotted.

I use Unity because I like how it preserves vertical space

i3
1 second login
0% CPU at idle

Mac OS X

Windows because it has games.

GNOME because it
- looks high quality/polished out of the box
- has nifty keyboard shortcuts
- can be easily modified with extensions

this

>Don't need to edit a config file for basic shit.

Yeah, instead you need to install a bunch of third party extensions to do basic shit.

xfce - simple to use, fast and riceable enough for my tastes

I'm trying to force myself to learn a tiling wm because I've seen how fast people can do shit in them and I'm always wasting time arranging windows but I'm lazy to learn and even lazier to learn to write configs. Not even sure which one, probably xmonad since i'm learning haskell anyways or awesome because i know some lua.

xfce - it came with xubuntu and I thought it was alright so I didn't really look into any others

Friendly reminder to reverse engineer the desktop environment from Red Star OS, best korea's GNU/Linux distro.

Option nÂș2 is to go in parachute to rescue the devs.

every de pissed me off eventually

gnome 3 is actually decent, especially since it has plugins.

XFCE because it doesn't fuck with me

Link to iso openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2
additinal notes richardg867.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/notes-on-red-star-os-3-0/

KDE

i3, it is by far the best computing environment I can hope for for the way my mind works.

Xfce

KDE Plasma

Currently hopping between Gnome 3 and Mate (GTK3) on Antergos.

What I like about Gnome 3 are the fancy animations and window management features. Since I'm using an Asus Zenbook Flip, I can convert to tablet mode and Gnome 3's big ass icons and window borders make navigating via touch screen enjoyable, feels like I'm using an actual tablet which is great when all I'm doing is consuming media. But when I'm actually working on something, all that is just a distraction and I turn to a DE that doesn't get in my way, that's when Mate comes in. If you've used Linux for years, you're already well acquainted with Mate, it's just Gnome 2 (now) ported to GTK3. It gives a very nostalgic feeling.

LXDE; it stays out of the way without being non-functional crap requiring scripting and laboring over config files for basic functionality and cosmetics like with a bare tiling wm.

>Kinda sad most of it'll be GTK3 soon.

You do realize that it being ported to GTK3 is a good thing, right?

Noob Mate user here. Will it be heavier when ported to GTK3?

I was reading some stuff earlier today that showed in Mate that less ram is used for the same applications under GTK3. GTK3 sheds a lot of the deprecated cruft in GTK2.

LXDE on LUbuntu
looks ok, runs smooth

Here's the article I read

news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-mate-16-10-will-use-less-ram-than-ubuntu-mate-16-04-lts-here-s-why-505115.shtml

awesome because its the only tiling wm with an API in an easy language (lua). It has widgets and even support for drawing graphics.

So you can basically have it do whatever you want.

MATE is the objectively superior choice of DE.

That's really cool.

MATE. I'm just a GNOME 2 user who doesn't bother to change when there's no reason to do so.

I like Xfce too.

>thinly veiled desktop thread

I use KDE.
There are several things I like.
I like the kwin window manager.
I like the applications (Kate, konsole, dolphin, kile, kolourpaint etc)
But I can use all these things anywhere.
The best thing about KDE is the launcher.
Krunner is so far ahead of all other launchers.
I have tried to replace it with a lot of dmenu applications, and tried the alternatives, but krunner is the only one which is usable.

looks more like an actual /fglt/

>female condom

>the 4th piece of the triforce

Unity. It just works.

Me too, also its nice when i use my 2 in 1 in tablet mode.

I use windows

I use openbox no DE just openbox nothing more nothing less

imagine it being easily modified without extensions, what a DE it would be.

Gnome or xfce, depends on the hardware i guess

Same for me. KDE connect is great too.

>using the word nifty

I'm 30 and even I think you are a grandpa.