/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/to-Sup
boards.Sup
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xynth
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroXwin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>ubuntu
>try ricing a lil
>somehow fuck it up
>reboot
>font is all in gibberish
AM I BEING HACKED
IM BEING HACKED AREN'T I

thread banner

stallman.org/to-Sup Forums.html
>I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
>Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.
>More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

gentoofags BTFO

"When they go low, we go high."
-Melania Trump

does anyone use Gentoo on a VM, specifically virtualbox?

Everything works fine besides having the ability to go into seamless mode being greyed out. I mounted the guest additions CD with no help. I don't remember if I had this problem with other GNU/Linux distros and I can't seem to find an answer to fix this online

Can you use Gentoo with Busybox? If so why should it be called GNU/Linux?

big deal, he would say the same thing about poor Debian

Stallman is an activist so he can't really have a pragmatic approach to supporting anything with non free software

It's past your bed time granddad.

Busybox is for embeded systems like smart TVs, nothing for a userland since it isn't a complete replacement.

You're being tested and recruited. Some russians must have seen your 'mad skillz' at ricing. They want to know how skilled you really are.

IVE FAILED OK
JUST GIVE ME BACK MY LINUX

Even so, there is no reason to credit GNU in this case.

Gentoo is about building a system the way you want. So it makes sense that it doesn't have GNU in the name.

Then it shouldn't be called Gentoo Linux because you have use the BSD kernel instead. Do what? Gentoo OS should it be called? (fuck I sound like yoda now)

busybox is part of the system set, but portage requires the GNU coreutils. So if you had a system that didn't need a package manager, you wouldn't need the coreutils, you could just use busybox.

But the coreutils are not the entirety of the GNU operating system. There's the standard C library and compiler, shell, etc. Some can be replaced, but you would still need gcc in the end for some things.

if you stuck at tty try setfont

tried weston and sway

both failed to launch without systemd

error: libsystemd.so.0 missing for sway
plus error: libgudev.so.0 missing for weston

thats it? no systemd == no wayland?

Windows/NT: Windows
OS X/Xnu: OS X
Android/Linux: Android
GNU/Linux: GNU

There's no need to mention the kernel.

Yes, X is fine though. Just get a good compositor like compton or kwin's compositor.

Busybox/Linux: Busybox

It is called linux though, everyone calls it linux and no amount of sjw campaigning is going to change that.

Exactly.
furthermore
GNU/KfreeBSD: GNU
GNU/Hurd: GNU

Parabola GNU/kFreeBSD users don't call it Linux (would be retarded, wouldn't it?)

>would be retarded, wouldn't it?
Yes, because everyone would call it freebsd.

busybox is not an operating system, kys
kfreebsd is a kernel which got the name from the OS FreeBSD, newfag

I know, no user would call it gnu anything though, they would call it kfreebsd or freebsd or bsd.

Fact is, the GNU project created the operating system. Add a kernel and it's a combination, not a kernel.

>busybox is not an operating system, kys
Neither is gnu
>dat wishful thinking

Read a book and learn what an operating system is. I suggest something by Tannebaum. Thanks.

Sure thing bud, keep believing that delusion.

>notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

kys friend

will post the results if/when I get an answer

Tried installing Kubuntu 16.10 on vmware Pro 12 but when it's booting I get a message saying "The Guest System disabled the CPU", tried both with the Easy setup and manually, is it a problem with Ubuntu 16.10 and vmware or I'm I missing something?

uuunnnghhhh
*drops a huge load*
uhh the new kernel is ready guys

Does anyone else get glitchy menus in KDE 5 with the opengl compositor and nouveau drivers on a maxwell card?

yeah I know how to fix it
*pulls down pants, squats*
*something brown starts appearing out of the bottom hole*
yeah here's the new kde version your problem is fixed here

>posting 3dpd
>not posting 2d
nope i don't know what's the deal here
hehehe wink wink

Sorry senpai, here.

>underage winshill
>thinks jokes about feces are funny

where can I get the newest version of the linux kernel? i want to obtain it in physical form so i can just shit on it real hard

How do I use pihole +dnscrypt?

Debian is best free software

I've used Debian for a long time but the way systemd was handled was disappointing to put it nicely

I don't use it on personal devices anymore as a result

Anyone got some advice for a decent minimal & flat KDE UI?

I use ubuntu for work but Gnome/unity is fucking garbage so I'm looking to swap over and rice out my UI.

Sometimes it seems like my display just dies. I've got a Thinkpad hooked up to an external GPU and then to a monitor. Everything will be on, but there won't be anything at all displaying. I can't seem to switch screens either.

How would I go about even figuring out what's causing this? It's usually not an issue, since I can go in and out of suspend just fine and I usually suspend when I leave. It's just annoying walking away for five minutes and coming back and having nothing.

Why do many steam games run like shit on recent versions of Wine but smoothly on 1.6.2?

So what does
No rule to make target '/home/user/ext/json/json.c', needed by 'ext/json/json.lo'. Stop.
mean? I'm trying to build php5 from source with some particular options in debian stable and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

Is your username "user"?

Yes.

That's a fucking stupid username senpai

Oh fuck that doesn't make sense. It's actually No rule to make target 'home/user/source/php5-5.6.27+dfsg/ext/json/json.c', needed by 'ext/json/json.lo'. Stop.

Sorry.

>with some particular options
First try to compile it as its given, then start to change things

I saw linux kiosk at library running lubuntu with 2.6.* kernel with old ssh. What fun thing should i do with them?

Grow up.

use them to find a nice book to read

Fuck
Off

I will use them for fork bomb to other kiosks.
ps:

The sysadmin is a pajeet

Whatever, stupid animeposter.

How would I go about recursively finding all files in a folder (that nests multiple folders down) and then execute some command on each file by using both the path and the file name as variables?

Basically I have a folder with a fuck ton of SVG files that I want to convert to PNG the problem is that I don't want them to end up in their respective directory but rather have a general output directory that retains original filenames but not folder structure and I think find & exec won't work in this case since it uses the full path?

Corporations are using your free software for their closed proprietary software and you have no way to prove they're doing it! Free software is for losers that like being exploited.

You can first convert the files so that they are in the same directory as the original ones. After that, move them elsewhere with another command.

Yeah I ended up doing:
find icons -name "*.svg" -type f -exec inkscape -z -e {}.png -w 32 -h 32 {} \;

Then I'll figure out how to move them.

Should be pretty straightforward with find and mv.

Yep, got it.

find icons_test -name "*.png" -type f -exec sh -c 'mv {} output/$(basename {} ".png")' \;

Which means that I could have done the same to solve the original problem but oh well.

how to download all pictures from a Sup Forums thread with wget?
i tired stuff like this:
[quote]wget -A jpg -r -l1 -nd -P Sup Forums -p -e robots=off -p boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/...[/quote]
but it only downloads the index file a few times and removes it again because of the -A flag.
When i append the -H flag to allow diffrent hosts, it downloads ALL the images which are currently on Sup Forums ( goes through all the boards )

Oh, i thought the tag was [quote].
Then its probably this one:
wget -A jpg -r -l1 -nd -P Sup Forums -p -e robots=off -p boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/..

Newfag with Linux Mint here:
How can I increase the default size of the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T). It's always so fucking small, whenever I open it.

Install guake to access a fullscreen terminal with a single keystroke.

get -H -P Sup Forums -r -Di.4cdn.org -r -l 1 -U Mozilla -A ".jpg,.jpeg,.png,.gif," -nc -nd --wait 1 --random-wait -e robots=off boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/.. && rm Sup Forums/*s.*

This is it.
Problem it that it downloads also the small thumbnails which are saved as s.extension, so i call rm *s.* afterwards.
anyone got another clean solution for that?
when there is a s in the filename it will be removed too ..

Here is my script

curl -s '' | tr -d '\n' | grep -o 'href="//i.4cdn.org/[a-zA-Z0-9]*/[0-9]*.[^\"]*" target='
| sed 's/^.*\/\/\([^\"]*\).*$/\http\:\/\/\1/g'
| sed -n 'g;n;p' | xargs -P3 wget -q

Why the fuck would care about a cleaner solution if you already have a working solution? It's not like the thumbnails add much to the execution time. Keep it simple, stupid.

You didnt get it.
i call rm *s.* after downloading everything.
if the file is called 123.png, the thumbnail is 123s.png which is fine.
but when there is a s in the name, for example 123s123.png (thumbnail 123s123s.png), its going to be removed too.
Works perfectly, thanks.

There's a really substantial logical fallacy there, but unfortunately I cannot name it exactly.

why sound quality on gnu+linux is so bad? everything sounds so flat
pls no bully

Avoiding systemd will only get harder in the future

Because anime girls ain't got no volume

Because anime girls ain't got volume

every terminal emulator is customizable. Check the settings (or the edit the profile).

now that you got the (you), you can go back to

Disappointing because systemd won? Are you Ian Jackson?

>D - systemd
>F - requires further discussion
>O - openrc
>U - upstart
>V - sysvinit (no change)

>D U O V F - Bdale Garbee
>D U O V F - Don Armstrong
>D U O V F - Keith Packard
>D U O V F - Russ Allbery
>F U D O V - Steve Langasek
>F V O U D - Ian Jackson
>U D O F V - Colin Watson
>U F D O V - Andreas Barth

installed ubuntu as dualboot three days ago and im about to increase the size of my linux partition
am i going in too fast?

You didn't even wipe Windows from your disk yet, how is that fast?

>openSuSE installed on laptop
>KDE 3.5 aka TDE as a daily driver
>connect to the external monitor, keyboard, mouse
>closing the lid turns the laptop to sleep
>keyboard initialising takes ages

What do? I don't want to turn the laptop to sleep if external monitor is present and connected to the external power.
And I don't know what to do with such behavior of the keyboard...

How can i set in deluge to download files one by one, not all in same time?

O have a fairly stupid question which could potentially help my class.
Imagine you have Lenovo ideapad 100 with freshly installed Ubuntu 16.04 and you have 1 hour to install app/twinkle with it and then you will be forced to use it for next year without adding anything to it.
What would be the must have things you do ?
>plz no memes

Set priorities but even then it things won't be downloaded one by one unless you pause all the others.

Bond. James Bond.

>X takes 80 megs of RAM
How to fix that? My target machine is only 16 megs.

Are you going to take it with you to Antarctica or something?

16 mb isn't enough for xorg

Use a version that's from the same era as your machine

No i just wonder what people cant live without. I expect to get various personal preferences and pick what I would like.

Internet connection.

i just wanna know if its normal to consider suicide when installing gentoo

reacting to obstacles or problems with despair and anger is a sign of immaturity and st upidity, user.

Is there some modern unbloated window system?

you shouldn't be trying to run modern software on ancient hardware

sed -e "/GNU\///g"

How can I make my Linux to look like MacOS 9?

Here are some alternatives:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xynth
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroXwin

These are the only ones, that I know of, that aren't dead.

By "aren't dead" I meant, you can still find download links. Nothing is still being actively developed.