Now that the dust has settled, how does Sup Forums feel about Chromebooks?

Now that the dust has settled, how does Sup Forums feel about Chromebooks?

dunno never looked into them

i avoid doing things in the cloud

chromebooks are meant for the cloud

no thank you

normie trash

Would it be better to get a cheap windows laptop (and install remix os) or a chromebook for an old person who just watches videos and surfs the net?

a chromebook for that specific use case

>thinkpad
>no trackpoint

They're ok shitposting machines.

> how does Sup Forums feel
I don't.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread m8

Seems pretty organized and disciplined tb.honest family

don't like 'the cloud''
kinda under powered
so fukem

Why would I buy a computer that can only run a browser?

They're too expensive. They're like 300 to 400 CAD here in Canada, and they are so limited. For a bit more you can get a real laptop that plays games.

They can run plenty of programs other than a browser.

More like Botbook

Such as?

Good linux shitposting machines. ChromeOS looks usable but any person that can rub together two brain cells would install a real distro on it. If I had the dosh I'd certainly buy a chromebook pixel 2. It's so fucking aesthetic. Just the 3:2 panel alone.

Anyone who buys a """Thinkpad""" chromebook should play in traffic.

>A wild op appears
>Op uses general question
>user uses useless answer
>Thread dies

>Chromebooks
>Keks for days

Matlab, Eclipse, Gimp

How do you install them?

If you don't care about chrome OS, the Intel Chromebooks are some of the best linux laptops you can get. No driver compatibility or battery life issues with Linux and usually get better build quality compared to similarly priced windows laptops.

But with Google play arriving soon I don't care about crouton that much anymore.

It's just that with chrome OS you can use track pad gestures like three finger swipe to go back/forward in a page. After getting used to these gestures it's even nicer to use them instead of keyboard shortcuts.

I bought an Acer Chromebook 14 last week and honestly I love it. Even with crappy specs the thing flies along. Track pad gestures are ace, too!

Probably Chromebook will be enoug Maintaining old laptops are costlier and Chromebooks have good warranty.

Gave one to my mom and she loves it.

I've never used one, I've wanted one for a few years but can't really justify it because I'm not sure what I'd use it for. Maybe I should just buy a cheap one and if I like it I'll buy a good one in future.

Just get a mac, they work.

They're great. I got a cb311 last year and put ubuntu on it, it somehow was able to smoothly run counter strike source.

You just have to use crouton and bam, you have an okay laptop.

The chrome book pixel 2 was nifty. It was basically a laptop with a great screen and modest specs at the price of a nerfed keyboard and storage.

Idk I kinda wanna replace my x220T someday but that wasn't fitting the bill

cronybook

If you don't need anything beyond a web browser then yes. If you need to run native applications just get a cheap normal laptop and install the OS of your choice.