Become Hirable Programmer

Since June after I had become unemployed, I had started learning programming after suggestion of my dad (My dad belong to older computer user generation with Amiga and Commodore).

At first I thought that you need to be born genius to become programmer and I thought that I was too stupid for it until I finally learned it. Currently I know basic Java and Javascript and some Python, I'm planned to learn more coding languages like C, C# and C++.

But I still think that I had missed vital programming skills that allowed me to be become hirable programmer.

As the time goes on while learning programming my confidence on becoming programmer decrease, it don't help that I'm currently 33 year old and here in Sweden most IT companies demand programmer to have +4 years education and +2 years experiences.

How do you know if you are good enough to become hirable programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

jensenyh.se/vara-utbildningar/javascript-utvecklare
hackerrank.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How do you know if you are good enough to become hirable programmer?
If you can get hired as a programmer.

What work did you do before you became unemployed?
What kind of education do you have?
If you have time, I suggest you look into languages such as JavaScript/PHP/C#/HTML along with CSS, MySQL(and other SQL types).
If you have time to re-educate yourself I suggest you take this.
jensenyh.se/vara-utbildningar/javascript-utvecklare

Along with re-educating yourself. I suggest you pick up a parttime job and work with hobby stuff.

Just get good with C# + ASP.NET, Java + Spring or Javascript+html+css+insertframeworkhere.js.

If you want to get hired then don't waste time learning a lot of different languages, you should show that you can make either web application backends with C# or Java, or make web frontends with HTML5.

True getting job yourself is another skill that I need to develop.

>What work did you do before you became unemployed?

Store clerk and dishwasher, not very impressed jobs.

>What kind of education do you have?

My propper education is high school. But I had went to a private Anthroposophy school for 4 years.

>If you have time, I suggest you look into languages such as JavaScript/PHP/C#/HTML along with CSS, MySQL(and other SQL types).

I'm still learning Javascript, HTML and CSS. I will also try to learn C# and SQL but I'm little unsure about PHP...

>If you have time to re-educate yourself I suggest you take this.

I love to back to the school but I'm unsure if I have enough time and money...

Ok, I think I will start focus on with Java backend before moving on to frontend and then C#.

>Store clerk and dishwasher, not very impressed jobs.
Yeah, they're not impressive but still work and shows you were doing something.

As I mentioned before. Pick that schooling I showed you, should work fine for you. Also get a part-time work so you have money.

In next month I will go for job interview, so I had to wait and see if I can go to school.

In Sweden they only demand that you show your skills. The 4+ years education and 10 years experience is just to avoid people who barely know html. Just get a github repository with examples of your work.

hackerrank.com this will help you practice writing algorithms and solutions to actual white board problems in interviews. There are bits on string and bit manipulation, data structures, sorting, and many other concepts on computer science.

But yeah just learn the essentials of CS as listed above. Since you're diving into back-end languages primarily, pair it with a database such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, or MongoDB.

I don't mind showing my skills but I'm quit curious about the minmum skill level to be acceptable.

I had already got Github account, I only need to figure out what kind of project I will do... Maybe a personal budget planner... or CYOA games...?

Ok I will check out the site and try to learn the databases stuff.

Just dress like a girl and they will have to hire you.

What is with this stupid meme of having to be a genius to be a programmer? It makes no sense, I think it's just Mandeep trying to keep his shitty job.

OP: pick a subject of specialization, that's your first step. Webdev, embedded systems, system administration, game programming (better not), networks.... there's a lot of it.
Study at will: pick a book, try new things for yourself, look up stuff you don't yet know how to do, read blog posts.... Build your knowledge. Make a project. Then hunt.
Your project is, so to say, your showcase, where employers will see that you know your craft. It doesn't have to be a big project, just make it.
And on top of your project, getting gud at it will make you more desirable for work. If you can prove that you know the subject better than most people (this is not hard if you specialize), you're desirable for a position in that.

database admin a viable option without experience?

The interviewer properly gouge their eyes out before I can get proper interview with them while dressing like a girl.

I think we can blame on media and none-programmer for the meme.

I think I will try specialize on Android development because of Java, I could also consider about webdev too. I always want to become game developer but I think I can only do it as hobby...

Something is not right if you're 33 and think C64 and Amiga belongs to older generation. I'm your age living in a neighbouring country and hacked my childhood with C64 and Amiga. I'm not in the IT industry because I got fed up with programming before the university but I continue coding as a hobby.

The job field is quite spread and you need to seriously consider what you want to do. I think the most viable and fast options for you are web and mobile. I would personally be more a dishwasher than touch web frontend development but it may suit you. For mobile, Swift is probably easy and fun to learn, also I think there are markets for Swift programmers.

I think the reason is because I don't get my real own computer until I was like 12-14 year old and my first own computer was PC.

I'm consider about learning Swift for making app for Apple products but it will not be until I get Mac computer or Mac emulator.

user, I'm about to drop facts.

Becoming an employable, useful software engineer is a lot more difficult and wider in scope than just knowing some programming languages. It's unfortunate but true.

You see, the biggest issue with self-teaching programming is that people tend to only learn the things they find interesting and neglect the rest. This is where university is (marginally) helpful; in that it forces you out of your comfort zone.

Do you know SQL? Do you know what ORM is, and how to use an ORM framework (such as Entity)? Do you know what dependency injection is, and why it's useful? Could you list off the SOLID principles? What does DRY mean? What is a RESTful API? Could you write one? What does CRUD mean? Do you know how to competently articulate complex ideas? Do you know how to use some form of version control? (Git, Mercurial etc). Do you know your software development methodologies? (What is Scrum, Waterfall etc). Do you know how to write tests? Can you use Cucumber to test?

None of this shit is fun to learn (for me personally), but all of it is pretty essential to some degree (it will obviously be different if you're in a Haskell shop, for example).

It sounds like you don't know anything database related. Considering a large portion of software engineering is just storing information, and displaying it somewhere else, it's crucial you get used to them.

It is not. Those are typically roles you'd fall in to whilst already working somewhere. Without experience, you'd have absolutely no worth and nothing to offer as a DBA.

That is why I while learning myself I try to learn stuff even I find it pointless because you will never know if you real need to use them it in the futures. Currently I joined a online Java course on edX.org, planned to apply other courses too.

I know that it exist various type of SQL likte SQLite, MySQL. I think once time I needed to deal with SQL when I tried to create my own image board for very long time ago (don't remember how I did it....)

I'd encourage you to focus on this for a while. I can't emphasis how widely used and useful SQL is. Learn what the differences are, when you'd use one or the other, learn how to create a db, create a table, create foreign keys, primary keys etc. Learn how to insert entries, delete entries, update entries.

Correct answer, although I would rank those:

Java > C# >= JS (React or Angular)

Based on the number and ease of access to entry level jobs without a degree. I work in Austin as a talent scout. I pre-screen dozens of applicants a week. We do first and second order interviews (phone, web) before our clients ever get a resume and do their own thing. We don't have air-tight analytics yet since we have only been in business for 3 years, but based on my experience the lion's share of truly self-taught success stories are funneling into the Java enterprise sector because those guys periodically get desperate and hire anything with a pulse. .NET has a lot of momentum right now but MS has done a good job of reaching out to schools so traditional position tracks are more desirable there. Web used to be number one and the wild west for anyone with the desire to go in, but ever since JS went insane and developed a million frameworks there's been a tough bottle-neck for newcomers to navigate and they're doing a lot more screening lately. It's still highly possible to get in, but you can't fizzbuzz and bullshit like you could in the heyday of simple php scripts and html.

I absolutely agree with this; however, the acronyms are tertiary to the concepts behind them. Most of this can be addressed by getting one good and current book on programming in practice. I haven't got a modern example handy, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find.

That said, SQL and DB related topics are totally essential, even frontend people are often tasked with database roles (albeit small ones) so knowing that is going to be a requisite either before or on the job at some point.

Frankly though, I never found SQL in particular all that dry or challenging. It's relatively strait-forward and painless.

That sound like too many people are ignoring learning SQL or database.

I will try need to find time to learn more about SQL while learning Java and maybe buy book about SQL.

Connections, a good curriculum and a good portfolio is nice to have, language doesn't matter as long as you know how to design a software without thinking about the language you'll use
>mfw not even graduated from CS
>people are already waiting for my graduation to hire me

If you think you're missing some programming skills, Sup Forums roulettes and embedded applications (Arduino, RasPI) are a good start.

>Sup Forums roulettes
Link me some? I'd like to start writing some programs in C, C++ as well as some programs in C# to demonstrate I know OOP and can design and write software.

I'm an entry level grad, the only problem is that in my current job I'm just a systems engineer and I want to learn how to code properly, not just syntax and logic.

>Since June after I had become unemployed, I had started learning programming after suggestion of my dad
You done goofed. It takes time to become good enough for hire. See: