/spg/ - Smartphone General - Boring Sunday Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News
Google has outright lied to 6P owners by claiming that it DOESN'T have the hardware to support Pixel fingerprint swipe gestures. Both phones use the EXACT SAME sensor: the OneTouch FPC1025.
reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/5a04tt/the_pixel_and_6p_both_use_the_exact_same/

GSMArena reviews shows that Pixel XL (78h rating) has worse battery life than S7 Edge (98h Exynos/87h SD)
gsmarena.com/google_pixel_xl-review-1513p3.php

Xiaomi Redmi 4 (unofficially) detailed: 1080p screen, 3s-like specs
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_unofficially_detailed_1080p_screen_3slike_specs-news-21351.php

Motorola Moto M and Lenovo P2 to be unveiled on November 8th?
gsmarena.com/new_report_claims_lenovo_will_out_the_p2_and_the_motorola_moto_m_on_november_8-news-21363.php

Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017) with Snapdragon 430 SoC, 2GB RAM clears FCC
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j3_2017_now_clears_fcc-news-21278.php

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vfTIx-DWcmo
amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-16GB-SIM-Free-Smartphone-G4-Black/dp/B01GZZK9XQ
amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Plus-SIM-Free-Smartphone-G4-Black/dp/B01GZZK95O
amazon.co.uk/Motorola-XT1643-Unlocked-RAM-32GB-LTE-BLACK/dp/B01DDP7GZK/
motorola.co.uk/products/motomaker/FLEXR10UK?version=16MP32GB&front-color=color-black
amazon.co.uk/Cutter-iPhone-model-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00CQ8F20M/
aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Prime-Snapdragon-650-32GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-5-5-1920x1080/32598227866.html
zukfans.eu/community/forums/zuk-z2.5/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hows the "Sony Xperia Z5 Compact" ? This phone seems kewl.

I just broke my S7 Edge like a dipshit and now I need a new phone. Which one should I buy? The budget and OS doesn't matter.

Can't be the pixel tho because It's not available in yurop

then wait for the pixel to yuropize itself

but that could take months
there's a fucking hole in my S7 edge screen I cant use it like that

It's great, though overpriced

Whats my chances with a god tier chink phone or axon 7/ OP3 going to $300 on black friday?

0. the Le Ebin Pro 3 is already $300.

It seems like a better buy than the newer "X compact" one.

guess i'll just buy an iPhone

fuck

No external SD or headphone jack and LCD. looks like Im buying used

Anyone know how to block firmware updates on a 6th gen fire?

Will just blocking the urls from my router do it?

Get a 6s or SE. They're going to continue to be the best phones for the foreseeable future. If you don't mind Bluetooth headphones get a 7.

My girlfriend loves hers. I asked her if she misses her old iPhone and she asked me if I miss an old bruise.

Bumpin dis post Or if anyone has any experience with recent phones that don't have ois/dis and it's impact on still images.

It's not even out yet how are people gonna know.

check the techtablets review.

youtube.com/watch?v=vfTIx-DWcmo

Why android support is so shit? I'm with a Zenfone 2, launched last year and still no Android M to me. The security flaws of Lolipop are extreme, user privacy isn't respected, or you give access to every single thing on your phone or you cant install an app. Why the fuck a single player game wants my contact list? I wish I could deactivate and accept only the ones I'm ok to share. I know they fixed it on M, damn god. I miss my iPhone 5.

>OP3
It just works.
4 months in and it's the fastest phone for a midrange price.
Haven't lurked this thread in months because I have ZERO issues.

battery life?

I've seen his review, and you can get it on gearbest. He doesn't really mention how/if it affects stills, that's why i asked the follow up question. I know my my s5 doesn't and it can sometimes take blurry pictures, but it's an old ass phone, so I was curious how more modern phones, even without OIS/DIS perform.

All those things are available on CM since years ago, and more if you have root/xposed. Go to xda senpai.

Wait for Nov 2. when NDA ends and all the reviews from usual places come up.
|The only reviews other than that are from pajeets currently.

Why are you using a phone for commercial photography?

>The phone was free with a contract

Ah, I see. I honestly don't keep up much in the phone world but it's time to upgrade, so I've been lurking. Hell, I didn't even know there was an actual nda on it, considering the amount of reviews it currently has. Thanks though, guess I'll just wait. The zuk pro 2 is looking pretty appetizing too though.

Why? I bought a phone not a rasberryPi.

>Complain about something
>Here's a solution
>'No'

Nice trips anyway senpai.

Becuase it's easy, and with the battery life recent phones have point and shoots are pretty much worthless to have as dedicated devices. Might as well just meld the two into one device considering the camera hardware on phones these days. Everything I shoot gets resized, so I'm not doing anything too glamour. It's just time to upgrade my phone and I want to get the best of both worlds.

Not sure what you're doing where you can't see the advantage of even a middle-tier P&S over a smartphone.

Fair enough wanting a good camera on your phone. But if you're taking pictures for a job, a dedicated camera will give you better results, full manual control/ability to shoot in raw, able to be claimed on your tax return and will look much more professional to clients/employers.

It's good. Perfect size and gorgeous desing. Too bad it has chink tier build quality for its price.

The "solution" you sugested me fucks up even more with the camera.

At 54%, 2hr 20min SOT

You got a shit phone then

>contract
Nigga unless you live in the boonies, contracts are NOT fucking worth it.
See how much your phone is outright and do the math if you buy a "plan" through BYOD. You'll save way more money.

Alright fellas, got some questions for you that might seem dumb, but i am seriously considering buying an iphone. I've used android most of my life, which I currently have a note 4.

Quite frankly I'm sick of OS updates only lasting two years with android. Which I've heard apple is a lot better in that regards. Thankfully it seems like Android is getting better with rolling out timely updates but not as quick.

Has anyone made the jump from android to apple and actually liked it?

I'm from the UK and need a new phone, I'm on GiffGaff

What's decent I'm looking to spend around £300

a lot of people have
my brother has and has nothing bad to say about the experience

i mean it's all personal preference at the end of the day, i think the biggest drawback for me is lack of customization in iphones, but if you can get past that, then it's a great choice

It's volume work for the most part, and most point and shoots for similar price points are the same hardware. literally the only thing i can think of that point and shoots have phone cameras are zoom functions, and with volume/up down zoom it's pretty even.

Moto G4 Plus or Redmeme Note 3 Pro.

oh god moto g4 is selling for €200 and were it not 5,5'' I'd snatch 2 for me and my brother right now

Any recommended places to buy either? Might lean towards the moto G4 as its 4G

I don't know if its because i'm older, but I'm kinda over customization on my phone. I expect it with my computer, but not for my phone, I just want it to work with minimal problems. My current note 4 seems to have lost charge, even with a completely new battery. It used to last two days pretty much without charging. Now its unplug, do my shit, go to bed, wake up and its at 30%. Meh, I know i'll still have battery degradation with an iphone, but I might (hopefully) have less problems.
One thing I've been meaning to ask about iphones,
can you torrent music and put it on the iphone like an android?

amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-16GB-SIM-Free-Smartphone-G4-Black/dp/B01GZZK9XQ

amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Plus-SIM-Free-Smartphone-G4-Black/dp/B01GZZK95O

Think it's worth getting the 64GB one with the extra RAM?

Sure if you can. can't find the 4/64 on Amazon UK though, only the 3/32 version.

amazon.co.uk/Motorola-XT1643-Unlocked-RAM-32GB-LTE-BLACK/dp/B01DDP7GZK/

I found it on Motorola's website and the 64gb is like £8 more expensive than that

motorola.co.uk/products/motomaker/FLEXR10UK?version=16MP32GB&front-color=color-black

Oh go for it then, that's a good deal.

Mostly on WiFi or lte?

I'm looking to get a mid-range/budget phone for use on Verizon. I have a couple of questions I'd like others to weigh in on:

1. What are the chances that the Moto M comes with Verizon support?

2. Are the any other good budget/midrange phones on the horizon for Verizon other than the possible Moto M (Samsung J3 2017?)?

3. What are the chances the Moto G4 Plus gets a discount on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Might as well, fair bit cheaper than a OP3 which is another I was considering

I have a full sized sim though now I'm gonna have to find a way to cut it down without fucking it up

Does this seem like /prophecy general/ to you? who the fuck knows.

amazon.co.uk/Cutter-iPhone-model-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00CQ8F20M/

£1.29

Not trying to flame here, but I really can't see the android superiority using a phone with 4x the specs of a iPhone 5 being so underperforming.

Thanks dude you've been a big help

Well no, but I wasn't sure if my Google skills weren't up to the task of finding info on upcoming phones. I might have missed something.

Just got the Nexus 5X for $400aud.
Good deal? Only really care about camera.

Wait for November 8 when Lenovo launches the Moto M and P2. it's one week away and you'll know.
The lower end Galaxies(J/A series) miss a lot of sensors. J5 and J7 don't even have auto brightness.

For only the camera? Sure. For everything else including battery, lag factor and thermal heat? No.

LG made= trash with bootlop on top

this hurts me so much. i really want what some of the lg phones are supposed to be.

what are my options?

For the price, mainly. I don't mind performance and battery, I don't use my phone for much. I considered the Pixel but blowing a grand on a phone makes me nauseous

Eh for the price I'd say it's alright. Don't worry much and use it. Chances is it the future midrange will be even better to accommodate your basic needs.

Well I own redmeme note 3 but I'll recommend you One Plus 3. The 6gb ram is no joke and coupled with snapdragon 820 and dash charging make it very worthwhile.

Also, shitton of rom and camera parallel with note 5.

But battery life of the Redmeme is so great.

whats the best way to pirate music on android

Not even being ironic, just buy a 6s or SE.

Same way as you'd do it on a regular computer. rip youtube audio, torrent, direct download etc.

Mostly WiFi but I'm on LTE at least 1/3 of the day

wuts a good galaxy s7 edge case

This is a legit listing for a redmeme note 3 pro international edition, right?

aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Prime-Snapdragon-650-32GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-5-5-1920x1080/32598227866.html

If not, where?

cheaper on gearbest

Enjoy that mono speaker

>blasting music with your phone
top kek

Of course you wouldn't know since you have the shittiest of the shit speakers. Enjoy pointing the sound at others whenever you play audio.

Gimmi an app for music or the wifu gets it!

Shuttle

Got a Moto G Play 4th gen on the way, will I need to debloat/unfuck the thing or can I use it straight?

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Thinking picking up this thing soon. Thoughts? Anybody has/had one?

Hi, today i got android phone after 3 years of WP 8.1 usage, does anyone have recent app/software recommendation charts ?

Cheers!

MTK, so you can't have CM on it. Doesn't seem to be a significant improvement over RN3P.

Which should I get
Sony experia m5, mint condition, used for 3 months from a friend, for around 70 USD
Moto g4 plus for about 274 USD

What I use my phone for
Audiobooks and mp3's. Taking photos. FB messenger, Clover, Wikipedia, occational pdf reading. Talking on (obviously).
I also use the Automate app, which runs in the background but I dont really know how much battery is drained because of this, I suspect not that much.

What I dont use my phone for
Games. Web browsins. Data (3G and 4G) is never used. double sim card.

For those shocked at the g4 price, Im in iceland so any device going through customs will be increased 25%

Just copped one, looking for it to deliver in about 10 days
The biggest con is what said, btu when you compare the specs with what you would get with a western phone, it would be really stupid not to buy just because of rom compatility.

Which phone has the highest numbers(clock speed, ram etc.) Below $500

op3, mi5s

That Meizu M5 looks like a perfect poorfag phone for me, not a major upgrade to the K10 I bought this year, but something about Meizu appeals more to me then Xiaomi.

i ran into a wall and broke my phone. it's completely fine except the touch sensor doesn't work. it's taunting me with its apparent functionality. how fix

it's a galaxy s6, by the way. 64gb.

Anyone have the sony zx

Thoughts? I'm struggling to find a phone I want atm, don't want an iphone, was getting a note bit now that not viable. Any other suggestions? Cost isbt really an issue

Anyone have experience with botnet fi? How good is the network switching algorithm?what does reliable public WiFi mean? What is the level of encryption?

Redmeme if you are not in the US.

Total shit year for smartphones

And OP3 still not letting the cat of of its bag whether they will introduce a new device soon or not, fucking annoying.

The phones in general have become more expensive.

Only decent phones this year:

S7 /Edge

Oneplus 3

ZTE Axon 7

I won't buy the S7 because of Knox, there is no method to root it without tripping Knox.

Axon 7 has shit support in Europe and all.

I have a Nexus 5 I want to replace and was looking into the Xiaomi Mi5 and other chink phones. Then I saw that no interesting phone supports all of my carriers bands. REEEEEEEEE

keep it for one more year mine is still fast af

Can redmeme be bougth anywhere in amsterdam? I live in iceland but Im going to amsterdam for a couple of days

Why does this happen? It should show 3% in total, how do I fix it?

S7? Nah
Op3? Nah
Add ZUK Z2 tho.

Zuk Z2?

Shitty community outsides of China, no real support.
Also camera is even worse than the Axon 7.

Anyone have the zuk 2 pro? reviews im seeing are showing impressive camera results, and the xda forums for it seem pretty live.

>What is zukfans.eu/community/forums/zuk-z2.5/
There's four different custom ROMs flavours around.
Before I need to get advantage of the support this thing will be outdated its really solid you can't bend it. And I have a silicone case.
Camera is okay for 240€ imo.
Sry only non pro here.

I forgot to mention the Non-pro version doesn't support the 4G-band 20, which is essential for LTE here.

Only the Pro version features band 20, but the Zuk Z2 Pro is definitely overpriced for what it is worth.

Is Lucky Patcher a botnet?

It has a snapdragon 820.
Eeh fuck. I actually didn't have LTE since I have it - about a month. but frequency checker told me it's fine...