ITX is the future— and the future is now

ITX is the future— and the future is now.

Unless you're buying two video cards, there's no reason to build a desktop larger than mini ITX. None whatsoever.

Got two cards? microATX is the largest you should go, period.

People building a PC right now in ATX, god forbid in full towers, are fucking idiots, as are all people recommending this behaviour

Hard drives, as well. Getting a standard 1tb storage HDD? They make them in small 2.5" form factor now, same reliability and performance, similar price, literally no reason for all those 3.5" drives and bays wasting room

I really get sick of people, here and elsewhere, telling new builders who want a simple and nice system "you gotta go ATX bro, it's the standard!"

ITX isn't even expensive anymore

>buying video cards at all

>buying hdds at all

>I really get sick of people
Good. I hope you get so sick you die.

Fuck you, OP. I like my full tower.

>not getting a m.2 1TB SSD

OP confirmed for poors

>buying at all

>not living as an aestic buddist monk in the mountains of Tibet goml

We really need a form factor smaller than ITX to become an industry standard. Boards like those used in NUC and BRIX systems should be socketed and standardized.

I don't see a reason to build a desktop at all.
Want power? Buy a top-end Lenovo/Dell/Macbook laptop and enjoy your i7 with 16GB(up to 64GB for Lenovo) RAM and be portable at the same time.
Want more GPU power? Buy a eGPU.
Want to go nuts? Build a rack.

>OP is the reason innovation has stagnated
You should be genocided

I bought an ITX system. Fucking meme.

Pain to cool due to lack of space. Too loud stock, no doubt due to needing more fan power to push air through a crowded case. Pain to work on, due to being so tiny. I use a lot more than one terabyte, you bet your ass I need 3.5 HDDs. It gives me peace of mind to know that I can add more drives, expansion cards, and what have you, even if I don't wind up doing it.

And lastly, I'm not living in a capsule hotel in downtown Tokyo. Fitting an ATX mid-tower on or under my desk is not difficult. I am not under enough space pressure that it's worth the bother of going ITX over ATX. I'd wager it's the same for you.

Mini-STX is what your looking for.

>Want power? Buy a top-end Lenovo/Dell/Macbook laptop and enjoy your i7 with 16GB(up to 64GB for Lenovo) RAM and be portable at the same time.
It's not the same. I have a top-end 2015 15" rMBP and a newly built 6700k tower and the tower regularly kills my rMBP in speed despite booting from a slower SSD.

Remember when it used to be pretty common on Sup Forums to see people ripping on mactards and "minimalists" in general over shit like this and now the board seems to be full of people like OP literally throwing a tantrum over half a cubic foot of space?

I can't wait for the minimal meme to die again.

That's interesting. What's the exact reason? Better CPU/GPU?

Oh, this desk is so clattered. Instead of a keyboard and a mouse there shall be a single GLASS KEYBOARD!

I personally dont think there's anything wrong with liking minimalism, or a "clean" desk, and if that makes you happy then go for it. I still like having larger towers (as stated for cooling purposes and being easier to work on) and books/papers/etc on my desk.

Am I the only one that keeps notepads to write shit down in or scrap pieces of paper to doodle on at hand all the time? Even though I can type way faster than I can write, its just not as satisfying to write my ideas down in a word document, it needs to be pen/paper

we can do better.

make the glass the keyboard, monitor and mouse. All you need is a desk. In fact, lets just get rid of the desk and imagine we're on a computer.

Well there's a few things that factor into it.

- Generally, desktop CPUs are more powerful than their mobile counterparts, even at the same clock speed.
- The 6700k is 4.0Ghz (w/o OC) while the rMBP is 2.5Ghz.
- Much greater thermal headroom. My tower's CPU idles at 21-25°C and is rarely seen exceeding 40°C where the rMBP idles at 50°C can hit upwards of 90°C when running full tilt, getting into throttling territory.

Full fledged desktops will have a huge leg up on mobile machines in terms of performance for a long time to come.

>up to 64GB for Lenovo

Are you talking about RAM?

Wall-mounted MS Surface Studio looks like a good solution.

what the fuck else would he be talking about

probably. The new macbooks top out at 16GB. Some review site asked Apple about this, and they said it was for power-conservation reasons.

which is really what was getting at, too. Ultimately the performance you can get from a computer is limited by the power and thermal envelope you can give it.

I wouldn't call i7 a "mobile processor" even if it is inside a laptop. Same architecture, same caches etc.
rMBP has 2.9 with Turbo Boost up to 3.8 GHz. Not so far from your 4.0 GHz, and you won't use all this power all the time.

I'm not saying that you don't need a tower PC, but most people I know don't need to run heavy computations, and for compilation you don't care about overheating — it doesn't take so long to compile even a big java project.

But I want space, thats why I moved from shitty laptops to powerful 30cm+ graphics cards.

>for compilation you don't care about overheating — it doesn't take so long to compile even a big java project.
I disagree. I do iOS dev work and am constantly compiling + running apps in the eternal tweak -> run cycle. Most of the time stuff is cached between compiles but occasionally I'll have to switch branches or something else that blows cache away, prompting a full recompile, and that can take a good 2-3 minutes on my rMBP. My tower can do the same in less than a minute.

It might sound minor but the lost time adds up quick.

a lot of the mobile i7s aren't really i7s anyway, they're 2c4t chips that would more properly be called i3s.

Don't get that though. You simply put shit under the desk. It doesn't look any more cluttered than those stupid iMacs.

Small builds have no inherent advantage unless you live in some sort of shoebox apartment and absolutely can't spare the space for a larger case or are making something like a HTPC and want it to "fit in" with your living room. A larger case on the other hand has better cooling, allows more expansion options, has better cable management and is generally easier to work with and build in.

Any real work seems to be themally stressful for quite a few modern laptops with i7s crammed inside. I don't know about "gaming" laptops, maybe those have some actually capable cooling, but my Dell business laptop I use at work (in a docking station) routinely hits 90C+ at 50-60% CPU load with only desktop shit running, so not much at all going on GPU-side. It's fucking pathetic.

>None whatsoever.
I want more than one hard drive.

>2016
>existing
>he hasn't ascended to the great consciousness yet

Nah standard Atx is nice. I also really like mid towers. Just enough room to make it easy to work on and move cables. While Not a fan of full towers I assume someone actually utilizes the space efficiently somewhere.

I went with a mini-itx with my 1080 build. It works "fine", but you give up a lot of tiny conveniences and every day I wonder why I went with it at all, since it's not like I'm space limited.

basically

I feel your pain, bro.

I wonder: is it possible to be productive on a configuration of "mediocre notebook + heavy-duty server"? I.e. run Xcode or Atom on the desktop to edit files over ssh, compile everything on the server and stay cool. You got the idea. Have anyone tried such a setup?

>I don't know about "gaming" laptops, maybe those have some actually capable cooling,
the twelve-pound monsters can just about keep desktop CPUs and (some) GPUs cool. (cool being defined as "doesn't throttle")

Soon, when Trump causes Third Impact and we all become LCL.

ITX is the future.

>all that empty space

I bet you're one of the people who makes those threads complaining about how headphone jacks make phones too thick

Nah, this is just my lan box. My main rig is a 650d thats custom water cooled and heavy as shit to carry around.

>lan box
I miss when LAN parties were a thing

widespread broadband has brought us many great things, but it didn't come without cost. Then again games today aren't ideal for LANning like Quake 2 and AoE were.

Find some friends user. and lan parties can be a thing.

Mini-STX is better if your not a gaymer.

Mini ITX cases all look like shit and I enjoy the prospect of being able to actually upgrade my system as time goes on. We're not all retards who only use our computers as expensive gaming consoles and facebook machines.

>tfw got married and lost all my friends

Fucking sucks. Had to move so we could continue our education, but I've zero friends now.

And I've got a 4690k+GTX970 in an SG05B that I used to use to LAN with my friends. Good times.

Now I'm sad.

There's no reason to push for ITX over ATX though, those who need ITX already know why they need ITX, those doesn't know why they need ITX are better with ATX.

>ITX
Good idea but not very upgradeable.

custom sound cards and M.2, PCI_E SSD's exist

So nope
I like ATX better.
besides i don't move my PC anywhere.
I don't feel the need to move to a hotter and less ventilated PC

ITX cases work if you buy a case that's good.

Granted you can't SLI something or add in a another PCI card, but this will fit anything you can throw at it save for the biggest cards even ATX cases have problems with.

I've owned one for a long time now. Xeon, water cooled, 8 GB RAM and a 950. 240GB storage on 2 SSDs.

Not more much I could want. If I need extra storage, I could either upgrade to a larger SSD, remove my watercooling, and add in the HDD cage, or with the money, build a network storage unit.

Really, it does come at a cost, but only when you want to be a heavy enthusiast. For most people who just want a well built machine, you can't go wrong with an ITX.

How would I have my sound card, video card, IOdrive, onboard m.2, and 10gig SFP+ card on an ITX board?

>what is airflow

>need firewire for pro audio interface
fuck off i like my expansion slots. i dont live in a shoebox. ill buy fuck off sized PCs forever.

Dan case can fit even the longest cards.

>only two z170 itx mobos that don't have a gayass red/black color scheme

I'm alright with the evga z170 stinger for now, but I feel like I'm gonna regret not having m.2 in the near future

but still, the lack of options as far as both mobos, cases, and coolers is killing itx right now. I love my small powerful lunch boxes but I doubt they'll be terribly popular in the future

I have a Silverstone SG05. I paid premium for the CPU cooler, PSU, case and motherboard just to have a smaller case. Next time I'll be buying an ATX case again. Fuck this.

>thinking the i number means anything

wew

bigger = easier to build, fix and upgrade. why make it smaller? I can't think of a single reason unless you live in a cubicle.

So wait
Hold up
If I have 6 HDDs, right
and I have a 360mm radiator
what kinda form factor should I go with ?

fuck off with your manlet trash

Are there any mini ITX cases that can hold my NH-D15? I want one, but I got this big CPU cooler.

Be careful of what you asked for. You can't back out.

Neat. Is that yours or just a random photo?

A random photo. It's a Fractal Node 304.

>no reason to build a desktop larger than mini ITX. None whatsoever.
Price sounds like a good enough reason to me.

>there's no reason to build a desktop larger than mini ITX. None whatsoever.
larger, quieter fans, that keep components cooler

smaller fans are louder, everyone knows this

>2016
>not realizing you're a non dual entity neither existing nor non-existing

this

>64GiB of RAM
>a fucking personal laptop

Jesus Christ, when we went from 512 MiB to this?

>MicroATX
Fuck off with this meme

>but you give up a lot of tiny conveniences
Like what?

>Too loud stock, no doubt due to needing more fan power to push air through a crowded case.
But based Luke proved that cable management (and general case crowding) was a meme.

You can have 120 or 140mm fans in mITX cases.

minimalism is cucoldry at its best, paying more for less, just like these tiny ass mechanical keyboards, retards paying 200$ more for a keyboard lacking basic functions like F-keys, then they rice them out with disgusting rainbow keycaps and call it "practical", sure nigga nothing beats pressing 4 keys at once to get a basic function i have on a separate key.

same with cases, i wont pay more for some ITX bullshit, i need to swap hard drives, have few of them etc., at the same time im not living in some japshit tiny ass flat so i can spare little fraction of space for PC tower.

Point taken, considering the horrendous looking Nox Lanbx, but since I got a Corsair H50 lying around, it's great that I can use it on this. Just push the heat right out of the case instead of letting it linger with the 4790k's stock cooler

but itx boards are more pricey desu, i would go for mATX

Best of luck with the future. My hands are so mongloid-large that full size cases are just comfy to work on. Anything smaller and I'm bending cables in goofy positions and all sorts of other dumb shit.

You go on without me, bright, beautiful little future. I am Hodor and need big clunky shit.

Ever thought that people might put other stuff than graphic cards in their computers? Like NICs or other interface cards? Some people also just like having some space in their system which makes it easier to maintain and clean.
ITX is a very nice form factor, but it's not for everyone.

What about those who want to carry their desktop to a LAN party, or like in my case, have it in the bedroom when gayming alone, in the living room when gayming with others be it through emulator or another fighting game, or take it to my dad's studio for audio work?

einstein never said that