/wt/- Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches.
Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

omegaforums.net/threads/to-co-axial-or-not-to-co-axial-or-is-it-a-case-of-back-to-the-future.27893/
watchmakingblog.com/2010/05/03/omega-co-axial-training/
amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B000EQS1JW/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what kind of watches do kids like, what's best to give to them while grooming them to get them to like you?

>what should i give a kid while grooming them?

looking for a military/flieger 38mm or less below $100 and with black face and large luminous hands, has to show day of the month too

don't care if mechanical/quartz, no digital either, already got this casio 5600:

This kind of Seiko 5? Should be about 60 bucks

Why do you guys hate Squale so much?
The 50 Atmos seems like a damn nice watch in its price range and has that cool light blue color.

Just ordered. How did I do?

t. tgv

Where is my best bet to buy a Seiko SCVE003?

Pic related.

this is my favorite cheap watch i have

Best $50 i ever spent desu

Time machine

Yahoo jp stores have them I believe.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

yep, sometimes they pop up new on ebay for like $50-55

if it's your first enjoy your new watch obsession

I really like Vostok's bezels, they all have a vintage russian look to them

I sold this exact setup to someone on ebay in April.... Are you from the north east?

can someone id these two?

Anyone know where to get a replacement Accutron 2 seconds hand? Only place I've found them was some kike charging $30 on memebay.

make a offer for 20 or suck it up

(((You)))

>Hi there!
>You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
>Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

poorfag

There's selling uncommon replacement parts, and then there's price gouging.

A cheap Chinese watcg

The numerals are weird with that case and those hands. With just indices (and no lume dots) it would be a nice dress watch.
Other than that detail, it looks good.

Just dropping by while i wait for something to happen out here

Need a new crystal for mine.
Rumors are true. Shit crystal.
I have vintage watches with better glass

What do you mean by shit crystal?

Any recommendations for suit watches under 200€. Should look good with brown leather straps

Halloween as James Bond

How much does watch service cost?

HMT Kohinoor
Luch One Hand

Depends on the complexity of the movement. Obviously a full service of a chronograph is more work than a regular 3-hander.

Regular 3-hander

Hi there!

sark003

Not worth the full price imho. Maybe if it were $500 cheaper.

Only definite way would be to take it to a good watchmaker and ask how much a service would be. I'd say don't be surprised if a full service ends up being $100-$200 or maybe more, depending on the movement.

What? The watch costs $20 on eBay, used. How is this possible?
(Yes, it's mechanical)

Spoilers: doing a full service is a good amount of work. Taking it apart, cleaning it, relubricating, etc. Might not be that much, but you'd have to take it to a watchmaker to know.

That said it's probably not worth servicing a $20 watch.

Hi there!

>fake wire lugs

Why exactly do you guys hate co axial movements so much? So what if your service is slightly more expensive than normal, if you're only bringing your watch in every 8 years or so? I'm not meming, serious question.

Also still waiting on answers for this pls

>Why exactly do you guys hate co axial movements so much?
From an engineering standpoint, they're are exceptional. Really, they are, no one dares doubt that fact or dispute it.The catch is, for the average consumer, or even watch enthusiast that doesn't take it 1000% seriously, then there's little difference between your bog standard Lever Escapement Chronometer movement, and your Co-axial Chronometer, they're both going to keep near perfect time.

But a co axial will go for (at the very least) 5 years without a service, meanwhile a Rolex or JLC movement will start losing time around 4 years, and will have serious wear around 8.
Are they so disliked because only Omega can service them? Do they usually charge up the ass?

The problem is that it has to be serviced every 2-3 years, rather than every 5-10.

>But a co axial will go for (at the very least) 5 years without a service
And will cost significantly more to then service, mostly by the fact that less watchmakers will handle co-ax movements.
It's not that only Omega can service them, but Omega are very picky about watchmakers that are certified to service them.

The really short version:

1) They are extremely difficult to service correctly because they were supposed to need lube but actually do and the slightest error in line amount or type and the movement will eat itself.

2) they offer no substantive improvement in accuracy vs a standard ETA 2892-A2

3) they are MUCH more sensitive to tolerances than a traditional escapement and are quite likely to eat themselves if anything goes wrong.

4) Omega implemented co-axial purely for marketing rather than horological reasons.

>4) Omega implemented co-axial purely for marketing rather than horological reasons
Might be worth expanding a bit on that, considering the conversion of movements vs the design of new movements based around the co-axial system.

When I get home I'll re-look up all the info on that. It's been a while so I don't remember the details off hand.

But compare a seamaster 300 to a sub
The latter is cheaper to service, but is 3x as expensive.

Sorry, but modern Omegas are totally unworthy of comparison to Rolex.

And whys that?

Because Rolex designs and manufacturers their watches to a MUCH higher quality standard than Omega does.

If you examine examples from.both companies up close side-by-side it becomes glaring my obvious just how much better Rolex quality is.

And I say that as someone who doesn't like modern Maxi-case Rolexes at all by the way.

Just to start here are a couple of good resources on the subject:

omegaforums.net/threads/to-co-axial-or-not-to-co-axial-or-is-it-a-case-of-back-to-the-future.27893/

watchmakingblog.com/2010/05/03/omega-co-axial-training/

I don't disagree with you. I dislike Rolex but they're experts at what they do, with maybe only JLC, ALS and Patek being directly comperable.
A seamaster 300 is 80% the watch a sub is though, for like 30% of the price. I would say thats a damn good tradeoff.

If the Seamaster is anything like the AT then it sure as hell isn't 80% of Roles quality.

I've handled an AT up close and the quality level is honestly a fucking joke for the price. The bracelets are especially bad.

Got a new 17 rubis incabloc dress watch for €35. I googled the strap it came with and it sells for €39 new

What cheap Chinese quartz watches are "good"? Fake DW? Fake Nomos? Yazole?

if you want a """"decent"""""" watch you will have to spend more than 3 dollars.

I have low standards. I mean one that looks OK, I don't think generic Chinese quartz watch #7182 is more accurate than generic Chinese quartz watch #7183.

All you fucking idiots wasting your money on junk when you should be buying Rolexes

>doesn't own a Rolex
>says we should be buying Rolexes

You first, senpai

Can I get an ID?

Is 164$ CAD a nice price for this?

amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B000EQS1JW/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Citizen BM8180-03E

I would love to take a SNK803 and throw a hadley roma leather strap onto it, but I don't want to have to deal with getting it serviced in a few years. I know it seems ridiculous for someone to feel this way, but I like to do things myself - cut my own hair, put my own PC together, change watch battery, etc

are there any similar watches with a beige face that don't look like dogshit?
alternatively, would taking a mass-produced mechanical watch like this to a watchmaker or jeweler even cost much to get the movement regulated? or would it outweigh the initial cost from purchasing it ( watch costs $50, but service costs $80 or something like that?)

Hello /wt

Most Seiko 5 are never serviced because servicing them is more expensive than buying a new one.

If you never plan on servicing a mechanical watch you probably won't have a functional watch to pass down to your son in 70 years, but it should be ticking in like 20 years as it slowly grinds to dust on the inside. Similar to the fact that most modern cars can easily go 60-100+ thousand miles having never received an oil change. It's just once you've done that there's significant damage. But if you could buy cars for 50 dollars I'm sure everyone would be doing it.

Regulating it is something you can very easily do yourself if you want to experiment, and can help improve its timekeeping. Especially over the years because watches tend to run fast as the oil dissipates over the years and you're not servicing it.

did you read that outloud to yourself after typing it?

No?

I don't think I've ever typed something out and read it outloud to myself afterwards

> falling for the you're not a man unless you pretend you have somewhere to be meme

??

So you're saying you have nowhere to be?

Penis Power reporting in

A manager at my office managed to destroy the engine in her Mazda3 after 6 years of no oil changes and about 80,000 km (50k miles). I was actually amazed the car lasted that long with such a neglectful owner, and even more amazed that the dealer didn't try selling her oil changes every time she got her winter tires changed over.

See

Hi there!

Fuck off nineball is cool

>Hi there!
>You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
>Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
Hi there!

Thanks for reaffirming my presence. Now I will never leave. You can't take just one, you gotta have both.

Ok that's fine

Hi there!

Every removed post is grounds for me to repost it.

that'll show em

People insist on shitting up the thread so I'll give them what they want: a shit thread.

Happy Halloween.

You were looking at the cheapo AT.
And in general the seamaster line has tiers, with the 300 being high mid. Keep in mind that I think Omega is shit, but they have a few good pieces.
Just get a casio dude

Who cheap James Bond here?

I want something that doesn't look like absolute shit. (Pic related is a $5 fake DW)

>I want something that doesn't look like absolute shit. (Pic related
So you want something that DOESN'T look like your pic?

Green map a best. Steel version never ;_;

> (You)
>I want something that doesn't look like absolute shit. (Pic related is a $5 fake DW)
If you're implying that Casio makes ugly watches then you need to go fuck yourself

You wish. It was the blue dialed co-axial and the case, dial, and especially bracelet quality were obviously inferior to a Seiko Brightz, much less a modern Rolex.

Modern Omega's are pleb-catchers where the money is spent on advertising and product placements rather than on the quality of the watches themselves.

>rectangular watch
You're awfully hairy for a woman.

That looks okay. I really dislike digital watches though.

Opinions on this?

It's my first watch and I got it as a birthday gift. I don't know the reputation Medium watches have so I was wondering if it's better to just politely give it back and get something else

>what is a tank

Why do you dislike digitals?