Retro Tech

How many people hereon Sup Forums collect old tech?. Computers, Consoles, Stereo equipment, Studio gear etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

ceu-inc.com/intergr_4d.html.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I find technology older than 5 years old embarrassing. My desktop is just over 5 years old, and it's somewhat embarrassing, but not really because it's an i7 with 32nm technology by Intel.

I have a small amount of PPC macs stashed away in the corner

Same here, upgraded to Skylake and GeForce 1080 recently.

Anyways, retro tech is cool, I love my shitboxes.

OP here, I've never owned a Mac. Are the iBooks comfy?.

iBooks are comfy af

If it's good I'll use it.

No budget monitor can match the blacks of my crt, plus it's 75hz which is better than the 60hz you'll find on a budget panel.

That is a great looking display

>14"
why? 12" is way comfier.

Woah, do you know what model of display/pc those are in the image, user? If that's your setup I'm jealous, it looks fantastic.

No, it's some hipster drawfag.

That's an OK CRT, there are better ones from NEC and LaCie tho, not to forget SGI ones.

>only 75hz
What res?

>some shit ass portable with external screen
>fantastic setup

my fathers friend visited a waste dump today and recovered an mmx 200mhz processor still in its original shrink wrap

these things are selling for ~$100 on ebay in original packaging

That was a good score.

>these things are selling for ~$100 on ebay in original packaging
keep dreamin

Show me one "sold" of this shit on eBay

>"Grandmother, what big screen you have!"
>"All the better to see, my child."

>make retro thread
>does not dump
>4 hrs old thread, 19 replied
why even bother?

Most retrofags aren't your average nolife Sup Forums slobs, they're enjoying Halloween and not sitting in front of a computer.

> dumb terminal posters
orange 4 Halloween edition

what's it connected to?

a shitty slackware pentium III box ; sometimes other things

but 1024x768 at 14" is almost as bad as 1366x768 at 15"

1024x768 was the default res for 17" LCD's for years

I know. And even the 15" one in my G40 hurts my eyes a bit to look at.

Speaking of that laptop, i need to get it a new HDD and somehow clone over it's XP install

What good consumerist drones you are.

Am I the only one who things orange is comfier than green?

>What good consumerist drones you are.
I like gayming, you know, costs money, same like this retro shit.

Yes.

What is the software used in the first photograph you took?

green
>the color of the matrix
>the color of green phosphorus

orange
>the color of oranges
>the color of a taco bell diarrhea shit

doesn't matter, they're all unusable.

>de facto standard for high res monochrome graphics for years
>doesn't matter, they're all unusable.
kek

I am sure there was a reason why they were used, I don't know what that reason is, perhaps something to do with cost. I have however used them, the green and the orange.

No1, they're not high resolution no more than a 14"CRT at 320x240 is high resolution.

No2, they're unusable, they don't just burn on screen they also burn on your eyes.

>I am sure there was a reason why they were used, I don't know what that reason is
Perfect for text/table editing what these machines where made for.

>perhaps something to do with cost.
Sure thing, they didn't bother making 4k IPS panels back in '82, too costly.

>No1, they're not high resolution no more than a 14"CRT at 320x240 is high resolution.
It's 720×350.

>No2, they're unusable, they don't just burn on screen they also burn on your eyes.
Turn the fucking brightness down faggot. Also, false, no more harm than any other CRT based shit.

I rate 2/8, some hipster fag might trigger.

The delusions in this thread are amazing

>filename
obviously not his picture newfriend

>No1, they're not high resolution no more than a 14"CRT at 320x240 is high resolution.
monochrome displays generally were much higher resolution, and also much crisper than color displays

and if they were unusable they wouldn't have used them for decades, they're just not intended to be sat at for 8-9 hours at a time like modern displays

>and if they were unusable they wouldn't have used them for decades

ever heard the expression "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" ??

Plus the people who bought equipment back then more than likely never had to use it. And i wasn't around n the 70s and 80s to know what the alternatives were. Do you know what the alternatives to green screens were?

1600x1200.

I can also do 2048x1536@60hz but 75hz feels much nicer

>ever heard the expression "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" ??
wasn't just an IBM thing though, monochrome phosphor monitors were pretty much universal in business
>Plus the people who bought equipment back then more than likely never had to use it.
not really true either, and even if it was the case, they'd still get feedback from it, no business wants to pay that much out the ass for unusable garbage that saps employee productivity
>Do you know what the alternatives to green screens were?
blotchy low res televisions and color monitors you could only run in 40 columns if you wanted to actually read anything, there's a reason MDA was so ubiquitous and Hercules was such a hit, color displays were fucking ass for information processing work up until around the late '80s really

I have one of these beasts as well but mine is Intergraph branded. The Intergraph model number is 21sd115. Hitachi model number is CM803U. Unfortunately mine needs service. It pulls in from the side until warm. I ssupect failing Capacitors. There is info on my monitor here: ceu-inc.com/intergr_4d.html. The SUN and SGI branded Hitachis of this era should be similar.

Why are you both so triggered? It's a pretty clean setup, doesn't look any different from any of the other hipsterstations that get reposted here.

Luggables are nice.

I really like the aesthetics of these old machines but I can't imagine what I would use one for should I ever buy one.

At least when i buy a model m it will be useable for daily tasks. Could someone explain to me what they use their machines for? Sorry if there is some really obvious point im missing, I haven't really thought this through.

get on my level

I'm not as retro as most of you (my oldest system is an non-working Tandy 286 from 1988.) But I did this a while back.

You know it.

I try to put a lot of my old shit to work on the same stuff they did when they were new. It's a hobby, after all, most of us aren't really using it because it's inherently more practical. It's just fun.

I'm using my old SGI box mostly for just development and information processing stuff, going to give it a spin for VRML content creation too.

I've got a little collection of tricked out PPros going, love the fuck out of those things.

PPro's are an interesting breed. You got any dual/quad PPro boards? I'm interested in how well they perform when paired.

>Ferns
>tfw not falling for the flower meme
>tfw still fully vascular
>tfw seed-cucks will never know the beauty of spores.

I've got a pretty nice dual 512K setup I pieced together from spares and lucky rescues over the years, a dual 256K and two single 256Ks (all 200s) as well. Dunno what I could tell you about the performance comparison though unfortunately, since I haven't used the single-socket boxes enough. I might be able to give you some benchmarks under NT4 though if you're interested, would just have to get it back out of storage when I get home and clear a space for it.

I like that tape drive and CD changer. Where in the hell do you live that you can stumble across two 512K Pro's and a board to boot? I've been collecting this shit for years and only ever come across one PPro, and that was just a couple months ago.

It definitely seems enjoyable to use the machines, I wasn't implying that they must be practical to be fun.
But if I had an old machine I would find it immensely satisfying if I could still use it in a way that is as productive as modern technology. For example using an old CRT as a second monitor or using an old beat up pc as a web browsing/ word processing machine. The machines in this thread are far older than both examples I have given so I was wondering if you guys get use out of them beyond the enjoyment of using them.

But just going through this thread again it seems all this retro tech is very well cared for, still functional and being put to some kind of use beyond decoration so that pretty much answers my question.

There's always the fallback of setting up an old system as a dumb terminal, letting you get use out of it while running everything on a more modern machine. You'd want to do that for web browsing on pretty much anything older than a Core 2 Duo, unless you're running some kind of proxy server that strips or prerenders Flash and Javascript.

Thats pretty sounds pretty cool, thanks for the information user.
Enjoy the comfy pape if you don't already have it.

I don't want to see a dump of the same old shit.

Let the thread breathe.

Seconded. I want to see updates on people's cool retro projects, not the same 15 images we get every thread.

>spores
>ferns
HAHA how cute! If your looking at the spore game everybody knows you go with funigi.

Over the last 8 or so years I've been surfing the recycling pallet at a distribution hub for a big thrift store chain and have gotten lucky every once in a while, pretty much. I'm in the middle of nowhere but there's a lot of tech companies (HP was one of the biggest employers for a while) so I think I'm ending up with a lot of run-off from people taking home old toys from work.

>It definitely seems enjoyable to use the machines, I wasn't implying that they must be practical to be fun.
Of course, I know what you mean.

Old gear will do many of the office-y things you alluded to just fine, documents, spreadsheets, PDFs, whatever. I think the biggest two things I miss in old MSO versions is mostly Excel features like unlimited conditional formatting rules and custom fill colors (which maybe they do have and I'm just retarded) but they're more luxuries than necessities, I guess. For most problems you'd like to solve as a home user or a hobbyist, you can probably accomplish it if you put your mind to it. I've also done a lot of stuff with Mathematica, Photoshop, and Visio.

Web surfing's a little different, and it really depends on what you do. Surfing sites that absolutely depend on JavaScript takes a bit of patience past around early Pentium 4-era gear, and it's pretty much a no-go on Pentium II and older in my opinion. For text stuff though like imageboards and Wikipedia, I've gotten around on PPros/PIIs and a later Pentiums too just fine, you could probably go even further back with enough RAM to throw at it.

There is webrender.py for that kind of stuff, I've never tried to set it up though, I think it still only works on OSX for whatever reason.

Ah yes, office-y is probably the best way I would describe those things and it makes me happy to hear that those things are still doable provided one is willing to go around certain limitations (which is part of the fun of the hobby is it not?).
Thanks for the insight, I might keep an eye out for some retro tech in local shops or on ebay and see what happens.

>it actually is a hipster drawfag
nobody's triggered m8, just telling you

Since I learned my old desktop CRT monitor was a twin to a monitor used with a SGI Onyx system I decided it would be interesting to see what it would look like with the period appropriate OS for when the monitor was made.

SGI used an operating system called IRIX for its MIPS workstation. This monitor was made in 1995, and it would have seen IRIX 6.0 being used on it, and later IRIX 6.5.

I could not find a screenshot of IRIX 6.0 through a cursory google search, so I went ahead and used 6.5. The screen resolution here is 1280x1024, which would have been a good working resolution and considered very high res. The monitor itself can go up to 2048x1536 if you have hardware which can drive it.

Apology for the poor image quality as I don't really buy much electronics as you might guess, so my digital camera is just an old HP cam I found in a thrift store.

>IMG_20160721_185847.jpg
kek, that picture is way older then that

What do people do with their computers nowadays? They are useless facebook machines for most people

I collect old pc's for retro gaming. Got a good LAN setup with lots of 90's stuff.

The monitor has three color modes. I don't know what they are because there is no on-screen display. However, it is my guess they are 9300k, 6500k and User defined.

I have the monitor set to 6500k here, as is my preference. This will look very yellowish a person who is used to the default 9300k color temp of many modern devices. But after a few moments your eyes will adjust and it will look normal.

>he can't even spell 'fungi'

Take your stupid chitin and hyphae and go back to

>no actual updates
>thread would have died ages ago without shitpost bumps

Is that a GDM-FW900?

There's a difference between bumping and dumping.

>I have the monitor set to 6500k here, as is my preference. This will look very yellowish a person who is used to the default 9300k color temp of many modern devices.
modern devices are neutral, warm or cold profiles are only used when needed

As I said, no actual update dumps, just shitpost bumps

>they think those old green monitors are high res

Neutral can be 9300k and "cool" will be even higher than that.

The early-season GDM-F520 has matured to a GDM-FW900. The grower may harvest now for optimum flavor, or allow continued ripening into a WEGA or Grand WEGA should your recipe call for it.

They were high res compared to color displays of the time, and that's what they mean.

Yup, we know it's shit.
Also, no beige pls.

what are you browsing on? a computer from the donation center?

in context they very much were my dumbshit 2D slutposting man, PC monochrome adapters ran at 720×350 while CGA could hit 640x200 at best, that's a big difference at such low overall resolutions

SE/30s are pretty great though, I'd kill for one to run A/UX on.

There may be three, possibly four of us.

It was advertised as warmer and easier on the eyes at the time. I'd probably prefer it if I hadn't grown up with a green screen IBM PC.

My first XT came with an amber display, kind of found it uncomfortable. Maybe it was the contrast filter, or general quality of the display though.

some of my retro shit, I'll be selling most of it as I need the money. Anyone want a Kaypro II?

How are you gonna sell it? Kind of want to try getting rid of some excess but shipping is a bitch as much as finding a good home for it it seems.

I've been in a retro computer group on facebook for awhile and it seems people will pay decent money for certain stuff. I know the Kaypro's can go for hundreds of bucks since they are pretty rare. Shipping is indeed a bitch so asking the right amount will pretty much be the biggest factor. If no one bites on facebook I'll try on eBay as there are a lot of collectors who browse there.

i have a mac classic on my desk, in pieces. the motherboard had rotted away due to the power supply caps leaking, so i pulled that shit out, giggled briefly at the 68000 soldered to the motherboard, and i'm trying to wedge a tiny Lenovo netbook into the shell. as soon as i can work out a way of turning the thing on without having to open the netbook and press the power button i'll have something to take to Starbuck's and pretend to write novels on that will make the millennials die of envy.

You where doing so good, sad to see you sell it.

Sup Forums BBS server, WHEN?

Are you aware that there's a huge rat on your desk, user?

68000 where normally soldered onto, even '020 and '030, socket became a standard around when '040 hit the market.

How badly was it corroded? I have fixed some pretty fucked up boards.

Where do you live?

I own a hacked Xbox and PS3, I got Linux running on both of them. PS3 makes a good server.

OP said old tech like consoles and both those machines are more than a decade old.