/hpg/ - Headphone General

/hpg/ - Headphone General

Happy Halloween you nerds.

~*-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --*~
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php
trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/5855
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNro8yRZ000
youtube.com/watch?v=ADoSHHCBc4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

With a soft budget of $100 and a hard budget of $150 what is a good desktop amplifier to power headphones and Polk T15s?

Are surround sound 7.1 audio headphones a meme?

Yes. A bad one at that.

Yes, unless you have 7 ears.

Yes. The headphones actually do nothing. Its entirely driver based. Whether those are installed on your PC or are done via a dongle/adapter is up to your choice.

Seems like the best place to ask.
I have YST-FSW100 subwoofer, pic related.

Manual says it needs a line level input.

Can I just hook it up to the amplifier's recorder out?

the mesh/screen/filter whatever falls out from earphones
>what do
>is it bad using earphones without them
This shit constantly happens when I try to clean any earphones with a cotton swab, why the fuck aren't these screens metal and melted into the plastic

Small question for you mates.

As people who spend hundreds of dollars on quality headphones, do you wear the same in public or opt in for cheap, low quality IEMs instead?

>tfw imagining a fatso with HD600 blasting autistic music through his open back headphones on public bus

$1000+ headphones here, got $200 IEMs

>$1000 headphones
tell me a story user

I wouldnt take any of my full sized headphones out because thats an easy way to get mugged/shit stolen. IEMs are good because theyre discreet and a lot harder to just grab and run.

Do you need some kind of amplifier or something for Sony HDR 7506s?

No.

I'm not a faggot iThing's generation child, then I don't listen to music in public to show off my stuff. Pardon my rudeness.

Are they shitty headphones to listen music on? My buddy is giving me his tomorrow. Not sure what to expect.

They sound good to every person that doesn't mind random treble spikes and not overwhelming bass.

No cables are too long for the most part.

I used to have monster headphones that were fucking disgusting. Bass was just so incredibly blown out and sounded like an overall disaster. It washed out every thing else.

Sony MDR 7506 is a different planet from that.

HD 800 at home, ER-4S on the go. ER-4S is the better sounding one but I prefer circumaural open back for comfort over the canalphones and I use EQ with both.

>Budget
60$/55€
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Mp3 player, android, pc.
>Preferred type of headphone
In-Ear
>Comfort level
Comfortable, will be using them in bed.
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-V6
Koss Porta Pro
ATH-AD700X

Mainly looking for decent isolation.

I have about $1200 of audio gear, I prefer to use $10 JVC marshmallows when oot and aboot
They're not shit, they're cheap and they're disposable, that's why I buy IEMs so that's why I buy $10 ones

Reporting in with my £52 headphones and £37 dacamp

Good pair of headphones on a $120 budget?

Decent amp but those headphones are shit, bassy, gaming tier.

Buy hd600's if you can ever afford them.

Price range: 50$-65$
Type: closed
I need something with a detachable cable.

I have a ATH-M30 I bought a few years ago. Anyone have any thoughts on them? Should I upgrade?

>Should I upgrade?
Why, are you not satisfied with how they sound? Are they broken in some way?

I dunno. I feel like they're getting softer and occasionally I hear crackling.

>Budget
Below 100$
>Country
Not US but it's not relevant since things are more expensive here and I prefer to buy online.
>Source
Only PC.
>Preferred type of headphone
Anything that isn't an IEM. I'm tired of In-Ear.
>Open or closed
Better closed, I live with other people
>Comfort
Comfy/10 enough to wear them for hours. I don't have big ears so I doubt it's much of an issue, but there's also weight.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral if possible.

I skip previous headphones because most are extreme poorfag stuff.
I've been looking at Sony's MDR-7605 and MDR-V6 for a while but I heard that both have a shitty frec spike somewhere. Also lookin' at the Senns HD280.
I'm going to use the headphones for listening different genres of music and learning SONAR.
Also looking for something that lasts a couple of years.

Could be the connection, either the plug or the cable.

HM5/XPT100 or Takstar Pro 80 if you can still find it for sub-100. HyperX Cloud I is the same thing with a detachable mic, plus a couple other accessories, and should cost about 70 bucks. Add HM5 pads for maximum comfy.

Oh yeah I also looked at the XPT100s. They look good enough for me.
The other two are quite expensive at the moment though.

Do headphones get a decent price slashing in Black Friday? Because maybe it's smarter if I wait until then to buy something better. After all, it is in 26 days.

Are these any good? If I drop $50 more what can I get for good quality?

M40X if you stretch real hard, or HM5/XPT100. This is assuming you want closed.

/hpg/ What headphones are Huma Abedin Using ?

and has she dropped the 3.5mm TRS like the rest of the dark beings of the underworld ?

I bring HD800's out in public, try and stop me.

Does ReplayGain fuck with dynamics?

>tfw no huma gf

Jaybird X2.

I tried them and found them uncomfortable with every size of earbud and fin.

Just got Bose Soundsport and they are comfy as hell and sound great with better isolation than the X2s.

The Jaybird X2s are wireless.

From this vague and blurry picture, she could be wearing anything with an ear structure support like the Parasom R2, Vomach Earhook, or Honstek X7.

Oh yeah fuck I am retarded.

We're all retarded, user.

Will ticking Prevent Clipping in Peace be enough to save my nutsack?

>in uni
>left ear starts ringing for 5 seconds

Is this the start of the end

That happens to me all the time. If you didn't have those before now, you have a gift. I've been told that the ringing is a cluster of nerves in your ear dying or something. You've got plenty left though.

Nevermind, I was lied to.

>When the outer hair cells put energy back into the vibration, it’s called positive feedback or “saturation feedback”. The process is meant to amplify very quiet sounds more so than loud ones. Most of the time, it works great and you go on with your life, not noticing anything out of the ordinary. However, biological systems aren’t always flawless. Occasionally, the amplification level of one or more outer hair cells will go awry and as a result, the whole system will erupt into spontaneous oscillation.

It's not harmful.

Nice. I have always been careful with playing volume too loud so I was scared for a moment.
Usually at 35/120 (no eq) from X3ii to SE535.

Same here. I don't understand how my friends can listen to their shitty gas station headphones at full volume when I can barely go over half before i start to worry about my hearing. And my hearing is STILL declining. Fuck my life.

>tfw leather dude blasting metal music through IEMs(!!!!) loud enough whole bus can hear

I witnessed it myself.

Okay, I think i'm going mad here.
Been switching from 32bit 44.1 to 192khz for 20 minutes through direct sound of windows10
wasapi another story, why does "push" sound better than "event"?

so 192 defiantly sounds better than 44.1 high and mids are the same but bass is muddy at 44.1
why? can anyone try and tell me i'm not mad?

Testing on hd600s.

closed headphones?

I never used closed.
And my hearing got better, seriously some magic - I can hear what happens in the kitchen 10m away now with headphones on at moderate volume. Couldn't before.

Some bad implementations of it yes. If it works correctly, it just adjusts average volume of the tracks played and doesn't adjut volume within the track.

Sampling rates of 44.1 KHz and above won't have an effect on sound on itself, especially not on the low frequencies. Something else is going on assuming this isn't just your head playing trickery with you. Headphones you use are irrelevant as should be the API(unless there's a bug of some sort).

I once used the Astro MixAmp which was hooked up to my PC using optical SPDIF. I could feed it with different sample rates and the sound would be drastically altered depending on the setting that was used. It was almost like switching between different EQ presets in media players. I never understoond what caused it.

>can anyone try and tell me i'm not mad?
I feel the same way but other fucks don't understand so I keep it to myself

Just ordered a Jotunheim/w balanced DAC.

Forgot to mention I'm the same user who told you to use WASAPI. But I fucking hate people who upscales to DSD64 or DSD128 and etc. Those ppl are fucking idiots.

direct sound is software mixing (fucking with the sound so you can run you bluetooth headset between browser and games seamlessly)

wasapi is bit for bit perfect audio meaning you are tied to that aplication (superior)

anything else you here is related to dithering (how things are resampled between bitrates)

when you chuck all 3 in you will get confused....

tldr source is everthing

get back to the purest sorce

For any european citizen looking for a good open headphone, Amazon.it has some nice deals right now:
1) Sennheiser HD598 special edition (the black one) : 119€
2) AKG K701: 148 €
3) AKG K702: 149€

Αre sub 50$ in-ears a meme?Should I even bother with any of them or just save more money to buy more expensive ones?

>Have genetic tinnitus
>Work in poorly db-regulated warehouse
>Banking on roborg ears/medical tech advancements
>DT770s
Turn it the fuck up

we dyin' anyway.

> bass sounds muddy
> hd600

I'm able to get these decently cheaper, are they any gud?

They're decent, but extremely overpriced.

Do you guys use any bars visualizer while listening to music? Do you think that watching a visualizer while listening to music is a safe, reliable way to check how close the headphone is to the source?

How would that work?

Consider the height of the bars and try to figure out whether your heapdhones reproduce the different frequencies at the expected volume. Of course it's not an accurate way to measure the heaodhone's frequency response, but at least you can see which frequencies are louder compared to what the visualizer shows.

You can't possibly hope to do analysis in real time with graphic visualizations while using music which is extremely an complex and wide bandwidth waveform. I use one but only for interest. Your best way to analyze the headphone's neutrality is to listen to a logarithmic sine sweep through the audible frequency range(roughly 20-20 000 Hz) of frequencies and spot any difference in volume while the pitch goes up(peaks or dips of louder or quieter sound).

> logarithmic sine sweep
Where do I find one? I know that audiocheck.com has some files to test headphone, but they din't have a complete file sweep. I need something to indicate the exact frequency while it's rising.

That's like doing monitor color calibration by comparing it to a shitty printout of a color table.

well, you could. but you really shouldn't. line out is just an analog output of the audio, the output of the amp can be to loud and blow the circuit..
if you don't turn it up to 11 you'll be fine though

You could build it in parts from audiocheck, preferably a sweep that is slow enough for easily find out what is going on in the higher frequency range. Sinegen is a program which lets you adjust a sine tone frequency by yourself. Not sure where you can create a sine sweep without paying. Some DAW programs probably let you if you know how but I can't be of help here.

You can but your subwoofer's volume wont be adjusted while you turn the amplifier's volume knob to adjust the loudspeakers. If you do this connection, remember to use very low volume on the sub as full line level signal is going to get amplified by an extreme amount on the sub's end. I accidentally hooked my sub such a way once. Didn't break anything but fuck me was it loud. Sub is rated at 111 dB max but that was way louder and distorted.

What about this log sine sweep here?
audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php

That 20 second sweep is good.

Unfortunately there's no way I can tell which frequency is being played though. Are there free and reliable spectrum visualizers that tell the exact frequency played?

Oscilloscope

Honestly though this is why Sinegen is useful. You know exactly what frequency is being played when you adjust the slider.

Ok thank you.

wasapi in mphc for videos? can it fuck up synchronization?

Sony MDR-7506,
Little bass-heavy but they sound nice

there's a good man. i wear akg k712 pros and carry an o2 amp

Is Etymotic ER-4 the most balanced sounding audio product in production today?

Were you successful in doing it? I'm having troubles with making it play in exclusive mode. Because the crackle and pops. I'm using the latest mpchc nightly and both latest lav filter + madvr.

Another person is having trouble with it here trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/5855

How to change buffer for mpchc?

Certainly has the most neutral response and best accuracy on the diffuse field without the aid of equalization. To me that means a very balanced sound but "balanced" is still somewhat subjective. The ER-4B, S/SR, PT and XR are all slightly different but the tonality is close to one another. IMO the best sounding headphones/in-ears on the market at any price.

Are there non wireless Bose around ear headphones anymore?

I tried to look in the website but all the gears with wire seems to be discontinued.

You can use the modern Bose headphones with wires(comes in the package) if you so desire but why Bose?

I tried some Bose in a department store and I liked how it sounded. However I don't need wireless function. I also consider getting a Panasonic model.

I think they could use a boost in the bass so theres more impact, cause they sound flat as hell, in a bad way. maybe its cause my pads are shot.

Are you sure? The bass is really heavy
Some distortion however with lower frequencies

I tested a few bass heavy electronic songs. theres plenty of bass, but it gets muddled up with anything else thats going on. the instrument separation is rather poor. good detail, but dull to listen to.
try them with this: youtube.com/watch?v=ZNro8yRZ000
and this: youtube.com/watch?v=ADoSHHCBc4s

worked out of box for me in exclusive mode no artifacts in sound that I can hear

do you have internal audio switcher disabled? if not try that might be a conflict of some sorts

Yes I have it disabled.

The one in the Internal Filters>Audio Switcher>Enable built-in audio switcher filter (requires restart). Yes I have done it also had restarted PC.

What DAC Amp combo do you use?

smsl m6
it has CM6632A async usb chip same as in modi and tons other dacs

O2+ODAC Rev A.

hm, what windows do you use?

Windows 10 Education N.

odac is a bit outdated, better usb chips didn't exist in 2011
mine is usb device with a driver(class 2), might be the problem with class 1 like odac
can you try motherboard sound? if issue is the same then it's mpchc to blame

It's the same on Z97 motherboard.

is this the best for its price

oh, weird
other two little things in playback options
disable windows sound and disable all effect checkbox
no idea what else conflicts