Debian drops PowerPC support

lists.debian.org/debian-release/2016/10/msg00635.html

>The only change from Jessie is the removal of powerpc as a release architecture.

>universal operating system
DEBSHILLS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/ports/index.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You mean Powermac users. I'm sure there are other distros to support this niche "market".

Why support tons and tons of obscure architectures that get maybe 5 installs a month?

Maybe now they can focus on actually getting some software from this decade into debian wheezy

what the fuck has happened to these cunts? are they being arse injected by intel or something

Good.

I'm disappointed, but I knew the writing was on the wall when Debian ditched SPARC.

Sparc just stopped being an official port, it's still supported through the unofficial ports and so will PowerPC.

debian.org/ports/index.en.html

i dont understand , why should anyone care if debian still supports more architectures than basically every other distro? most millennial linuxfags wont even touch a powerpc machine, not to mention windows fags. Also im pretty sure that most applefaggots didnt realize (or care) they could put debian on their old mac.

SJWs happened.

DEBIAN HAS GONE TO SHIT

THEY'VE FULLY SWITCHED TO THE SYSTEMD BOTNET

DEVUAN IS THE NEW DEBIAN FORK WITHOUT SYSTEMD

Debian is pretty popular with PPC Mac users, actually. Macfags who are still using PPC shit (speaking from personal experience) aren't starbucks types and are generally pretty savvy.

WindowMaker Live doesn't use systemd by default either. Not to mention it's a perfect out of the box distro.

Question. I'm using Debian 8.5 stable with Firefox ESR and installed the Flash with flash-plugin-nonfree. Now the browser is telling me to update, but I don't know the right way. I already updated the system and also did update-flash-plugin-nonfree --install like the manual says, but the browser is still not updated.

When I check in the addons tab, it tells me to update Firefox and also to update the plugin, which takes me to the download page of Adobe. I don't think I should update Firefox because you don't need to update the ESR version through the browser right? I guess it could overwrite it with the normal version or something. Shouldn't it be updated from the repositories? What's going on?

Just use the old version then, no point supporting old architectures that are barely used anymore

If you care that much, I'm sure the Debian team would gladly instruct you on how to target that architecture with the new source code

1. use firefox release -> mozilla.debian.net
2. manually download flash in tgz from adobe.com/getflashplayer and unpack the libflashplayer.so to ~/.mozilla/firefox/

who cares when 2 architectures (amd64 and i386) take what, 98% of installs?
could as well just dump everything else while they are at it instwad of wasting resources supporting 20 machines in total

don't forget to
cp -r usr/* /usr

I tried this but I only can get as fas as /.mozilla/firefox/ because then I don't have a user under that. There are only "profiles.ini" and "7etp8wum.default", and inside 7etp8wum.default there's a bunch of shit but nothing named profiles.

>logarithmic scale
why?

>PPC
wew its nothing
I feel like anyone still using sparc/ppc/
has enough know how to just compile from source
hell I even prefer to do it this way when I am building images
for MIPS/ARM targets

>powerpc
What is powerpc ?

old shit

Archfags can't compile.

Because if that graph were the same size on a linear scale, every architecture except amd64 and i386 would be a flat, horizontal line at the bottom.

10+ year old CPUs that can hardly run debian in the first place

Debian is a community project, many of the devs are people who volunteered to take on a ports for one reason or another. Discontinuing the port wont necessarily mean these devs will work on other ports.

>aren't starbucks types and are generally pretty savvy.
Then they know how to deal with it.

Arch Linux doesn't have this problem

Agreed.
The problem is you.

So... by the looks of things, they're keeping ppc64el, which counts some of POWER8 and POWER9, but not the Big Endian variants of these, nor any of POWER7 or earlier. This makes me question what users of POWER7 mainframes are going to be using, and what users of POWER8 and POWER9 in Big Endian mode will be using, given that Debian is no longer an option. Maybe NetBSD?

FFFUUUUUCK

I WAS SAVING UP FOR A POWER8 MACHINE, SO THAT I COULD USE IT WITHOUT GETTING SPIED ON

FUUUCK

>YFW ONLY OLD INTEL HARDWARE HAS NO MANAGEMENT ENGINE AMT BOTNET
>YFW ONLY NEW INTEL HARDWARE HAS PROPER HARDWARE VIRTUALIZATION AND IOMMU

You can still use dual Pentium 3 machines for most non-gaming applications. Actually, you can play most DirectX9/10 games just fine on them if you throw a Radeon 4650 AGP in there.

Arm at the very least is important

I've got a computer with a 14 or 15 year old AMD CPU and 1 GB of RAM that runs Debian rather okay.

POWER8 supports Big Endian and Little Endian mode. Debian will still support ppc64el, which is 64-bit Little Endian PowerPC. It's Big Endian users that are going to be left in the dusk.

The PowerPC CPUs in those old macs had considerably lower performance/watt compared to the original "Core" series. An old athlon 64 might even be somewhat better comparatively.

at least the BSD's still have good support for PPC.

THE HEX HAS SPOKEN

SIX DIGITS

You shall not have them.

>six threes
Now THIS is the power of the G5!

fuck i havea classic apple ti book g4 that i put debian on.... yeah its "slow" but i am actually kinda pissed about this....

it was a niche but a pretty important niche

oh noes what ever will i do now

I'm sure they're probably still usable to an extent but I mean the default setup for Debian is GNOME3 so that's pretty heavy for that. Seems like someone who wanted to keep these older computers running would be better off using a lightweight spinoff. I don't really like the idea of holding back other platforms in favor of old ones either.

I came here for PPC
What did I miss?

Gentoo was a better PPC distro years ago when I used it. Debian has only got worse since then.

Where are you pulling that shit out of? Maybe that's true if you load it full of bloat, but there are lots of people running it just fine on their PPC boxes.

Not that it really matters anyway, 10.4 still kicks the shit out of it for desktop use with a stronger software base and more active targeted development.

elaborate plz i just used debian because i was used to it

Sup Forums what is best best PPC distro in {current year}