/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

archwomen.org/
fusion809.github.io/comparison-of-package-managers/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What distro does she use

Probably Red Hat to go with her red shirt.

install gentoo

That's a funny looking shirt

suse

>image.jpg
go back to plebbit

i've been purposely renaming images to image.jpg just to trigger your autism

First for Slackware

>SJWbian drops PowerPC support
What do SJWs have against PowerPC now?

alias sex "updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; apt-get install condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; apt-get remove --purge condom; make clean; sleep"

womyn does not possess power.

Error: This command has to be run under the root user.

>sister's old T430si from uni running slow as shit
>install Mint on it
>much more responsive
>only thing she doesn't have is some old games, but she barely plays them anymore

God bless Linux for saving old hardware.

Thank you for bringing back memories of Meet'n'Fuck.

thats the arch logo retard

15th for ubuntu

1st for social justice XDDD

holy shit guys what the fuck
you told me to install arch but nothing works
fuck you

the madman actually did it
L O L

on a serious note, what broke

>newbie
>installs Arch

no, yes, yes, yes

Neither Arch nor its derivatives are for beginners.

>falling for the arch meme
>listening to Sup Forums
Get a real distro.

>STUT

What did she mean by this?

>arch
your fault

>arch meme
Ur mum is a meme :DD

Archeschoolkid

Daily reminder that Women matter.
archwomen.org/

do you think if you post it enough it will come true?

THICCCCC

Did u fix the bug? :DD

can someone post the arch logo but it's a fat man
i just need a cheer up

Sorry, women are no sex objects

what's the fastest update method/package manager.

dnf and apt-get seem about the same to me except dnf some some dump reason has to redraw the repos three times after a clean all for upgrade, search and info

Archlinux is made by incompetent weeb devs.

them some egg-ass heads

makes sense

pacman

See fusion809.github.io/comparison-of-package-managers/

>SJWs getting triggered by anime
Text book

Arch is for beginners who want to learn Linux and CLI. It has no other real uses.

this also works thank you

>Arch is for beginners
Yeah, the person he replied to sure fell for your FUD

it obviously is, see: all the edgy kids using it and asking in this thread for help like
>/fglt/ how do i install screenfetch? Im using arch if it matters xD

godsend user
may nice things happen in your life

>>/fglt/ how do i install screenfetch? Im using arch if it matters xD
I know for a fact that you are the one posted that

whore

>Mozilla
>Debian
What next, Sup Forums?

guyzz how can I install atom?
using debian if that matters XDDDDD

pic related, it's me 0.0

Oh i forgot the pic :DDD XPXPXP

Why aren't you using Wayland? Do you really like wierd video artifacts and god-awful animation performance? Don't you like having gestures for your touchpad and a responsive touchscreen? These things are not just for Apple products, ya know?

1. Wyalnd requires systemd, which is large, ineficient, and a security risk.
2. X with an OpenGL compositor is just as good
3. If you have wayland, you are still going to have to run 90% of your programs on X through Xwayland.

The following extra packages will be installed:
adwaita-icon-theme aspell aspell-en at-spi2-core colord colord-data dconf-gsettings-backend dconf-service enchant fonts-dejavu fonts-dejavu-extra gedit-common
geoclue-2.0 gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-peas-1.0 glib-networking
glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-user-guide gsettings-desktop-schemas gstreamer1.0-plugins-base
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-x hunspell-en-us libaa1 libaspell15 libatk-bridge2.0-0 libatspi2.0-0 libavc1394-0 libcaca0 libcairo-gobject2
libcanberra-gtk3-0 libcanberra-gtk3-module libcdparanoia0 libcolord2 libcolorhug2 libcroco3 libdconf1 libdv4 libenchant1c2a libexif12 libflac8 libgirepository-1.0-1
libglu1-mesa libgphoto2-6 libgphoto2-l10n libgphoto2-port10 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common
libgtksourceview-3.0-1 libgtksourceview-3.0-common libgudev-1.0-0 libgusb2 libharfbuzz-icu0 libhunspell-1.3-0 libiec61883-0 libieee1284-3 libjack-jackd2-0
libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libjim0.75 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libmm-glib0 libnotify4 libopus0 liborc-0.4-0
libpam-systemd libpangoxft-1.0-0 libpeas-1.0-0 libpeas-common libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libproxy1 libpython3.4 libqmi-glib1
libqmi-proxy libraw1394-11 librest-0.7-0 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsamplerate0 libsane libsane-common libsane-extras libsane-extras-common libsecret-1-0
libsecret-common libshout3 libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsoup2.4-1 libspeex1 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a libtheora0 libv4l-0 libv4lconvert0 libvisual-0.4-0
libvisual-0.4-plugins libvorbisenc2 libwavpack1 libwayland-client0 libwayland-cursor0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-common libxkbcommon0 libyelp0...

So.... I just tried to install gedit. wtf?

>Why aren't you using Wayland?
is there an equivalent for openbox+tint2 yet?
>Do you really like wierd video artifacts and god-awful animation performance?
i don't use a compositor, i don't want my windows to "animate"
>Don't you like having gestures for your touchpad
keyboard shortcuts are faster and more accurate
>and a responsive touchscreen?
>touching your screen

>Why aren't you using Wayland?
1. Clipboard doesn't work
2. Screenshooter doesn't work
3. I don't like GNOME

Fuck off SJW

What DE / WM are you running?

Is just me or are these threads getting shitter and shitter?

I'm running headless and was planning on just forwarding x11.

It worked with geany. Only two packages. Anyone have a notepad like program that doesn't have a million dependencies? I would use nano/vim, but I kinda like being able to copy with ctrl+a and ctrl+c

notepadqq

it's probably like 1-3 people fighting

lmao, I'm new to GNU/Linux but I have had no problems whatsoever with Arch, neither installaton nor using it. You guys shilling against it are seriously mentally impaired

Apparently not available on debian. I'm checking out leafpad atm

lmao, I'm new to GNU/Linux but I have had no problems whatsoever with Gentoo, neither installaton nor using it. You guys shilling against it are seriously mentally impaired

Just Debian shills, ignore
>Debian
Why do you have to use stupid disros like debian? Get ubuntu or antergos. These have the MOST software supports

gentoo is arguably tougher but the Arch installation takes less than an hour...

>1. Wyalnd requires systemd, which is large, ineficient, and a security risk.
Incorrect, systemd is objectively good.

2. X with an OpenGL compositor is just as good
Also extremely incorrect, there is so much overhead with X that it's much less efficient performance wise than Wayland

>3. If you have wayland, you are still going to have to run 90% of your programs on X through Xwayland.

Like with anything in Linux, it all depends on what apps you choose to use. I'm sticking within the Gnome walled garden and so far none of my applications need to use X. I was using Chromium until I realized I'd be better off with Epiphany.

is there an equivalent for openbox+tint2 yet?

Isn't openbox dead on the development side?

I'm assuming that >Debian is for me?

I need a stable OS for my server.

Pic related would be 2 months, but I don't have a UPS. Was really mad when it happened

>debian
>hundred of bloat dependancies
No wonder

See

Ubuntu on server
Arch on desktop

Arch is more bloated than Debian since Debian does package splitting but Arch throws everything into a single package.

Enjoy your bloat.

That didn't help, apperently. See and picture

BTFO

>ubuntu on server
lmao no
Although that terminal is looking pretty good. How'd you get that?

>Incorrect, systemd is objectively good.
See attached picture.
>Also extremely incorrect, there is so much overhead with X that it's much less efficient performance wise than Wayland
Maybe wayland is more efficient, but what I meant was that X with an opengl compositor is just as smooth and responsive as wayland. Also the overhead isn't that high, embedded devices can run X easily. And their are some implemetations of X that run on arduinos.
>Like with anything in Linux, it all depends on what apps you choose to use. I'm sticking within the Gnome walled garden and so far none of my applications need to use X. I was using Chromium until I realized I'd be better off with Epiphany.
But then you have a limited selection of programs and are stuck in an ecosystem. That's even worse than Mac OSX because atleast there you have some alternatives to the default apps.

Your picture clearly shows that you don't understand the basics of package management. Also:

>It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare
>compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional
>whenever possible.

>Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module
>available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat
>related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional
>features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>Community memes don't define the distribution, technical choices by the
>developers do. It's clearly not based on what you say it is, and *never*
>has been. It has always used significantly more disk space and a
>measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo
>as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development
>perspective).

t. arch dev
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

>dep
>sug
git gud
just copy his colours into literally any terminal emulator.

What are his colors brah?

ask gcolour2, not me

>Your picture clearly shows that you don't understand the basics of package management.
Cool blog, where do I subscribe? SJW mailing list?

>count dep:
>40+

>cuck'd by the own devs
topkek

Pic is pure conjecture, source is still open for anyone to view
>evidence discard

>but what I meant was that X with an opengl compositor is just as smooth
I'm sure you know objectively it isn't but if you think that the average person wouldn't notice a difference in subjective experience, I suggest you actually use Wayland and see for yourself.

>But then you have a limited selection of programs and are stuck in an ecosystem.
This is an issue but that's an issue just for now, eventually Wayland will be standard for everything being actively developed, I'm just hopping on the bleeding edge stop and enjoying it now. And really, Gnome 3's applications are quite nice.

>>>count dep:
+
package splitting is a thing

you're all shitting on Arch just like in every /fglt/ but, seriously, tell me which other distro I should use if I want bleeding edge software
> *buntu
way too much preinstalled shit (including proprietary amazon software)
had massive trouble exchanging the DE in the past
> gentoo
tough to install and set up correctly afaik
don't know about its package manager...
> debian testing
> antergos
might give those a try, unsure about cutting edge software though

>tough to install and set up correctly afaik
Shits easier to setup than Arch.

Debian Sid ofc.

Welcome senpai

what distro do you prefer then?

>testing
Common error to use testing. Debian Sid (unstable) is for the normal desktop user, Debian stable is for complete beginners or servers. debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html

debian sid is rather nice to use imo.

Debian testing has NO security advisory

sid =! testing

First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.

sid = garbage

>Pic is pure conjecture, source is still open for anyone to view
Yeah but you don't think it's suspicious that a company with strong ties to the US government is trying to push systemd after the NSA failed to put backdoors in the kernel. Also there no reason why wayland should be systemd dependent, while X can run with or without systemd.
>I suggest you actually use Wayland and see for yourself.
But I have tried wayland a couple of weeks ago and It wasn't any different than my non-wayland KDE desktop, except my X programs had no compositing and teared like fuck.
>eventually Wayland will be standard for everything being actively developed,
No it won't because there are already so many programs developed in X and wont port over to wayland because X is fine. Also wayland still has many bugs to iron out, and wont run on other architechtures besides x86_64. Wayland will be dead as soon as the devolpers realize that no one will port their applications to Wayland.

>way too much preinstalled shit
ubuntu minimal

Debian package reposiory is bloated.

I wish KDE Neon were Fedora based

Debian is very lightweight. Stop spreading bullshit. Learn what package splitting is, and read what the developers say rather than believing Sup Forums memes.

>fedora
>redhat
>NSA
lol, enjoy your botnet