I don't want to shit on Linux but

Why do they make stuff harder instead of easier as they further develop it? I'm just trying to update my Firefox ESR on Debian; it took 30 seconds to do it on Windows because it auto updates, and when I looked up how to so it on Linux the only relevant result is an outdated guide that shows how an auto update feature used to exist years ago. However, if I want to do it in the current year I have to download some tar and do god knows what with it because it doesn't even include a readme file. How come you're always talking about "the Linux desktop year" when something as simple as updating my browser isn't automatized? And don't get me started on the Flash plugin.

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/22414/how-can-i-run-debian-stable-but-install-some-packages-from-testing
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-linux
help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion/MozillaBuilds
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I update it in the terminal with one simple command

GIT GUD

apt nigger

cd /opt/
wget whateverthefirefoxesrtaris
xzvf or whatever firefox.tar.gz
put .desktop in start menu folder

done

Are you talking about apt-get update and upgrade? It doesn't update it, also I tried apt-mark showhold and the package isn't being held so I don't see the problem.

But is this a legit way to do it? I will still have the old version won't I? Also I would have to manually update forever every single time right?

desu why aren't you using your package manager, one of linux's genuine advantages

probably because firefox' debian packages are jsut as outdated as the rest of it's software. At least on stable. He could use testing or sid instead, but they are even more shit

Yes, it is. Unless you want to wait for a few weeks until the hot pocketeers of debian get their ass up and update things

gksudo firefox

now you can apply updates

how do you expect firefox to update without root privilege?

i took me 1 minute to find this in google

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get full-upgrade

The graphic root prompt doesn't work for some reason. Anyway, even if I get the privileges the other way, the update button shown in the guide doesn't exist anymore. I get that you're trying to help, and thanks for trying, but you shouldn't pretend to know stuff you actually haven't done; of course I read that guide already.

So maybe this is the default Debian package? I didn't think of that actually, if that's the case I don't want to upgrade it anymore.

Forgot pic.

>sudo apt-get full-upgrade

Doesn't exist, it recognized sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, and sudo aptitude full-upgrade though. Both of them did 0 changes.

OP dun goofed, we all fall for it sometime. It's all a meme and Windows has no competition.

then you have to wait

Sudo doesn't work well with graphical apps unless you xhost +local:root, since others users can't render stuff in your X session for very valid security reasons. Do you have pkexec on that machine?

>debian
Found
Your
Problem

Shit like this is why Linux is garbage. Windows and Mac OSX just werk. Linux you gotta jump through all these fucking hoops and shit. Nobody except neets have time for that bull.

I get what you're saying but I never really got into the autism of gksu vs gksudo vs pkexec. I just installed gksu and used gksudo to try again, but obviously the button isn't there. I just checked my Firefox ESR and flashplugin-nonfree version numbers and they're the ones listed in the manual, so I guess I actually have the latest versions; it's just that Debian's versions are outdated in comparison to the rest of the universe.

serverfault.com/questions/22414/how-can-i-run-debian-stable-but-install-some-packages-from-testing

This seems relevant. For Debian, "stable" sometimes just means "so old nobody bothers to submit bug reports anymore". If you want to keep the core packages super stable but still use some bleeding edge features in specific programs, an override line this is the way to go.

He's just a shitposter, he's not me. Thanks for the link but that's super dangerous. No thanks.

>But is this a legit way to do it? I will still have the old version won't I? Also I would have to manually update forever every single time right?
It's a legit way and you don't need to use /opt directory. If you can extract it to your home folder and you shouldn't need any permissions to auto-update

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-linux
help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion/MozillaBuilds
Follow the manual installation guides, ubuntu one should also work for debian

This would be like the Linux equivalent of a portable app right?

They would be alike as not messing with admin privileged files/folders

>RUNNING YOUR WEB BROWSER AS ROOT
EVEN FOR ONE SINGLE SECOND

NO DO NOT DO THIS

Holy shit we got a retard over here.

You're probably running Debian stable. It does not get updates other than for bug or security fixes. This is done on purpose because some people, many actually, prefer stability over the bleeding edge. If you want more updates use arch. But say goodbye to stability.

I don't remember the last time I've had to download a package off the internet to install and app. If you see yourself doing so then stop and think if there's a better way. Debian has back ports that contain some updated packages for the stable system. I use it and my Firefox is always up to date.

Instead of complaining how Linux is not identical to windows, how about educating yourself a bit? If you can't adapt at all then how do you expect to survive at work?

Just install the latest Firefox you nigger
>sudo apt-get install Firefox

>Why do they make stuff harder instead of easier
Because it helps to keep normies out. Normies ruin everything

You can call me edgy or autistic, but you know this to be true.