/Surface Studio/

>Tycho asked me to compare it to my Cintiq, and I told him that drawing on the Cintiq now felt like drawing on a piece of dirty plexiglass hovering over a CRT monitor from 1997.

>The feeling of drawing on the Studio’s screen is hard to describe. I will say that the first time you do it, it feels wrong. Like you’re going to get in trouble because you clearly are not supposed to drag a fucking stylus across this thing!

>I’ve been drawing on it for a week now and it has gone from feeling naughty to just plain magical.

penny-arcade.com/news/post/2016/10/26/the-surface-studio

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rdhNkv4ryuM
he.wikipedia.org/wiki/פפה_אללו
geekwire.com/2016/watch-microsofts-new-surface-dial-works-surface-studio-pc/
amazon.co.uk/XP-Pen-Artist22-Graphic-Display-Interactive/dp/B01BER296K/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>This device to me is a very obvious replacement for artists who currently work on a Cintiq. It is for professional creators and the fact that I can play some games is nice but it’s not the selling point. The Studio sits at about $3000 which might sound high but consider that I paid $2500 for my Wacom Cintiq 27"HD and that isn’t even a computer.

He's a shill but I get his point. The only big drawing tablet on market for a very long time is the Cintiq 27'' and the display is pure shit because the special screen texture for drawing. The surface studio doesn't have that problem, but then again the pen is shit and the smooth glass doesn't help either.

Looks dope as fuck.
If I was doing some creative work i qould like my studio to be as good looking as possible and i think that in and of itself is a pretty big selling point.

Maybe I should start studying more architecture and have an excuse to buy this shit

literally a bog ass hotplate with internal fans that run at high pitch
runs like shit too

bump

You sound mad Applefag

Tim cook pls leave

go inhabit the gfur threads where you belong

Don't need a reason, just do it

i completely trust gabe's definitely unbiased opinion.

Is the digitizer any different to the one on my Surface Book? Because while it's good for writing notes, the parralax is shit and you can't manually calibrate it for some reason. That instantly disqualifies it for real design work and makes it as just gimmicky as a touch screen laptop

>drawing on smooth glass
yeah, no

>t. Recorded from my iPad, post-processed from my iMac, screenshotted from my iPhone.

That's just his Parkinson's.

Ah, the age old "it's actually bad but only you rationalize it enough it's good" shilling tactic. Have seen this mental gymnastics shit a billion and one times already. They only say this so you can actually go to a store, try it, hate it, but then you remember what mr. shill here told you so you bring the useless piece of crap to your home and let post-purchase rationalization run wild.

If it's good, it's good right off the get go, period. There's no such thing as "it magically gets good after a billion and one days", this is just PR marketing bullshit. This is just a piece of tech like any other, it's not some kind of never-seen-before magical shit and that's all there is to it.

Waste of money and there is nothing that it can do better than GNU/Linux + GIMP + a Wacom Tablet which apart from the cheap tablet, is completely free.

Apart from be a functional PC : ^ )

rip in piss apple

Microsoft killed the iPad Pro and the Cintiq in one go.

I will never be able to justify such a costly device for the "art" I do. Even if it looks way more fun than my shitty monoprice

lol these people. i would love to see you built a successful career on that platform without the help of any other computes.

the pen is SO MUCH BETTER than the fat shitty wacom pen.

You could just get an Intuos XL for 800 $.
There is no advantage to "drawing on a screen", your brain "learns" the mapping very quickly.

you don't make lines slowly. you make them fast and sharp. same for analog drawing. and if you get it wrong, on a PC, you undo.

shows this guy knows nothing about drawing.

already killed the ipad pro with the surface pro 4. have one. incredible piece of tech.

Imagine the rare Pepes one could draw with such a thing

wrong. it's 100x better drawing on-screen. i've done both and i'm never going back to a tablet.

it's easier for analog since you have a higher friction and thus more control over the pen but in general, yeah, you want relatively fast, long strokes

But enough about Tycho himself...

Krita is for drawing not gimp. :^|

A photo studio used gimp for fixing usual pic flaws. No complaint from them. A webdev/publication area needs cannot be fulfilled usually.

good point, the friction does help. i do wish my surface pro screen was a little less smooth

Just use a different pen nib if it's too smooth

JUST SELL THE SCREEN
I DON'T NEED AN OVERPRICED SHITTY LAPTOP WITH LEGACY MOBILE GPUS

That's just the thing user, this is how you will get it and you will like it and take it or get yourself a non-touchscreen or a Wacom touch screen than costs about 1/3rd the price without any computer but with much shitter results and resolution.

The specs are good enough to last you a good few years and if not, just sell it next year when the new model comes out.

>that mouse
are they serious?

It's an awesome mouse. I have the previous version and it's the most comfortable mouse in history and the batteries last you around 9 months.

>it's the most comfortable mouse in history
microsoft fanboys really are the worst.

it doesn't have a thumb button.
I would be willing to argue about pretty much everything else but with how much time you normally spend on the internet nowadays that is a pretty big fuckup.
after all, the thing is not just a graphic tablet but also a PC

this, i just want the fucking screen.

>it doesn't have a thumb button.
A lot of people don't have mice with thumb buttons.
They don't know what they're missing.

It's obviously not a mouse for everyone. We already have the M705 for that.

The rare Pepe market has collapsed, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=rdhNkv4ryuM

How about one of the OP with linux?

WACOM ON SUICIDE WATCH !!!

How many times did he cum while using it?

>it doesn't have a thumb button.

thumb button is a waste of space. I need a mouse I can throw in my bag with my Surface Pro 3 that doesn't take up unnecessary space.

pic related, it's the one in the middle.

Microsoft needs to stop driving random companies out of business. Wacom didn't do anything to deserve this.

He know how to draw but he still post that because his viewers bitching about it. In fact back when he still using his Surface Pro 3 he didn't know the problem exist until some guy told him about it.
Microsoft are working with Wacom to make a new pen with higher polling rate to solve that problem.

He's talking about this guy:
he.wikipedia.org/wiki/פפה_אללו

Pepe Allalo

I hope they sell the screen for 2900 usd :^)

the moment you make money off art, you can legitimately claim the computer as a business expense and write it off.

got an mmo mouse a long time ago, cant live without the buttons because holy shit, things i commonly type are now 1 button press? went to logitech... holy shit, a third mouse button to shift click any of the buttons I currently have? holy fuck, this is the most useful thing i ever got.

yea its gamer mmo bullshit but this is the most functionally useful thing I have ever purchased for a computer.

wacom either be dropping prices or slitting wrists, either way, good times be had by all into art.

same here.

considering that i have had upwards 3 computers with 1 cintique, just being able to move it from one computer to another would be a huge boon.

digitizers take data 100-1000 times a second, from 4 points and equalize them, some times you get one that sees it 100 pixels to the south some times 1000 to the north, this is why we also have lazy pens, that average 10 or so polls together so you get a smooth almost real time line.

2 threads really?

10+ years of using a tablet here, can not for the life of me draw on one. I can paint, i can ink, but i can not get over the disconnect.

sat on their patents while charging out the ass and not updating shit (there are bugs that have been known about for 5+ years they wont do shit about and requires community drivers to sort out) for so fucking long that everyone else is able to catch up and now some surpass them (uc logic is now as good as wacom for drawing, lacking only tilt features that no one really uses)

IT'S OVER SAMSHIT NOTES ARE FINISHED!

So is this thing good?, or better than the other drawing tabs

FINALLY someone gets it
fucking jews deserved it

Wacom > N-Trig

Wacom BTFO themselves
>The next generation G13 pen from Wacom will support both Active ES and Microsoft Pen protocols
>High performance simultaneous Pen & Touch (240Hz Pen, 120Hz Touch)
>4096 level pen pressure
>Tilt detection

>960 is now legacy

ok kyle

I tried it in a store for a few minutes

Response time is better than the Pro 3 and Pro 4,but subCintiq. Pressure sensitivity still feels mushy. Palm rejection was abysmal. My coat sleeve kept being picked up for some reason as well as my palm. Parallax was very minimal, though.

The dial is useless. You can pinch to zoom/rotate, so a dial is actually slower to use, and picking colors with it was just bad. You can't customize it or the pen's button, so you can't optimize your work flow. It also slides on the screen.

Wouldn't buy even if these issues were resolved because fuck having to upgrade an entire machine every few years.

>parralax is shit
U wot

A Cintiq is like $2800

>Microsoft are working with Wacom to make a new pen with higher polling rate to solve that problem
Why would they work with Wacom when they own n-trig?

I just dropped in to say that I appreciate your joke.

change tips and personalize your pen settings

Ask Microsoft I don't know

huh

maybe they're working on an open standard?

Yet another reason to purchase the new Apple iPad Pro with Retina Display.

Any good for claw hands?

Thank you for an unbiased non-shilling review.

Gabe has complained about that same thing in past surface products. So yeah, he seems fairly unbiased to me. Go back and read them if you want.

Personally, The dial is something I REALLY want to get my hands on,

geekwire.com/2016/watch-microsofts-new-surface-dial-works-surface-studio-pc/

looking at that, I can see quite a bit of time saving depending on the application.

Model rotation in z brush
cycle a color pallet I picked out
animation flipping through panels
3d rotating the canvas, possibly moving it up and down on the xy too.

really all depends on how customizable it is, because the monitor would take all the space in front of me, possibly more useful then convenient then a keyboard

You think you do, but you don't

Has anyone used one of these?

amazon.co.uk/XP-Pen-Artist22-Graphic-Display-Interactive/dp/B01BER296K/

>prebuilts
fuck no

y not?

5 rupees have been deposited to your account

5 shekels have been deposited into your account

It was a store model. They didn't have tips. Should've changed the settings, but I was already hogging their only display and grilling the sales rep for info.

Nah. The Surface Pro isn't perfect, but the iPad Pro sucks for drawing. I love the form factor, but I could never do any of my professional work on it. It's just not built to be a workhorse,and the pencil is kinda "eh"

For what it's worth, I found the lack of parallax real great, and the response time is usable now. So as much as the palm rejection sucks and the lack of customization is a personal deal breaker, I *am* excited by this. It's just that if a fellow professional had $3000 to spend on a work station, I'd direct them to build something themselves.

The dial controls are 100% dictated by the software. I think Adobe only supports zoom and rotation, but the other drawing program I used had color picked and undo/redo.

But it reeeeeeeeeeeeally depends. I'm someone who customizes my Wacom's express keys just so, because I use programs differently from other people (everyone does).

I like the concept, but itll require software makers to go out of their way to support it and (hopefully) make it flexible,but I highly doubt it'll surpass Wacom's setup.

But hey, I hope it works out. I want people to light a fire under Wacom's ass, and I'd like every machine to meet someone's needs perfectly. I think the dial is either going to take some work and turn out great, or get dropped. Right now, customization is zero, and that's just a bummer.

real question: what kind of "artist" draws on a 100,000 dollar computer when they could draw on a piece of fucking paper?

i hate this world so much

>i hate this world so much

why don't you kill yourself then?

This is Sup Forums - Technology

Not Sup Forums - Neo-luddites

Because a computer is infinite paper, easier to colour with, easier to edit, easier to fix mistakes, you don't need an xbox hueg room to use it in

>implying we don't do both

I plan to get a Studio, but I'll likely use it the same way I use this Cintiq 27QHD touch thing. Disable touch + use a numpad in my left hand.

>just plain magical.

Anyone that uses this to describe consumer trash is auto ignored.

You are literally retarded.

>get a low spec computer with nice pen display that will become obsolute in time
>or get a Cintiq that you can hook up to any nice computer

uhh yeah I feel you OP. I bought a couple of them. pretty fun

>functional
>windows 10
pick one and only one user

dude's drawing are fucking lame, really doesn't need a $3000 tablet to get his shit done

they will add customization to it, there's no way they can't, the idea is at the very least solid, just current implementations are poor.

Is there a danger the Koreans copy this?

This is usually what people who are already comfortable with those after years of use say. You can get used to a desk one but it's by no means better. On-screen tablets you 'get' immediately from the very fist time.

What the hell is wrong with the Cintiq? The surface texture, REALLY? There are all sorts of screen protectors for that you know.

And lastly:

CPU: Intel i5 processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965m, 2GB vRAM
RAM: 8GB
Storage: 1TB

BAHAHAHA!

Expect having to throw away this luxurious screen-tablet in 3 years when the specs become outdated.

It'd be better if it was just a drawing tablet you could hook up to any computer.