What do you guys use linux for?

What do you guys use linux for?

I like windows because the only thing I do at my home computer is a little programming and a lot of video games.

There is barely any good games on Linux, what's the point?

thx for your input pajeet

>There is barely any good games on Linux, what's the point?
>Civ V
>Empire Total War
>any directx 9 game ever
>Rocket League
>War Thunder
>Cities Skylines
>Euro Truck Simulator
>EU4
>M&B Warband
>Every PS2, PS1, SNES, etc. game ever

there are so many great games avaliable on linux that i could play them for the rest of my life and still not run out

I have CSGO installed with Ubuntu. Everything is okay but I can't seem to optimize it like I could on Windows. I can't get my frame rate up to what it was on Windows.

It doest help the Nvidia drivers I have are hanky as fuck and have no customization.

You can play games on Linux but it just isn't the same.

Because I want to.

but these are older games. I want to play the newest games otherwise what's the point of a good pc?

because its a meme

I play videogames too, and linux doesn't support much of them. So that means linux is useless for me, and therefore the rest of the population.

>what do you use it for
Desktop PC OS, not console OS.
>there's not enough games
It has enough games for me if I ever get bored although I don't really play games anymore. You can play well over 95% existing games anyway.
>Steam
>GOG
>WINE+PlayOnLinux
>other sources

>what's the point?
-Having a good desktop OS which gives you control over itself instead of taking it.
-Not being cucked by the American government (Windows 10)
-free OS which is more difficult to infect with viruses

you buy ps4 for that senpai

You know, if you want to play games and not lose out on the experience you could DUAL BOOT (wow.)
Programming in windows makes me want to puke honestly, the IDE's are shit, sure Visual Studio is good, but I'm just doing Uni level stuff, I'm not going to compile Unreal 4. Also the amount of customization you can get in linux is hardly reachable in Windows, also if you want to do anything with networks/network security on windows, well good luck. Just really annoying having to install mingw/cygwin, and if you chose mingw well have fun with cmd/powershell, both are really inferior options to bash/zsh. And I would really rather not use gVim for Windows, makes me want to commit suicide looking at it
Also everything after Win7 is spyware heaven

Linux for desktop is literally useless.

Can't work on it. Can't game on it. Driver support is much worse than Windows/OSX. It can browse facebook but that's it.

I use it to feel superior to normies like the rest of you

>what's the point?
Freedom.

You got it wrong. It is not that there are no good games for Linux, it is that they run like shit due to bad drivers.

The performance and loss of fps on Linux due to open source GPU/Sound drivers is a headache. You waste your time on Wine trying to make a game work by locating all dependencies, then you get garbage graphics, glitches, missing features, distorted sound and pathetic fps.

The same game runs flawlessly on Windows with maximum fps that your hardware can provide.

So it makes no sense to cripple your own device with a server OS just to feel special.

>i'm a child
>so you should be a child

Back to Sup Forums with the lot of you, filthy gamer scum.

We are here to stay because computers and GPU are primarily meant for games and workstations. If Linux cannot deliver on either, it does not belong on Sup Forums. It is an outdated relic of the past that sits on backends of servers.

Linux is used by lots of programmers and devs as oppose to using windows which is at times unreliable and made as a family OS not specifically made for programmers.

>barely any good games
You have to be over 18 to browse this site

Please proceed to the underage board,

>I like command line
>I like never worrying about viruses
>I like running comfortably on less than 1G RAM
>I like freedom
>I like package managers
>I don't play vidya and Linux has some pretty cool toys which are easy to find (check out inconsolata)
>I like customisability

Everything you've said is false. You're either baiting or just retarded. Also
>gaming is a factor which determines an OS is good for desktop use
18+ site

>computers and GPUs are primarily meant for games
oh god... you are being serious aren't you...

I used to dual-boot Windows 7 and OS X back in college. It was nice but it's annoying having to constantly restart when you want to play a quick game. having it on different machines is better.

Though that was before almost any games were non-Windows and no one used SSDs, so that probably makes the experience far better (though it would still really annoy me since I like to play a few games then take a break for other stuff).

didn't he say
>and workstations
?

can you read? it's certainly not wrong.

I use it on my old i7 hp toaster laptop as a minecraft server for my buddies
>inb4 autism

>visual studio is good
It's a bloated unstable pile of shit. The only good thing about it is the interface.
>Also everything after Win7 is spyware heaven
To add to this, Visual studio apparently injects telemetry on everything it compiles, although I don't personally care about it since I don't use it.

>minecraft server for my buddies
autism

Installed like Linux to stop me playing games so much, my productivity has gone through the roof

>I like running comfortably on less than 1G RAM
You could have just said that youre poor, cuck

Excellent analogy

everything

I use it for everyday things, like email, youtube, and programming. Most of the distros I've used run much smoother than Win7/8, I have better control over my machine(packages, config files, etc.), and if something goes wrong, it's not too difficult to take care of. I don't play games much anymore so that's not a huge factor for me.

>What do you guys use linux for?
I used to use it at home, but these days I only use it at work (granted I have Steam installed on it and play some games after office hours with some colleagues occasionally). But yeah, I use it for work.

At home I just use my MBP with macOS.

>I like windows because the only thing I do at my home computer is a little programming and a lot of video games.
When I used Linux at home, I did this on Linux.

Well, there are some (all games I play are on Steam for Linux), but if your main motivation for using a computer is to play games then it isn't for you.

For other everyday things, like email, browsing, watching video, streaming, etc, it is more than fine.

School work (text editing, LibreOffice mainly,. Dropbox, GNU Octave, Snipping tool (Imagemagick thingy))
Media stuff (YouTube, general streaming, movies and series with mpv, some image editing)
Internet browsing
I don't game much. Sometimes I'll play Battle for Wesnoth, it's pretty good.

>I don't play games much anymore

Obviously

there is no point as you can run any distro in a virtual machine while having the rock stable NT kernel and 100% software compatibility. not to mention that some software is available on linux but missing features

Walked right into that one, I guess. I still have a Windows partition on my desktop if there's something I need to run, but I hardly use it.

I use it for almost everything I need. Initially I thought I would have issues with Photoshop and Illustrator but it turns out that now I just used playonlinux with latest wine versions and it's just mighty fucking fine here for what I need to do.

And games, let's say that newer games ain't that pleasant for me. I have tried doom and I cannot get into it. TW3, FO4, all of these I can run just fine but really it seems like I wasted some money on stuff I don't really need. As of late I've been playing some games I bought on a sale, all running on linux. It's a shame titles like Strider don't run on it but I'm willing to skip that in favor of the fuckton of games there are, and the fact that I don't have much time for that anyways makes it unimportant enough that dual booting into Windows seems also pointless.

I mean, I have 10 installed. I haven't touched it in quite a while. The only reason I ain't removing it is because there -might- be a time at which I will need it for some random program.

Kinda offtopic here but is there any tool on linux that would manage shit related to my google services/android stuff? Say, my calendar and such. I want to be able to set notifications without having to do it all from my goddamn phone. I know I can do it from the web browser but still.

>newest games
>good
Not only a babby but also a faggot

Linux is fine, I just wish that Libreoffice (Impress especially) wasn't such an insufferable bugfest.

What are you doing on Sup Forums if your hobbie is gaymen?

Fuck off. You are cucked if you think it a good thing to run 3,4,5,7 GB ram when idle and laugh at others who appreciate efficiency. You are cucked if you think that its a good thing windows can't run on old machines. You are cucked if you're spending money just so winshit doesn't freeze and lose all your work every 5 minutes.

>What do you guys use linux for?
Everything

Windows:
-browsing
-programming
-photo editing
-watching movies downloaded with the linux computer

Linux:
-browsing the web
-browse and download torrents
-download other stuff
-ricing for fun

>a good PC is pointless if you're not playing games on it

For fun really
I never really got to experience MS-DOS and don't really find myself using command prompt in a glorified GUI mess known as modern Windows.

I rented out a server for one of my chat server bots which came with ubuntu with no GUI and I'm having fun learning basic shit in the terminal.