I have an ancient computer I'm turning into a Linux box for my 60 yo mother who doesn't know shit about Linux and...

I have an ancient computer I'm turning into a Linux box for my 60 yo mother who doesn't know shit about Linux and doesn't care to really learn. She just needs a computer she can turn on and watch cat videos with.
Suggestions for distro?

3.40 Pentium D
4GB RAM
GMA 950
1TB HD

Debian stable.

Debian stable with something like xcfe.

Arch Linux with no DE

Make her work with Lynx and Curl

xubuntu, leave firefox, something of the level of vlc for videos and maybe libreoffice for her on the desktop.

Gentoo. Xfce4

debian stable with xfce.

make it autologin in startup.
turn off lockscreen on screensaver (she would have to otherwise remember the password)
make it look as familiar to windows user as possible.

install and configure sshd so you can remote access and upgrade her machine while she's not working on it

Windows 7

Not OP but why Debian?

Lubuntu because it's slightly more lightweight than Xubuntu, and just as normie-friendly.

Probably because it will run for a long time before having any problems.Altough there's the stupid meme Sup Forums created that debian is only old it's really stable.

If I install it will it just werk? I've only ever done Mint.

>those specs
>ancient
Sup Forums is so damned spoiled.

If you install it selecting a DE on the installer yes it will just werks.You might need to enable non-free in the repos for some codecs but everything should work out of the box.

why are people suggesting anything but Linux Mint?

it's a fuckin grandma. Put Mint on it, make an account with her name on it, disable password prompts

put a giant CHROME icon on the desktop
put a giant SKYPE icon on the desktop

gg ez

gma950 is shit.

I put Lubuntu on my 80 y/o grandma's PC. She only uses skype and a bunch of Firefox bookmarks about the weather and news.

>spoiled
>earns income

Mint Cinnamon, the perfect DE for this case

Ubaanto without amazon crap

Ubuntu, I have both my mother and aunt using it and neither have complained

>Parents earn the income

Remix OS. That shit is really easy to use.

Yep exatly, just install Mint and call it a day.

Gentoo no DE

Xfce/lxde

Honestly, mint is your best bet. Use cinnamon with it, and she'll hardly notice a difference.
Assuming all she does is use a web browser, there probably won't be any difference from a functionality point of view for her either.

Mint

ElementaryOS

fedora because it's easy to install (no graphics driver problems like with debian and ubuntu)

Xubuntu, ElementaryOS, Puppy Linux, Antergos

antergos

Mint or Ubuntu. My 65 year old mother with no technical skills has been using Ubuntu LTS for the last five years and really likes it.

What kinda fucked up shit grandma do to deserve this? Just install windows 7.

PCLinuxOS. It's stable and just werks.