Forgotten Flagships

Check out this monitor I discovered! It's not exactly new, but it's still a 30" 2560x1600 IPS display. It was released six years ago for $1300 and I probably didn't hear a single thing about it because it was so far out of my price range. Now I can buy one on eBay for around $300, just a little more than an average new 24" IPS monitor.

What are some other electronics like this, that were way too expensive when they came out, but have since been forgotten and plummeted in price to the point where they are extremely competitive with newer hardware?

I think most phones are like this too. If you would even consider buying a new phone with less-than-flagship hardware, you would probably be better served buying a used high end two-year-old phone.

pretty much every old dell 1680x1050 monitor can be had for $50

Sure, but those are pieces of shit and couldn't compete with the cheapest new 1080p monitor you can buy

not sure about that one monitors stay where they are and are generally pretty well looked after meanwhile phones are abused as FUCK

I'm not apying $20-50 more for a few pixels and a shit aspect ratio though. Might get a 24" 1900x1200 though.

>I'm not apying $20-50 more for a few pixels and a shit aspect ratio though
What are you, poor? You should buy the absolute cheapest thing your money can get in that case. You can't afford that 24" monitor if you're worried about spending $20 more on hardware

HiFi. You can get 10000+€ speaker pairs on eBay for less than 1000€ on eBay. People think old = outdated but speakers didn't really change a lot in the last 20 years. I bought a pair of JBLs for 100€ which was 2000€ new just 10 years earlier.

Any specific models come to mind?

>I'd rather have less pixels because MUH ASPECT RATIO
How many time did you'rea're mom drop you as a child?

>its more expensive so its obviously better and you should either get the most expensive thing or nothing at all

Honestly, thinkpads

Not true at all a lot of cheap monitors are absolute GARBAGE

Dells 1680x1050 screens were from the time everything dell made looked like it had been smeared with vaseline or crystallized due to some of the worst matte I've ever seen though so if it's dells it probably can be beaten even by the garbage shit. Also CCFL IPS monitors are HOT and often NOISY like they average like 45-50c and can squeal like bitches.

You can still find some nice 1680x1050 screens though that are great and better than the real cheap new 1080p monitors

no, i would just go on ebay, check how far away your shit can be because shipping big speakers is expensive right? put in your maximum price, and check what they have. just open a tab with everything that looks nice, and then google the models for their original price or reviews. craigslist is also very good.

I am actually looking to buy a new monitor as we speak. Do you have any recommendations for old flagship, good value ones?

Any monitor which has a 16:10 aspect ratio and lacks HDMI input is going to be cheaper than average because normalfags don't know what DisplayPort is.

I'm running a Lenovo Thinkvision 24520p right now that is a 1920x1200 IPS panel I paid $65 for. I have successfully overclocked it to 85hz.

I also have a Dell Ultrasharp monitor with a wide color gamut and every input you can think of. It goes for about $120 on ebay and the image is fantastic when you watch downscaled 4k video on it.

HP Enterprise products in general are the forgotten gems of ebay.

Bump

I have an iPhone 5. It's four years old and it's lagging behind a fair bit, but it's not that slow yet. I seriously think that it's better to buy an iPhone 5S than an Android for the same price.

This beautiful beast right here, the world's first true color 24-bit pure digital LCD display panel, the SGI 1600SW. Retail priced at $2999 when it first appeared back in late 1998, with a 1600x1024 resolution.

I saw one upon introduction at COMDEX in Las Vegas that year, people were just absolutely fucking stunned by it - really the first widescreen LCD many had ever seen or even dreamed of.

SGI made a mistake in using that proprietary LVDI aka OpenLDI interface however and the necessary DVI adapter aka multi-link breakout box was like $950 itself if you didn't purchase the custom graphics card made by #9 aka Number Nine for another $1500+ you were just kinda stuck.

Took me about 8 years to get one finally, picked up the entire workstation machine that was based on Windows NT for a good price but eventually just had to sell it for lack of being useful. SGI's custom hardware, mobo, custom everything made it so fucking proprietary you just couldn't really do much of anything with it even though it was technically running Windows.

Sad because I'd still love to have one of the 1600sw monitors to this day but that interface just makes it nearly impossible to use gracefully with today's graphics hardware.

Can be found on eBay pretty cheap nowadays but without that adapter box forget using it with most anything.

X5470 xeon

I have a 2nd gen Moto g, the last good Motorola phone. It was budget when it came out, and I'll probably keep it forever.

5-7 year old servers

Absolute fantastic prices

Nigga you call that a flagship?

I sold it like 5 years ago, but god damn was that pixel density and resolution amazing.

>moto x pure
>not good
gniylpmi

A lot of Dell's monitors from around 8 or 9 years ago are still very good today. Sure, they have a bad matte coating but it's not too bad in some applications.

I use two Dell 2007fp as my monitors as they're the best 4:3 LCDs I know of. They cost like £40 a pop but the actual quality kicks the crap out of most LCDs I've seen up to £200 or so. Any around that time (2207Wfp, etc) are still very good screens for the price.

One thing to note is a lot of them are CCFL so you have to watch for them yellowing.

But how does it actually look? Isn't it outdated LCD tech? I'd rather have an old SGI CRT that still looks amazing compared to what's out now.

Is that one of those 5k NASA monitors?

>Now I can buy one on eBay for around $300

And pay only another monthly $300 worth of power bills for both the gigantic CFL backlight and the air conditioner to keep your room under 90C

I have one, same overall monitor/panel but the Dell variant, got a huge deal on ebay. Wish I hadn't, the blacklight is inconsistent compared to LED and throw heat like a flamethrower.

22 inches
3840x2400 resolution
MSRP in 2001: $9,999

And I bought mine for like 6 or 8 hundred.

Framerate was dog shit even if you hacked it though

Why would you pay full price for a phone when most carriers will let you upgrade if you keep your contract?

>And pay only another monthly $300 worth of power bills for both the gigantic CFL backlight and the air conditioner to keep your room under 90C
I live in a cool climate, so no problem. The power is either going to the monitor or the heater, with the result equivalent thanks to thermodynamics. Unless you keep your blinds open, as you lose a little energy with escaping photons, but I never do.

Bump

My brother plays his Xbone on one, looks pretty good to be honest

>Contract
take a look at this cuck, you pay for the upgrade out of your contract desu

>you pay for the upgrade out of your contract desu

ATT has a pretty nice plan now. What they do is every time you can upgrade but don't, they add a credit to your bill every month to compensate.

Does it have a gyroscope? My older brother's Moto X doesn't.

that's probably the moto x play, as in "cheap shit version you get locked to boost mobile from walmart" edition

>tfw posting from one of those workstations right now but I didn't get a 1600SW with it
Now that I'm in the market for one every sub-$100 1600SW on eBay is gone and all I can find is a boxed one for $700, no fucking way when I only paid $5 for this shitbox anyway.

But for real though, how do they rank up nowadays? Not that I really give much of a shit about the quality since I'm sitting stationary and not doing any professional design with it, but I'm curious anyway. I really want to swap out my bulk-ass Trinitron for one so I can get some writing space back on my desk.

If you run the optimal configuration you can get 48hz. That's good enough for video and video games. But I'd say ghosting is probably pretty bad.

THE GOAT WIDESCREEN CRT OF ALL TIME

FW900