/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331005
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-160GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005
laptopscribes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you guys just look for deals on ebay and craigslist right?

Is it possible to put a x61 motherboard into an x60 just like the t601f frankenpad?

Hi, so I'm thinking of getting ideapad300 15" laptop, what does Sup Forums think about it?

N O T A T H I N K P A D

I couldn't find any thread related to the subject so I just wanted to ask a quick question if anyone knew an answer. Sorry bud

DONT. i have its predecessor the G50-80 and its complete and utter shit made to be as cheap as possible.

I've gotten too much backstock/junk so I've held off other than looking for a vintage machine

I think they are compatible but the X60/61 uses a different motherboard design than the X60s/61s & tablets.

You should get one, they are totally good.

What about starting a new thread? Hbave you thought of that?

post pics of your X220's with linux desktops showing pls

So what do you recommend for a college student who needs a lot of 3D rendering and has a 1k$ budget?

Thanks!

I don't feel like adding a whole thread for a small question m8. Sorry again, lol.

A desktop and a chromebook.

should i try to get an x260 w/ i7?

Are there any benefits of a t60/61 frankenpad? I would like to use the t60 mobo instead because of libreboot, but would go for the t61 motherboard if there were considerable benefits.

1080p t430s best pad

>needs a lot of 3D rendering and has a 1k$ budget?
desktop + cheap tablet

I really really want that, I even put together pieces for a new PC to have a relatively good specs for a cheap price along with the Chromebook, but I can't. I have to buy it from another country and it's hard to transport a desktop overseas in a travel bag.

First for the master race.

>pajeetOS 10
>throttling central
master race indeed

>throttling
>implying
if you replace it properly it won't throttle, unless you stress all components to 100% for more than 10 minutes.

>replace
I mean repaste, god damnit.

Then why not consider a W541 or something? You can get those for around $1,000 if you are patient.

Next question, why do you need to buy in a foreign country?

Country's tax on electronics is really high. A macbook air 265gb is around 2k$ while I purchased one for a friend from another country for around 900$.

DO IT YOU NIGGERS I WANT TO BUY AN X220 BUT IM ON THE FENCE ABOUT IT BECAUSE OF THE KEKED SCREEN RESOLUTION

PUT PICS SHOWING THE X220 WITH TEH SCREEN ON MAKE ME HARD

T61 motherboard ups the RAM limit from 3GB to 8 and lets you install Penryn Core 2 Duos, which are way better than Yonah or Merom. You also get SATA II support, but only if you flash Middleton's BIOS. I'd say it's well worth it. Just make sure you get an Intel iGPU board and not the Nvidia dGPU. Get an Advanced Dock if you'd like to have grafics.

How is the i7 on the X230? Is it as much of a cucked housefire as it is on the X220?

Actually, thermals are not bad which was a nice surprise.

E330 owner here

What's people's experience with screen swapping? I am wondering on whether I can get a 1920x1080 screen that will work.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331005

This seems pretty good, so what am I missing

The point of buying a laptop is what you're missing I bought this for way cheap

Have you actually received it yet? I saw that on eBay and I thought it was too good to be true

I'm not the only one to receive it, and 71 people are watching it right now check out the reviews: ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-160GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005

>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-160GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005
Hmmm.... that have an LED backlight or CCFL?

ask the seller, I asked about the mix up with windows 10 and windows 8.1, the seller immediately replied

T410 and later are all LED backlit.

What are the optimal sensitivity settings for her pleasure point? Pic related is what I've been using, but it feels likes it "lagging", even though setting it to lowest sensitivity of 1 make it inaccurate for fine movement, and anything higher is too stiff.
I'm kinda disappointed in its limitations.

gonna bump this question

that tenda dude is legit. he was selling a batch of t420s with hd+ and 60gb msatas for $150. mine was in fantastic shape as advertised

I have an X131e on it's way. Too fucking hype. Plus another 4GB ram to give it 8GB.

Thanks for that user, that really makes me more comfy

T460, why not?

my $100 x230 is coming tomorrow, so fucking hyped

>not a single model with a 960m
truly chinkshit garbage for poorfag neets

Guys, my t420 has stopped working, It was working perfectly fine minutes ago and it suddenly shut off. Now it wont even turn on, even when it is plugged it. the blinker lights to indicate that is charging isnt turning on neither. I tried taking out the battery and plugged in my charger to try and boot it up and no good. im thinking something is up with the motherboard. any idea guys??

don't buy a 5 year old laptop next time.

You mean for business men/casual users? If you want a pleb laptop go back to or be a bitch and go to laptopscribes.com/

lmao, yeah, I've had this computer for a year though. With no issues what so ever. I guess it was about time for its end

I don't think i7 will make much of a difference because either way it will end up throttling after like 10 or 20 seconds. I think there the cache size might be bigger on the i7 though? Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Are the differences between the t420 and t430 basically the same as between the x220 and x230? Not too familiar with the T line.

The keyboard is different

Fuckkkkk

What specs? :D

i bought a t420 for schoolwork and reading textbooks, did i fall for a meme

Not all memes are bad

No, you are good, it is made for business shit anyways and it's durable asf

i bought one of these too

it literally shipped 10-15 minutes after i placed the order so im kind of suspicious

Don't be, the guy is apparently on everything like I said, when I asked him about the desc windows 10 vs the title with windows 8.1 he immediately replied back to me

Was the t420 12" a thing and if they are where are they been looking for one for a while

wut

it's called x220

So there's no Thinkpad 12" and I've been living a lie this last month? 14" and up only?

My i7 X220 is not a housefire; just repaste every few years.

Are you fucking retarded?

i5-3320m , 4GB ram, IPS screen, good cosmetic condition, only missing the harddrive tray.

Best laptop for a lawyer around $1000?

MacBook pro

If I have infinite money should I still buy a thinkpad? I want a laptop I can upgrade myself but also have a nice GPU on for gayming, and also a trackpoint. Not sure what fulfills these requirements aside new Thinkpad.

That's $300 over budget for the 13"

Feel so dirty, got a cheap 300-11IBR, instead of a X220 for the upto 7H battery life,

I feel so conflicted, battery life is great, but it looks shit

buy used ya tard
you can get 2013/2014 13" for dirt cheap (for macs)

What's a good linux for older models, talking core duo and 1gb of ram, just going to shitpost and watch jewtube

lubuntu?

Arch

Arch, Debian, cross compiled Funtoo.

debian

I'd prefer the 15"

Arch kernel is bloated with every module under the sun. Nothing lightweight in the slightest unless you run your own kernel.

Why the fuck would anybody use the default kernel? Always compile your own.

Are there any modern graphical frontends for trackpoint configuration in Manjaro?

I don't know where the confusion is coming from, but the X, T, and W series are all branded under the Thinkpad name.

then get a 2013/2014 15" for like 1k

Too much work. It's easier to just do a Ubuntu Minimal installation (which is akin to Arch) and use Ubuntu's kernel since it isn't bloated.

Howdoiopenmykeyboard? I cantpressthe space bar. sometimes.Ihave a w520

I guess. I don't really consider an occasional 15 minute compile too much work, but to each their own.

You fags talking about Linux this, Linux that. OpenBSD is the only OS fit to run on a ThinkPad.

T460 why not

ThinkPad plus eGPU
EZ

Very nice, especially that IPS and the condition

>tfw snagged a T420 with FHD+, i7, 8gb ram, 512gb ssd, fingerprint reader and Nvidia 4200m for $160

I bought a T410 for $20
I thought ThinkPads were a meme, until my laptop died and I needed a quick replacement.
The keyboard is fucking awesome, but I still haven't gotten used to the trackpoint.

Anyone have experience with laptops previously owned by the government?

Yes

Is the p50 the best Thinkpad in production right now?

I have a few
if you ever contact support don't freak out if they forward you to federal government support

What's the cheapest thinkpad to push 1080p video to a TV with?

Despite being straight, I'd suck a dick for FHD converter board for T420/T430.

i'm never going to use the optical drive, should i replace it with one of those 2.5" HDD holders? i'd like it to be portable though, so idk if it'll be significantly heavier

T460 why nicht

T420 with i7

Gracias, senior

por que no T460

Just buy one and don't put in the hard drive if it's too heavy