I spent 1 hour trying to jam a cat 5 cable into an RJ-45 head before realizing it was already crimped...

I spent 1 hour trying to jam a cat 5 cable into an RJ-45 head before realizing it was already crimped. In the end I had the orange pair the wrong way around in one head

What's the most stupid tech thing you've done?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/failed-windows-3-1-system-blamed-for-taking-out-paris-airport/
engadget.com/2015/06/14/amiga-controls-school-district-hvac/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

way back when, over a decade ago, I had this NT4 machine that couldn't see anything on the network, and nothing on the network could see it. I spent three hours checking settings on both ends, reinstalling drivers, NT4 itself, and various other things.

Problem: the network cable was unplugged. I plugged it in and everything worked just fine.

>over a decade ago, I had this NT4 machine
more like two decades ago

>more like two decades ago
do you have any idea how long old shit takes to die, user

there was an airport in France that had to turn away flights for several hours because a crucial piece of the air-traffic control system was running on a Windows 3.1 system that crashed. This was last year. 2015.

>Windows 3.1
>2015
Surely you jest

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/failed-windows-3-1-system-blamed-for-taking-out-paris-airport/

>tfw inserting your usb into the laptop ethernet port and wondering why it's not working

What in the actual fuck.

someone asked me if I could fix their laptop as the wifi had broken. Nothing would make that motherfucker work, so I made them buy a new wifi card. That didnt work either. Then I realised laptops have a switch at the front to turn wifi on and off. You live and learn

We had to send an engineer to a site after they said they inserted the USB we posted them into their domain controller. When the engineer checked they had managed to jam into into a free network port

99% of the world is not on a rolling-release model.

Most large financial institutions, at their very core, run on COBOL written in the late 60s and early 70s. Large health systems run on an abomination called MUMPS from the same decade. (Google it, it's horrible) Large companies that try to keep with the times often have a few NT4 virtual machines running on their monster servers, supporting some old application that never got updated. A whole school district was, as of last year, controlling all its HVAC systems with a Commodore Amiga (engadget.com/2015/06/14/amiga-controls-school-district-hvac/)

I do this shit all the time with my laptop because the LAN port is right next to the USB port. It still happens if I don't plug all my cables in a specific order.

can I make the big bucks by learning some old crap like COBOL or MUMPS and being the only one who can maintain these things?

Is your laptop Asus?

Yes, actually. Old COBOL hands are retiring fast. There's a demand for maintenance of these ancient systems, and rapidly dwindling supply of programmers able and willing to do it. If you're willing to learn ancient languages and environments and do a lot of shit work in them, you can earn a king's ransom in consulting fees.

HP

Linux Sys Admin here. I ran some shit like this on a client server.

for dir_del in $(find ~+ -maxdepth 1 -type d ! -name 'some-shit'); do rm -rfv ${dir_del}; done

I wanted to remove all directories except for one. I was 100% sure that code would do it as I ran it first with just printing what it returned and it returned a lot of shit but not the directory I wanted to keep so I was satisfied. I ran it with "rm -rfv" and I did not notice that along with all of the stuff I wanted to delete it returned my current working directory. Needles to say I deleted all of that niggers shit. He did not even notice so I did not get shit for it.

Bought an H87 board for my LGA 1151 Memelake processor. Didn't even notice until I got home after a two hour drive. I bought a shitty MSI PC MATE board afterwards. At least it serves it's purpose

Dell Latitude D640?

Sony Vaio

checking the monitor for faults, when it was just brightness/contrast turned all the way down by my assosiate.

samba fucking share mounted inside some home dir, which was to be deleted. share wasn't.