/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

>what do you have
>what do you want
>why did you have to buy a keyboard with browns because you couldnt use one with blues since you still live at your basement
>why is this placebo
>why are you poor and you have to chose a keyboard with chink cherry mx knockoffs
>why do you type faster at your rubber dome $5 keyboard
>why did you spent your paycheck on those fancy keycaps
>why did you spent $200 in a keyboard and you aren't able to touchtype

Also, General mechanical keyboard thread - Throw Back edition.

previous thread>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/QJD7fSGU
invyr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=I_RADO0haT8
caseking.de/search?sSearch=Ducky
thinkgeek.com/product/ivrm/
shop.daskeyboard.com/collections/products/products/das-keyboard-4-ultimate
wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-104-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2046
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1014
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

Why is the buyers template linked twice?
Why not delete it?

I don't know, but we used to have a buyers guide
>pastebin.com/QJD7fSGU
I wouldn't recommend it since its horribly outdated. Also mechanical keyboards have exploded in popularity and now there are options for pretty much everything.
Its much better to use the buyers template and list of your requirements then to go looking through pages and pages of different keyboards asking questions about each one you come across

Where can I get keycap replacements for my CM Quickfire TK for a reasonable price?
I was gifted this keyboard by a friend, and he tried to make some "modifications" to the keycaps.

post pictures

The biggest problem is the non standard bottom row and I don't really know of anyone that makes specialty keycaps. You could buy individual blank keycaps that will fit, but that's really about it for that row. Everything else is standard which you can buy on places like ebay for super cheap

here goes...

nice....
that bottom row is gonna make things really hard to replace tho without spending a lot of money

Why did he press 4 so much? Why did he press U and M so little?

what about the other ones, though?
and what numbers are we talking about?

that's a question.

I want to replace a couple keycaps. I want the Print to be on the side. Where can I get this done? PBT Preferred.

"Friend"
Hmmmmmm

it's fully functioning, it's just the keycaps that are kind of fucked

Fair enough, the keycaps make it look worse than actually is then.
Any idea what he was trying to do?

he was trying to mod it, I think he was going for the "blank look".

I want the keyboard in op

The whole point of having a buyer's guide is to stop people from asking ANY questions. Put it back.

No it just raises more questions

But its purpose is to stop the questions from happening, so put it back.

Well if you want a Dolch Pac keyboard you have to buy it with the PC. The cheapest ones on ebay are like 300 bucks

We got rid of it beacuse people kept shitposting. Besides just use the buyers template its better for narrowing down your choices. Looking at the buyers guide for a full size keyboard doesnt help if you want it with certain features so the buyers template is better

My Das Keyboard keycaps are fading at the most used keys after many years.
How much do new keycaps cost and where to get them?

You can get cheap ones on ebay or aliexpress for like 30 bucks

>check for keycaps
>pic related shows up in the results
holy shit what

>when you clean your keyboard and then have to get the keycaps secured into the stabilizers again
It's always such a frustrating experience because there's almost no wiggle space and I can't see shit, is there some kind of trick to it that I'm missing?

fuck forgot text, where can i get these stabilizers without such a big bump

I don't understand why people use mechanical keyboards. Can you please explain it to me?

they feel better to type on, easier to personalise, they sound better

Last I checked people use them to type things.

Which part of it don't you understand?

Been using this every day for almost two years now. Don't plan on changing it in the near future but I need to know if there is a stiffer key than blues. Blues are too light for me, but greens are harder to find. I will probably buy a 60%.
If I don't change this one then I'm thinking about getting new keycaps because they're worn and shiny. Any suggestions?

Help me

buy a keyboard without the useless numberpad

does it stick or just scratch?

add grease

Did you hook the metal ends into the plastic loops?
If you did that, how can they grind on the side?

So there is no real advantage aside from personal preference?

Are there any recommend /csg/ keyboards?

Pretty much. The only advantage that they have is NKRO, which doesn't really make a difference in almost all use cases.

You put the retaining pegs in backwards

Depends on the switches and use case. Click and/or tactile switches provide haptic feedback on switch actuation. A competent typist will use this to increase accuracy and decrease how often they bottom out. Mech switches are also more consistent over their lifespan, so you don't end up compensating for changing switch behavior. Not bottoming out hard all the time is also better for avoiding joint-related RSI.
What they won't do is magically make a shitty typist faster.

The sound of a Cherry green switch clicking makes all the women in a 50 yard radius get wet, so there's that

I've got the CM Storm Quickfire XT as my first mechanical keyboard and I'm getting the Godspeed SA keycap set. Went with brown Cherry MX switches with o-rings to not disturb my girlfriend. Feels just like a rubber dome keyboard but with much better quality.
I'm spending a fortune on the keycaps because of the numpad and because I need a nordic ISO set, but I love the look.

finally

gateron is so much smoother

but they feel worse

Tomoko, Magiforce, E-element/Eagle, Azio

Das Keyboard 4 all the way, with Cherry MX blues, can't stand the reds and the browns feel too much like a standard rubber dome keyboard.

I wish I had money to buy one of those. But by importing and paying all the taxes it will end up costing 1000 bucks for me.

>tfw already have an external amp/dac, so the volume knob is useless to you because you'll always want 100% volume
>tfw media keys look kind of useless too
Otherwise I'd get it just for the matte finish instead of the glossy of my das keyboard 1

Is Das Keyboard 4 really worth it? I'm talking about the one with MX Blues.

Have a HHKB Pro JP and the symbols on the keyboard don't match what comes out. Emailed PFU and this is what I have to do:
Because your computer is not correctly recognizing the keyboard, it is necessary to change the registry.

We will recommend the backup of the registry to be taken for safety before you rewrite the registry.

The content of ”\ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ i8042prt \ Paremeters” is change and reboot the personal computer.

Registry of Japan array keyboard

LayerDriver JPN kbd106.dll
OverrideKeyboardIdentifier PCAT_106KEY
OverrideKeyboardSubtype 2

Best Regards.

This won't fuck my computer up right?

Why must you turn this thread into a den of lies?

I wouldn't say it's worth it compared to other mechanical keyboards which you can get much cheaper with the mx blues, it's really down to personal preference, the matte finish is very nice and it feels good to type on.

what does /mkg/ think?
invyr.com/

They claim to be the smoothest switch on the market

>no name of manufacturer

I can't link the thread from geek hack it thinks is spam

Can you name the manufacturer here?

Again it won't let me link the thread so this image is the best I can do

What is this for on Unicomp boards?

This doesn't name the manufacturer.
In the linked video it's interesting that he does not compare the Panda switch to Cherry or Topre, which are generally considered better than Garon.
I would've liked to see that comparison.
youtube.com/watch?v=I_RADO0haT8

*Gateron

Not a fan of linear switches so naah

For some reason they won't name it but maybe if we asking him a bunch of times he'll say something

This is obviously some astroturfing operation, he's not going to name the manufacturer because it's part of his contract as a shill.

Ok so, I need help. I am looking for a new keyboard under $150 USD, and I can't check out on the mechanicalkeyboards site. I used to have a Leopold FC750R with browns, which was top tier in my mind, but it was stolen. Now I am in the market for a new one. I liked browns, but if possible I would prefer to have something that needs a bit more force to actuate. Clears are of course in my head, but I have also been thinking about Blacks and Greens.

My main use would be typing, but I will also be playing a ton of RTS, MOBA, MMO, and FPS games.

What brands/boards would you recommend, and where is a good site to buy them?

how do you even get your keyboard stolen?

>Budget
$150USD
>Location (continent at least)
United States
>Preferred switch type
Not an obstacle, just has to need over 40g of force to actuate
>Layout
QWERTY
>Form factor
TKL or Full. Smaller is fine, but preferably one of those two.
>Backlight
Preferably no.
>Previous/current keyboards
CM Storm Quickfire TK, Das Keyboard S, Noppoo Lolita, Filco M2, Leopold FC750R

>what do you have
I have this.
I like it, not disappointed.

I decided to finally get a new keyboard.
After I've been searching for months, my preferred style (asthetics) would be the WASD CODE - pure, simple, "grown up" font etc.

But I need:
- RGB backlighting
- media keys (mute, volume at minimum)

>Budget
open
>Location (continent at least)
Germany
>Preferred switch type
Cherry MX Brown
>Layout
QWERTZ
>Form factor
FULL
>Backlight
yes, pref RGB
>Previous/current keyboards
A really old but only 6 months in use "Windows 95 Keyboard" (OEM LiteOn), pic related right now

Its gaymer looks, but from that I recommend a Corsair K70 RGB

Ducky One (pic related), You can find them at
caseking.de/search?sSearch=Ducky

Shine 5 would be my recommendation
don't get since that exactly what you don't want

thx, but couldn't stand those aesthetics for one minute

yes I'm aware of them but ONE hasn't RGB

yes thx, the Shine 5 is on my very little watch list. I was hoping if there are any alternatives, cause I don't like the casing of the Shine 5, whereas the ONE has the perfect casing imo (pure).
I have to say I'm very autistic regarding this, it has to be such way or nothing. maybe I go for the ONE and quit the RGB.

Its not available in Germany, but there is a Ducky One with RGB lighting here in the united states. The shipping will be expensive, but hopefully you can find it maybe somewhere nearby like France or Belgium

it sadly seems to be TKL only though

should I?

Yes or no on this one: thinkgeek.com/product/ivrm/

If you're feeling truly autistic, you could try to secure a broken Shine 2/3 and put the Shine 5's internals in that. I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but can't really justify blowing the money on a Shine 5 when then only problem with my 3 is that a few LEDs died.

I've done my best to find pics of the internals of both, though, and it looks like the mounting holes should line up.

you can get a filco minila air for less than half that, leaving you up to $180 to buy a tablet stand to go with it

>that pricetag
Not worth it. The typewriter-style keyset is cute but it doesn't justify the high price of the overall package. Besides, can't you buy it separately? I thought I saw that on Massdrop.

no

use the money for a hooker

$15 of shipping just for some keycaps that you can fit in a bag.
Now thats jewery

Any number pads out there that are made out of aluminum? Preferably not DIY.

To be fair that is from US to Aus, $15 is pretty standard for small packages over that distance

Guys i know switch are quite personal taste but
are black switches better than red ?
In the graphics of OP they appear in the same "category".

They're heavier, that's it.

reds have an actuation force of 40g while blacks are at 65g

well then I might not be that autistic but also I couldn't imagine using a used keyboard.

I also had a look at the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L, but it doesn't have a mute key (but volume and stop/play?!?), so this is a killer too...

so they just requires more strength ?

Looks like it has 4 macro keys in the top right, unused. You might be able to rebind one of those to "mute" in the software.

Yup.

those are "profile keys"

pic related from the porduct page, it's THAT redicolous, all media but no mute

It's less about "strength" and more about "you can rest your fingertips on the keys without pressing them by accident"

Hey bros.

I am looking to purchase a mechanical keyboard and would like your input.

shop.daskeyboard.com/collections/products/products/das-keyboard-4-ultimate
wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-104-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2046 (Leopold FC980M)
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1014 (Ducky Shine 4 Blue)

>I am ambivalent to backlights.
>I'd prefer full sized keyboards
>I'd prefer preset blank keycaps although I can switch it later
>I'd prefer a switch with good feedback

sticker

I'd choose the leopold because it's more compact and the 1800 layout is pretty neat, but you'll have an easier time finding keycaps for the ducky.

Das and wasd are overpriced.

I have a Das, would not recommend. They're very solid standard no frills keyboards and that's all. You're paying a quite high premium just for good build quality (except for the keycaps which are shitty thin ABS you should probably replace) and the brand name alone.

Cost-saving measures, as Unicomp is still using the same original IBM molds.

If you want to buy WASD then get it without the keycaps as the stock ones are absolute garbage for the price you are paying

Buy naked WASD (no keycaps), order some caps, and type on the bare stems until they arrive in the mail.