/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/social_contract
debian.org/devel/constitution
youtube.com/watch?v=q9mXyakv2i8
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-FjMWPHq2SpmV6Z3yK35ScVYOG-o7CD9aJn5GSD42Ew/edit
wikivs.com/wiki/Lubuntu_vs_Xubuntu
l3net.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops-part-2/
archwomen.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Debian best distro
1. Respects your freedom first and foremost, according to a social contract.
debian.org/social_contract
2. Allows you to knowingly opt-in to non-free software, if you want/need it.
3. Stable by default.
4. Allows you to knowingly opt-in to a rolling release, if you want/need it.
5. Has a constitution to give no single entity too much power over decisions.
debian.org/devel/constitution
6. One of the eldest and most influential distros to this day.
7. Harbors SJWs

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

Stop already. We hate shills.

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

>stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.
you can say whatever you want about stallman but this is simply not true.
He's autistic when it comes to following his personal moral GNU/code.

>posting stale old cancerous reddit pasta over and over for the sole purpose of getting (You)s
a) consider suicide
b) do something useful with your life

How much faster would xfce debian be over lubuntu?
Also, does the debian iso have options for installing a wm/de or will I have to set that up after installation?

>tfw it's a real quote
youtube.com/watch?v=q9mXyakv2i8
based RMS

Not very, I'm not sure about ubuntu specifically as it may have extra programs and start up scripts, but LXDE and XFCE are extremely close in their basic performance. The full install disk does have those options, but you might get a bit of extra shit you don't need/want.

My new toy (lego ev3) runs linux.

Which is ridiculous since there's absolutely no support for it on this OS (OS X and Windows only).

Hopefully I'll get some old sd card so I can boot debian on it and get ssh access

>LXDE and XFCE are extremely close in their basic performance
Citation?

I just installed gentoo.
Does it get comfy?
For now
>hours to compile Firefox
>still no sound
>systemd dependencies everywhere. I feel like a vegan trying to avoid it
>still "I don't know what I'm doing" feel

But I have to admit, what runs runs smoothly as fuck.

I consider getting back to arch for short term comfiness but I want to be part of the Gentoo meme club so I don't feel like coming back despite the efforts.

How to convince myself to keep on the road?

>gentoo
>systemd
either bait or i don't know what.

openrc is one of the main reasons why would anyone use gentoo

Post pictures, you are a liar.

I just filter it at this point.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-FjMWPHq2SpmV6Z3yK35ScVYOG-o7CD9aJn5GSD42Ew/edit

Benchmarks from a gamer, but includes memory usage at idle.

wikivs.com/wiki/Lubuntu_vs_Xubuntu

Less than a quarter of a gigabyte of difference here. Which holds to the previous statistic.

l3net.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops-part-2/

XFCE still a little over LXDE. Seems consistent.

So unless you're running a machine that probably should not be running a desktop in the first place, both LXDE and XFCE are going to have very similar, if not the same performance.

I am using openrc. But systemd is everywhere. As an example, I saw a systemd dependency while emerge -av xfce4-meta

Memory usage doesn't correlate directly with performance.

learn to USE flags

GNOME is also famously systemd dependent.

People should ALWAYS use their brain when it comes to RMS quotes or email caps. There are a lot of fakes around and people still think it's some real shit.

How to discover fakes mails for ex.? RMS writes in emacs, following the oldschool fromatting (80 characters max line width, 2 spaces after sentence, 1 after word), etc. If you see a mail like pic related, it's fake.

Go away tripfag cancer, nobody likes you.

Very little else does. Your HDD speed is going to affect both desktops equally, neither are going to do any damage to your CPU as neither use any sort of rendered OpenGL layer like the default Ubuntu desktop and KDE can/do. There's not anything else you should really be paying attention to.

Dude is fucking retarded.

Like those guys that drop retarded facts that are wrong in casual conversation.

For comparsion, a random real mail.

Am I doomed to openbox?
I remembered that installating either xfce or GNOME magically fixed my sound config in arch and wanted to try the same for my gentoo.

Whatever, any memes or shitposts are welcome at Sup Forums, tripfags aren't and belong to reddit. Fuck off.

Maybe you would feel more comfortable reading comments that you can affect actual negativity in the form of a downvote, doesn't seem like you feel comfortable reading posts on Sup Forums.

What should I absolutely get after installing eOS ?

install gentoo

I want to install linux on an old laptop.
It has a first generation Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and one of those shitty Intel integrated graphics.
I'm torn between Ubuntu MATE (I like gnome 2, it's lightweight, ubuntu has all the packages I could ever want, LTS until 2019) or Linux Mint, which I don't know much about.
Which one should I go for?

stop derailing the thread and fuck off already

took 8 mins to download 49MB of files
is this right?

The other email you're responding to is real.

Stallman doesn't approve.

A sex change, you massive pussy

Fuck off, SJWbian shill

Nah, there are tons of other good WMs and there's also some available older versions of DEs that run on OpenRC. Again, set your use flag to take away systemd to get more options and read the gentoo wiki about some of the choices you have.

Your sound was probably fixed by pulseaudio, but it's a nightmare on Gentoo and I highly recommend you checkout alsa-utils, open alsamixer and see if pressing M (mute/unmute) on the channels and bringing them up helps. If not, there's a wiki page on asoundrc and alsa list.

Lol, Debian works fine despite the SJW boogeyman. I'm installing it on my laptop as I type this.

Daily reminder that women matter.
archwomen.org/

How do I make a bootable USB drive from the Linux ISO?

Linux provides no ISOs.

On Linux: use DD.
On Windows: use LiLi.

I don't think anyone ITT has a likeable personality

>Debian
>Works

It's unofficial and dead.

>all genders

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Daily reminder to check male programmers privilege checklist

Install ROSA image writer

What is this?

Ya for Windows. Lili looks good. I've used Rufus in the past, that still viable?

dd if=my.iso of=/dev/sdb1 bs=number
sync
reboot
f12f12f12f12
HDD2

and there you go

apt fucking up, as always

Yes, debian works, on my machine at least.

same here

Rufus is good.

Until you have to reinstall debian again

I don't know, I've never tried it. But LiLi is very easy to use and lets you keep on using your drive for other files.

>Not checking the output apt

A newfag can do this a seasoned user can't.

I'm installing it now. Pretty smooth so far.

Cool, thx

>checking the output apt
checking what? apt fucking up the desktop?
until you install plebian next time

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Debian has given NOTHING back to the Linux community but for SJWS

This is my "next time" though. But why would I need to install it again?

I used to like Crunchbang, I don't know if Crunchband++ is as good.
You could checkout xubuntu/lubuntu too.

Same reason why you removed your previous debian installation

When you use autoremove it's list what will it remove.

Debian Sid. Or if you're bloddy new, go with Ubuntu.

Arch

Yet I haven't run into any issues in my next installation as you claim.

How'd I do Sup Forumsentoomen?

bunsenlabs is the new crunchbang after it died, crunchbang++ is afaik just a alternative project by some random fag
he said lightweight

Arch is lightweigh

Why are you on an outdated kernel running Gentoo?

because it's been half an hour and you haven't even finished your half assed freetard wannabe distro yet

arch is bloated, packages are twice as huge as on debian for example

>Crunchbang
>user-friendly

alien and lilo were maintained by debian maintainers. Lilo is now a slackware thing. Alien was cucked by the systemd terror, and promised to leave, but maybe didn't happened. 2 distro on the meme is debian based though.

woah I sure have some fans don't I

>what is package splitting
your new is showing

What wasn't user-friendly in your opinion? It even had a graphical package manager.

I just reused my kernel from Arch. I'll probably build a new one tonight

No it hasn't. I'm at the part where you select and install software. The only "problem" I ran into was loading wifi firmwares, but all I had to do was copy them to a usb and plug it in.

>what is package splitting
Enjoy your broken packages

Freetard distros, everyone

So nothing

this is the best pepe i've seen in a long time

Rest assured no one here likes you.

If you are looking for a SJW hugbox this isn't the place, debqueer

>>what is package splitting
>Enjoy your broken packages
Why aren't you running a statically-linked distro?

>Freetard distros, everyone
Not sure how I'm supposed to respond to this, I guess we're done.

I don't have autism

how does it feel to be the thread's worst cancer?

>I got owned: the post

Nice denial.

What did he meme by this

>denial
No? lol

WHAT did debian do? Wayland development? Hotpatching? KCraft? Any desktop environment? Snaps? Flatpack? Sandboxie? OpenZFS?

I know:
>anti harassment wiki

Seriously, please fuck off. This is a friendly thread. This means actual useful informations, not stupid memes and false informations you're spreading here every day. You're pretty much killing the thread. Newcomers will just turn 360° and walk away and linuxmasterrace memers feel at home. Seriously, kill yourself.

>tfw still cannot access pomf.cat

so... a-any good pomf clone alternative?