/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00TA4HRMQ
amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1XKC2U
amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTPHK5W
amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB650BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01BY7ZMXC
rtings.com/headphones/graph#325/438
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does changing the earpads on a MDR 7506 change the sound in anyway?? Does it make it better or worse? I've been thinking of getting velour pads.

Changing pads will change the sound but, it's hard to say how or how much. Worse seal might be an issue with velours resulting into a little less bass. Whether you prefer this is up to you.

DT770 then, getting those and a Zalman mic.

I hope that you enjoy treble peaks.

How bad is it if your amp pops when you turn it on. I have a Schitt Magni 2U. The manual says that it should take about 8 seconds for the amp to start after turning it on, but it starts instantly and there is a pretty loud pop.

Do you know of any good earpads for the 7506s?
Hopefully ones that'll enhance low-end frequencies a little bit?

You can't increase low frequency amplitude with earpads if the ones on the headphones now seal perfectly. You'll have to use equalization to do that. I don't have experience with aftermarket pads for those headphones so I can't be of much help there.

Probably not bad but in most decent amplifiers you have a relay that switches the output on after a small delay. 8 seconds is on the longer side this. Sounds like the relay might be broken on yours. Send Schiit mail/support ticket or however their customer service works to ask more about it.

If you want to be extra careful with your headphones during the amplifier's ON/OFF cycle, plug the headphones in only after the amplifier has properly turned on and keep the volume pot turned all the way down when you do so. Unplug the headphones from the amplifier before turning it off. A decent headphone amplifier has protective circuitry and a relay to make this pointless but cheap ones might not and in some cases the voltage peak could be harmful or at the very least uncomfortable.

No wonder that it's called Schiit.
My cheap Fiio E10K doesn't have this issue.

>Budget
Less than $60
>Location
United States
>Source
Phone (G4)
>Preferred type of headphone
In ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced
>Past headphones
Shitty Phillips ones, Klipsch R6

I filled out a support request with Schitt.
I bought it around the time the model came out, so I think that it may be a q/a issue. Fortunately I still have a little over a month on my warranty. I should have done this sooner, but I thought that the popping was normal. I read a review of the product recently and it specifically metioned that there was no popping when turning it on or off, so that is what set this off. Also I am planning on buying some better headphones, so I would not want to damage them.

Audio Technica ATH-M40X for 50 bucks? are they ok? I don't have many options where I live

My shitty auvio earphones just broke and I'm fucking done with their brand. They all break within a few months. I need some good 30$ earphones I can replace them with. I have insurance so I can replace them with any 30$ headphones in store. I usually get them at radio shack. Suggest some new earphones for me guys.

The pop should be there. That audible pop is the relay switching.

Shame that audible pops in high quality electronics is seen as a defect from underage people these days.

Can anyone tell me what amp and headphones xiphmont is using?

and dennon

Great deal for 50 bucks, add HM5 pads for extra comfort and you're golden.

Best non-hybrid tube amp for inb4 ld mk2

Alright so my G35 just died after 3 years of great service, if anyone could shoot a few suggestions before I make a decision, it'd be much appreciated.

>Budget
About 100$
>Location
São Paulo, Brazil
>Source
PC, either 3,5mm or USB
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
As much as possible, preferably no 'leather' cups
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Razer Carcharias (comfy as fuck, lasted fuckall for the priced I paid), Steelseries 5Hv2 (Pretty alright, didn't last much either), Steelseries Siberia(Same as the 5Hv2 regarding comfyness, sound was great), Logitech G35 (decent comfyness, lasted a A LOT, sound was decent)

Yes I know my headphone choice has been Normie-level but I've been trying to improve that recently.

>underage think relays are silent
>weak or cold soldering joints
Man you really don't know what you're talking about,

>Budget
$175
>Location
U.S
>Source
Computer
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Medium to High
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy, crisp
>Past headphones
Ear Force Stealth 400

preferably wireless, mic optional

HyperX Cloud I with HM5 velour pads. Even has a detachable mic.

>wireless

>preferably

you got me there, any wireless recommendations?

Does anyone have these? How are they (compared to the DT770 and T70)?

Two requests for suggestions

>Budget
$400
>Location
United States
>Source
laptop or PC, 3.5mm
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy, looking at 6+ hour sessions 4 or 5 days per week
>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced
>Past headphones
All IEMs. Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH100, JVC FXD-80.

>comments
Looking to buy nice over-ear headphones for use at work. Portability is not an issue. Sound isolation is; shit's noisy at work.

>budget
$150
>new IEMs
Currently using Shure SE215, wondering if there's something better out there. Having used the Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH100, JVC FXD-80, what else should I be looking for in the $100-150 price range?

Sup Forums's thoughts on the ATH-CKS1100iS?

You're stupid. Sell it and get a usb class 1 FiiO E10K or O2+ODAC. Youtube relays wtf you on about.

No one answered this last thread

What headphones is HUMA wearing ?

and if she is indeef using lightning you just know she is evil

I'm looking for some bluetooth headphones under $100.

I got these three out of online reviews

amazon.com/gp/product/B00TA4HRMQ

amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1XKC2U

amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTPHK5W

I'm leaning towards the Sony ones, if only because I know the brand.

Can anyone provide any input?

I'm pretty much retarded when it comes to headphones.

>Budget
$100
>Location
USA
>Source
FiiO K1
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open pref, either works
>Comfort level
I dont mind tight clamps
>Preferred tonal balance
V-Shaped (Bass>Treble) or Bassy
>Past headphones
Superlux HD 681
Samson SR850
Samson SR950

950's are my favorite so far for music (Drum&Bass, Downtempo, Ambient) and 850's for gaming (sounds more natural, better sounstage and clarity for games like Battlefield,CSGO and Insurgency)

>want to buy o2+odac or element
>no optical in on either to plug a console in
pls jds give me the option to ditch the coaxial and get an optical in, I'll pay an extra $50

Go with the modi/magni 2 ubers then.

Added these to the list amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB650BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01BY7ZMXC

I've had my sennheiser 558's for a while now, and I just noticed that the adjustable head and is loose on one side and tighter on the other, enough to where on one side the headphone might adjust while being put on. I hate them not being even in length, is there any way to fix this?

>Budget
$500
>Location
USA
>Source
PC 3.5mm
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy, 5+ hours per day
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
HD555

Would like some advice on noise canceling headphones to be able to tune out my roommates chatering.

>Budget

>Location

>Source
Phone
Over or on ear, must be portable
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
The comfier the better
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or warm
>Past headphones
Porta pros, MDR 7506.
Pls help.

Budget- 100$
Location- US

Looks like the V-Moda Forza dropped recently.

relay switch makes an audible click but it's quite different from the pop or thump that is heard when you turn on amplifiers with headphones attached. underage what?

That thump is the power rushing forward in laymen terms.

The Magni has a relay switch that make an audible pop.

If any of you kids actually rtfm you'd see it's mentioned there.

DAC Help
Nobsound NS-08E Vacuum Tube
vs.
FiiO E10K DAC

First off all, DAC != amp.
Secondly
>tubes

Get the E10K.

Thirdly
>hybrid tube amp
e10k, no competition. The nobsound isn't even a dac, just an amp.

If a very clear pop is heard after the relay switch happens, it's pretty poor design which could've been suppressed with a flyback diode depending on where the pop originates in the amplifier. user said his Magni turned on immediately and makes a pop when it does while the relay should delay the turn on process close to 10 seconds. Definitely not normal operation. Read the posts next time?

E10K comes with the micro usb cable included?

Found it does.

Driving DT 880 btw, E10K best bang for buck or any thing else sub $100?

SMSL M3 is another to consider.

A relay is going to make a pop regardless.

All the relay does is prevent the power to the headphones. Look at the circuit. The amp itself is on once you flip the switch.

I did read...

Just got a fresh pair of HD 600, really like them but it looks like there is something off with their sound balance. Left cup sounds softer and a bit bassier than the right one, but more importantly lots of songs looks to be skewed toward the left cup. I discovered this just yesterday and I am gonna test out them more but this shit driving me NUTS, I did check my audio settings. Anyone had this problem? Any solutions?

Also, my left cup is lose to rotate, anyone knows how to fix it?

>What's a good head unit for my car?
Single din
Bluetooth (why I'm upgrading, phone 3.5mm broke)
RGB
USB
NFC
At least 200W (but that should be almost everything)

The right channel would cut out a lot on my phone the contact wasn't taught enough, got around it for a year by soldering a little glob to the right channel on the plug but that was fiddly as well. The cable broke all together and I don't want to make another one.

I've been using barebones dt880 on my computer for some years.

I didn't give much thought about impedance, amps, etc. at the time when buying them (they're the 600ohm model) and I'm wondering what I should be getting for them for a nice little improvement? Nothing too fancy though, maybe around 100 bucks.

>Budget
~$35 USD max
>Location
Australia
>Source
Phone and Computer
IEM
>Comfort level
For long listening periods

I am looking for comfortable IEMs with a good quality microphone for voice calls. I was looking at the Xiaomi Mi IV Hybrid because I heard the mic was good on those. Any suggestions?

HD600's drivers aren't accurately matched in the first place.

I've never heard of this. as someone buying them in the future, should I worry about it?

It's your ears. Try them the opposite way this time.

Holy shit got this for 70€ and I have to say it was fucking worth. My M50s now have something resembling an actual soundstage and I can hear mids now. Still gotta try with my dt880 and hd598

>My M50s now have something resembling an actual soundstage and I can hear mids now.
Your old source must have been downright broken if you think these are altered.

Did you read a single graph on IF?

Yes, because it's an important issue.

Yes, IF FR measurements are shit.

rtings.com/headphones/graph#325/438

Channel matchings there reflect how they tend to measure everywhere else other than IF. Tyll should get a new pair to measure.

Then on which side they lean more?

Buy one and discover it by yourself.

M50X beats all headphones in that site

Poor seal on M50X there.

Well, it was a left side. I just wanted to ask is this a reoccurring and a consistent 'feature', if it's by design and it will persist with every model or each new one can have it's own imbalance on left, right of non of the cups?

I just got them so I could go and turn them back to the shop and get pair of different ones.

>warm headphone
great, I think I'll get it then

Rollercoaster is the proper term.

Your pair might be defective, or maybe your left ear has something wrong.

>Budget
£70-£110 rn. £150 at most if it's worth the difference
>Location
England
>Source
SMSL M3
Over ear & detachable wire. Don't care about portabilty
>Open or closed
Either
>Comfort level
Clamping is fine so long as it doesn't hurt after 3 hours
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, crisp, some soundstage. I can't stand veil, muddied mids, sibilance or piercing... just want to hear everything and not be underwhelmed [recessed, dull] or overwhelmed. I like detail but dislike sterility
>Past headphones
JVC S500 (used for like a week, too bassy and no detail), Sony MDR-10RC

Bump

Any response would be great, thanks.

What headphones have maximum comfort? I wear glasses and want to be able to wear headphones all day without pain.

Budget is flexible, I just wanna know my options.

>$200 HD650's on Massdrop

>Tfw still poorfag

FUCK! Time to sell something quick.

Is it worth it to get a DAC and or amp for my DT770 pro 80ohms?

Which closed headphones are more neutral/better quality than Brainwavz HM5 (£70) up to £140? Do open headphones leak like if you were playing a speaker?

None, desu
Pay more or get a solid state amp

at least the HD600 poorfags will finally shut up

Superlux HD668B or HD662 EVO?
>inb4 HD681 EVO
No, they didn't make a good seal with my glasses.

not him had same "issue" tried other way around left sounds louder, is my right ear fucked? or it's brain trickery?

One of the drivers might be failing. I had the same experience with a 650 (well don't remember exactly how it sounded), until it completely died.

Try swapping the cups/drivers. If it's that, you can buy single cups/drivers from Sennheiser.

>One of the drivers might be failing.
what? how does it even happen?
there is nothing to fail unless you physically break it or burn it with POWER

>HD650s
That upsets me. I really wish they went with the 600s instead

Best on-ear headphones in a size of Koss Porta Pro?

I'm looking for something decent: $80-$150 range. I need headphones to be very very comfortable. 3 years ago, I bough HD 280 but they put too much pressure on my head, and as a result, I cannot use these headphones for long. I would prefer neural sound. On ear/ Over ear don't matter. I mainly listen to hiphop, indie, and sometimes folk music.

hd598 vs dt880 for the same price?

DT880, this isn't a legit question.

I don't know how, but it definitively happens.

rabbit vs hedgehog who would win?
598s weak bass
880s have moderate bass
semi closed vs open

>Budget
Less than $400 USD
>Location
USA USA USA
>Source
PC sound card
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfy as Possible
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or Warm ie. not bright
>Past Headphones
Senn. HD 518 --> ATH-M50x --> Beyer DT880

Yes

Anyone?

Why? The 650's are better and have matching drivers. This is a much better deal.

The HD600 is a poorfag/redditor meme, but it doesn't make sense anymore now that the HD6XX is out.

Hi /spg/, I think this is a bit of a stupid question, but: If my source sounds low, and it seems unbalanced (one side always louder) do I just need an amp or an amp+dac?
thanks in advance.

>Budget
$100-$300
>Location
USA
>Source
iPhone, Desktop PC, 3DS
Over ear and detachable wire. I want to use it wireless while I'm doing exercise, wired when I'm on home, car or airplane using my PC and 3DS (the only reason that I want a headphones for my 3DS is because it's so noisy)
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Very comfy to use it to use it like an hour and make me to do my exercises without problems
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or warm
>Past Headphones
The shitty ass Apple Earpods, they are so uncomfortable.