Why do so many autists use TeX - LaTeX?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/VoLuong/Begin-Latex-in-minutes
rkrishnan.org/posts/2016-03-07-how-is-gopl-typeset.html
khirevich.com/latex/microtype/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Most of the people who use LaTeX are people in academia who need to write 100+ page dissertations with a fuckton of equations and symbols.
The autistic reason to use LaTeX is vim is more lightweight than any office suite.

well everything has it's learning curve and when it comes to equations nothing beats Latex. Just use what you know and are comfortable with, why bother relearning everything?

graphical document tools become terribly slow at 50+ pages

>not using it for making great presentations

Second dog is lulzy.

retards who want to install a 2GB typesetting package instead of using groff with mom macros which is more than likely already installed.

LaTeX vs ConTeXt. which one op? my autism can't take much more

Graphical tools are shit for large documents because you always end up with something not looking right because some random parameter got modified in that paragraph for god knows what reason and you have to start looking into every menu for it

in *TeX everything is in the source code, nothing changes without your notice

XeLaTeX

>coding text

maximum autism

> gedit-latex
> 249 Packages
> Installed size: 252 M
> Is this ok [y/N]:

Until you start fucking with bibtex and everything becomes a non deterministic multiple keep compiling until it works crabfest.

Still a lot better than word though.

Then you just use latexmk and let it worry about the macarronic build process for you.
Unless a compilation error happens. Fuck LaTeX compilation error messages.

>why LaTeX?

Pic related.

>Fuck LaTeX compilation error messages.
What part of
underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 72--74
you don't understand?

I just ignore the underfull/overfull warnings as long as the page looks alright.

Am I a terrible person?

Freedom

No, fuck fixing messages like that

This coming from someone who's used LaTeX for almost ten years

Is latex the best for what it does, or should I learn something else?

Since I don't get the syntax still, what's a good latex editor for loonix while we are at it?

No, only academia typesets anymore. Most publishers want their shit in a semantic language like asciidoc.

LaTeX is the best there is at what it does. But what it does best isn't very nice.

why not markdown?

The Adobe alternative to TeX is FrameMaker, not InDesign

markdown is fine if you only care about xhtml.
Asciidoc was made to be the frontend for docbook XML. Docbook is an industry standard for publishing.

Kile is pretty nice if you use kde already

latex is literal autism

For writing papers or books, yes.

For presentations fuck beamer, seriously fuck it.

I use reveal.js + mathjax for presentations and it's beautiful. I can export animations from numpy to webm and stick them using plain old html.

For note taking I use Markdown + mathjax. It's amazing.

kek. op btfo

>"autists"
>literally all of my professors except for my super autistic chem professor who uses MS Word for some godawful reason

how would you know what program they use?

Open pdf in evince, click properties tab, see creation meta data.

Reading tex/latex docs feels like digging out dinosaurs. You need macros for everything, errors pop out of nowhere. It's a dead horse from another century.

and you call your professor autistic

Never said I wasn't.
Also, not that person.

Nigga have you ever tried to write anything mathematical without LaTeX?

Not him either, but most people rarely change the default font for latex (computer modern), so that's a pretty obvious tell that a document was made in latex.

TeX is for scalable, searchable maths and physics notation.

The beautiful type setting is a side effect.

What the hell does Id have to do with maths?

>I'd rather get RSI from doing repetitive formatting in MS word than be an autist

Got it, OP.

Where do I learn LaTeX?

The Internet.

From the wikibooks page

Copy paste templates of it for your research paper and learn the math syntax as you go along.

...or at least that's what I do, detexify is great but honestly I don't really "know" LaTeX, I just know how to make a decent looking paper lol

You learn the three lines of markup to write a paper, and then google the rest as you need it.

>WYSIWYG

seconding XeLaTeX. Everyone should switch.

My math and CS professors obviously use LaTeX by the font, and the Chem professor obviously uses MS Word because he uploads .docs alongside .pdfs for the lecture notes, and because its distinctly not the LaTeX font.

you can get computer modern in a ttf tho bro. I knew plenty of people with tech anxiety who would use MSFT with computer modern so that people thought they knew latex.

bummer that I didn't know about lyx back then. could've converted them.

Should I write my resume in latex or should I just use HTML/CSS and (optionally) print to PDF?

I don't see why on earth they would do that. I think you'd have to be MORE autistic to pretend to use LaTeX rather than just fucking using LaTeX, especially when you need formatting and sections and math (which it does not take autism to understand).

github.com/VoLuong/Begin-Latex-in-minutes

I just rewrote mine in LaTeX because I didn't feel like installing wine. I prefer a more traditional look, so it worked perfectly for me.

never underestimate the power of insecurity.

>I prefer a more traditional look,
what does that mean these days?

It's quite nice for writing technical documentation and requires less work to write programs that generate nice documents from other text sources than the other markup languages.

> serif font
> occasional small caps
> no color

Items are only distinguished by differing font size, bold/italic, and indentation. If you google example resumes a lot of crap has stupid borders or colored text for headers and stuff.

Think newspaper, but without the restriction of justified columns.

Post your resume with details blurred

>Why do so many autists use TeX - LaTeX?
...because it works?
Why would I use something else when LaTeX does it just fine?

Real UNIX men use troff. t

Needs a fedora

Do you get a lot of replies?

I made mine in Word. then moved it to InDesign. Haven't bothered learning how to design documents in LaTeX, so ID was the clear choice. I do plan on learning more LaTeX though.

I've been slacking on actually putting in submissions, so I can't say if it's an effective format or not.

I have a somewhat specialized background, so I filled in some BS instead of blurring the whole document. It's a little slimmer than my actual one.

Thanks, gave me some ideas

Thanks, I like it

I love Butterick too :^)

>github.com/VoLuong/Begin-Latex-in-minutes
Curse you, user. Curse you. You'll die one day, and I'll laugh. Laugh!

What's the just werkz workflow for getting started with LaTeX on Linux? Is there any downside to using gedit as my editor?

sudo apt install texlive-full or whatever package manager you use
leave that running for the entire 1GB download and install.
Then just use your favorite plaintext editor with texi2pdf.

>typing out LaTeX

It's not that funny user calm down

yes he said shit we all see it

Install the fuckhuge texlive package, write your shit in Gedit and compile it with pdflatex.

TeXstudio is ok, but by no means necessary.

> not preferring consistency

>nearly 2GB download and 3.5GB install size
Holy shit. meanwhile groff with mom and eqn macros is already installed on your system

Thanks
>1.6 GB download though

why would you need to use emoji
that is my beef with that fucking document
why are they everywhere now?

Does latex have support for emoji?

>Not showing off the fact that you're using LaTeX

Yes, the package is big, but it's not because LaTeX itself is bloated, it's because it's installing every goddamn LaTeX extra package ever written. It's a headache for the first half hour while it installs, but it saves a lot of "oh shit I don't have that installed"s down the road.

Why don't they make WYSIWYG lightweight editor for Latex? It would be quite handy and would push the format to masses.

But what does it do that groff can't? Why is it worth the extra 3.5GB of disk space?

>latex
>WYSIWYG
hah. neo-Sup Forums

What is the real problem with that? Or will it become just another bloated office suite as you imply?

It would become just that.
Did you ever use Dreamweaver?

Well, nowadays compilers can write better assembly code than humans.

Sure, but it's not designed to be human readable. You might as well use InDesign if you want WYSIWYG

>groff
>a serious contender for actually laying out text
>implying
look, it's dependable, and it just werks for spitting out basic PDFs, but LaTeX has a lot of shit for layout which makes it a much better option.

Better math support, better layout, more extensions and more extensible (it even does shit like presentations), also technically turing-complete (groff I believe is exclusively a markup language), and a lot more. Yeah, if you just want to use a dead-simple text layout program to get good-enough results, go with groff. If you're publishing a paper, writing a book, or doing anything which requires your text to look top-notch, use LaTeX.

More books are written in troff than latex.

Your point is? I mean, people use sub-optimal tools all the time. I'm saying that people *should* use LaTeX because it's the best in class for putting text onto a page, not that people *do* use it.
Also, I forgot to attach an image because I'm a retard. Groff's official docs admit that it doesn't have a proper line layout algorithm, although it does say that Troff has the same one LaTeX uses, which is nice. LaTeX still has better mathematics support, more extensions, and better support online if you can't figure something out.

Gummi and texstudio are pretty good.

useful for science, chemistry, formulas, etc.

dropouts like to use it to write their resume in which they never finish because it's complete shit because they're dropouts. and then try to pass themselves off online as appearing intelligent for using *tex

other type of retard who does this are graphic design losers who keep repeating "muh typography", typically the ones who insist they're "design experts" for making their site 300px width for "eye control" and "readability" and always have a big fat empty portfolio page because nobody has ever ever hired them

Meanwhile in the real world.
rkrishnan.org/posts/2016-03-07-how-is-gopl-typeset.html
Books are still being made in groff. I haven't seen a latex book in...well literally a decade.

I've only seen books in my Uni library which are basically just a bunch of conference papers in a book. I think I also saw some other book that looked like LaTeX

>science
this, works really well for equations or chemical formulas, and is pretty good at making decent looking tables with bigger sets of data, importing csv values ect.
>resumes, dropouts ect.
all the shitposting aside, its actually pretty good for resumes, just make the template, edit it after so long, pdftex done. nice looking resume.

>I'm saying that people *should* use LaTeX because it's the best in class for putting text onto a page, not that people *do* use it.
>Meanwhile in the real world.
lern2reed, nigger
I get it, *roff is being used in the general publishing, while LaTeX is used in academia. It doesn't change the fact that LaTeX is still technically better than *roff as far as layout capability goes.

But you're wrong. Troff can beat latex hands down. Even tanenbaum (the dragon OS book) says it Hell, even Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment used sun's troff to produce Camera-ready copys. (ie the publisher didn't touch the copy)

the real issue here is
>installing 3gb of data just to make a resume

LaTeX still beats Troff in a few ways. Its mathematics layout is more precise, and there are more packages with better support for more advanced math syntax. The graphing packages in LaTeX are far superior and more capable than Troff's grap. The advantage *roff has is that UNIX fans like it more, and that it's more ubiquitous among Unix-y operating systems. Groff is out the door because of its greedy line algorithm, but you are at least partially correct in that Troff is a good competitor for LaTeX. However, LaTeX still comes out on top in just how much it can do.

Also, LaTeX has microtype, troff lacks it, to my knowledge. Microtype is subtle, but a critical package for my uses (longform pure english documents). See:
khirevich.com/latex/microtype/

this

latex sucks balls, it is autism by definition, I mean imagine the amount of source code to be required, just to write some fucking TEXT DOCUMENT like a cv

>3gb
where are you getting this number? I don't even know how you could from the graphical front ends to it either.

doun't worry, itd's a good brogram. itd does what itd does, bud itd does itd good

I don't think you need all billion of the fonts to write a resume