X11 BTFO

Why do you still use X11 user?
Even Apple switched from X11
X11 is the reason gaming performance is 20-30 frames behind
why haven't you switched to Wayland yet user?
Are you behind the times?
Last update to X11 was 2012
>inb4 it requires SystemD
except it doesn't, running it on top of OpenRC

apple never even fell for this meme

wayland isn't ready for primetime and the majority of the graphical ecosystem still depends on x11 in some fashion

muh unix philosophy
muh network transparency

>network transparency
It's a farce because not one modern program still uses native X11 draw calls. They all render their own bitmaps and send them to the X server.

>X11 is built with the UNIX philosophy
What one thing does X do and what does it do well?
Oh wait, it doesn't follow the UNIX philosophy and Wayland does

>Wayland
>Can't use a screen recorder without support in the compositor because "muh security"
>Can't use a screenshot program without support in the compositor because "muh security"
>Can't use external keyboard shortcuts or key macros inside the focused program because "muh security"

wew lad what a great display server

No support on other unicies yet.

Not stable enough for daily work.

Almost no drivers for common hardware yet.

No security audit yet.

Gee, why aren't I relying on this?

Cherry picking. Plenty of apps can still be used network transparent. The mistake x made was listening too much to the DE communities and adding shit that shouldn't be there.

LITERALLY NO WINDOW MANAGERS
come back to me when wayland is fucking completed

Forgot to mention, I have nothing against it, and have played with it, just don't use it daily yet for those reasons.

I'm personally pretty eager for Wayland to mature a bit. It seems promising, but not quite there yet.

>Even Apple switched from X11
did apple ever use X11?

neither applies to X

Yeah, way back.

when?

What are the DEs and WMs compatible with wayland?

everyone in this thread fucking nailed it. Its not ready for primetime....yet

i have downloaded a few .iso's the past few years just to see how it is coming along from rebbaccablack to the latest kde5

i have seen a few presentations on wayland vs x and there is some sound engineering going on

but the dev team is tiny and i still want to know what fucking technical reasons canonical had for going with MIR instead of wayland.... if it wasnt for their dumbasses wayland would be finished by now

When they transitioned from OS 9 to OS X.

Gnome with Gnome Shell using GDM as the display manager

Isn't Canonical staying away from Wayland?

They shipped with x11 from the start, because they wanted to encourage Unix users to use OSX. It took no, to very minor, modifications to build most x11 apps. Basically it looked like yet another BSD with some path differences to the build system.

They stopped including x11 in the default install after osx got traction, but they still maintained and distributed it up until Yosemite came out I think.

They will come to their senses sooner or later, Mir is dumb.

i know they shipped an X11 implementation, but what i mean is did they ever actually use X11 themselves?

I use it daily. It's pretty workable already, if your graphics card isn't shit at least. It also follows the Unix philosophy far better than X11 which is a complicated and unmaintanable mess.

Sure there'll be problems initially. Like the other user said about screen recorders, screenshots, etc.. That can all be resolved with time and standards. How fast it will I think depends on the hubris of canonical, GNOME, and KDE.

Ah. No. Not in any released apps or utilities. It was strictly for people porting trying to osx. Similar to carbon for building classic Mac software on osx. Except that companies like adobe relied on carbon so heavily, asshole was forced to maintain that for ages. Adobe are assholes.

How many paint chips did you have to squeeze down that tight little throat of yours to get as stupid as you are?

Waiting for it to be stable and usable since 2012

Network transparency is a cool feature but most people don't need it. I think they added support for it after some backlash, and you could always use X inside Wayland for tunneling.