/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post ITT if your question doesn't merit a new thread
How would I go about streaming a file in VLC(or PotPlayer or whatever really) if I do not have the direct download link(ie it ends with download?=id123 or sth)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186&cm_re=amd_fury-_-14-202-186-_-Product
youtu.be/wc93LZSXc2M
amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-B3340-Chromebook-Celeron-HD-Screen/dp/B00N99FXIS
asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-A/HelpDesk_Download/
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2540M-vs-Intel-Celeron-N2840/m1616vsm16086
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf-sFw7SLSqagZd4mFh81F3nDYdpdzBed
ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/
blog.twitch
reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/5ar7ur/twitch_introduces_surestream_a_better_video_ad/d9j2213/?context=10000
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've recently been getting blue screen crashes on my new RX 480. I'm running an i3 until I can upgrade my CPU and I was wondering if a cpu that weak would cause the system to crash? I had it working fine yesterday and now today my pc crashes on every game I try play

I ran a benchmark test and noticed the card gets pretty hot and the fans get very loud before it crashes. Could the card be defective?

whats a UK friendly (under 3 inch blade, non-locking) multi tool, already have an SAK and looking for something different - looked at the SOG paratool but the fact you need to open it for the knife is putting me off

Does anybody see better battery life with a Chromium OS build like CloudReady? My HP Omen 15 gets 3 hours or so on Windows with everything gimped as fuck, or 2.5 hours of reasonable performance on Linux. Chrome OS would be fine for what I do for work, but that 2 hour ish battery life is a killer. Problem is I absolutely love everything else about this laptop, and can't find another that really suits me.

Does anybody have a/the guide to set up MPC-HC with all the right filters or whatever?

I forget if it was an Sup Forums or a Sup Forums thing but there's not really a thread to ask about it on on Sup Forums so i'm asking here

What are my options for a dac preamp combos that have remotes besides the Emotiva XDA-1/2? Preferably around or less than $350. Nothing wrong with what I listed, I'm just trying to explore my options.

internet connection dropped then i get this. im the only computer on the network.
should i be scared? win7 btw

How do I stay *safe* on hotel wifi ? I just want to be able to login to gmail account without my password getting stolen. Is checking for the legit connection and HTTPS good enough ?

Reboot your router and change your password to be safe. Seems like somebody may have bruteforced your shit, but it could be something more sinister
>NSA intensifies

DHCP fuckup. The easiest way to fix it is to turn everything off at once (router included), and then restart it.

Using a VPN would be better.

In most cases, yes. Best bet is to use TOR. It's not FBI-proof, but the average neckbeard or terrorist won't take the time to crack it.

Tor (it's not all-caps) is pretty secure, actually, even against three-letter agencies. Problem is you have to observe proper opsec and treat everyone you talk to as if they're a federal agent, which most people can't keep up. You also have to disable javascript.

Should I go for the LPIC 1 & 2, or a dual MCSE (Server Infrastructure + Cloud Platform)?
They'll take about the same amount of time and effort, as far as I can tell.

Check your ram

restart everything
get this
oh shit whats going on.

Windows thinks you connected to a different network because the router gave it a different IP address.

Run a malware scan if you're scared, but I doubt it's a problem.

My ram is 8GB @665MHz but I checked and no memory errors detected. Fans still running pretty loudly even just on start up

Can someone point me where i can read basics of electricity and how to work with it?

I unscrewed the screws on the MB before taking off the cables.
That was pretty dumb, wasn't it?
Taking off the 24 pin connector should be a lot easier if the screws are in to hold the MB in place, right?

yes, yes

thanks
i think i'm gonna sleep on this, i'm clearly mentally unfit to be doing any hardware work
maybe screw those back in but that's about it

1) What is the best defrag software for windows 7?

I'm using defraggler, its fast and easy to use, but I previously used ultimate defrag, that lets you move the files around the HDD so you can put fast-access files on the faster parts of the disk.

I'm not sure it was a meme or not, but I didn't get any problem with that, also it was superb for when moving data around when making partitions in external HDDs.

2) is it normal after installing a big game (just installed witcher 3), I got some files fragmented into thousands of parts. My HDD smart data is all ok.

Just instal CCCP standard/full mode and config the filters manually. its pretty straightforward.

Assuming the warranty of all graphics card vendor brand is the same, is there any advantage that one brand has over another? or is it just same card with different cooling method and negligible performance difference?

Is there a tool to download youtube playlists?

youtube-dl

1.) All windows defrag software uses the same APIs as the built-in defragger uses. The kernel exposes them, it's the same thing with a different UI on it.

the files that get written to the drive might be fragmented due to the filesystem squeezing them into empty spaces instead of using contiguous free space. I have no idea if NTFS does this but some files do when they know they're on spinning-rust storage, so as to use the faster outer tracks before going to the slower inner ones.

So, what's a better deal, the RX 480 or Fury?

I'm going to be using a few monitors, but does four extra GB of RAM really matter?

By the way, a fury is going for cheap on Newegg right now, check it out: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186&cm_re=amd_fury-_-14-202-186-_-Product

Also, for whichever one is superior in price/performance, which one is the best one to get?

Or should I just get a 470 if I'm looking for price/performance?

Why is Windows uptime so poor? After a week or so it becomes very unstable.

How much do 1-2 TB hard drives go for on black Friday?

gtx 1060 6gb vs 3gb: worth the price difference?

I got it and tried
youtube-dl -F youtu.be/wc93LZSXc2M
Got this error:
Signature extraction failed: Traceback (most recent call last):

I'm trying to clear up some space.

What could this be? Because there's no way it's actually Spore.

working here, ensure youtube-dl is up to date

sounds like a you problem. rebooted last month for some updates, but otherwise I've hat no issues.
I mean, unless you're running XP or something?

That video is not available for me.

youtube-dl -f best youtu.be/wc93LZSXc2M

Should work. Capital -F will list the formats available but usually "best" works.

run windirstat

>That video is not available for me.
try over tor
torsocks youtube-dl

What should i do first.

>Buy B85 motherboard to finish build
>Buy Moto G3 because Moto G screen broke
>Buy cheap Thinkpad like x200 or T400 for college

Flip a coin.

A coin with 3 sides?

roll a 1d6
1 or 2 - mobo
3 or 4 - phone
5 or 6 - laptop

Or, think about which would be of the most use to you until you can afford the others. If you finish the build, it can be used for college but isn't portable. If you get the thinkpad, it's good for portability at the cost of performance. Personally I wouldn't advise the phone because if you need music, thinkpad could play and be semi-portable, and if you need communication, messenger or an app emulator to use whatsapp/kik etc.
In the end we don't know your life or needs, just think it through homeslice.

amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-B3340-Chromebook-Celeron-HD-Screen/dp/B00N99FXIS

Is one of these powerful enough to stream Twitch vids? Like for SaltyBet?

Reposting from last thread, how do I get my third party xbox 360 controller to work on my pc?
An user predicted it was a driver issue with my MOBO, here are the drivers. The only one I remember downloading was a USB 3.0 update.
>ASUSTeK H110M-A (LGA1151)
>asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-A/HelpDesk_Download/

It worked fine on my last computer, they're both Windows 7 64 bit.

No, get a used X220 or T420 for the same price.
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2540M-vs-Intel-Celeron-N2840/m1616vsm16086

The difference is that huge.

>ublock origin started letting ads through

wat do?

TO CLARIFY: the issue is the drivers are not installing. It says automatic updates need to be enabled for windows to search for them, but I have updates off in the registry to avoid telemetry.

>if it rolls an even amount of times -> A
>if it rolls an odd amount of times -> B
>if it rolls a prime amount of times -> C

Dumbass.

update your filter lists. make sure you checked all the extra filter lists that aren't enabled by default. Use uMatrix if you don't already. Make sure you have Reek's greasemonkey script installed and enabled.

Then activate the updates you retard, why are you even asking if you already know how to fix it?

I just moved to a new country so I bought a new SIM card for my Galaxy S4. I want to start a new contact list for this new country but I want to be able to switch back to my old one when I return home.
Is it possible to have two separate contacts lists on my phone?

I googled the question and it looks like I can do it by making a new google account, but that seems rather complicated. I want to keep the same email, just with a separate contacts list.

Didn't work with automatic updates on anyway, that's just what the tooltip claims.

Did you update everything?

Updated it, the version in the ubuntu repo was pretty old.
I looked over the --help shit and did
youtube-dl -cit --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf-sFw7SLSqagZd4mFh81F3nDYdpdzBed
Got my music, thanks fags.

I'm using a shitty TV in a shitty location, speaker noise is absorbed into the wall meaning you can't hear any dialogue without turning the volume up and deafening anyone when anything loud happens.

I'm also using a chromecast for media streaming. I'm wondering if the wireless speakers (especially the google backdoor ones that are about to come out) are able to output audio from a movie playing on the TV, rather than just things like spotify streamed from your phone.

On the MOBO or windows? I got a program to get rid of certain datamining kb updates.

>I got a program to get rid of certain datamining kb updates.

This doesn't even work like that. You have malware. Just how tech illiterate are you?

Can someone give me wiring diagram for a quadcopter. No video transmitters necessary.

i'm trying to copy an entire sd card onto my pc
everything copied over nicely, but this one folder refuses to move and wouldn't let me transfer anything unless i unselected it
what do?

admin command prompt
robocopy "source-path" "destination-path" /E /ZB /R:0 /W:0 /MOVE

Just an update on this: I've had to underclock my GPU and now im not getting any crashes but I would like to know if its a problem with my card or if this is normal? Will I still be having this problem even when I eventually upgrade my cpu/ram?

nvm I figured it out. I'm gonna save all my new contacts to the SIM card and I set contacts to only show the one on my SIM

I didn't have crashes, but I had an issue with a PC game where it would only use one CPU core, so it would stutter hard. I was able to fix it by setting the max usage on each cor to 99% down from 100%. You might want to test for it.

Expand on this topic.

actually i just figured it out, it's this folder with a funky name
how do i transfer it without renaming it? it's supposed to work with a game console

not a fucking clue m8.

is it a gook game?

Router finally died on me. Looking at replacing with either an Asus RT-N66U or RT-AC66U. Anybody have experience with either one?

yeah, probably fire emblem or some shit

Archive it, save the file on board

how do i do that?

dd

mount the image.

tried renaming it, this happened
fug

I want to use synergy to share my mouse and keyboard between the host and guest OS (which uses VGA passthrough), without passing through a router (due to latency concerns). Basically, all I need is a way to map localhost: inside the host to localhost: inside qemu, and localhost: inside qemu to localhost: inside the host, hopefully with a lightweight device so that there is little overhead.
I can see plenty of info about going host -> qemu, and I see references to the fact the opposite is doable (notably with a TAP device), but no details.
So how do I do that?

Did you try ipconfig /flushdns?

ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The USB hub failed to reset."

Another lovely Windows 10 issue that causes my USB storage devices to not be read. Any fixes?

> RT-N66U
I do.
Decent router, but bit too old. 2,4 and 5GHz wi-fi. Flash either Merlin (stock w/fixes) or Tomato. Kernel is old and will not be updated, but if you don't have a chrooted Debian on it, that won't be an issue.

check the drive for errors
reboot
delete

been there, done that
i can't delete it, and this doesn't work either

ssh -D8080 you@home # or the equivalent in PuTTY

set localhost:8080 as socks 5 proxy and enjoy browsing from the security of home.

Windows is shit for this sort of thing, you need a better filesystem and command line.

I doubt it is mojibake, your USB is corrupt user.

>USB
SD.

well it's not too important, it's fine if this gets lost
in a bit i'm going to be formatting the card so that's why i wanted to get everything

Run recuva on it before formatting.

If no luck do it after.

Also that SD got corrupted for something, dont trust it anymore.

Let me guess, Kingston, PNY, chink?

i put it in my phone and got all the files inside, all is well
i also ran a check on it and it's not corrupted, the program i used to generate the folder just didn't have unicode compatibility
also it's samsung

So it was mojibake after all.

Then dont worry, change locale in your computer if you dont wanna see it anymore.
You might wanna run Hfapplocale or something similar if you have problems with programs recognizing it.

thanks, i'll keep that in mind

I want to share my M/KB with my laptop, is this my best choice?

software KVMs yes, personally I prefer hardware KVMs

Can install Android OS on a old computer?

I know WPS made WPA keys vulnerable back in 2010-2015 but this has been patched by most new hardware. Is there any vulnerabilities I need to look out for in 2016-2017 that can break a WPA password?

My router is an RT-N66U only year old firmware if it matters.

What site?

done and done
[spoiler]twitch[/spoiler]

Can accumulation of dust cause a desktop PC to shut off randomly?

My machine is having this problem and dust is the only thing I can think of causing it. [spoiler]Plus I really hope that that's the problem because it would be easy to fix.[/spoiler]

Looks like an unaligned partition.

Anybody?

blog.twitch DOT tv/introducing-surestream-for-a-better-video-ad-experience-on-twitch-3ca5ce3287c#.1w87zhjlp
reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/5ar7ur/twitch_introduces_surestream_a_better_video_ad/d9j2213/?context=10000
dat spam filter doe

tl;dr they implemented a new system that actually replaces the video stream with the ads, it will take time for adblockers to catch up
Even then you would just stop the ad, the twitch stream would just be gone for the ad duration

Stupid question, but is it possible for somebody's daughter to obtain her father's sperm via a sperm bank in order to get themselves pregnant?

My birthday is coming up and my parents want to know what I want from them. What should I ask for?