Is there an "intermediate" linux distro, for easing from ubuntu-tier to harder distros like gentoo?

Is there an "intermediate" linux distro, for easing from ubuntu-tier to harder distros like gentoo?

I've used ubuntu, fedora, and arch-anywhere, but I want something not so difficult and hands-on as full arch/gentoo, while still being a more technical distro.

Any suggestions? Pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

chocolatey.org
solus-project.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>it just werks
Why ruin it

Manjaro.

What are you looking to do with your distro

Gentoo

arch

General computer browsing, programming, finicking with terminal and other quirks, and maybe just a little gaymen here and there

cinnamon, nigga. i installed it this morning, overwrote bitch ass ubuntu. working great

also, check em

>stupid dubs poster recommends a desktop environment as an OS

What exactly would be wrong with Debian/Devuan? If by technical you mean having more specialized software in the repository and being able to use the commandline, then there's nothing keeping you from doing that on pretty much any distro.

It seems like you want difficulty for the sake of difficulty and not necessarily control. Am I wrong?

Debian testing/unstable desu senpai. I started off an easy one like Ubandoo as well. Through distro hopping I found it to be quite balanced in what you're looking for, but Manjaro could work fine too.

I highly suggest it.

>cinnamon
he said distro, you filthy peasant.

i mean something like manjaro, opensuse, debian or something like that? Beyond that probably just dive into one of the more hands on ones like slackware, gentoo, arch ect.. and work your way up? Definitely stray away from *buntus if you want to know more about your system.

install windows 7.

get debian minimal then turn it into a ubuntu like state

just do debian or centOS. corporations use it for a reason, might as well use something they'll recognize on your resume

Any distro is going to let you do that. Gentoo is for making custom compilation easier. Arch is for pretending you run Gentoo by manually selecting which packages get installed. I don't see why you couldn't do all that shit in Ubuntu.

The reason I won't run Ubuntu is shit like having the Amazon botnet built in. Ultimately you're going to have a hard time finding a major distro that won't allow you to do those things. .Besides Ubuntu OpenSUSE, Debian, and Fedora are all known for having good stuff in the repo and being able to be set up to serve the needs of desktop style users. Play with them until you find one you like and stick with it. Distro hopping is a time sink. Spend your time adding stuff to your house not changing the paint job.

Checked

One of those freetard distros, it'll give you so many hardware problems that you'll feel leet within hours.

install ubuntu a server/minimal system without anything, start configuring

but that's just looking up apt package names basically

>why are my fonts so shitty and my console broke
>reinstall

>Is there an "intermediate" linux distro,
Yes, literally any distro at "intermediate" becomes "intermediate". If you don't know that you're not "intermediate". You are "new".

IIRC Amazon botnet was built-into the Unity desktop environment and has long since been removed.

Indeed, but it left a sour taste in the mouth for many, it seems. It still annoys me that the Amazon link is on the panel by default.

>it seems
Ubuntu is one of the most consistently recommended and used distros on Sup Forums. If anything people just deliberately use a different DE. It's ancient history.

Manjaro is comfy as fuck and arch based.
Don't abuse of the AUR and you should run it without any issues for years.
Now it's only for desktop purpose, don't use it for your servers or nas!

I'm doing a shit right now and it stinks so bad

delete this

Why not using Windows 10 with AutoKMS?
There is a community based package manager now:
chocolatey.org

It's really comfy and works fucking well, it's even more useful than launchpad/ppa ubuntu shit or archlinux aur because it's based on the powerful powershell scripting.

>most consistently recommended
How did you miss all of the install gentoo recommendations? You are aware that Gentoo is a distro right?

If you're cool running a distro that assumes that their userbase is retarded and won't notice/mind Amazon botnet go for it. However if I did mind blatant botnet, I would still be running Windows.

>How did you miss all of the install gentoo recommendations? You are aware that Gentoo is a distro right?
How did you miss all of the newfags posting on Sup Forums? You are aware that Gentoo is a meme and not a begginer distro right?

>you want difficulty for the sake of difficulty

Maybe just a little bit, yeah. I want to have to familiarize myself with the UNIX command line and such without needing to do everything from scratch (i.e. arch/gentoo)

user... Gentoo is a meme distro, you're not actually meant to use it.

>Is there an "intermediate" linux distro, for easing from ubuntu-tier to harder distros like gentoo?
I don't think there is an intermediate. Either you use a one-size-fits-all distro like ubuntu or a pick-your-own-config distro like gentoo.

Sounds like ubuntu is the right distro for you, no offense

If you don't have any shortcomings with ubuntu, don't fix what isn't broken. I use gentoo only because ubuntu can't meet my requirements.

Honestly just run Ubuntu, anyone saying anything otherwise is a hipster or someone with too much free time. There is no legitimate reason to use Arch. The only other distro worth using is Debian which is basically just Ubuntu with more "stable" (older) packages.

tl;dr: Just use Ubuntu, anything else is a meme here

Linux Mint

Solus is another great option for beginners. Plus, it might also be easier for someone from Windows to transition to.

solus-project.com/

I think step 0 is learning to learn and adapt to new UIs, I wouldn't bother with Yet Another Irrelevant Distro

Ubuntu has bad rep here because it's popular and the youngsters here want to be special snowflakes

I mean, I've also found Solus to be more stable than Ubuntu too. Also the fastest distro I've ran too.

Solus is the most optimized desktop distro out there. The dev behind it works for intel on clearlinux after all.

If you already know the command line then switch away from Linux. Linux itself is the "intro to Unix" phase. Phase II would be moving to illumos/OpenIndiana or one of the BSD's.

What's wrong with Fedora?

Antergos

Ubuntu got me into GNU/Linux as well, but this was years and years ago when it was first released. From there, I played around with a lot of LiveCDs before eventually learning how to partition and install distributions myself. Then I began researching and comparing features so I could select a distribution that was both comfortable and fit my needs. After using *buntu, Mint, Debian, Arch, and numerous one-off distributed no one has probably ever heard of, I settled on Slackware and haven't looked back.

My advice isn't to focus on "graduating" to a more complex distribution. If you know the basics of how to use GNU/Linux systems, then just worry about picking a practical distribution that suits your needs. Why does it matter how simplistic or sophisticated it is?

Then you have no reason to ever go beyond Ubuntu.

Interdasting

install sabayon
gentoo based
graphical installer
comes in kde gnome others
binary package management
can also use portage.

this

for those who want to get actual work done

Xubuntu,Debian,gentoo

Natural progression.

debian

I hate to say it but literally arch. I went from arch to gentoo in a couple months, and it's pretty easy to install if you follow the wiki

Manjaro or Debian, depending on whether you favour bleeding edge or stability.

Debian netinstall.