Not to be a shill but is anyone hyped for unity 8?

not to be a shill but is anyone hyped for unity 8?

after years of zero improvement to the user interface i have some hopes for U8. it looks like they're back to polishing what they have rather than introducing useless new shit (which unity was in the first place but oh well). not sure about the convergence stuff but the panel alone looks so much better right away.

i wish it was usable at this point but it's still super buggy.

here's a screenshot of the sidebar.

i just feel it looks much more professional and serious than unity 7.

like they actually hired some UX designers for once.

>unity botnet amazon shill thread

If they made Unity 7 not butt ugly it would have a huge following. If they used Kwin and helped port it to Wayland, they would be done by now.

>unity 7 not butt ugly
that's essentially what Unity 8 seems to be. i hope at least. still not sure about a vertical dock but hey whatever

I would be excited for it if it didn't seem 2020 is the earliest timeframe for it's release.

You're suppose to install numix and numix circle icons after installing Ubuntu. Than it's one of the best looking DEs.

Unity 7 supports a horizontal dock now. There is a good chance it will be ported.

The trashcan placement, stacking of too many apps, and the HUD all are too terrible for a theme to fix.

oh wow I can't wait for amazon to spy on me.

i hope they get it ready and stable for 18.04 lts

Unity should have never been done using GTK shitware.

qt is visually bloated
gtk is bloated code wise

cant win

Linux Mint has been better than Ubuntu for over 2 years, Canonical shills on Sup Forums constantly trying to keep the user focused, community driven Linux distro for personal computing down, ignoring that it exists, ignoring that it's been number one on distrowatch literally forever

personal computing not l337 high profile server sciencey shit

which components are actually mint-exclusive? do they just put the distro together or are some programs / parts of the DE made by the mint team?

The updater and Cinnamon are developed by the Mint team. Those are not exclusive like the way Unity is. However, Mint is the only active distro that showcases Cinnamon as the most polished default.

eh, looks ok.

I don't use Ubuntu, though.

Also, I'm pretty sure Nemo is developed by the Mint team. It's the only usable GTK file manager so that alone is impressive.

>the only usable GTK file manager
never change, Sup Forums

>i don't know what i'm talking about, but i'll just spout shit what i've seen others do

Kill yourself.

>most polished default
What a bunch of idiotic buzzphrases.
There is nothing Mint does to Cinnamon that you can't get (or get) on other distributions assuming you're running the same version.
I suggest you kill yourself too for spreading retardation.

>muh shill maymay

gtk code base is actually retarded.

Nice try gtk dev

not the guy, but he literally said it was the most polished default, you even greentexted that

what other distro offers a better cinnamon de as a default?

Mint might as well be called cinnamon, when it came out it was essentially a reskin of Ubuntu with the beautiful cinnamon de

I'm going to be able to learn how to code and turn my tiling wm into a full fledged, intuitive, touch interactive gesture based GUI faster than Canonical will be able to write a DE that isn't absolute garbage

Solus is better than both of those

Yup, crashed while i was installing from solus software center or whatever this is called. No thanks

works for me :^)

To be perfectly honest I'm not a fan of the flat looking design.

7 looks fine imo.

Waiting for the day that Ubuntu comes as polished as Mint

Unity 7 looks like it's stuck in 2009

>ios-style icons
trashed.

>What a bunch of idiotic buzzphrases.
This is why Linux DEs will always be pure garbage.

What package have you installed ? I install unity8-desktop-session-mir but nothing is happening when i try to log in the unity8 session, just a full black screen.

WILL YOU SHUT UP ABOUT SOLUS YOU FUCKING FAT MESS

I'm excited. I don't think there's a comfier DE for a laptop especially, and I'm totally along for the ride. I'm also curious to see what Lubuntu 17.04 will be like on my desktop if they've finished transitioning to LXQt by then.

Talking of which, I reckon Unity 8 / Mir will be 17. 10 at the earliest. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's not ready until 18.10.

Unless you rice it

I honestly believe it will be ready by the next LTS release (18.04). 16.10 preview is promising, but far from releasable.