What was wrong with this again?

what was wrong with this again?

never existed outside america

Nothing, it was great for its time

iPod.

Nothing. The name "Zune" killed it

Steve Jobs unveiling the iPhone.

This. I had one of the mini ones and it was the most perfect music player i've ever owned. I'd actually love to have a new one, except the software you had to use to put music on it was utter shit.

Actually the Zune software was better than itunes, but I just hated it because fucking bloated media players.

still use mine all the time

>Actually the Zune software was better than itunes, but I just hated it because fucking bloated media players.
I never used itunes, but the Zune software was the biggest piece of shit audio player/media management I've ever had to deal with.

I hated it more than WMP.

Nothing it was perfect. I use a surface pro 3 for my music needs now though.

this

This was the best exclusive mp3 player EVER.
It still holds up today easily.

If you disagree you are a faggot who's never tried or had one.

Old or new zune software?
Older one was better, but I didn't find new one bad at all.

You might find it hard to believe but iTunes software is 100x worse, in every regard. I don't know how Apple could fuck something up so hard.

>Old or new zune software?
No idea.

I do remember that all I wanted to do was sort my music by folder, and there was no way to do that. It also had serious stability/memory usage issues on my computer.

I don't know why it was so fucking hard to figure out

DRAG AND DROP

Let me pick my songs out of a folder and move them to a folder on my player

Why was this so hard to understand?

I imagine that the people who didn't mind having to open a fucking program to sync their player all had iTunes and an iPod.

Or, at the very least give us a fucking choice. Ok, you want to sync with the software, fine. But if I want to plug in my player and move my files into it that should work too.

Fucking fail microshit bullshit as always

just use your phone.

It didn't have an apple logo on the back

The iPod touch 4 killed it. Application library, speaker built in, etc.

64gigs maximum with no sd card slot
fucking expensive at the time

bought this one for 40 bucks and like it a lot

MIcrosoft taint.

>visible screw

Jesus christ how horrifying

Windows CE, of course, instead of Android

"liberated" Zune

Fuck u Microshill

it was trash and now hipsters pretend it was perfect all along and better than god-tier iPod

No drag and drop.

Microsoft should have released a tool to unlock the bootloader and then released an open source development kit for the Zune HD and been done with it as the final parting gift to owners of those devices.

It's still an awesome piece of hardware but unfortunately the somewhat crappy software (got better at the last release) and the locked down nature and no real app store to speak of killed it sadly.

Damned fine device, just crippled out of the gate by a stupid company that just can't seem to grasp what people actually want.

>This was the best exclusive mp3 player EVER.

No, because it wasn't an "exclusive mp3 player" aka a DAP (Digital Audio Player) like a SanDisk Clip might be, it's a PMP (Portable Media Player) by design.

The best DAP ever made was the Rio Karma, hands down, fuck you if think differently and you're wrong. The Karma ruled in terms of sound quality, output power (75mW x 2), it had a parametric EQ (I mean really, at a time when most people didn't even know what a fucking EQ was the Karma had a PARAMETRIC EQ), large capacity (20GB originally with the 1.8" hard drive but that could be replaced rather easily, and so on.

Motherfucker came with a docking cradle that provided raw Ethernet access to the device for use on a network out of the box, how fucking awesome was that (and I used that aspect quite often). The dock would even pulse with light when playing music too.

"The Rio Karma is dead, long live the Rio Karma..."

Would be nice if I could manage these on my Linux machine.

>tfw no brown Zune

That's what virtual machines are for.

that asshole Stephen Elop. the guy is singlehandedly responsible for tanking microsofts entire mobile -including zune- division into the septic tank

lack of support for zune desktop. there are a few things that irritate me, mainly the lack of a dark theme and the lack of a couple deeper 'advanced' settings

The Zune program was dead years before Elop came on board.

>no drag and drop
>windows CE with a skin
>apple held patents for handheld sized HDDs, so they were they only ones with more than 100GB
>early ones had wifi a/b, in a time with consumer g only routers being common
>UI was a metro prototype, which was unloved

Im pretty sure this is what Satya Nadella was running before Phone 7

>what was wrong with this again?
You have to worry about a device where the designers choose a font size that results in one of the main menu options being truncated. That it's just a small amount shows that it could have been fixed with little effort but they just didn't bother. It wasn't important. No respect for the user.
Even Samsung does better than this and English isn't their first language.

I think smartphones killed this industry. Why would you carry an additional device?

The original Metro UI was that way by default, you moron.

>people that can't into graphic design
>get the fuck out, please

I think it's just a matter of perspective in that picture. Screens back then were a little deeper in the body of the device. The edge of the device obscures the edge of the screen.

>>UI was a metro prototype, which was unloved
But the lesson wasn't learned and so was repeated.
And about that time there was the Kin and the Hiptop disaster.
Microsoft's internal handicapper was in a groove.

Wait, what are you saying again? That this is a good way to design a menu?

>bitching about UI design
>not comprehending the concepts

Do you complain to Spotify that their logo is fucking off center and not perfectly vertically oriented too?

sorry, I'm mostly mad about the death of meego/ nokia

Zune was everything it needed to be.. 4 years late. By the time it came out, iPod was a household name.

I am not the guy who was bitching about the design. I just didn't understand your post.

Btw you ruined the logo for me, can't unsee it