Apparently, I'm an idiot for asking this

Apparently, I'm an idiot for asking this...

Can we please have an internet safety thread?

I'm certainly not the best person to be giving advice, but I think this is an important topic and I rarely see information about it.

Maybe it's not the safest thing to talk about? I truly do not know.

Any recommended software, browsing habits, things to watch out for?

I'll try to bump with relevant information.

Other urls found in this thread:

panopticlick.eff.org/
someonewhocares.org/hosts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>but I think this is an important topic and I rarely see information about it.
Came from Sup Forums where anything not pro-trump is
slide thread.

still browsing Sup Forums, but any help is appreciated

>Flash router with DDWRT or another free firmware
>Block all telemetry and ads from router
>Use a GNU/Linux distro like Debian with only free as in freedom components and software installed
>Flash your BIOS with a free alternative
>Disable javascript
>Use a VPN and login to all of your online accounts and close them/shut them down
>Use VPN to pretend to be European to have any Google cached content about you removed
>Don't have any online persona
>Don't have any online accounts
>Change up your typing patterns, interchange between US and UK english, don't use a term for more than a week i.e "shill, dank memes, pajeet, nigger" etc.
>Don't use the same IP address for more than a day. Always change VPN/Proxy regularly
>Don't store any browser data like browsing history, cookies etc.
>Don't download or save anything from online

>don't refer to public holidays, celebrations, etc.
>don't verify current dates or times
>don't refer to current weather or environment
>don't talk about routines, patterns in your life
>don't consistently browse at certain times of the day
>don't consistently browse from certain IP blocks
>don't refer to brands of goods you know, buy, or are familiar with
>don't refer to meals, food, or drink
>don't use regionalisms or slang
>don't mention musical artists

Basically keep on topic, be vague as hell, use generic English, and don't use Oxford commas.

Wow, this is exactly what I do. Im from Illinois and work as a welder.

How do I block telemetry and ads from my router specifically?

I want to make my parents happier.

>Disable javascript
You could just have told him not to use the Internet. :^)

Add the IP address/domains to your block/filter list.

Is there a big list of them?

Don't forget browser fingerprinting.
panopticlick.eff.org/

yeah there is
expert mode is this:
>get a DD-WRT router with space for a jffs partition
>load the block list as a text file of IP addresses only (one per line)
>either learn IPtables or use FWBuilder to create rules blocking all IPs from the list both inbound and outbound
>make sure to INSERT the rules above the existing rules
elite mode
>rewrite the default DDWRT firewall to block ALL connections except those specifically requested by trusted devices on the network
>that list should not include cell phones, smart TVs, rokus, etc.
>specifically whitelist addresses for those devices
the elite mode takes a lot of work and effort and research and a pretty good knowledge of IPtables, routing and networking

Be aware that anything that comes in touch with or emanates from Google, Apple, Fecesbook, Yahoo or Microshaft is or could be compromised.

Do not use email services from those companies for private and secure matters, instead use protonmail, tuttanota, startpage emails.
Do not use Google DNS or OpenDNS, use OpenNIC.
Always use different passwords for every new service you register into.
Do not use Kikebook, block all its IPs and DNS in your hosts file.
Never use the default passwords on your routers, modems, phones etc, change them asap if you don't want to be part of the botnet.
Use an extensive hosts file like someonewhocares.org and don't be afraid to add your own rules to it.
Keep your meatspace person distinct from your wired persona and don't cross-contaminate.
Use Firefox Stable/Beta with a hardened profile (check the addon Privacy Settings if you're clueless).
Use uBlock Origin with Dynamic Filtering defaults to block 3rd party scripts and frames, learn how to use noop rules (check ublock wiki).
You don't need to run uMatrix, uBlock does everything it does if configured right, running the two will slow you down.
Use an addon like Self-destructing Cookies and white list only the sites you trust.
Don't overdo it with running two hundred addons, keep it simple stupid.
Don't run an active antivirus that's constantly (((surveiling))) your activity and sending info to its manufacturer, instead use common sense and don't open things you don't trust before scanning them or sandboxing them.
Malwarebytes and Kaspersky have good one-time run utilities to detect malware and viruses.
Don't run Windows as your daily OS, learn to love the Gaynoo/Linux/BSD ecosystem, it's well worth your time.
Don't use google services on your smartphone, look into microg or run gapp-less.
F-droid has tons of useful, privacy respecting apps.
Be ready to pay for your security and privacy if you want to keep them going forward.

Fuck off pedofags.

If you're worried about malicious JavaScript, it's not actually a bad idea to use Chrome. Chrome has less remote code execution attacks resulting in elevation of privilege because it runs the renderer processes in a sandbox. There's a lot of baseless paranoia about Chrome on Sup Forums because it's owned by an ad company, but there's no hard evidence of any privacy concerns in Chrome that can't be disabled in the privacy section on the settings page. uBlock was originally written for Chrome and later ported to Firefox, so either gorhill knows nothing about privacy or there's some merit to using Chrome.

Also don't use any anti-virus other than the one that comes with Windows. They're all snake-oil bullshit marketed towards paranoid normies. There was an awful exploit for Comodo AV recently where during a scan, it would run suspicious code in a simulator and actually execute some Windows API calls against the real APIs. RCE exploits for third-party anti-virus software come out all the time, so you are actually _less_ safe if you have them installed. Even the ""good"" AV products slow down your system and flood you with false positives. If you already use Windows (arguably a bad idea, but it's hard to convince people of this) you already place full trust in Microsoft, so you might as well trust their built-in anti-virus. Don't place additional trust in a shady AV company.

If you must use a third-party AV (don't though,) Malwarebytes (without realtime protection) is probably the least awful.

I have a VPN (Which I don't fucking use because then I can't post on Sup Forums)

I use Chrome and have these add-ons Sup Forums X, HTTPS Everywhere, Ublock Origin, and Ghostery.

How am I doing?

>Sup Forums tards think Hillary is going to have them ASSASSINATED for knowing the truth.
top fucking kek

Sup Forums's "advice" is the sort of thing you'd expect from your typical CS dropout, full of wrong information that conveniently satisfies their antisocial needs

>Don't use 99% of services.
Should read "I have zero people skills and it's also the reason why I'm still making 20K at 30".

>Businesses are evil.
they are also the ones that create jobs which you could have been doing to have capital by now to make your own

>block out 99% of the internet
Going full luddite and regressive left tier censorship whenever you can't argue against something, again going straight back to the no people skills thing.

The average tinfoil shit is a genius but is destined to never ever use 3% of what he has because this is about trying to out-autisticize each other about how fucked you are, the source of which being a pedantic, unapproachable piece of shit since this really isn't about computers or "tech" but pretending to be superior to everyone else

Yes, but it's still important to be aware of how your information can be leaked online and there are simple steps you can take to protect your privacy (like installing an ad blocker) without going full tinfoil and "blocking out 99% of the internet." Even the Zuck himself puts tape over his webcam.

Those who don't care today will regret it tomorrow.

You are one of those people.

someonewhocares.org/hosts/

>instead use protonmail, tuttanota, startpage emails.

how do these work?
is there a fee?

I'm going somewhere with this, I'm not asking you to totally spoonfeed me. I know startpage is a paid service, but protomail has a free (but limited) service.

If you wanted to pay for email, how would you do so anonymously?
secondly, is it really safe to entrust high-value information with them, considering the way lavabit went down?

>Use VPN to pretend to be European to have any Google cached content about you removed
Wait, what is this about? I'm an european myself and I didn't know about this.

I routinely browse tor/freesites, order things on dark web and so on, have been doing it for years. Your advice on safe internet is shit or atleast babby tier. For a normie is safe internet is simply having some common sense.
Now fuck off retard

why no sequencing commas?

>why no sequencing commas?
You mean the Oxford comma? Because like everything else, it tells things about you.

Basically the only people aware of it are university educated people in the Commonwealth/British English speaking world.

Same with semicolons, except those are even rarer.

And don't use systemd, use init.d or OpenRC

well fug, i use both all the time, i thought they were standard because
>x, y, and z
have different implied meaning than
>x, y and z

basic browser security is easy: install ublock origin and umatrix in firefox. strictly enable only the sites you need.
do not install any other addons or extensions(that means no flash, unity web player, etc.)
this may be outdated in case third party trackers won't be used any longer.

if you have higher security requirements, you need to learn all the details anyway

Generally which you mean is clear from the context. If I say something like "Sally bought flour, eggs and milk", it's pretty clear that I mean "flour and eggs and milk".

Really? I'm ESL and nothing about this use of the comma really stands out to me. It just looks like the proper usage of a comma.
Yes, I'm aware that you pointed out the Commonwealth speaking world, but...just how did the "non-Oxford" comma came to be? People who are too lazy to add an extra comma? Or to use less printing ink? Illiterate people?
This is puzzling to an outsider, how come only people who are/were in academia know this?

you missed the other variant: flour, eggs, and milk. in certain cases the placement of the comma implies affinity, which is unwanted

Wow, this is exactly what I do, and I'm a housewife from Des Moines.

>use virusfox

seriously firefox is one of the few reliable ways to get a virus in the current year

just forget that relic

because the average person is fucking stupid

Wow, this is exactly what I do, and Im a road inspector from from Austin, Texas.

It's just the educated type of speech/writing. Every language has this stuff, and you should avoid it.

Wow, this is exactly what I do. I'm a Penis Inspector from Poughkeepsie. Pin me on Pinterest!

How do you get the router to deny ads if you're connected to a VPN?

What is so bad about sounding educated, really? If anything, this will make you more trustworthy.

Why hide your proficiency? Unlike in IT, where once you "reveal your powerlevel" you get constant requests to do stuff, but knowing proper grammar...shouldn't be something you should hide at all - there is nothing you will be asked or forced to do! So what if you sound "educated"?

because you can be tracked by speech patterns baka

>use an antivirus
>not use chromium
shig

Did you forget which thread you're in?

Talking about how to not be tracked. Your knowledge is knowledge about you, they're breadcrumbs that lead back to you, you need to obscure that as much as possible if you want to achieve the goal.

Don't take advice from Sup Forums

>What is so bad about sounding educated, really?

in social and face to face interactions: nothing, that is actually a good thing

here, it is bad because it gives you away. let me explain

I, for example, have a bad habit of writing like the OP does. I find myself breaking my lines after each of them. That is something that makes my posts somewhat identifiable, because others here don't do that.

Let me give you more examples.
There is a guy who uses to post with a bunch of apostrophes around words he wanted to emphasize (I doubt """""""""that""""""""")

After one week, I was seeing his posts multiple times a day and recognizing him.
Then we had the guy who was spamming nigger selfies all over this board, and trying to be subtle by asking a really vague and just barely technology-related question, and he wouldn't even stay within the threads, he would just move on to make another. He flooded this place for over a month. People were giving him genuine replies, not knowing what was going on.

Now, look at me. My grammar in my post, as far as I know, is perfect so far.
A guy who is always on point with his writing is now identifiable.

so what if one day i started to type like this. and used uk style spelling such as grey and colour. this is how we can shake up the algorithms that data mine our posts. even if it has a small impact any impact still counts.

(You)

Back to your containment board

routers have VPN capabilities, duh

I agree with the speech pattern thing, but proper comma usage will just make you stick a tiiiiiny bit more than the average person. There's no real danger there, is there? It was a bit of a rant as well - I knew in which thread I was, but...
Sup Forums actually offers solid advice most of the time, though, especially on privacy issues. If the majority of the internet knew what is "common sense" to you anons, it would be a much better and safer place.
I've actually picked up that habit, unknowingly! You might've pointed out my posts a couple of years ago with a rather high accuracy, but now - not quite. Just between you and me, I do prefer EE rather than AE. It's just more natural.

>There's no real danger there, is there?
The thing is, we don't and can't know what danger can be associated with what until we're caught out.

An adversary might be tracking you for years, building up a profile, trying to track your posts by time of day, then identifying within threads like this what other posts are yours to build upon their profile of you.

It might not just be that one comma out of place, but that one comma may lead to something else, like a particular grammar style that you're not conscious of, or an over-reliance on a particular word, or an admission about a certain area of knowledge you're proficient with.

This can lead to other things, other posts, other threads.

Personally, I'm far more aware of some of this stuff, because I've actually studied linguistics, and there are definite identifiable tells, from both native and non-native speakers alike.

Which is why you have to be conscious of as much as possible, because there are likely other things that you're not conscious of. Cover up what you can, to minimise the risk as much as possible.

well said, I cannot add anything to this, and you're exactly on point

>you'll never meet your friends on Sup Forums irl without the fear of getting stuffed into a black van and murdered by any 3 letter group

why

u always want be someone but be nobody)) faceless man with much to say but no show