Make totally impractical 220w CPU

>Make totally impractical 220w CPU
>Force motherboard manufacturers to overbuild VRMs on mid range non enthusiast boards to support it without dying
>All 990FX boards that support FX9590 are now insane overclockers that can at least handle 4.7GHz 24/7 and get a long lifespan

How can a chip manufacturer be so based?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8zTzpYjQ2MM
techpowerup.com/227521/intel-core-i5-7600k-tested-negligible-ipc-gains
guru3d.com/articles_pages/call_of_duty_infinite_warfare_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,8.html
guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_1_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,9.html
guru3d.com/articles_pages/gears_of_war_4_pc_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_3mCpblX7zs
techpowerup.com/219275/intel-readies-a-5-1-ghz-xeon-chip-based-on-the-broadwell-architecture
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>enthusiast CPU
>using on non-enthusiast board
at least try next time

sometimes they just want to do something cool.
not every engineer wants to be chained to consumer as-low-price-as-possible chips.

>4.7GHz
It's still shitty single core performance tho.

The wattage does not matter to people who want the cpu listed as the fastest megahertz

Shame about the real performance though

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

Ayyyy

youtube.com/watch?v=8zTzpYjQ2MM

>Force motherboard manufacturers to overbuild VRMs on mid range non enthusiast boards
I don't think that happened because most boards do not support them.

Yes, later model gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 boards had their VRM upgraded to handle the 9590, revisions 1.0 to 3.0 cannot handle it.

>Intel produces 130w tdp cpus, no one cares,
>AMD makes 125w FX8350, everyone shits the bed

Compare the performance differences then join the club.

I know intel is several hundred dollars faster user, but my point is if the FX8350 is a housefire, aren't the high end enthusiast i7s housefires too? they put out 140w i think it is for the 5960X.

That's not how it works user, AMD is small, so it's shit, get it?
Intel is big, you can't shit on Intel, same with Nvidia.

Forget about actual specs and prices, fanboyism does not work like that.

It's not about the TDP user
The 8350 is called a housefire because it literally has no thermal protectors and overheats like a motherfucker due to it's OCTO MOAR CORES XDDD"
You can't just say
>Well shit this has higher TDP so it's obviously a housefire
The 8350 despite having lower TDP always produces nuclear reactor amounts of heat

>The 8350 is called a housefire because it literally has no thermal protectors and overheats like a motherfucker due to it's OCTO MOAR CORES XDDD"
This is plain lying, every CPU since at least the Core's will heavily throttle if overheating Tmax, and will shutdown before TJmax
Also the moar cores meem isn't the reason why Bulldozer can get hot at high clocks, it's due to the shit leaky process they used for quite some time
>The 8350 despite having lower TDP always produces nuclear reactor amounts of heat
You failed middle school or something? Or are you american?

>if reaching Tmax
fix'd

bump

Can you even overclock these?

>It's not about the TDP user
There is literally nothing but the TDP to how much heat an electrical component produces. That's the whole point of the TDP.

>Totally unable to make a better chip
>JUST MAKE IT GO FASTER WE HAVE TO COMPETE

>Or are you american?
Kill yourself and leave this website.

That is literally the worst CPU ever made. Not even a full AMD fanboy would defend it. It's terrible in every possible way.

Meh, it's a novelty and a publicity stunt. I think it served its purpose. It got people talking, it wasn't designed to do anything else.
Your and idiot kill you'reself.

Oops, meant to quote

I fried one of these when I tried to use peanut butter as thermal paste.

>enthusiast CPU
>poorfag Pajeet company
lol

Embarrassing. How did AMD go so wrong? The Phenom II was pretty good. I hope Zen turns out well.

Delet this you fag, you're making me think my 990FX platform might be shit.

bump for based FX8350 that is still sold new for some fucked up reason.

>AM3+
>still comparable to current intel processors
>5+ years old
They literally planned ahead, their cpus allow so much headroom for OCing and thats all it takes to update performance. Intel fags worry too much about their temps while Ayymd works 'fine' WHILE ON FIRE. Intel BTFO

Also 990FX was super modern when it came out in 2011, USB 3.0 headers, 6 sata 3 ports that don't corrupt data and were native to the chipset, it's just beautiful.

it's shit like any other things maked by AMD
USB 3.0 not native and AM3+ do not support PCI-E 3.0
In 2011 AMD make HD 7970 which have PCI-E 3.0 but no mobo for that

Well even to this day we don't have cards that are really bottlenecked by PCIe 2.0. AMD got 990FX right from the beginning, it was a late 2011 release, there were no problems, you didn't have to worry about the boards having sata controller corruption, you bought it, you built it, and you got almost the performance of an i7 for a good price.

Don't forget to enlist and go die for Israel.

Shit, if AM3+ weren't so cheap and available I'd recommend an X58 over it anytime, they have PCI express 2.0 just like 990FX, and the single core is way better.

techpowerup.com/227521/intel-core-i5-7600k-tested-negligible-ipc-gains

more like kaby kek right?

Intel really hasn't done shit since Ivy bridge but shrink the dies for more GHz, that's why AMD can drag 990FX into 2016, it's relatively modern, yes the FX8350 creates 125w of heat and performs 77% as good as a 6700k, but it costs less than half as much.

Ironically the FX chips are doing really well recently. It helps that guru3d are now pitting an 8370 against a 5960x in their vidya testing and for some of the latest and greatest the difference is shockingly small.

guru3d.com/articles_pages/call_of_duty_infinite_warfare_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,8.html

guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_1_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,9.html

guru3d.com/articles_pages/gears_of_war_4_pc_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

Considering the 5950x has over twice the IPC and has twice the thread count those results are quite shocking.

I'm just waiting for zen so I can grab a cheap 6300/8320 used.

I never cared about the FX line when it was new, but I just picked up a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 revision 5 for a new build to replace my 10yo Dell Optiplex, it's just so worth it, waiting on zen to see if the chip comes down in price, but I've at least got my platform, and it was affordable.

Go for the 8320e for that delicious low voltage which makes overclocking easier.

We already died for israel.

better is only better if it was done cheap.

bad is only bad if the bad guys do it.

here is an option

I agree.
My shitty 60$ Gigabyte board is still going strong. This card is sturdy.

>tfw 80$ fx6300
A little machine that could

Real performance is like mid tier i5's though. I fell for the fx-8350 meme. I get better single core performance from my i3-4160.

are you by any chance stuck in the early 2000's?

multicore is getting there. these 'old' amd chips are now flaring up, with dx12 getting more and more relevant, yet price is dropping every day, with every zen teasings.

I'm going to go full on AMD when Zen comes out just to flex my epeen. I'm thinking an 8c/16t zen with 32gb ram slapped into the best motherboard on the x370 platform. I will hopefully be able to bolt my 250w capable cooler to it (please let AM4 use the same mounting as AM3+) and see how high it clocks.

From there my 290x will tide me over until full fat vega which - if it performs like I hope - will let me make the jump to 4k.

bump

a FX-9590 is an overclocked FX-8350.

you might as well get an FX-8350 because the newer produced ones are as good as the FX-9590

Also, like OP pointed out, newer 990FX boards have really clean power delivery to even run a 9590, so gaymer boards aren't really needed to get that 4.7GHz.

>you might as well get an FX-8320e

FTFY

As a rule the E chips are the cream of the crop and there is marginal difference between 8320e and 8370e. For the last 2 yewars basically every vishera chip will hit 5ghz if you can cool it.

You're still pumping 1.45v+ through the board and realistically the asus 990fx pro/sabertooth are the best boards for the job. The grand daddy crosshair remains king of the hill but it costs so much.

>amd
>enthusiast
lol

FX-8320e and newer FX-8350s are now about the same. PGS revisions with different configurations

This, and the latest FX CPUs make it easy either way.

Meanwhile Intel chips out perform it by miles and consume much less power

true but the 8320e is typically cheaper and the lower voltage curve goes a long way for overclocking. My 8320 required 1.5v for 4.7ghz. My 8320e (I killed the 8320 with stupidity) wants 1.428. Hell it will run stable at 1.416 but 1.428 covers me for those fringe cases where load spikes and vdroop might fuck me.

Guess what? Not all workloads can be parallelized. Stop thinking multithreading is the future.

#NotAllWorkloads

>xeon phi

>a FX-9590 is an overclocked FX-8350.
Yea, but can the 9590 be overclocked further or is this pretty much at its limits?

If an FX-8350 can, then yes. It's literally just a FX-8350 with a forced configuration.

nice job on that OC.

If you want to cook yourself alive in your mom's basement, yes

Yeah but not much. Usually only an extra 200-300mhz.

Some have gotten higher though

>enthusiast boards
*manchild boards

FTFY

Mfw mine sits comfortable under 60c at 5.2 mfw i have 3x140mm rad

That much radiator surface area could cool a goddam POWER8 chip.

You're wrong. It's not about the TDP because AMD and Intel literally use different ways to calculate their wattage ratings so they're not even comparable.

he meant to say that single "corely" will perform worse than a intel. if you multi-thread, when the one thread part get executed on a single core will shit itself sided with a intel.

To be fair a 9590 is a shining example of both the maturity of the 28nm node and TDP rating. That said iirc Intel make a 5ghz xeon just for the NSA that is not available for purchase (read: its going to have a similar 200w TDP due to loads of cores at 5ghz).

In many ways the 9590 exists as a proof of conept (not unlike the fury x does in the gpu space) as a product that pushes existing silicon to the limit just because the foundry can. Imagine if Nvidia built 1200mhz factory clocked kepler (think 780 and 780ti) chips or Intel made a special 4770k that was 4.5ghz out of the box.

youtube.com/watch?v=_3mCpblX7zs

Remember: if AMD builds it, it can be overclocked. youtube.com/watch?v=_3mCpblX7zs

>if AMD builds it, it can be overclocked

*only if you have a Black Edition™ processor

>2.7GHz non black CPU overclocked
Ay nigga what?

Black edition hasn't truly been a thing since the phenom. All of the current fx are unlocked and msot of the A* chips are unlocked too.

In the gpu space every chip can be overclocked and only a few are voltage locked (which limits max OC, not the fact it can be overclocked). Hell TRIXX - a sapphire utility- allows for +200mv by default for hawaii and thats card killing territory.

>most

Not all, though. Your earlier statement was wrong.

>To be fair a 9590 is a shining example of both the maturity of the 28nm node
user, please. Don't talk about things you don't understand.
No Piledriver based part is 28nm bulk.
The FX Centurion line is just a higher leakage binning of the same Vishera dies used in the rest of the FX 8350 line up. They're all IBM's 32nm PD-SOI process run at Global Foundries.

That has been in production for what, 6 years? Both AMD and IBM have squeezed it dry of refinements.

In essecence the 8320e/8370e are what piledriver shoul've been from day one.

No you fucking idiot.
Haven't you heard of bclk overclocking?

Not the guy you were replying to but I'm in the same god damn boat.
Running an OC'd 8350 @ 4.5 right now with an older R9 270X and I'm planning on doing basically the same thing, but I'm going air cooling. I have a Cryorig R1 ultimate with dual Noctua Industrial PPC 3000RPM fans that I hope will work.

I've started buying parts I know I will need (I got a 1000W PSU recently) beforehand since I plan on upgrading to doing a crossfire Vega build.

Shit's exciting man, glad to see someone else is doing the same as me.

Post-upgrade my old components are going into an old beige shitty case to use as a sleeper/LAN party build then I'm going to throw on my old Hyper 212 Evo for the cooler and probably back down the OC a bit. Really don't need the OC it's plenty fast as is but it was more of a "because I can" thing.

Unless you responded to the wrong post you are too stupid to even put into words.

To be fair with the power reduction node shrinks bring a 1kw psu is the domain of multi-gpu and insane overlocked (insane to the point of LN2). I personally am a big believer in air cooling given 1) cpus cnnot into water due to surface area and 2) gpus have monster air cooling available.

I must admit should the likes of EK make a motherboard block for X370 I would be tempted to spend that bit extra and have a monstrous mobo + chip + gpu loop but the rad space required is going to be staggering and I'm not a fan of multiple radiators (vs one hige rad) for my R4.

Plus at the end of the day air cooling lets me be lazy and not clean my shit out every 6 months which is what water demands. Still i'm not adverse to a custgom loop if (and only if) the gains are worth it. hawaii is worth it on water but fiji/polaris are not so it remains to be seen what vegfa will do and fuck knows on the zen front (but as a rule cpus are not worth cpu cooling due to surface area - its why a D15 rivals many 240mm AIO units).

Despite all of the above the ability (fuck reason) to go full custom loop is tempting. I may not be 8pack but a system like he might ruhn I can build.

I meant
Gosh now I feel like an idiot.

Any dual rad clc will be plenty imo.

I've got an i7 870 running at 4.1ghz off a seidon 120v plus. It's staying below 90° Celsius too.

You would be amazed how much difference it makes when you push/pull on your cpu cooler.

Also my i7 shouldn't be too far behind in power consumption compared to the fx.

I've got an 8320e on pic related running at 4.7ghz at 1.428v and it won't hit thermal throttling (i.e 70c) under IBT loads. I won't lie that I run it close to said thermal limit but equally i'm slamming 200w through a mobo rated for 140w.

As a heatsinklet, I am feeling insecure here.

>amd
>anything
MULTIPLE KEKS WERE HAD SIMULTANEOUSLY

Yeah man I was considering going full liquid and maybe will later but to start I love the idea of a huge dual tower cooler. It's effectively two 140mm rads because, well, it has two rads that hold 140mm fans. Pretty thick rads too, and lots of heatpipes arranged in a smart way. Lol under full load ~4.5 (I have a sorta bum and also very early 8350 so I need like 1.44V to get 4.5) and the temps never really get above 50. I stopped OCing further because of voltage not because of heat.

I still may go liquid, though.
But my idea for liquid was to get ahold of a radiator from an EK series Honda Civic and put a like 240mm fan or something on it, and mount it to the wall or the side of the PC. Or maybe an aftermarket oil cooler and just fill it with the PC coolant. Either way basically just use car parts and a strong pump to create a huge rad surface and get crazy cooling.

I always thought it seemed silly to pump water from the outlet of one block into the inlet of another. Like, isn't that water already hot? Or is not that not how it works?

My solution to this would be to take the output from the rad and say we are cooling a CPU and 2 GPUs then split into 3 simultaneous "Cool" pipes and bring them back with 1 "hot" pipe.
I'd use the pump in a "suck" configuration so it gets the cool water into it and thus fails less often.

Also why need a reservoir if you use a car-sized radiator? Not enough coolant? (Reason I say Honda rad is because I saw my dad's and it is tiny, seriously like a 240mm rad but square not rectangle.)

Were you saying my 1000W PSU isn't powerful enough? I was hoping it was but I got worried because the R9 Fury pro or whatever is like a 500W card! That's fucking insane! I thought I was fucked but maybe Vega will be nice efficient cards.

>Only 60C
Turn it up to 5.5

To be fair a 140w heatsink covers 99% of chios out there. Those dual tower monsterts like the D15, R1 ultimate and silver arrow are for pushing the limits of air/ water territory and should be viewed as such. As air is more reliable than water and AIO a shit premium air > water until you hit custom loop.

I'm a girm believer that water is only worth it for cpu + gpu loops plus motherboard. Its easy to watercool chips but to stop their vrms frying? thats full lopp (and srs bsns) territory). Its why plebs who post hybrid cooled maxwell/pascal chips are just that - they are boadting about running their chips half-cocked when serious OC is about cooling the power delivery to achive effeiency as well as frequency.

Pic semi-related. Balls-to-the-wall air cooling hawaii.

tl;dr if you can't go full custom water, go air. AIO go and stau go (except EK predator).

>This level of autism

That's fine for most processors though

Yeah I only plan on forcing my 8350 to 4.2GHz or more on stock Vcore when it eventually gets built, the TX3 should handle it.

That's what I'm saying, I feel like there's not too much of a point to water when my huge head-sized cooler can pretty much take care of anything I could possibly want. With those upgraded fans, it just absolutely sucks the heat away no problem. Though I'm waiting on an RMA for one right now, since I got a DOA but seriously some great fans..Hng.

But yeah I always thought about that, what happens because your CPU isnt the only thing getting hot and if you put a liquid loop on it you're more or less just putting a cap on a storm. You are containing that heat which is great and dandy but how are you going to cool off the power delivery? With air cooling you need to get better airflow in the case, and with the proper airflow setup you assist in cooling the VRMs.

That said do you ever see a point in the prefab "sealed" liquid loops (shit like Corsair and NZXT and everyone and their brother are making nowdays?) like is there really a point? I don't see how there is other than maybe RAM clearance (Since air coolers are so big) but the price point is crazy for relocating elsewhere the same or similar radiator surface area as a dual tower 140mm heatsink like my R1 ultimate is?? Is there really a point?

>Is there really a point?

In my book? No. Ram heatspreaders are snake oil and a full block for gpus is more important for gpus that respond to voltage.

If I had a maxwell/pascal gpu in the here and now hybrid makes eense due to both architectures give no fucks about voltage (and thus need no additional vrm cooling). For hawaii/fiji (lel polaris) moar volts = moar niggawatts and as such a full cover block matters. Kepler and tahiti equally can intol voltage. Makes me wish I had bought a 290x lightning and bolted custom cooling to it.

Yeah, I always thought they were kind of hokey looking. Like, I guess they're interesting but a lot of people buy them and assume theres not maintenance to do on them and just kind of leave them alone. My friend had one and the liquid started leaking out, or not really leaking just evaporating and hes just like "yeah they do that." and its like why would you want this?

AIOs are watercooling for retards. Substandard product for substandard people.

>It's not about the TDP because AMD and Intel literally use different ways to calculate their wattage ratings so they're not even comparable.
Physically impossible.

>That said iirc Intel make a 5ghz xeon just for the NSA that is not available for purchase
Haha, no they don't.

This makes me feel better about my choice to go air cooling over most of the people I know with AIO coolers. Except my one richfag friend who has a custom loop and a 1080

techpowerup.com/219275/intel-readies-a-5-1-ghz-xeon-chip-based-on-the-broadwell-architecture

Follow a related searched - Intel made such a chip but its not for plebs.

As ever the golden rule is if you can't provide 280mm rad space go air.