Going mechanical for the first time

Going mechanical for the first time.

Have used Logitech LCD Keyboards for the last decade (literally)

Decided on the G810.

Thoughts ?

Other urls found in this thread:

corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-k70-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-red-ch-9000118-na
lioncast.com/en/shop/lioncast-led-keyboard-lk30/index.php
lioncast.com/en/shop/lioncast-lk20-mechanische-gaming-tastatur-cherry-brown/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get a keyboard with detachable cable and cherry switches.

Go with the G710 and you'll shave about $30 off while still getting the same features with decent cherries.

That or just get a Ducky Shine One.

The Romer-G tech is apparently better to everyone unless you want more clack in your clicks.

G710 doesn't look bad, G810 is $130 on Newegg.

G710 has Cherry MX switches, why use those ?

Why go Ducky ?

Cherry MX Blue, not Red.

Blue switches are best for everything besides gayming, plus it's a cheaper board than the G810 with the same featureset.

As for Ducky, they're basically the gold standard for mech boards. Basic, but solidly built and very comfortable to use.

I've only seen a few reviews say this, but they think the keycaps on the G810 are weak and after months of heavy use they could have issues.

I know the board was release in Feb of this year, so perhaps they haven't been around long enough for it to happen.

I tend to use a keyboard for 5-8 years before replacing it.

you want G610 if you want cherry
thats only logitech keyboard with it

if you want to play with buying custom keycaps
you might want to go for CM masterkeys or some filco keyboard
since logitech has non standard space and shifts

I can't stand blue switches personally.
Much prefer reds or browns.

Ducky is definitely a good place to start.
Other options are WASD keyboards and Vortex

You can always refer to /r/mechanicalkeyboards if you want to learn more about them

Don't wan to buy caps, just want to buy it and not worry for years.

What the fuck, key ghosting/rollover is a thing.

All of this is new to me.

well G610 then if you want cherry switches
brown switches with white backlight look pretty damn sexy IMO

but be careful with such talk about keycaps around real mechanical keyboard fanatics... custom keycaps with some special double dipped plastic that never gets worn out or shit is all they live for

I really wish logtichech would have tenkeyless version of G610 with the volume drum and dedicated media keys...

I certainly do live for it.

But really, need a general budget if you want to get down to refining what you want.
Do you need/want macro keys?
Do you want a fullsize keyboard or would you go for something smaller like a tenkeyless or a 60% keyboard?
Do you want the keys to be clicky, quiet, easy to press, harder to press?

$180

I did, but I actually never end up using more than a few for any specific game

Fullsized, might couple it with a G13 down the road.

I'm fine wit hhow membrane keyboards feel, not opposed to clicky, I want a middle ground of firm and soft.

They need to be quiet, or just not loud. Base volume level would be what a G510 sounds like, or a normal $20 USB keyboard not aimed at business use as I know those are extra silent.

I'd say in terms of switches you'll want reds or browns. In terms of volume they're about the same, the only real difference is that browns have a slightly tactile feel to them whereas reds are linear so you won't feel a 'click' when the key pushes past a certain point.

$180 is a great budget, you can get virtually anything.

I'd say your best bet is the G710 with Brown switches, the Tt eSPORTS Poseidon Z with browns , or you can try a Rosewill RK-9000 V2 which has options for red, brown, blue, or black switches. Blues are very loud, very clicky. I've not used blacks but I have it on good authority that they're rather loud in comparison.

If you find that reds or browns are still too loud you can buy a pack of rubber o-rings to put on the switches to dampen the sound a little bit.

It's me from this post: If you're looking for something really high end then I'd say your options are:
Corsair K95 (Not the best keyboard in the wor;d but it's good if you need macro keys)
The Ducky One which has switches in Blue, Black, Red, or Brown
Or the WASD v2 Keyboard. This one has a choice of Blue, Black, Red, Brown, Clear. From my understanding clears are quite hard to press and reasonably clicky.

The bottoming out concept, I'm going to sound like a retard, but when I hit a key I don't stop it midway. I just hit it with a predetermined amount of force using muscle memory. So is bottoming out a key just hitting it with a normal amount of force and it stops, or is it pressing it harder than it's supposed to, or does it mean like what it sounds as in going further than halfway ?

Any complaints about Romer-G ?

The Corsair K series is what I was looking at as well, they're basically a G810, but I heard the software blows ass.

How do Cherry MX Red compare to Romer-G ?

Are membrane key response times all slower than all mechanical KB's (for rapid key pressing) ?

I fucking hate the Romer G switches. They're really clunky, and from what I've seen are far less durable than normal cherry switches.

Cherry reds are far easier to press, and quieter.

Bottoming out is just when you press the key all the way down.
What you need to look into is 'actuation point' which means how far down the key needs to be before it registers as pressed. Reds and browns will register at about thee halfway point, allowing you to type a lot faster as you can just lightly tap the key and move on to the next.
Compared to switches like Mx Blues and Rober-Gs which have to be fully pressed and depressed before you can press them again. This is what makes them worse for gaming as often you'll need to be tapping the same key quite often. It causes a lot of fatigue and can actually lower reaction times since you need to press the key in fully before it registers and then fully unpress it before you can use it again.

They're usually lower but from my understanding there are some really high end membrane ones that function just fine.

Really liking the Corsair Vengeance K95

But the slit to the right as well as above and to the right of the G keys makes it look like the macro section is detachable.

So on a membrane Kb you have to bottom out to trigger the response.

So inherently all mechanical ones are faster ?

Really eying that Corsair Vengeance K95

Can you comment on the software ?

Long life is VERY important to me, as I said I easily can use a keyboard for 5+ years, with very heavy use every single day.

It's not detachable. Personally I'd avoid it unless you absolutely have to have macro keys. The quality of the case material is really quite sub par in my opinion

lol the website brags about Aircraft grade aluminum casing or some shit too.

Can't comment on the software. Haven't used it.
And yes, you have to bottom out on all membrane keyboards.

So at the very least I'm used to doing that, and it would only get better due to everything offering a faster response time.

It's really shit.
It'll last long enough but if you can avoid it I would.
I'm not sure if the g710 or the g710+ has macro keys.
If it does then I'd maybe go for that one instead.

If you can really live without macros then I'd go for the ducky one. It's going to last you forever.

Exactly. You'll find that over time you'll begin automatically adjusting your typing style for gaming and messaging etc.
You'll instinctively only press it far as you need to.

I'll say now though, once you adapt to mechanical you'll fucking hate using anything else.
It's not so bad though, they Rosewill one I mentioned is about $40 so if you need a quick replacement it's a good go to

Now I'm paranoid about Romer-G vs Cherry Mx Red in terms of lifespan and noise, mostly life span now.

If the ducky one offered media keys and the same look as the G810 I'd get.

It would also be nice to get one that would be easy to clean.

Cherry switches will outlast romer-g switches by far.

different user here, I would like to comment then the Tt eSports Poseidon is a good quality keyboard
I got the model with the blue switches in it and it has held up better then any of the mechanical Logitech stuff

When I bought it I didn't realize that there was a model with browns in it or I would have got that
as I am planning on swapping the switches from a G710+ that died to this keyboard.
I have also added o-rings to the Tt Poseidon to try to make the blues a bit quieter

overall good keyboard.

All cherry keyboards are easy to clean.
I'm not 100% but the ducky should have media function keys. I'll check when I get home.

The same user that's been posting this whole time.

I can agree with this user.
The tT eSports is a really good entry level mechanical keyboard. It's why I included it in my suggestions.

I'm leaning towards are Corsair board now.

I really, really need it to last years and years with heavy use.

I can go without macro keys, if the Corsair series supports the F1-12 key reprogramming that would be fine.

corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-k70-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-red-ch-9000118-na

Wouldn't have trapped dust under keys ?

You can remove cherry caps with ease.
Get a key cap puller for like $2 to help.
It's literally that easy. It works on all cherry switches

If you want to go with the corsair one then do do.
The k70 is pretty solid.
The k95 will still last you a few years, just don't think it'll do you any good for anything more than 3 or so

To add to what I said about the key cap puller:
Dust can get trapped under the keys but it won't affect the key itself out performance. It won't get all gunky like membrane does either

Well, my membrane Logitech ones lasted me 6 years each.

Are membrane boards inherently longer-lasting ?

They also only failed due to me, not build quality.

Are you implying the keys will fail ?

I don't plan on picking it up and bashing someone in the head with it.

Not at all, cherry switches tend to last around 8 - 10 years.

So those failure comments are just paranoia ?

My use isn't extreme, various games every day, lots of key presses, but I won't be playing a clicker for 8 years using the keyboard.

I don't see any validity to the Romer-G failing claims people are alluding to.

Red's sound really nice.

I never said they failed. Just that they were less durable. I'd estimate around a 5 - 6 year lifespan.

The main issue is that if one of them does decide to die, they can't be repaired or replaced as far as I am aware, meaning you'd have to get an entirely new keyboard. If that's not so much of an issue then by all means go Romer-G but I'll always recommend Cherry or even Gateron switches over them. Cherry switches can be replaced with ease, you can buy individual switches for a few bucks. All it takes is some basic soldering knowledge.

I love my reds so much.

Testting

Lioncast LK30 Cherry Brown - 150€

lioncast.com/en/shop/lioncast-led-keyboard-lk30/index.php

Lioncast LK20 Cherry Brown (tenkeyless version) - 80€

lioncast.com/en/shop/lioncast-lk20-mechanische-gaming-tastatur-cherry-brown/index.php

I bought the LK20 about 2 weeks ago. Best keyboard I have ever used.

These don't look half bad. A little pricey but from a glance it seems worth it.

>Thoughts ?
>>>/mkg/

Small German brand. Can't go wrong with that.

German keyboards are generally good quality.
Take a look at Das keyboards

> /mkg/

wat

Mechanical Keyboard General

So the only real complaint with the G810 is if a key breaks I'm fucked since you can't buy replacement keys, or if you could they wouldn't be cheap. And the Board itself might not be as sturdy, but that doesn't mean it's flimsy ?

Go to Sup Forums and search for mgk

Get the prodigy series board

That's the gist of it.

Honestly though, if you like Romer Gs then get a Romer G keyboard. It's your keyboard, so you use what you want to use.

I hate them with a passion, so my opinion is biased a little bit, but they're solid enough, I mean if they last 6 years then that's good enough, no?

Why do you hate them ?

As I've never used one, I have to start somewhere.

They boast that the switches are '25% shorter' as a feature. The idea being that not having to press it as far makes it more efficient for gaming, and though that is true, you still have to full press and depress each key before you can press it again.

Not only that, the shortness makes them feel clunky as fuck, and really really damned stiff. They don't 'click' per se, it kinda feels like a really solid rubber dome even though it's not.

It's just generally speaking unpleasant for me to type on. Even worse for gaming on. Which is ironic since they're put into "gaming" keyboards.

Really hard to understand if this is just a small preference thing, or a real issue.

No common reference point other than membrane keyboards.

Settle down, you butthurt dumb boys. Also, I'm an intelligent beautiful woman.

The first paragraph of simply an outline of how they work

The rest is purely preference.

The Ducky ones look nice, but I really want media keys, I can go without macro keys.

There's always the option of adding a G13 down the road.

Supposedly if I have two supported Logitech device that software will allow them to function in tandem and support all features

Get a model m