codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

jsbin.com/gahivol/1/edit?html,css,js,console,output
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-host-multiple-websites-securely-with-nginx-and-php-fpm-on-ubuntu-14-04
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm having a weird issue with a site I've made. I've built it to be responsive. It looks fine when resizing it in the browser.

However, when viewing it on an Android device in the Chrome browser, it has this weird issue where a small bar of whitespace appears at the bottom of the screen. The bar changes size depending on how fast I swipe downward, and whether or not the address bar is present on the top of the screen. To be honest, this page should not really be scrollable in the first place. It has a min-height of 100%, and there isn't any element within the page pushing beyond that 100% boundary with a margin or padding or something like that.

it sounds like you need this:
html {
height: 100%;
}
body {
min-height: 100%;
}

I have never had a problem with chrome overriding my css but I am reading that it does that and you need to force it:
html,body{
height: 100% !important;
}

remove the important, you shouldn't override since chrome does jack shit. If 100% width/height isn't working for html, body, then you've got an error somewhere else, use the highlightet tool in the chrome browser to see what section he's showing you.

Thanks for the suggestions dudes. I've fixed the issue by adding overflow-y: hidden to html and body, and adjusting the height rules for both elements

Should i learn django or node.js, which one is better?

node.js is not a framework

that is not a solid solution. find the error

>guy has difficult medium/senior-level 1 week gig.
>paying 13 an hour

Decide to take it for part-time hours and for portfolio/resume because I don't care about the pay.

He stopped emailing because I couldn't do full-time.

5 days go by and now he's saying to call him ASAP.

Guess he burned through a few 13/hr dreamweaver wizards who, go figure, couldn't do shit.

Maybe he even hired pajeet who said at 20 paid hours a day it would be done in 2019.

I think I'll cut him a break and do it anyways.

>Think Software developers / Programmers jobs are over saturated.
>Been prograamming as a hobby for like 8 years.
>Consider myself a junior in all languages i know
>Settle down for an avarage salary
>Quickly become Project manager / Lead programmer in the small company im in.
>Too many project for us to handle, time to recuit one or 2 people.
>Out of 8 people i had interviewed, noone knew what the fuck a framework was.
> 2 of them couldn't even make a loop to print an array of objects
> 1 was a female and couldn't even declare a variable right.

Holy. Fuck. Sup Forums

Its mindblowing the people that apply to programming jobs with this level of knowlage.

Been using angularjs 1.4 for 1 year. Should i move to angularjs 2.0?

doing shit in angularjs is comfy as fuck

ng2 is basically a completely different framework. It's mega complicated and feature-rich just like ng1. TS is pretty comfy. Overall, it's a pretty solid framework, and will probably continue to look good on a resume and see corporate use for years to come, assuming google doesn't decide to axe it.

Vue is the spiritual successor to AngularJS 1.x. Unless you want Angular 2.0 on your resume, try it and Mithril.js first. They are so much easier to learn.

What the last useful web thing you made? Show it you fuckers. Bonus points if it is relevant to 4chins somehow.

Useful for who?

>web
>useful
impossibru

I've installed nginx on my Loonix machine and it's working but the html folder is in /usr/ so I need root access to edit those files. How do you change the files in there? I could run my editor as root but that's inconvenient and I don't think it's a good idea

Interesting things to make with Laravel to improve my knowledge? So far I made a blog/cms and a facemash thingy.

edit them wherever and cp / git clone them in. Or run a vagrant box / docker container.

The guy wants me to send a resume for a 40 hour job at 13 an hour requiring pro skills.

WTF. I'm going to law down the law right now.

Dick rating site.

Alright thanks

Newest one is not done yet. Too much UI shit to do to show.

tfwnogf.com was useful though :^)

I think the best devs have imposter syndrome.

I can't stop learning to the point where my brain overwrites entire languages I haven't used recently.

Install Dokku.

whats the most painless way of deploying an asp.net server to a very cheap ($0?) host that maybe isn't isnt azure

i like c# and the robustness of the framework but i dont understand much of it and setting it up to deployment is kind of hard, should i just try to learn azure

You can get 1 year for free on AWS with a shitty windows server. They have tools that help with deployment (elasticbeanstalk).
AWS is not necessarily the best host after the 1 free year though.

How would you handle multiple client sites on a single server?

Docker, but if you're the guy from before who didn't want docker then idk.

I've tried docker but I can't even keep 3 sites running without one of them going down to memory limits. This is on a 1 GB digital ocean droplet.

Have you ever made a website for nefarious purposes?

Yes.

Details? What stacks?

2 wordpress sites, 1 django

Looking to add 1 react site but can't keep all three of the others running with Docker. Without docker I'm sure there wouldn't be any problem.

For now these aren't client sites, but I'm trying to set things up as if they were for the future.

First, check that you use Alpine, not Ubuntu, inside Docker.

FreeBSD jails could also work for you. They have better docs than Docker.

bump

Post the facesmash thing.

An imageboard. Duh!

im trying to blur something on click with js

something

nazi

>#fuck {
filter: blur(0);
}

// on clic on #a_button
Document.getElementById("fuck").style.filter="blur(50)";

but it doesn't filter:blur(50) anything, while other properties like this work:
Document.getElementById("fuck").style.background="red";

do ya kno y?

>quoting my dead post to edit
damn i'm tired as fuck

Good tutorials for form styling?

I need something very in-depth. I go full autism when it comes to forms and getting tired of cutestrap.

Is .webkitFilter available?

>can't keep all three of the others running with Docker
- Where's the bottleneck? Memory? CPU?
- Are they running slow, or is shit crashing? If so, do they crash on their own, or is it only when you try to do something? Do they all crash? Just one?
- Are they fairly stock setups, or are you trying to do any real-time stuff with them? (They should be sitting idle most of the time)

You should have no problem running 3-4 low/no traffic sites on a 1GB server.

As said, Alpine is worth a try.
You could also have them share a database. That wouldn't be recommended for real sites, but if they're just dummy sites for a portfolio it should be fine.

You have to use a px when using the blur filter.

jsbin.com/gahivol/1/edit?html,css,js,console,output

Please hire me. I'll work for 15/hr as a Jr Dev.

>Vue is the spiritual successor

I can't believe you've done this.

What do massive web frameworks offer that microframeworks don't?

How do I get good at CSS?

I literally spend most of my time on figuring out how the fuck to do CSS. And stackoverflow gives answers that almost always never work.

I don't know, man.

My backend took 2 days to finish and my CSS has taken a week already.

Practice, practice, practice.

There's just a shitload of edgecases, different browsers, and viewing formats that make life hard for that since unlike any back-end stuff which will probably run without any difference between them, CSS that works perfectly in one browser can easily be fucked in another, not counting for mobile. It just takes a lot of getting used to what works and what doesn't and trying to make something that will work for most displays.

You could always just cave and use a CSS framework like Bootstrap or Skeleton to get by.

Memory
Crash on their own, usually just one
Mostly static content

The problem is docker containers hitting the memory the limit. I am going to try what another user said and see if they are using Alpine. I haven't really tried to mess with these sites in a while so I am not sure exactly how I had them set up.

Learning CSS is easy, its the creativity that kills you. I can do just about anything with CSS, I can even replicate a lot of really good designs if given enough time. But ask me to come up with something original that actually looks good and I'm stumped.

this is my life right now. we've been trying to hire someone for a few months and everyone that comes in like has not even touched JS or PHP, for a web dev position. commooon

wtf just put them in a folder you have write access to and point yer server at that, if its just a dev box. or even if its not.

can you not just use virtual hosts for some reason?

Use http-server for basic css/js/html projects.

Alpine might help, but if they crash on their own it might be a memory leak. Try booting them up on your dev machine (where you presumably have more than 1GB of RAM) and seeing how much they hog on there.

But I can't do any of that then again I'm also not applying to any jobs

What the fuck?

How do these idiots get past HR when I can do everything but can't?

Let me guess, degrees?

we're really small so we don't have any HR its just my boss throwing people at us. i explained very clearly that they should have JAVA-SCRIPT OR PEE-AECH-PEE experience after the last one...

>JAVA-SCRIPT OR PEE-AECH-PEE

You mean like the coffee? I can bring peaches too.

Do you guys still use PHP to build web apps?
Is PHP making a comeback with PHP 7?
Will PHP every die since Wordpress is built on in?

PHP is fine for back-end, just don't use it for front-end.

I use it for back-end APIs that I use JS to interact with. Plenty viable.

That's a weird either/or. Like whats the point in hiring someone to do front end on the basis that they know at least php but don't know any js.

>install something globally with yarn on linux
>command not found
>yarn installs packages in /root/.bin
>and then links them in /usr/bin
jesus fuck

function musicForProgramming(task)
{
task = (task === undefined) ? 'programming' : task;
return 'A series of mixes intended for listening while '+task+' to aid concentration and increase productivity (also compatible with other activities).';
}

Saw this on a website linked by hackernewletter. Now, I'm a novice programmer, but why would they use an if-then-else statement and needlessly reassign 'task' like above where just initializing task with "programming" with an if-then statement would suffice?

Did they think the '?' operator looked l33t or something?

Don't listen to these retards recommending docker or any other virtualisation.
Every normal HTTP server supports vhosts (different domains on same IP pointing to different folders).

If you need additional security and service separation:
DO got article on nginx digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-host-multiple-websites-securely-with-nginx-and-php-fpm-on-ubuntu-14-04
If you use Apache, you can consider mod_privileges.
FreeBSD's jails are a very good option.

Docker is a fucking meme and waste of resources.

What do you guys think of Vertx?

Is it viable to build a reactive web app?

If you do, always make sure to style both background and *text* colour of inputs.
Many retards, including big companies (e.g. Google) fuck up there, and use white background with default text colour for inputs. Good luck with dark system themes, that use white text as default.

I lost my job 2 months ago, and I'm only now realizing that I could probably go back to a place I interned at 2 years ago and I might have a chance of getting hired.

Of course if I don't I'll lose any hope I have left

No reason, because they wanted to do it that way.

>Docker is a fucking meme and waste of resources.

care to elaborate? I really want to get to know Docker a little better , rather than just docs.

If you're not a poorfag trying to run 3 websites on 1 mediocre server, docker is good.

So apparently bootstrap+jquery+codeigniter isnt good enough anymore, people around here are suggesting Angular. Do I go 1 or 2?

It's use case is not for hosting static content or simple web pages. The exception can be one instance with e.g. nginx that hosts multiple webpages.

It's well suited for applications, often ones exposed to network. So it's okay to have a database running in separate docker instance.

You can use it also if you need two instances of the same software running, but in different configurations.

It's also useful if you need to manage big amount of services, as it lets you have an easy way to migrate them between machines.

Why not just point the DNS to different directories?

The fuck are you guys doing?

Don't make the same mistake I did and waste your time learning angular 2, unless you going to develop enterprise level apps.

Google is building angular for their (((partners))) and solving their own problems, not yours.

tough call. nobody uses 2 yet but it's going to replace things soon. The issue is it's a lot less intuitive which is a huge failure on the part of the creators since they were trying to make it easier

How do you guys look for people.

The big sites seem to only look for the Expert ninjas.

I think I have seen just two positions that are entry level in my city.

Houston

What's a framework that will let me do something I can't do in vanilla JS and PHP?

I dunno...I just solve all of my problems with JS.

The only framework I need is one that streamlines grids and animating element movement when the screen changes.

I'm bad at CSS.

What's the fastest way of making a webpage.

I need some tool, some mechanism. Right now I'm typing in everything from . I want speed and efficiency!

>What's the fastest way of making a webpage.

Templates.

Any specifics or standards?

Not really, you can find some templates on Bootstrap webpage, if you intend to use it.

I want my divs to animate to other parts of the screen.

How do I do this>

On scroll, I want textboxes to go from the center of the page, up to the top, inline in a navbar.

Is there like a motion tween thing?

Are Rails sites super slow or is the company i'm working at incompetant?

I swear the amount of sql queries running on the terminal for 1 single page is crazy.

Probably incompetent, depends on how these queries look.

To me they mostly look like they are the ones you can avoid if you add includes to your each loops. But i just started learning ruby and rails a month ago when they hired me so not sure.

Oh thanks

I learned Angular 2 because is the base of Ionic Framework 2 and Nativescript 2.
Perhaps Vue 2 will become a better option in the future, when the mobile framework the chinese are developing (Weex) becomes available.
Angular 2 will look fine in your resume.
Emmet?

if you only need 1 aspect of a framework you're likely wasting time reinventing the wheel

Not that user, but it sounds like they'll just take what they can get at this point

That's the whole point of yarn -- it only downloads packages once, then symlinks them so your node_modules folder isn't filled with 200 instances of left pad because every other package has it as a dependency. And I'm pretty sure you can specify where you want it to store the files.

PHP is not fine fuck off. It's the worst language I've ever had to use and all the PHP web frameworks suck too

Python+Django is the best

What other languages have you used in the past?

C, C++, Python, Java, Scala, JS, Rust

Besides having an stable API and object property typing, I'm not sure what else do you think is missing to be able to create a web backend with Symfony like you would do in Django.